Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just finished Picnic Panic dlc for The Messenger. It was alright, better than the second part of the main game but not as good as the first part.

The writing just gets more and more in the way and more annoying than ever before though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

American McGay posted:

Digital Foundry however are fun and informative dives into the technical side of video games.

Agreed. I like seeing the comparisons and changes, and I feel like they're very fair when it comes to identifying something is an actual issue or not. Like for instance, in the Bloodstained video they pointed out that instances where the visual downgrades in the Switch version weren't a huge deal, the times where there were issues, and one instance where the visual change could be seen as an improvement (the rain on the ship). And then they actually talked about the REAL issue with the Switch version--the input lag.

Basically, yeah, they're a bunch of turbonerds that care about framerate and resolution and visual effects but they also understand that just because one version isn't as flashy or shiny as another doesn't mean it's bad, especially when it comes to the Switch.

[Edit: their recent video on Turok was awesome and would have absolutely convinced me to buy it if I hadn't already]

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Luigi's Mansion tech analysis video from GameXplain showing al the technical improvements since the reveal was great imo

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The tricky thing with a Switch Pro is that Nintendo handhelds have always gotten improved versions, while Nintendo consoles really haven’t.

NES - top loader w/dog bone controllers
SNES - “mini” has RF video only I think?
n64 - nothing AFAIK
GC - component a/v out removed
Wii - GC controller ports removed
Wii U - slight battery improvement to game pad

No actual performance improvements and some outright removed functionality; meanwhile the Nintendo handhelds basically wrote the book on upgrade paranoia.

Personally I’m gonna jump on the impending battery upgrade and buy a Switch then. It’s as much of a QOL upgrade as any Nintendo console has gotten.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Minidust posted:

SNES - “mini” has RF video only I think?

It also had composite. S-Video and RGB can be re-added with a fairly simple mod.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So when’s there gonna be a super mario rammers for Switch?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So is Splatoon just like over now?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Only splatfests, you can still play the game online just fine.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Can you be more specific

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Logically there won't be a Switch Pro, but there will be a Switch Lite Pro.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Pollyanna posted:

Splatoon is never over.

Well, maybe when the next generation Nintendo console arrives, but for now the turfing continues unabated.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pollyanna posted:

I've seen so many posts like this since the announcement of the final Splatfest that I've been wondering if people think that thats all the online in Splatoon is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Everyone keeps asking if Splatoon is dead, yet nobody asks that about ARMS, presumably because everyone knows it's still alive and thriving.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

One day I will dust off my digital copy of ARMS and play again.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

"So, uh, is his video game just over?" - some dumb idiot

Mega64
May 23, 2008

When you Game Over in the game, you Game Over in real life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

a.lo posted:

"So, uh, is his video game just over?" - some dumb idiot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix_Online?wprov=sfla1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Online?wprov=sfla1

Plus most other mmos from the early 2000s

And all those online games from last gen where the online multiplayer was a unique coop campaign and the servers are down

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Matrix Online will return. Except now it's just explicitly about trans issues and nothing else.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Splatoon 2 will be fine until a 3 comes out. Even then it probably will be for a bit. A lot of people still play Splatoon 1.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol I just remembered how angry people got over the NES classic being announced.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Starlink is chill AF. Zoom around on different planets shooting stuff, scanning wildlife, building bases, exploring ruins, whatever! And if you want to mix it up fly into space and dogfight some pirates. There's a story, but I only play Fox and do whatever the hell I like.

IMO it's the closest thing Switch has to No Man's Sky, and I'm ok with that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll admit I play Splatoon far less than I would like. Mario Tennis is my game to play when I phone home and the monthly tourney awards keep me coming back at least monthly.

Smash has the least amount of delay from turning it on to playing online and I arguably like it better even if both are very different. Splatoon is super fun, but I'm less motivated without the Splatfests. I suppose I can get better at the ranked modes, or train to learn a new weapon... but my gaming time is so limited I end up doing the single player games I need to beat first. I need to make the effort to play with a mic and with goons more often. Those are great moments, there's just the time zone difference (thankfully No. 1 Callie Fan is around in Europe as well).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
As nice as it is to have Final Fantasy games on Switch. I hope Square-Enix ports Dragon Quest I-VI over and not just localized to Japan. I've playing through through the series lately after getting Dragon Quest XI on PC. I'm amazed how well each holds up and how good the remakes are.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any good 4 player local or couch games for switch people would recommend that are relatively unknown?
Eshop isn't a great help. But you find out things like Broforce is on switch and you wonder what else you missed.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Junkie Disease posted:

Any good 4 player local or couch games for switch people would recommend that are relatively unknown?
Eshop isn't a great help. But you find out things like Broforce is on switch and you wonder what else you missed.

Relatively unknown? You may like 9 Parchments .

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a Chinese knockoff or cheaper version of this? I wanna use my AirPods on my Switch, but if I can do it for less than $40, then shiiiiid.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly-for-airpods

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Junkie Disease posted:

Isn't Towerfall on Switch? As well as Nidhogg?

I feel like Road Redemption could be fun, if you could get around the loading times and pretty dire graphics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there a Chinese knockoff or cheaper version of this? I wanna use my AirPods on my Switch, but if I can do it for less than $40, then shiiiiid.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly-for-airpods

Look for USB-C dongles like the Genki or a cheaper knockoff. Don't get anything that uses the 3.5mm jack, it's gonna suck for gaming .

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Got nidhogg and towerfall, crawl, beatem up bundle

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Splatoon is never over.

Well, maybe when the next generation Nintendo console arrives, but for now the turfing continues unabated.

Are you saying that the next Nintendo console will be a mass Turf abater?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Junkie Disease posted:

Just Shapes & Beats

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Look for USB-C dongles like the Genki or a cheaper knockoff. Don't get anything that uses the 3.5mm jack, it's gonna suck for gaming .

I was looking for the 3.5mm ones because I'd use them while the Switch is docked :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Started playing MUA3 with my almost 5 year old. I will say, she is loving being all the girl characters and fighting the bad guys. She is doing somewhat well and having a ton of fun. The boss fights are killing me though. The Sandman fight was so long, and we had to replay it because we lost the first time. Why are these boss fights so long? She was thrilled when we beat Sandman, but like... 20 minutes of mashing the A button on that gun just about killed my interest in the game. At least the next boss fight had a little bit of strategy to it and went much faster.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Astro7x posted:

20 minutes of mashing the A button on that gun just about killed my interest in the game.

You can hold the a\interaction button, i think the gun shoots faster if you do, though it still does take long, you have to save up your extremes.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 22, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Junkie Disease posted:

Got nidhogg and towerfall, crawl, beatem up bundle

Where is this bundle?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Locke posted:

You're probably underestimating how done most consumers are of the Toy Game stuff.

This is true, but you better believe I picked up that Starlink deal for $1 to get the arwing. I’ll gladly ship someone the base game if they want it. I have the digital deluxe version, so it would just gather dust here.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ragequit posted:

This is true, but you better believe I picked up that Starlink deal for $1 to get the arwing. I’ll gladly ship someone the base game if they want it. I have the digital deluxe version, so it would just gather dust here.

I will take this with my whole body.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

LODGE NORTH posted:

I will take this with my whole body.

Works for me! Just sent over details.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Someone mentioned it recently so allow me to chime in and say that Mario Tennis is an amazing online co-op game, I play with Japanese randoms in online doubles and it's just excellent fun and the netcode isn't bad at all. I imagine it would be even better playing couch co-op with a partner in online doubles but my wife looks at me with a mixture of both contempt and disgust when I'm playing so that will remain hypothetical. It's great for five minute sessions or going on huge tournament winning sprees with some pubbie I manage to gel with

Also I only ever play as Toad because he makes the Zoidberg woop woop noise when he does trick shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
get psyvariar delta if you're smart