Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Kins posted:

Heretic II
What They Say: "The game plays more like Nightmare Creatures, taking away the ability to precisely aim weapons and spells."
What Happened: Released and thoroughly flopped. You probably didn't even know it existed before that Civvie video.

I really enjoyed Heretic II at release :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Black Griffon posted:

Did anyone ever make a replacement for Brutal Doom for those of us who just enjoy a lot of blood and violence, or did that loving weirdo crackpot nazi-something creator salt the fields, so to say?

fishmech posted:

Project Brutality is basically what you're looking for.

There's a modder on the ZDoom forums going through the Brutal Doom code and trying to de-tangle it. They've released a version of their fork. There's stuff cut like headshots and fatalities but it still plays fast and quick:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62203&hilit=bdlite

Vakal
May 11, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I really enjoyed Heretic II at release :smith:

The first I ever ordered off of the internet back in the day was a box set of SiN, Heretic 2, and Battlezone 2.

I got it mainly for Sin, but Heretic 2 was surprising enjoyable despite not being an FPS. Battlezone 2 was kind of an odd ball though when compared to the first game. More of an RTS than a shooter, but it was interesting to play at least.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 21, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wamdoodle posted:

There's a modder on the ZDoom forums going through the Brutal Doom code and trying to de-tangle it. They've released a version of their fork. There's stuff cut like headshots and fatalities but it still plays fast and quick:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62203&hilit=bdlite

Yes, this might be it. With Brutality I'm gonna have to disable like 95% of the mod, there's so much nonsense when I just want blood.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Black Griffon posted:

Yes, this might be it. With Brutality I'm gonna have to disable like 95% of the mod, there's so much nonsense when I just want blood.

Then just use ketchup mod?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

treat posted:

Then just use ketchup mod?

Yes, yes yes yes, yes yes yes yes. Good thread.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Heretic II
What They Say: "The game plays more like Nightmare Creatures, taking away the ability to precisely aim weapons and spells."
What Happened: Released and thoroughly flopped. You probably didn't even know it existed before that Civvie video.

Holy poo poo Nightmare Creatures! I had a light memory of me playing a... proto-pseudo-Dark Soulsesque game in pc in the 90s, but I had no idea of what was. This it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is a supremely first world problem, but I wish someone would 'fix' the Cacodemon corpse sprite by making it a bit smaller. That would fix the issue of a dozen of Caco corpses impeding visibility in narrow passages. Sometimes you don't know when a enemy has turned a corner and is about to fire at you, it happened me twice in the last week.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Arivia posted:

Couldn't Strife be played in multiplayer?

Deathmatch only, you can't even try to launch it in co-op, the game mode was ripped out. Not that it would even be playable because the dialogues don't work in multiplayer (or even demos).
At one point though they did want to implement it, and there is some weird holdovers from that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Yes, yes yes yes, yes yes yes yes. Good thread.

Apparently Nashgore is the better gore mod now, since it's actually written by someone who knows how to code.

Turin Turambar posted:

This is a supremely first world problem, but I wish someone would 'fix' the Cacodemon corpse sprite by making it a bit smaller. That would fix the issue of a dozen of Caco corpses impeding visibility in narrow passages. Sometimes you don't know when a enemy has turned a corner and is about to fire at you, it happened me twice in the last week.

100% agreed with this. I was doing some close-combat fighting against Cacodemons in BtSX last night and ate more fire than I'd like to because I couldn't see which ones were alive to dodge from.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Arivia posted:

Apparently Nashgore is the better gore mod now, since it's actually written by someone who knows how to code.

Here's Nash's updated version:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62641

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
im thinking about dnf again lads

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ETPC posted:

*kisses fingers* An excellent choice, monsieur.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dreaming about the phony dnf the original trailer promised.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
they should have just stuck with quake or quake 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
something something dnf AAA game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ETPC posted:

I kinda still enjoy the Duke Burger stage though it really outstays its welcome.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ETPC posted:

it's too bad the dude kept having a meltdown whenever a game got released with something new (mostly for the worse since FPS have got worse as a genre over time overall) and had to have it in DNF instead of just making a game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's too bad the dude kept having a meltdown whenever a game got released with something new (mostly for the worse since FPS have got worse as a genre over time overall) and had to have it in DNF instead of just making a game.

Sounds a bit like Star Citizen, except DNF at least had the decency to not con thousands of dollars out of the mentally ill. And also eventually released a full version I suppose.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the biggest sin was the 2003 reboot. they could have just cut dynamic lighting and shipped a fuckin killer game for 2004.

but no.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Arivia posted:

It's a little harder to paint the walls with Nashgore, but afaik Nash isn't a nazi, so that helps I guess? Real fun either way.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Brutal Heretic RPG & Brutal Hexen RPG are also both good without going overboard.

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

Nah, it's a confusing and not very fun level. The rest of the game is good though. Just remember if you use the level select you're taking the VidMaster's Oath.

To say something nice about it, Ne Cede Malis is one of the prettiest and most atmospheric things to come from the 2.5d era.

But yeah, I think it took 13 year old me *weeks* to beat it. It's a gorgeous but wildly confusing punch in the dick, which adequately sets the tone for the rest of the campaign for both good and bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ETPC posted:

Yeah, agreed. The early Unreal stuff looked pretty good, but there's just something about the E3 1998 trailer that makes me really want to play it.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
like, i understand why they switched (the lake mead level crashed the game) but JUST loving CUT THE LEVEL.

also lake mead wasen't even in the final game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vakal posted:

The first I ever ordered off of the internet back in the day was a box set of SiN, Heretic 2, and Battlezone 2.

I got it mainly for Sin, but Heretic 2 was surprising enjoyable despite not being an FPS. Battlezone 2 was kind of an odd ball though when compared to the first game. More of an RTS than a shooter, but it was interesting to play at least.
Oh hey I totally bought that box set too! Except I bought it for Battlezone 2 and kinda mostly ignored the other 2 games (I think I played through the first level of SiN and Heretic 2 before forgetting about them.

I wonder if the BZ2 modding community is still around. I remember checking around 2010-ish and there was a very small but dedicated modding scene kicking around. I remember playing some unofficial expac deal that added a third faction and a new campaign set after the events of the base game and it was pretty cool.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I was gonna just settle down with no sleep and three hours until I've gotta get up for work and play some vanilla Doom, but then I went down the WAD rabbit hole. Anyone got recommendations for big, expansive maps with lots of secrets and fun areas? I gave Avactor a try, and it's pretty fun, but I'm kinda poo poo at it. I think I might prefer more modern surroundings instead of the jungle.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm like 95% sure that I bought Heretic II at Blockbuster(?) in a cheap two-pack with Realms of the Haunting but I can't find any reference to these two games ever being bundled together and I don't remember Blockbuster ever selling PC games. Did I dream this absurd scenario but then somehow also end up with copies of both Heretic II and Realms of the Haunting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Convex posted:

Sounds a bit like Star Citizen, except DNF at least had the decency to not con thousands of dollars out of the mentally ill. And also eventually released a full version I suppose.

There are a lot of parallels between Star Citizen and Duke Nukem Forever, yeah. Imagine if 3D Realms had kickstarter available at the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Couldn't Strife be played in multiplayer?
Deathmatch only. No co-op. Although I think GZDoom is doing some work to allow for it...

Insert name here posted:

I wonder if the BZ2 modding community is still around. I remember checking around 2010-ish and there was a very small but dedicated modding scene kicking around. I remember playing some unofficial expac deal that added a third faction and a new campaign set after the events of the base game and it was pretty cool.
There is a remaster available on GOG and Steam, should that intrigue you.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Was there ever a term for flying/driving games that basically play like first person shooters with strafing and such? It feels weird to call Descent/Quarentine/Battle Zone/Magic Carpet/etc 'sims' I guess it was just 'action'. I feel like there were a ton of those in the 90s but they dropped off pretty hard.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Oh hey I totally bought that box set too! Except I bought it for Battlezone 2 and kinda mostly ignored the other 2 games (I think I played through the first level of SiN and Heretic 2 before forgetting about them.

I played through the remasters of both games recently and found BZ2 pretty rough around the edges. The combat in BZ1 is a lot tighter and feels a lot better. The follower AI might even be better. gently caress that expansion pack, though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FuzzySlippers posted:

Was there ever a term for flying/driving games that basically play like first person shooters with strafing and such? It feels weird to call Descent/Quarentine/Battle Zone/Magic Carpet/etc 'sims' I guess it was just 'action'. I feel like there were a ton of those in the 90s but they dropped off pretty hard.
The recent Descent successors have decided upon 'Six Degrees of Freedom' as their moniker. BattleZone just touted itself as a FPS/RTS hybrid, which honestly is exactly what it was and nobody's followed upon it so no need to get fancy.

I guess it's not a rigid enough genre with specific appeal to deserve a mass of catered games. But I sure would like an Armored Core game on the PC, I've not been able to play it since the PSX.

Fallom posted:

I played through the remasters of both games recently and found BZ2 pretty rough around the edges. The combat in BZ1 is a lot tighter and feels a lot better. The follower AI might even be better. gently caress that expansion pack, though.
I also really prefer the first game, and I'm replaying it now with the 'Remastered' edition on Steam, but I'm almost positive that their AI tweaks intended to improve their unattended combat has unwittingly made the game a dozen times harder. Unless I played it on wimp mode in the 90's, the AI really refuses to stagger upon taking damage now, making all 1:1 fights near-death trades.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Imagine if the Quake 2 DNF released in 1999 and an Unreal-based sequel came out in 2004? Maybe Duke Nukem wouldn't be a joke of an IP nowadays

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Imagine if the Quake 2 DNF released in 1999 and an Unreal-based sequel came out in 2004? Maybe Duke Nukem wouldn't be a joke of an IP nowadays

It honestly probably would still be

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
it would have taken longer though and we would have had two solid games at the very least

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ETPC posted:

it would have taken longer though and we would have had two solid games at the very least

I feel like two mediocre games with a hero whose attitude got more extreme as society moved away from what he was would have ended with him in the same space, roughly.

More likely to get a failed numberless Duke Nukem reboot, though, thats for sure

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Duke Nukem deserves a rest now. He's gotten old. Ion Fury is gonna do just fine honouring him :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dukes back, in smartphone trading card game format!