Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Scaramouche posted:

Neil can tell a good story or two but that's the problem, he only tells the same stories over and over again. Someone gets sucked into magical world of whimsy, they find their place/powers there, emerge grown as a person. Neverwhere, stardust, American gods, anansi boys, half the pov characters in sandman, etc.

Got some bad news about the English literary canon, you might wanna sit down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Scaramouche posted:

Neil can tell a good story or two but that's the problem, he only tells the same stories over and over again. Someone gets sucked into magical world of whimsy, they find their place/powers there, emerge grown as a person. Neverwhere, stardust, American gods, anansi boys, half the pov characters in sandman, etc.

Campbell should sue imo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Scaramouche posted:

Not seeing a problem here.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I lived with a boyfriend in his parents house in Ohio. They were fairly wealthy and had a giant mansion-like house, and one room that was roped- off, that his crazy mother rarely let anyone allow to walk inside. She called it her princess room, and it was basically a shrine to Princess Diana. White carpet, fancy velvet couch, hundreds of Diana portraits in golden frames, dolls that looked like Diana (so many dolls), Diana memorabilia, magazine covers, books, etc etc. But best of all, a gigantic clear glass grand piano with a gigantic picture of Princess Diana's face on the top of it, with the word "FOREVER". I'll never forget that room, i'll never forget how horrible his mother was, and i'll never forget peeing in the middle of her perfectly white carpet in that creepy room before I moved away forever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

Strange aeons we live in.

:stare: holy poo poo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh right, it's like that lovecraft quote

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Scaramouche posted:

male nerd power fantasy :O

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

sorry your gangly writer crush had one good idea in the 80s and has been coasting on it ever since.

edit- oh, i just realized gaiman is basically F. Scott Fitzgerald in that he's the more famous of the couple despite being way less talented than his wife.
I hate Gaiman and I was trolling you. It worked. It should have been real obvious it wasn't a serious post, but for some reason you decided I must love Neil Gaiman, a terrible writer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Lovecraft would probably dislike Gaiman quite a lot. Both as an author, and as a Jewish person. Because Lovecraft was racist! Let's talk about that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Paladinus posted:

Lovecraft would probably dislike Gaiman quite a lot. Both as an author, and as a Jewish person. Because Lovecraft was racist! Let's talk about that.

Let's not.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sure, let's pretend racism doesn't exist and see where this gets us. :rolleye:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hate Gaiman and I was trolling you. It worked. It should have been real obvious it wasn't a serious post, but for some reason you decided I must love Neil Gaiman, a terrible writer.

you love him, and you wish he would write you a manic dream girl to lead you through a variety of poorly-hanging-together escapades

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Paladinus posted:

Sure, let's pretend racism doesn't exist and see where this gets us. :rolleye:

I was thinking let’s not because it’s the same discussion every time he comes up. Did you know he was really racist, here’s his cat’s name, here are some letters from other virulent racists of the time telling him that he’s too racist, he got better near the end of his life but still bad, and so on. If you have a new angle to talk a out it from, though, I’d be fine with that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ariong posted:

I was thinking let’s not because it’s the same discussion every time he comes up. Did you know he was really racist, here’s his cat’s name, here are some letters from other virulent racists of the time telling him that he’s too racist, he got better near the end of his life but still bad, and so on. If you have a new angle to talk a out it from, though, I’d be fine with that.

HP Lovecraft was actually a biracial fishman who was trying way too hard to cover up his heritage in order to be respected by his contemporaries. Eventually it became too much, and he faked his death and returned to the ocean to be with his people.

But his stories had drifted down, and his own people shunned him for the things he said in his works. HP Lovecraft lives on to this day, pale and bloated beneath the waves, filled with regret for his words and deeds. He now posts on SA, trying in vain to connect to others like himself.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah not sure about that

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i adore cumshitter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

it's just not every day I see someone dunk another poster's alley-oop that hard

like god loving drat that is an A+ post

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Alan Smithee posted:

When do I get to scream “fake bitcoin girl!!!” During a heated gamer livestream

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Got a link for this thread?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

you love him, and you wish he would write you a manic dream girl to lead you through a variety of poorly-hanging-together escapades
*hiding behind my Mirror Mask*

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Neil Gaiman rewrote a book of Norse myths and called it Norse Mythology. INSPIRED.

Somfin posted:

Lol
Wait is this meant to be a serious post because if so I'm not gonna stop laughing for a while

Somfin posted:

Got some bad news about the English literary canon, you might wanna sit down

you seem pretty invested in defending your boyf so i'm just going to assure you that i've read just as much of his work as you have, and while i enjoy his work, i'm also capable of recognizing it's shortcomings.

If you can't recognize where he's recycling the same story beats and plot arcs then that's just on you not being a very good reader.

I think we can all agree that Gaiman's been fairly solidly eclipsed by China Mieville, whose stories share similar settings and themes but wildly different plot arcs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah China Meiville is good and interesting. Gaiman is ok too though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I keep getting told good things about China Mieville's writing, haven't had a chance to read him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I keep getting told good things about China Mieville's writing, haven't had a chance to read him.

Same, but about your mum's writing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

you seem pretty invested in defending your boyf

Weird phrasing. Wouldn't recommend it.

That bingo board you posted included squares for "death," "comedy" and "monster" which kinda put me on the wrong foot regarding how much of him you'd read vs. how much of him you'd read about on TVTropes. He's definitely guilty of recycling his fundamental plot but the fundamental plot hedges so close to the Campbell monomyth (including the General Nonsense Section) that I'm not convinced this is a Gaiman problem so much as it is a "these writers all kinda rehash the monomyth" problem.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The first thing I read by him, which remains my favorite, is Un Lun Dun. It's a children's book so he doesn't get to be the weird sex perv he is and he's constrained enough in his prose that his ideas have to get inventive in a metatextual way I won't spoil for you.
He's got two other standalone books I've enjoyed, The City & The City was confusing while I was reading it but afterwards I decided I liked it, at the end there's a bit where you can clearly see he's been influenced by european anarchist & similar social movements. There's one I don't remember the title of about aliens who eventually get addicted to lies and it destroys their civilization.

Un Lun Dun is weird but he's not trying to get into your face with it.

Somfin posted:

That bingo board you posted included squares for "death," "comedy" and "monster" which kinda put me on the wrong foot regarding how much of him you'd read vs. how much of him you'd read about on TVTropes. He's definitely guilty of recycling his fundamental plot but the fundamental plot hedges so close to the Campbell monomyth (including the General Nonsense Section) that I'm not convinced this is a Gaiman problem so much as it is a "these writers all kinda rehash the monomyth" problem.

Neverwhere, his short story collections, Good Omens, The Graveyard Book, all of his comics twice, American Gods, and i followed his blog for a while until he made some bitchy comments about a joke I made conflating Thesbians with Thebians.

His issue isn't with the monomyth, his issue is that he rehashes the same specific story beats and general mood in all of his books. His contemporaries, who are largely trying to ride his coattails, rehash the same poo poo he rehashes because they learned it from him. Gaimanning is an extremely noticable, specific trend in older/middle aged white writers who grew up as a counterculture nerd.

Mieville grew up in the industrial rave scene. A fairly major plot point in one of his earlier works (King Rat) actually hinges on how people dance to industrial music. I think that's a neat detail. I don't have any final point to make. Post over.

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Jul 22, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ugh take it to bookbarn you nerds.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

ah, the two things the french hate most: mosquitoes, and their larger brethren, mosques

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

WalletBeef posted:

Cut my steak into pieces
This is my last re-fill

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Screaming Idiot posted:

HP Lovecraft was actually a biracial fishman who was trying way too hard to cover up his heritage in order to be respected by his contemporaries. Eventually it became too much, and he faked his death and returned to the ocean to be with his people.

But his stories had drifted down, and his own people shunned him for the things he said in his works. HP Lovecraft lives on to this day, pale and bloated beneath the waves, filled with regret for his words and deeds. He now posts on SA, trying in vain to connect to others like himself.

but he was trans!

sorta

well, he grew up with his mother dressing him as a girl and telling everyone he was her daughter, while his father was dying in an asylum

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Thats...extremely hosed up and I did not know that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't China Mieville turn out to be an abuser?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Perdido st station annoyed the poo poo out of me with its endless dreary miserabilism but the guy can def write. City and the city is supposed to be good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

sebmojo posted:

Perdido st station annoyed the poo poo out of me with its endless dreary miserabilism but the guy can def write. City and the city is supposed to be good.

I haven’t read Perdido Street but I’ve read The Scar and City and the City and they both suffered from the same problem, which was that he’s really good at worldbuilding but less good at plot, so you get a lot of really great setup and then it’s like he suddenly remembers he needs to resolve things and doesn’t quite pull that part off as well as the rest of it. However, I’ve also heard that

Dabir posted:

Didn't China Mieville turn out to be an abuser?

which I think has been borne out; my understanding is that he isn’t necessarily accused of things that are easily provable crimes, but that he is accused of things that people generally understand to be Bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've read Perdido Street Station and it's a D&D setting sourcebook without the rules mechanics.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I hadn't heard anything about China Mieville being an abuser before, and after searching it all I can find is a very vague piece that reads a lot like "he cheated on me".

Which is still lovely as hell (especially if you're the one on the receiving end), but not really what I'd call "abuse".

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I've also heard the accusation thrown around before but I could never find a source that details any abuse, so if anyone's got it please do share it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can’t find anything concrete but I learned he is British which lets face it is practically an admission of Guilt

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
My impression of the situation—which could be wrong—is that because the accusations aren’t necessarily of crimes and can’t necessarily be proven, people aren’t writing “China Miéville did these specific things to me” because it would open them up to legal action.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Truthfully saying that somebody did a lovely yet legal thing doesn't open you up to a lawsuit.

Exaggerating things because you were legitimately in love with someone and are incredibly angry at them for cheating on you definitely could though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wasn't Theodore Dreiser an abuser? Or am I thinking of Hemingway?