Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm a little surprised there's not discussion in here about the Situation in Hong Kong at the moment

the cops apparently dispersed a demonstration a bit more violently than usual and it was followed up by masked non-cop dudes beating on protesters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You have to give a little time for the twitter feeds to coalesce into proper narratives

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the gently caress do i care?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1153093531650539520

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1153103196958576640

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm a little surprised there's not discussion in here about the Situation in Hong Kong at the moment

the cops apparently dispersed a demonstration a bit more violently than usual and it was followed up by masked non-cop dudes beating on protesters

Hundreds of whiteshirts beating up protesters as the cops are conveniently absent doesn't really lend a sympathetic light onto the narrative that the protesters are counterrevolutionaries funded by the CIA

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Carl back from his sex vacation to mouthpiece for a fascist government

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1153110388004642816

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1028271447632957441

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I live in Yuen Long and those are clearly hired goons from the local villages, the wild west of Hong Kong. There's a video of them indiscriminately beating on commuters inside a train carriage and as they're trying to escape up the escalator. It's pretty loving desperate.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rabelais D posted:

I live in Yuen Long and those are clearly hired goons from the local villages, the wild west of Hong Kong. There's a video of them indiscriminately beating on commuters inside a train carriage and as they're trying to escape up the escalator. It's pretty loving desperate.

holy smokes you are alive! where did you go and is everything ok? you just disapppeared one day

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

caberham posted:

holy smokes you are alive! where did you go and is everything ok? you just disapppeared one day

Yeah man, things have been a bit busy: PhD, new job, new baby....but still here

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

is this gonna turn out kinda like syria where people come out really heavily in support of the protests and then it turns out that actually there's a pretty dark undercurrent of sectarian bigotry driving the uprising but by that point nobody wants to admit they were had?

basically i don't wanna get fooled again

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
I don't understand how it's supposed to be dishonest to both criticize people supporting the protests, especially foreigners on the internet, as well as condemn this sort of semi-fascist violence against the protesters. I know I made an rear end out of myself earlier on this topic by making a statement that frankly couldn't be read as anything but a condemnation of the protesters and an endorsement of the Chinese state, but while the post as a whole was dumb and bad, the point I wish I had properly made is relevant here.

Hong Kong is not a viable state on its own: as things stand, in the long term it will only exist as either a protectorate of western powers or as a part of China. The one country two systems promise was a pretty transparent lie from the Chinese, what it really always was is a temporary policy to ease a transition. And defending the Hong Kong protesters represents this massive trap of falling into straight-up western chauvinism because it should be obvious to anyone that to truly defend those people from being slowly engulfed into the mainland Chinese system, serious threats against China from western imperialists would be necessary. For nothing other than preventing part of British colonial legacy from becoming what it would have been without the attempted colonization of China.

But on the other hand, that consideration is only relevant to us here, demanding the people of Hong Kong to give a poo poo about that would just be an "anti-imperialist" form of enlightened western paternalism. Even if the leaders of the protests may be compromised because they must realize that their long-term goals are straight-up impossible to achieve without selling out to western powers, they have the right to struggle for what they see as the best option in a lovely position, and obviously the masses of people protesting have nothing to do with international intrigues. So Hong Kong authorities sending out goons to crack skulls is a heinous action that shows they don't give a drat about their ostensible people. Once they realized that the protests wouldn't die down just by giving in to their minimum demands, they decided not to take any risks to keep them from unnecessary harm, and cheering for something like that would be morally bankrupt as well.

So it is not some bankrupt "both sides" caricature, it's "don't get duped into supporting intervention in Hong Kong by demanding persistent legal separation of Hong Kong from China because of another set of sympathetic protesters that seemingly represent our values against oriental authoritarianism, but also don't invent excuses to consider blatant state terror against honestly struggling people fine". For someone in our position they must be taken together, because either one taken alone leads to carrying water for powerful countries that neither need nor deserve your help because they fundamentally aren't interested in having a free people.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

gh0stpinballa posted:

is this gonna turn out kinda like syria where people come out really heavily in support of the protests and then it turns out that actually there's a pretty dark undercurrent of sectarian bigotry driving the uprising but by that point nobody wants to admit they were had?

Everywhere is different, mainlanders are being scape goated and misdirected because of the failings of the political system.

I'm worried about nativism too, after the umbrella movement, some people went off on the nativist deep end and started worshiping donald trump. Thankfully those guys aren't really around this time.

中港矛盾 is the term, it could easily be rectified. They all stem from mismanagement of macro policies:

Baby formula is a food security problem
Parallel imports of everyday goods like soap and shampoos because quality issues

Not having universal suffrage is the biggest one. This poo poo has been stewing over 20 years. I wouldn't be out on the streets if we removed functional constituencies and had universal suffrage.

If we had universal suffrage and all the pro beijing establishment won, then fine so be loving it. Just allow a system where governments can change hands. And from there we can work on voter reform like implementing Single Transferable Voting like we do in district councils.

The pro beijings need their space and representation in HK, and they were the ones who wanted STV because they were worried about not having any representation after 1997.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

uncop posted:

Hong Kong is not a viable state on its own: as things stand, in the long term it will only exist as either a protectorate of western powers or as a part of China. The one country two systems promise was a pretty transparent lie from the Chinese, what it really always was is a temporary policy to ease a transition.

Implement actual one country two systems and do it right. Don't abduct book sellers, stop shoving legislation down our throats, stop stacking legco.

If universal suffrage was implemented and we didn't have the Chinese Liason office running things in the background, this city wouldn't be so angry all the time during Hand over day. Our government leadership are tied behind their backs yet at the same time claim supreme control of this city.

quote:

So it is not some bankrupt "both sides" caricature, it's "don't get duped into supporting intervention in Hong Kong by demanding persistent legal separation of Hong Kong from China because of another set of sympathetic protesters that seemingly represent our values against oriental authoritarianism, but also don't invent excuses to consider blatant state terror against honestly struggling people fine". For someone in our position they must be taken together, because either one taken alone leads to carrying water for powerful countries that neither need nor deserve your help because they fundamentally aren't interested in having a free people.

This just advocates for separatism if HK can't rely on western powers (sanctions etc) or China to have democracy :smith: I'm not a separatist and like Chinese culture and going to the mainland from time to time. But I think the biggest problem is the authoritarianism of CCP

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Syria is a lot different from Hong Kong, or Ukraine.

We used to have high transparency in government and laws.
We had a mostly peaceful history besides communist insurrection during 66 and 67.
Decent police reform and anti corruption reform to instill public confidence in the government.
There's no religious war or animosity between religions
High employment, a decent economy - *high inequality though
97% Han Chinese.

So no, it's not some colour revolution.
Not some sectarianism violence

As Felix Chung, head of the liberal party and earliest China collaborator pre 97 said

"Only 50% eligible voters actually register and within that population only 20% go out and vote" - our average democracy participation isn't high"

But right now with this unrest, and current social trend - people are appealing for political reform because economic reform is stagnant. HK is owned by the land owning elite class affiliated with the Chinese elite

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Badcanto/status/1153151810623795200

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/HongKong/comments/cg718n/dogs_seen_coordinating_with_triads_last_night/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/hyjpang/status/...-china-49066982

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gh0stpinballa posted:

I’m gonna guess the answer is yes based on the number of British flags involved.

colonial nostalgia dickheads versus authoritarian douchebag cops lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress off I’m not a colonial nostalgia dickhead.

and CCP is not the god drat country

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

caberham posted:

not every rebel in Syria was a jihadist either but alas, they are still rip.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

caberham posted:

there's only one China, bitch, and it's red

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sneaks posted:

republic of China

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ah, yes, both the people protesting and tge government that hires thugs to beat up unarmed civilians are equally worthy of condemnation. If you think about it, none of this violence would have happened if those people just accepted that government's policies in the first place, so they are the ones ultimately at fault for this situation. As a leftist, I

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

caberham posted:

republic of China

wow all that purported freedom and Caberham self-censors "People's" even though they live in one of the PRC's SARs, why is that you think folks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

not every rebel in Syria was a jihadist either but alas, they are still rip.

don't be a goddamn shithead

on another note

Autism Sneaks posted:

caberham posted:

republic of China

Autism Sneaks posted:

wow all that purported freedom and Caberham self-censors "People's" even though they live in one of the PRC's SARs, why is that you think folks

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
lol at comparing HK to Syria

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

don't be a goddamn shithead

Is it untrue that the Syrian rebel movement collapsed into infighting and jihadist co-option? I was under the impression that this is what has occurred.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

caberham posted:

Implement actual one country two systems and do it right. Don't abduct book sellers, stop shoving legislation down our throats, stop stacking legco.

If universal suffrage was implemented and we didn't have the Chinese Liason office running things in the background, this city wouldn't be so angry all the time during Hand over day. Our government leadership are tied behind their backs yet at the same time claim supreme control of this city.

This just advocates for separatism if HK can't rely on western powers (sanctions etc) or China to have democracy :smith: I'm not a separatist and like Chinese culture and going to the mainland from time to time. But I think the biggest problem is the authoritarianism of CCP

Simply because of geography, separatism is pretty much impossible without relying on a token US military presence or similar so obviously I don't advocate for that. I suppose what I support is popular resistance to eroding the autonomy that is left. Even though the struggle seems futile in the long term if mainland China doesn't change, that doesn't mean the short term has no value, things can change in the meantime and the end result will in any case be shaped by struggle. So really I should have clearly positioned myself in support of the protesters from the beginning, I was basically just immersed in a dumb internet style of debating about the events, treating it like a sports event happening on social media.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

caberham posted:

Not having universal suffrage is the biggest one. This poo poo has been stewing over 20 years. I wouldn't be out on the streets if we removed functional constituencies and had universal suffrage.

If we had universal suffrage and all the pro beijing establishment won, then fine so be loving it. Just allow a system where governments can change hands. And from there we can work on voter reform like implementing Single Transferable Voting like we do in district councils.

The pro beijings need their space and representation in HK, and they were the ones who wanted STV because they were worried about not having any representation after 1997.

If universal suffrage isn't a singular systemic answer to your current political conflicts, why do you keep demanding it as the (only) solution to the question of transfer of governing power?

btw the reason why western governments keep calling for it is bcuz is relly easy to manipulate

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Is it untrue that the Syrian rebel movement collapsed into infighting and jihadist co-option? I was under the impression that this is what has occurred.

the reasons why it did so are complex and interesting and, at best, not generalizable to dismissing Hong Kong autonomy protests

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Much like with Taiwan, the CCP could literally just ignore HK and let them do whatever but Xi / the current CCP leadership has an obsession with legacy and fixing 'historical mistakes'. There's also a tendency by pro-CCP people to buy into this narrative and their claims even though they run fully against traditional communist thought, much like everything else China does.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I'm angry and scared for my friends in HK over this men in white shirts with clubs situation and I don't know how to help them from half a world away. this is bullshit. stay safe caberham. :smith:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Grapplejack posted:

Much like with Taiwan, the CCP could literally just ignore HK and let them do whatever but Xi / the current CCP leadership has an obsession with legacy and fixing 'historical mistakes'. There's also a tendency by pro-CCP people to buy into this narrative and their claims even though they run fully against traditional communist thought, much like everything else China does.

oh you're an authority on communist thought now are you

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Guyovich posted:

its p easy to get the degree nowadays tho

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

Look I have this degree from Liberty U that says that I am a master of communist thought

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Kurnugia posted:

If universal suffrage isn't a singular systemic answer to your current political conflicts, why do you keep demanding it as the (only) solution to the question of transfer of governing power?

I apologize, I have trouble understanding this question. What other systemic factors are causing current political conflicts?

This extradition ordinance only ballooned up with street protests because the legislature is stacked with functional constituencies.

The DAB, the pro government party were always proud of this bill and believed in justice for the Murderer

yet now after these protests they turn around and claim not their fault. The biggest opportunist boot lickers.

quote:

btw the reason why western governments keep calling for it is bcuz is relly easy to manipulate

The current public opinion is not appealing. The more this bill drags on, the more interference you see from the China liason office and they resort to the usual tricks like they do in the mainland

Hire thugs, beat people.

They have near limitless wealth but are still creatively broken.

During the early stages of this protest and throughout Carrie Lam’s reign, you see a lot less love china love Hong Kong type paid protestors compared to her predecessor CY Leung.

She was the one who initiated the bill (as the central government initially claimed) and thought she could deal with this 2 birds with 1 stone.

Now with this mess, and foreign media/governments talking - it has become a national domestic private matter and everyone’s on the same loop.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

caberham posted:

I apologize, I have trouble understanding this question. What other systemic factors are causing current political conflicts?
Well there are plenty of things behind this current conflict (both sides, lack of lube choices,etc) but my question was; why are the protestors demanding universal suffrage based on a parliamentary model? why is that the only possible solution, the only possible system, the only form of government being demanded, as a solution to your conflicts with the mainlanders? whatever the factors standing behind the conflict be, the protests still seem to me, to be mostly about enforcing the western parliamentary form of government

caberham posted:

This extradition ordinance only ballooned up with street protests because the legislature is stacked with functional constituencies.
The DAB, the pro government party were always proud of this bill and believed in justice for the Murderer
yet now after these protests they turn around and claim not their fault. The biggest opportunist boot lickers.
The current public opinion is not appealing. The more this bill drags on, the more interference you see from the China liason office and they resort to the usual tricks like they do in the mainland
Hire thugs, beat people.
They have near limitless wealth but are still creatively broken.
During the early stages of this protest and throughout Carrie Lam’s reign, you see a lot less love china love Hong Kong type paid protestors compared to her predecessor CY Leung.
She was the one who initiated the bill (as the central government initially claimed) and thought she could deal with this 2 birds with 1 stone.
Now with this mess, and foreign media/governments talking - it has become a national domestic private matter and everyone’s on the same loop.

er, ok. if i had some miracle of a solution, i'd tell you. i dont have a solution. what im sure of tho, is if you keep escalating your conflict and protests with the sole demand of implementing a western parliamentary system, CCP is not going to accept. they will escalate in turn, hire thugs, beat people. it's not going to end well for you

if neither side can compromise, political conflicts are resolved through violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m in yuen long and there’s mass paranoia