Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gorelab posted:

Is he? My memory of 2.0 is basically unlike the main empire he's willing to let the conquered into positions of power? But also I haven't paid any attention to any of the MSQ roulette stuff in forever. But basically it's better only compared to you know Zenos literally making things lovely to create fights/wanting rebellions for chaos. Being actually Fantasy Rome isn't a good thing.

Zenos also gave people from colonies positions of power. He helped Fordola and Yotsuyu get their spots, but much like with Gaius it doesn't mean anything.

Gaius is absolutely the type of guy to nod along as Varis monologues about how the colonies would have been treated well if nobody tried rebelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

S.J. posted:

Honest to god, I haven't tanked in an MMO in over half a decade but GUN was really easy to pick up.

It looks really slick, I can't wait to give it a real try. I spent my whole day just unlocking dungeons and stuff though so next time I breach 60 I guess.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Is he? My memory of 2.0 is basically unlike the main empire he's willing to let the conquered into positions of power? But also I haven't paid any attention to any of the MSQ roulette stuff in forever. But basically it's better only compared to you know Zenos literally making things lovely to create fights/wanting rebellions for chaos. Being actually Fantasy Rome isn't a good thing.
There's a reason you have to get past Baelsar's Wall to get to Ala Mhigo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gaius is also responsible for the creation of the mini-Hitler Youth squad that Fordola and her friends were a part of, the organization that literally raised kids to think Ala Mhigo was full of worthless savages who suffer because they refuse to see the wisdom of Garlemald

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos was a fun villain but not a truly engaging one. I'm not particularly excited to see him the focus again

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really understand the sort of turn they're doing with Gaius considering didn't they kill off the HW garlean guy entirely because they didn't like that people liked him? Or was that just bullshit that gets spread around.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Zenos also gave people from colonies positions of power. He helped Fordola and Yotsuyu get their spots, but much like with Gaius it doesn't mean anything.

Gaius is absolutely the type of guy to nod along as Varis monologues about how the colonies would have been treated well if nobody tried rebelling.

Even then Zenos promoting Fordola and Yotsuyu just shows more of his hosed up bizarro morality. It had nothing to do with them being deserving or sending a message of equality. It was entirely because they were full of hatred and violence, and Zenos is Into That.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Cleretic posted:

Is it normal to hate Zenos, too? Am I okay to hate him or do people like him, as well?

Zenos is a smug prick and a lot of fun to hate. I actually consider him SB's biggest improvement over HW, in the sense that HW lacked a personal stake and it was really felt more like Ishgard's story with the WoL tagging along as obligatory god-murderizer, while in SB regardless of whatever political junk is happening in the background, you the player have a personal stake in kicking in his smug face.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaius is a son of a bitch with whom we share common goals and who has no real power to further his ambitions of empire. I suppose you have the slim consolation that Garlean domination of the known world would probably not kill literally everyone, nor despoil all of the environment, and would probably eventually fall apart. However, "not actively genocidal" is a low bar to clear. e: oh wait he'd probably wax all the Eorzean beast tribes due to their practice of summoning.

Zenos sucks and is a son of privilege and I look forward to when we permadunk him.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

He's basically General Leo, and in retrospect it's kind of hosed up that you're supposed to like Leo.
Leo was more of a naive idiot who thought the emperor actually opposed kefka’s crazy murder plans and actually wanted peace with espers, and got killed when he stopped being useful.

Gaius fully knows what the garlean empire is up to and was perfectly fine with it until the ascians started messing with them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tengames posted:

Leo was more of a naive idiot who thought the emperor actually opposed kefka’s crazy murder plans and actually wanted peace with espers, and got killed when he stopped being useful.

Gaius fully knows what the garlean empire is up to and was perfectly fine with it until the ascians started messing with them.

Leo was still at the front lines of an imperialist military. Kefka's murder plans were long after Leo's sins.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Gaius is drinking the kool-aid. He believes that a united world would be a happy world and believes the Empire is the best way to go about it, and believes (believed?) in the Primal casus belli. And it's because he believed all that that he simultaneously believes might makes right, but that the ruler is obligated to the welfare of his subjects.

As a dude who has drank the kool-aid, he's reconciled all this conflict in his head with good ol' fascism. It's not helped by him actually not being that good at being a ruler, seeing as how Ala Mhigo was still in awful straights with regards to integrating. That's also likely an artifact of his imperial background; they were meant to be sources of conflict and instability, not genuinely create a lasting and stable empire.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Leo was still at the front lines of an imperialist military. Kefka's murder plans were long after Leo's sins.

Actually yeah and in hindsight its kinda weird how 6 just glossed over that with celes also being a general or terra prior to being mind controlled. Honestly almost all the cast of 6 was horrible, thinking about it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't really understand the sort of turn they're doing with Gaius considering didn't they kill off the HW garlean guy entirely because they didn't like that people liked him? Or was that just bullshit that gets spread around.

if that's true it would be weird because they still give him a "wow in the end he was really noble... makes u think" moment that i found kind of gross

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Gaius is basically the True Believer and he's blinded himself to the fact that the fascist government is mostly run by selfish villains and that true believers are very rare.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Just mash buffs on cooldown. You move lotd to match them. Remember that since jump and geirskogul have the same cooldown, they'll always come up together. If you want to enter lotd, press jump->mirage dive->geirskogul. If you don't, press jump->geirskogul->mirage dive.

I don't know how it works at 70 but the rule of thumb at 80 is to enter lotd whenever any of your buffs are either active or have less than 30 seconds remaining on their timers.
This is really helpful, thank you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

cheetah7071 posted:

Zenos was a fun villain but not a truly engaging one. I'm not particularly excited to see him the focus again

I think XIV's villains are at their best when they have a clearly defined and relatively limited scope they're working in. Gaius, Nidhogg, and Vauthry are all great examples, where both the player and writers can clearly see where their villainous run starts and ends, and how far they're reaching. They start hitting problems the moment they write a villain to extend beyond some specific range, and the problem is largely just not knowing how to extend them as a villain in a satisfying way.

The Ascians are the classic example, where their far-reaching nonsense just kinda grated for so long and had no real endgame of any kind in sight, so they were just milling around in the shadows. But Stormblood's inclusions fell victim to it, too. Zenos I had problems with but was alright, until he was somehow back with nothing really new to throw into the mix, just more of the same. And Yotsuyu I loved up until they decided not to kill her in Doma Castle, but had no ideas for what to do with her afterwards other than 'amnesia and I guess a boss fight'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 22, 2019

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They killed Regula van Hydrus as a General Leo analog. He was fighting the Primals with us and though he didn't share our views, he promoted efforts towards the greater good in the end in the fight against Eikons. People are saying Gaius is like Leo now, but Regula was the first huge reference with the Warring Triad line and all.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Gaius, Fordola, and to a much lesser extent Zenos seemed like they were going for the idea that they probably could've been good people if things were different but everything that comes from the empire is rotten and we need to tear it down. They just haven't really done anything with that idea but keep using the characters.

I honestly think they killed off Varis because they don't know what to do with garlean politics going forward.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I like Yotsuyu a lot because she's a primary example of how nurturing can make a difference in people's actions. Still, despite the amnesia, she and her body were still responsible for her sins. She had the option of continuing a simple life, but after her memory returned she could no longer live without vengeance in her mind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is really helpful, thank you.

Theoretically, when possible you should delay nastronds to fit two of them within your buffs as long as you still fit three nastronds into the window. This is as much of a pain as it sounds.

At 80 you also want to delay stardiver until your buff is up which is much easier

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://twitter.com/JuleeFang/status/1153179469080698881

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tengames posted:

Actually yeah and in hindsight its kinda weird how 6 just glossed over that with celes also being a general or terra prior to being mind controlled. Honestly almost all the cast of 6 was horrible, thinking about it.
Terra was an abducted child and it's unclear how young she was when she was brain zapped. At worst she was a bitch at some Imperial training school.

Celes was a "general" but was also like 19? So I'm not sure she had time to do any crimes. I am guessing "general" was a rendering for "officer."

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Veev posted:

Gaius, Fordola, and to a much lesser extent Zenos seemed like they were going for the idea that they probably could've been good people if things were different but everything that comes from the empire is rotten and we need to tear it down. They just haven't really done anything with that idea but keep using the characters.

I honestly think they killed off Varis because they don't know what to do with garlean politics going forward.

I think this is pretty much it. They helped us understand how Fordola became who she is without condoning her actions, and she's found herself a role in trying to protect her homeland, albeit on a leash. Regula went out defending someone who he believed was more important to the preservation of life and the world than himself. Gaius, for being the same fascist as most other Garleans, didn't believe in victory at all costs (as evidenced in trying to sabotage Meteor, and shutting down and refusing to use Black Rose when he was still a general) and believed in leaders having a responsibility to their subjects even though he was terrible at it himself.

Considering they had the .0 plot of an expansion culminate with getting us to understand and empathize with an omnicidal monster who orchestrated multiple oppressive empires, and the seeming trend for them to introduce characters important to an xpac two expansions early, I wouldn't be surprised if more character development was in store for Gaius in 6.0.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Alright, I got all the Garo mounts. The advice probably helped a lot, so thanks to those who gave it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

A goon from my old static was whipping these up, and I had to pester them into making one for me. Thanks Arturia! :toot:

I did request one with a slightly more appropriate title, though.

Also, I ran into this fine upstanding Balmungian earlier this evening, handing out Faded Copies of Oblivion because of course.

One of my retainers happened to be selling a finished Oblivion orchestrion roll, so I yanked it off the market and gave Todd Howard a working copy of his drat roll back. Might as well stop playing video games now, nothing is going to top this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Veev posted:

I get that from Fordola but not from Gaius and definitely not Zenos.

Like, we actively get a look at how Gaius's Ala Mhigo shaped Fordola and that she is a product of the empire is actively discussed. A small point gets brought up about how Zenos is only who he is because of his upbringing but he is so far removed from being a rational and understandable person that it never at any point comes off like "Man, Zenos could have been a good dude." And as for Gaius he's just a fascist gently caress. He shittalks people who betrayed the empire out of moral concerns, and he governs imperial colonies that are actively making things worse for everyone. He's presented as noble and better than his peers but I don't think he's presented as a good person that the empire turned bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I honestly think Zenos' personality has nothing to do with his upbringing since even Varis seems baffled at his weird combat obsessed murder son

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I get that from Fordola but not from Gaius and definitely not Zenos.

Like, we actively get a look at how Gaius's Ala Mhigo shaped Fordola and that she is a product of the empire is actively discussed. A small point gets brought up about how Zenos is only who he is because of his upbringing but he is so far removed from being a rational and understandable person that it never at any point comes off like "Man, Zenos could have been a good dude." And as for Gaius he's just a fascist gently caress. He shittalks people who betrayed the empire out of moral concerns, and he governs imperial colonies that are actively making things worse for everyone. He's presented as noble and better than his peers but I don't think he's presented as a good person that the empire turned bad.
Zenos was only able to become what he did because of the station of his birth. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he got somehow hosed with to explain why he's so specifically broken, but if he was just a monomaniacal murder/hunter rear end in a top hat born among the commoners, he would have either found a profession that let him do his thing or would have caused a lot of people distress and then been killed by the yellowjackets or something.

Had Gaius been raised in one of the various city-states he would have probably been a hardass but for whatever the local ideal is.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I don't think they're ever going to go into why Zenos is such a monster. He was raised by an obsessive emperor and is the great-grandson of a body-stealing monster, and continues that legacy of being a todger. The story doesn't really want us to have sympathy for Zenos, so the circumstances that shaped him--or the innate nature that came to the surface--are probably going to remain irrelevant.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nessus posted:

Terra was an abducted child and it's unclear how young she was when she was brain zapped. At worst she was a bitch at some Imperial training school.

Celes was a "general" but was also like 19? So I'm not sure she had time to do any crimes. I am guessing "general" was a rendering for "officer."

Celes is one of the Three Generals along with Kefka and Leo, who definitely are generals in the traditional sense, so I assume calling her a general was intentional. I'm not sure why they promoted her to general when she was probably a junior officer at best before she got experimental magic therapy, but maybe it's an optics thing and they want someone outwardly inspiring and impressive but still relatively expendable to lead the vanguard and spearhead the assault. I also don't really recall her doing a whole lot of commanding, so maybe her rank is nominal at best and she's just a figurehead general for propaganda purposes or something. But yeah they seem to play the angle that despite her title she's still just another pawn in the Imperial wargame, so she's still at least a little redeemable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

lightrook posted:

Celes is one of the Three Generals along with Kefka and Leo, who definitely are generals in the traditional sense, so I assume calling her a general was intentional. I'm not sure why they promoted her to general when she was probably a junior officer at best before she got experimental magic therapy, but maybe it's an optics thing and they want someone outwardly inspiring and impressive but still relatively expendable to lead the vanguard and spearhead the assault. I also don't really recall her doing a whole lot of commanding, so maybe her rank is nominal at best and she's just a figurehead general for propaganda purposes or something. But yeah they seem to play the angle that despite her title she's still just another pawn in the Imperial wargame, so she's still at least a little redeemable.
Do they even clearly explain why she was in the hoosegow being beaten when Locke rescues her? At a certain point this seems to become the theatricality of Final Fantasy, which was a lot more prominent in FF6 than most.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ironslave posted:

I don't think they're ever going to go into why Zenos is such a monster. He was raised by an obsessive emperor and is the great-grandson of a body-stealing monster, and continues that legacy of being a todger. The story doesn't really want us to have sympathy for Zenos, so the circumstances that shaped him--or the innate nature that came to the surface--are probably going to remain irrelevant.

his backstory is kefka that’s why

Nessus posted:

Do they even clearly explain why she was in the hoosegow being beaten when Locke rescues her? At a certain point this seems to become the theatricality of Final Fantasy, which was a lot more prominent in FF6 than most.

only thing I remember is she dared to question the empire or the emperor or something about their bullshit I don’t remember specifics but point is she wasn’t towing the line and I guess emperor gestalt frowned on that poo poo from a top general

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

UHD posted:

his backstory is kefka that’s why

Pretty much.

UHD posted:

only thing I remember is she dared to question the empire or the emperor or something about their bullshit I don’t remember specifics but point is she wasn’t towing the line and I guess emperor gestalt frowned on that poo poo from a top general

They never do specify what it was, just a nebulous "betrayal." Given the point you encounter her in the story, you can make a guess that it might be because she spoke out against poisoning Doma, but nothing is supported.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Hey cool they posted the Viera/Hroth naming conventions.

tl;dr:

Viera: whatever who cares lmao (Literally)
Hrothgar: Slav names on either clan, but if you're Helion your last name starts with A* and if you're Lost your last name instead ends with *sch

Even the naming conventions for these dumb races are insipid and mostly an afterthought.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's presented as noble and better than his peers but I don't think he's presented as a good person that the empire turned bad.

Gaius is presented as the pinnacle of what the Garlean ideal is, it's just the Garlean ideal is fundamentally evil. Had he those same noble qualities and was born in Eorzea he could've been a competent leader, just nothing good can come from Garlemald as it is. Fordola even follows in his footsteps and it twists her loyalty to her squad and country into what she is. It's not enough that we stop any one person, by design anything that Garlemald touches will be ruined and it was part of the call for us to end the Garlean empire that we may or may not follow up on eventually.

That's kinda why Cid is around; he was even raised by Gaius but because his father was such a psycho he was able to realize there was nothing good he can do there and escape the empire.

I just want it to be clear I really only characterize him like that because the story, ARR especially and parts Stormblood, makes a point over and over of him having those good qualities. I'm uncomfortable that they portrayed such a fascist character in that way and then haven't really done enough to keep him around.

Zenos I only include because I got the vibe that he was only encouraged by the empire to be who he is, like they gave him two whole territories to play his little games in and that's with his father recognizing he's a monster.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Emalde posted:

tl;dr:

Hrothgar: Slav names on either clan, but if you're Helion your last name starts with A* and if you're Lost your last name instead ends with *sch

Even the naming conventions for these dumb races are insipid and mostly an afterthought.

Considering it took them a month to go "Eh, do whatever." I think it's entirely an afterthought rather than just mostly one. I continue to wonder why they even bothered with more races to begin with.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maximum Chenergy posted:

I continue to wonder why they even bothered with more races to begin with.
what in the goddamn

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Maximum Chenergy posted:

Considering it took them a month to go "Eh, do whatever." I think it's entirely an afterthought rather than just mostly one. I continue to wonder why they even bothered with more races to begin with.

Selling point for the marketing team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Emalde posted:

tl;dr:

oh my god i can call myself zoran jankovič and be lore friendly at the same time, what the gently caress

i... i might have to abandon sailor goon, this is hosed. probably not, but i might