Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

And then they have the gall to not pair Lana against Kiawe so he can FINALLY get one over on her for a change

So many opportunities tossed straight out the window with the bathwater...

Hey man, he beat her in ping pong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh. Sophocles vs. Kiawe is more interesting. The difference in their personalities and overall level of confidence in themselves is a much more interesting dynamic.

Also, I question why anyone needs to "get one over on Lana". She's clearly the most competent trainer in the school aside from Ash and there's no real reason to have a dude subvert that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Unfortunately, she's going to go up against Guzma.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kiawe needs the safest wins to advance. Onewrong look and he'll worf. He would perish to Lana.

Plus Lana and Popplio met because Team Skull were bullying Popplio, her vs Guzma is a good fight setup.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, it'll be a real shame to see him murdered on screen

But in all seriousness, I meant another character from the primary cast

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Unfortunately, she's going to go up against Guzma.

She’s probably going down hard but I hope Lana at least puts up a decent fight against him.

I’d prefer her to win honestly (especially since every male vs female match in this most recent episode ended in a victory for the former) but I have a feeling Guzma will wind up making it to Ash if only for thematic reasons.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Yeah they've already built up that Ash's main rivals will be Hau, Gladion and Guzma for various reasons, especially Guzma, who is only here because he wants to humiliate Professor Kukui.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man for a member of the game elite four Acerola was nerfed.

How did Kiawe defeat a literal ghost anyway?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

less laughter posted:

"gee, I wonder what this thing that wobbles when it gets buffeted's name could ever mean :iiam: "
If you figured that out then more power to you but "buffet" isn't my go to word for punching bags and the wobble part was entirely lost on me. I am an idiot though so I'm not saying nobody got it, I just definitely didn't.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, is there another way to localize the Japanese name you can think of that would keep the pun intact?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've always liked "Soitgoes" as an alternative English name for Wobuffet.

That's the way it is.

So it goes.
This is good. They'd have to change the spelling to like Soetgoz or something but it'd work. Or if they knew about the Team Rocket connection just lean right into their localization and name it like Zazreit.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

How did Kiawe defeat a literal ghost anyway?

Acerola didn't use Mimikins, she used a Gengar while Kiawe used his Marowak.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so who are we thinking Ash will bring out vs. Gladion and vice versa? Pikachu vs. Silvally uses both their aces, but Pikachu has unsettled business with Guzma's Golisopod, so they may hold him back for the finals. The next most obvious matchup is Lycanroc vs. Lycanroc.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is good. They'd have to change the spelling to like Soetgoz or something but it'd work. Or if they knew about the Team Rocket connection just lean right into their localization and name it like Zazreit.

Oooo, Zazerit is also good.

Nodosaur posted:

so who are we thinking Ash will bring out vs. Gladion and vice versa? Pikachu vs. Silvally uses both their aces, but Pikachu has unsettled business with Guzma's Golisopod, so they may hold him back for the finals. The next most obvious matchup is Lycanroc vs. Lycanroc.

Hey, James might beat Gladion! We don't know for sure yet!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

That's probably the case actually, as it's kind of foreshadowed in the current opening... Although that could also means that Torracat is going to fight Masked Royal's Incineroar.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

She’s probably going down hard but I hope Lana at least puts up a decent fight against him.

I’d prefer her to win honestly (especially since every male vs female match in this most recent episode ended in a victory for the former) but I have a feeling Guzma will wind up making it to Ash if only for thematic reasons.

Yeaaahhhhh....I uh...noticed that. I'm not sure if the writers were aware of the implications of having almost every female trainer lose against a male counterpart but......it's a bad look is all I'm saying. It smacks of pretty much every shonen I've ever seen.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 22, 2019

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I wish Kahili was in the Alola League but then again I'd hate to see her nerfed for the likes of Lana and Sophocles :colbert:

edit: wait she was and she lost in the battle royale lol

Shneak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 22, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Yeaaahhhhh....I uh...noticed that. I'm not sure if the writers were aware of the implications of having almost every female trainer lose against a male counterpart but......it's a bad look is all I'm saying. It smacks of pretty much every shonen I've ever seen.

I think it was mostly an unfortunate side effect of having them all fight main characters, on top of acknowledging a recurring flaw in Jessie's ability as a trainer. And on top of that, there's no way Lillie is experienced enough to beat Gladion. Unfortunate, and it still ends up being bad, but still I'd still say unintentional.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

A main rival character for Ash is the one role that hasn't been filled in by a female character. We also don't have one like that in the games either (most of the female rivals are either too friendly or they're just the female trainer that you didn't pick if you chose the male trainer).

Maybe there will be one in the Sword and Shield anime.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zuzie posted:

A main rival character for Ash is the one role that hasn't been filled in by a female character. We also don't have one like that in the games either (most of the female rivals are either too friendly or they're just the female trainer that you didn't pick if you chose the male trainer).

in nearly every episode since the first season of pokemon, ash's most consistent rival and foe has been jessie

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Are any of the legendaries really presented as completely "evil," for that matter? Mewtwo has his mustache-twirling villain moments (especially in the dub), but he's lashing out in response to the way humans (and to some extent non-clone Pokemon?) have treated him, and he chills out after meeting Ash. A bunch of the other movies have legendaries going berserk for whatever reason, but it's almost always because a human is wrecking their habitat or mind-controlling them with a machine, or simply a misunderstanding. I haven't gotten around to watching the DP movies yet, though, so maybe they portray Giratina and/or Darkrai as evil; I don't know.

Edit: I guess the fake Groudon from Jirachi: Wish Maker is evil, but it's not really a Pokemon.

I mean I know it's been covered already, but the giant death bird is a pretty good case for evil

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zuzie posted:

Touko should've been it for Unova. gently caress Trip.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hilda has really gotten the short end of the stick in adaptations. Either she's ignored in favor of Hilbert or she's portrayed as naive and inexperienced when she does show up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

Touko should've been it for Unova. gently caress Trip.

Nodosaur posted:

Hilda has really gotten the short end of the stick in adaptations. Either she's ignored in favor of Hilbert or she's portrayed as naive and inexperienced when she does show up.

Absolutely do not understand why they didn’t continue the pattern and have her be a travelling companion

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

The closest it gets is Casey from Johto, though "main rival" is a stretch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wanting to do something different? Having more ideas for Iris and Cilan? Who knows. Unova doesn't really have a secondary goal that's as easily applied to her like Gens 3 and 4 had, and XY had to spend a long time making up one for Serena.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Black and White anime was made into a retread of the first seasons, including the supporting cast made up of two gym leaders from the games.

I really don't like how they handled Iris though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think Iris is a better realized version of Misty, personally, in that she actually gets to succeed at stuff and that she doesn't turn into scenery like Misty did once Togepi was born

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I kinda felt that they took her character a bit too far in the opposite direction. Sort of. She started off condescending of Ash's skill as a trainer (which makes little sense since unlike back in the first season with Misty, Ash isn't supposed to be a rookie). Never mind the fact that she couldn't back up her own skills as a trainer. People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones and whatnot. But this is kind of minor compared to the other issues that plagued this particular saga.

I actually believe that Serena's main character trait (her not so secret crush on Ash) was to make up for Iris's condescending attitude on him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's the whole point of Iris's character. She's immature and her condescension towards Ash was born of her own insecurity. The fact that once the truth about her and Excadrill comes out she stops doing it except in instances when Ash is legitimately being a buffoon is clear enough evidence of that.

She also doesn't know Ash and he isn't the type to flaunt his skills, even when taking into account how BW went too far in the other direction of downplaying his competence. She has no reason at all to know whether he's a rookie or not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I also didn't really like that they removed Iris' gym leader status completely (I know she was just a version exclusive one in the games but they could have always just made it that both of them were the leaders of that particular gym or something).

In regards to Sun & Moon, they also toned down Lusamine quite a bit (though even by Japanese standards I'm not sure you could get away with using her game persona in a children's anime).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

whether they could use her or not, I think that kind of storyline is all wrong for Sun & Moon's tone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

whether they could use her or not, I think that kind of storyline is all wrong for Sun & Moon's tone.

Fair, if this had been a more traditional season with Lillie serving as Ash's obligatory female traveling companion maybe they could have gotten away with sticking a little closer to the game but I admit it doesn't really work as well here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 22, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of the BW anime, in the part I'm watching now, Team Rocket seem to have reverted more or less to their previous selves. That includes the part where they try to steal the character of the day's Pokemon with a mech, but I'm OK with them doing that occasionally.

I enjoyed the Elgyem episode. I guess it's partly a rehash of previous episodes involving the Clefairy family, but I liked the character of the day because he's so understated and because we get so much explanation of the details of his work. Usually when we meet a scientist other than the Pokemon Professors, they're the hammy mad scientist type, and there's not much focus on what the Pokemon Professors are actually researching (to the point where it's a running gag that Dawn thinks of Oak as a poet rather than a scientist).

I disliked the Cottonee episode, though. It's a rehash of "Bye Bye Butterfree," but with a random wild Cottonee instead of one of Ash's Pokemon. And what's with Ash being incapable of understanding the concept of romantic love now? More support for the Dialga de-aging hypothesis. The scene with Ash teaching the Cottonee to use Energy Ball and dodge properly was good, though; it shows that, de-aged or not, Ash is a good enough Trainer that a random Pokemon can benefit from a few pointers from him.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I think it was mostly an unfortunate side effect of having them all fight main characters, on top of acknowledging a recurring flaw in Jessie's ability as a trainer. And on top of that, there's no way Lillie is experienced enough to beat Gladion. Unfortunate, and it still ends up being bad, but still I'd still say unintentional.

Probably unintentional. Still not great in retrospect. I do agree though; Lillie and Jessie were givens as far as those match ups went. Snowy hasn't even evolved for fucksakes.

Edit: off topic here, does anyone know when the next Sword and Shield news drop is supposed to happen?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Edit: off topic here, does anyone know when the next Sword and Shield news drop is supposed to happen?

My guess is during the first week of August.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I went and watched the first few episodes of the Sun/Moon anime just to see what's what.

It's the first time I've watched a Pokémon anime since probably whatever the Ruby/Sapphire arc was.

It's not bad, in fact parts of it are pretty good, but I'm having serious issues getting past the animation style.

It's not even that it's bad in and of itself, it's not, but it's SO different from what "Pokémon the Anime" looks like in my memory/mind that it's hard to watch.

Some of the characters (Ash and Jessie in particular) don't even look like the same characters, and some of the Pokémon look pretty different from the games too.

The new voices (at least, new compared to the last time I was watching the show) don't help this.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Absolutely do not understand why they didn’t continue the pattern and have her be a travelling companion

It was the first gen where the trainers were noticeably older.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

It was the first gen where the trainers were noticeably older.

They could have make her the Brock equivalent.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

My guess is during the first week of August.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Silver2195 posted:

They could have make her the Brock equivalent.

I can't recall Ash ever traveling with an older competent female trainer can you?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I can't recall Ash ever traveling with an older competent female trainer can you?

Does Mallow count? because that's the closest we've gotten to a female character taking that sort of supporting role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
"Ash and Trip's Third Battle": Ugh. Ash being determined and Trip trash-talking him was incredibly rote. At least Iris seemed as annoyed with them both as I was. And the fight itself wasn't especially creative. Trip's flashback does add a bit of depth to him, I guess? Plus they figure out the problem with Oshawott's Aqua Jet.