Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Vladimir Harkonnen did nothing wrong.

:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Cheesus posted:

I read all of Brian's books up to "Dune 7" and found them stock and predictable but not terribly offensive. The Butlerian Jihad was really weak compared to the "man vs thinking machines" idea from the encyclopedia and it was stupidly predictable that it was the origin for everything in the Dune universe. In the end, I saw it in the same light I viewed nearly all Star Wars expanded universe stories: entertaining popcorn stories written by those with considerably less talent than the original author.

But 'Dune 7" was so bad that it retroactively turned me off all of Brian's previous Dune work. Just complete poo poo. There's no loving way Frank's notes on his death bed described that crap that would give fan fiction a bad name. No loving way.

My theory is that most of the prequels are written mostly by Kevin J Anderson, who seems like the kind of author who can churn out passable genre fiction by the yard. The Jedi Academy trilogy filled an afternoon or two each when I was like 12, entertaining enough.

But Dune 7 was based on the super secret notes by Frank and @duneauthor wanted to share them as little as possible, if they existed at all, so he wrote much of those books himself.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 20, 2019

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Hannibal Rex posted:

Dune: The XXX Parody will be interesting.

"Put your dick in the box."

You like that, what's in the box, you dirty little slut?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
And now I need to find out if anyone has done a Se7en/Dune “What’s in the box?” thing...

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

two pages back.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Dune: The XXX Parody will be interesting.

"Put your dick in the box."

I must not cum. Cum is the mind killer. Cum is the little death (:france:) that brings total obliteration. I will face my cum. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the one eyed sandworm to see its path. Where the cum has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

My theory is that most of the prequels are written mostly by Kevin J Anderson, who seems like the kind of author who can churn out passable genre fiction by the yard. The Jedi Academy trilogy filled an afternoon or two each when I was like 12, entertaining enough.

But Dune 7 was based on the super secret notes by Frank and @duneauthor wanted to share them as little as possible, if they existed at all, so he wrote much of those books himself.
Yeah, this is something I've thought of too - I arrived at the conclusion, based on the fact that I've read some of KJAs non-fanfiction work and it seems inoffensive if bland.

The thing that makes me doubt that the notes exist is the fact that it took them 20 years to find them, yet Road To Dune (the book, not the short story in Eye) contains a foreword - written by Bill Ransom who was a contemporary of Frank, was almost his neighbour, and even wrote a few books with him - which strongly implies that the notes they have are based not only on the ones they claim to have found, but also based on a whole bunch of stuff that was donated to a university archive which "suddenly" turned up not long after a bunch of notes that were used to write the House books.
Basically, as I construct the timeline, apparently a literal treasure trove turned up from at least three different sources within a very short time? I know coincidences happen, but I'm skeptical.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I must not cum. Cum is the mind killer. Cum is the little death (:france:) that brings total obliteration. I will face my cum. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the one eyed sandworm to see its path. Where the cum has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
:drat:

I'm curious though - isn't le petite mort the time post-orgasm?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 20, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think it's more than that.

She says flat out that it's "pain by nerve-induction." It's stimulating the sensory nerves directly, without actually using the stimulus those nerves respond to.

Sort of like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

which is a thing that can cause pain, except the box activates peripheral nerves rather than the CNS.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

“You mean of course Duke Leto Atreides, Paul’s father”
“I mean PAUL Atreides. We want him pegged”

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda tempered by the implication the Fremen did a bunch of war crimes and the ones that didn't come back basically became the colonial overclass on conquered planets.

I mean, the parallel is the Arab conquests and establishment of the first Caliphate in the generations after the death of Mohammed, so yeah, pretty much.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

You like that, what's in the box, you dirty little slut?

try looking in that place you dare not look, you will find me there :heysexy:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh, Thufir ! I see they've installed your plug already. Don't be angry. Everyone gets one here. But this is not why we're here. We brought you a little cat, Thufir. You must care for it if you wish to live

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. :heysexy::heysexy::heysexy:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. :heysexy::heysexy::heysexy:

Well I must have absolute control over that Target men's room I just visited

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

D. Ebdrup posted:

:drat:

I'm curious though - isn't le petite mort the time post-orgasm?

Yes, The Little Death.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Well I must have absolute control over that Target men's room I just visited

The deliberate and systematic destruction of ALL toilets on Arrakis!

ilovebeersooomuch fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 22, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Seeing a few things on social media about filming for Dune 1: The First (Part One) having wrapped. I guess this time next year the hype machine will be in full swing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vlex posted:

Seeing a few things on social media about filming for Dune 1: The First (Part One) having wrapped. I guess this time next year the hype machine will be in full swing.

yup

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1152710712944398336?s=20

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Lovely Bautista confirmed? I don't see how it could be any other way, unless Feyd is a super-duper a-list actor who they want to save for the hype train.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

exmachina posted:

Lovely Bautista confirmed? I don't see how it could be any other way, unless Feyd is a super-duper a-list actor who they want to save for the hype train being played by Sting again.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This is the best possible answer imho

Or sting plays Gurney and busts out some sick acoustic numbers at every opportunity.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

when is the A Fire Upon the Deep movie coming out tho

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I haven't been in much of a reading mood lately so it's taking me an i eternity to get through the books, finally made it through God Emperor, really liked it alot, one thing that I'm liking about the Dune universe is even if the books themselves are weird or not great, pieced together they make something really good and fun to talk and think about.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

:yeah:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cats was just a proof of concept for the dog people

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

free hubcaps posted:

When somebody figures out how to translate the Usenet jokes for people who've only known the web.

You'd like that, wouldn’t you? :heysexy:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Personally, I'd like to see some of Harry Harrison’s stuff (besides Make Room! Make Room! obviously), like the Deathworld and SSR series. And Jack Vance (Demon Princes, Planet of Adventure). And Keith Laumer's Retief. And James H. Schmitz, and Fritz Leiber, and and

no gently caress it, they’re making more lovely superhero crud :eng99:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Cats was just a proof of concept for the chairdog

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zopotantor posted:

Personally, I'd like to see some of Harry Harrison’s stuff (besides Make Room! Make Room! obviously), like the Deathworld and SSR series. And Jack Vance (Demon Princes, Planet of Adventure). And Keith Laumer's Retief. And James H. Schmitz, and Fritz Leiber, and and

It's a real shame Leslie Nielsen passed on, he would've been perfect for Stainless Steel Rat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

i want an hbo series of the book of the new sun

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This is the best possible answer imho

Or sting plays Gurney and busts out some sick acoustic numbers at every opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zEMitTkaU

You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the sands of arakeen
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk without rhythm in dunes of gold

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zEMitTkaU

You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the sands of arakeen
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk without rhythm in dunes of gold

I am 100% down with this and a Sting/Dune themed concept album.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I am 100% down with this and a Sting/Dune themed concept album.

You could settle for Grimes' Dune themed concept album

https://youtu.be/iNfkumyKyOA

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Super Waffle posted:

:stare:

Why would you post this?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

A Dying Earth TV series... antiheroes are popular these days, right?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

:catstare:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Mister Speaker posted:

Lovely Bautista confirmed? I don't see how it could be any other way, unless Feyd is a super-duper a-list actor who they want to save for the hype train being played by Sting again.

I used to think this until someone said Tom Holland. This is actually what is sustaining me. I love Bautista and he is great for Rabban, which is a bit part in the novel unfortunately. This is why I fear for lovely Rabban BTW. He is pretty high profile ATM and the studio might want him in more than 2 scenes. Only a similarly famous actor (like Holland) could trump him.

I couldnt really blame anyone for merging the characters to be honest. Getting rid of Feyd also lets them excise the pedo aspect to the Baron, which is actually really problematic, even in Lynch's time (hence the heartplugs)

Super Waffle posted:

Also to cleanse everyones palatte, here is some dune themed (kinda) late 90's DnB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_qtEqpueew

I don't know what the connection between Drum and Bass and Dune is. Here is another from my hometown!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQ-yfyzxWk

exmachina fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 22, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know anything about these guys, I just read about them the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHfEs2jP8k

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

exmachina posted:

Lovely Bautista confirmed? I don't see how it could be any other way, unless Feyd is a super-duper a-list actor who they want to save for the hype train.

Feyd exists only to absorb exposition until his arena fight, which works perfectly as the start of part 2: Hammer home the Harkonnen victory, introduce a fresh antagonist, and summarize part 1 during the Baron's conference with Fenring.

Is there a compelling reason to have Feyd (instead of Rabban) repeating "yes, uncle" in the scene where the Baron lays out his plan? Especially since Feyd has nothing to do with the plan, no emotional stake in Arrakis, and isn't part of the attack? And, if I'm right about the arena fight, won't appear again until part 2?

It's Rabban who ruled Arrakis previously, it's Rabban who gets kicked out without knowing why, it's Rabban who'd be most interested to learn about the Emperor's treachery, it's Rabban who gets reinstalled after the Harkonnen victory. I'm sure they'll play up his involvement in the Harkonnen attack too. It makes a ton of sense to have him be the one learning about the plan along with the audience, and to leave Feyd for a part 2 which might not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zopotantor posted:

I would like to see Ringworld, could be quite a spectacle.