Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You shoulda kept a European capital tbb, better trade and trade company shi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Court and Country is really annoying -- if unrest gets below 1, it resets. I have to keep truce-breaking and racking up war exhaustion just to get it.

You had less than 1 unrest at -3 stab without war exhaustion? If your government has RMs it's easy to stabhit yourself, same if you have colonization policies. Unless you have Diplomatic, then the RM cancel doesn't work.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe he had really high corruption

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Azhais posted:

Maybe he had really high corruption

I had Consort of the People for -2 unrest and some corruption, yeah. And Diplomatic ideas.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Going for those achievements you need to spend a ton of time resetting for really hurts my enjoyment of the game. Just wasted like ten hours going for the Navarra one only to ultimately give up. I need to pick something fun next time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

KoldPT posted:

Going for those achievements you need to spend a ton of time resetting for really hurts my enjoyment of the game. Just wasted like ten hours going for the Navarra one only to ultimately give up. I need to pick something fun next time.

African Power is a fun one, if you don't have it already. You get to have some real big wars near the end of it.
You can also combine it with the fetishist achievement for an extra challenge.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's too bad that all the cheevos with good African nations (Mutapa and Songhai) are dead easy

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I find stuff like Bunte Kuh, Lucky Lucca, and That's a Silk Road to be the gold standards of fun achievements. Either something that takes a quirky nation or something everyone can technically accomplish, but without any crippling time limits clamped on top of it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I liked the sun god one, because they have the least annoying new world religion mechanics. So you're on a bit of a timer in that you want to basically be done reforming your religion and taking over the local area before the euros show up because when they do you'll be unable to war for a while because of smallpox. After that you're on a bit of a timer in that you need to spread out to where you can fight against colonial nations before they can really establish themselves, and once you do that you've got it in the bag. Either colonizing the rest of it yourself or letting colonial nations grab chunks and war with them every time you can and steal all but 1 away.

After that you can pick your next personal goal, because with all the incan gold you have the economy to basically do what you want. You don't have to be great at the game or perfect with your manipulation of mechanics and stuff, but there is a decent amount of challenge and a soft time clock that adds pressure but is beatable.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

I find stuff like Bunte Kuh, Lucky Lucca, and That's a Silk Road to be the gold standards of fun achievements. Either something that takes a quirky nation or something everyone can technically accomplish, but without any crippling time limits clamped on top of it.

There was one for Saxony to own all the porcelain producing provinces, most of them are in China. That produced the most amazing "Saxony snake" world maps.
Switzerlake is an other achievement for every pretty borders person.

Most of my undone achievements are ones with time limits or those for the Americas, because I refuse to play American Natives in their current lovely state.

Asia can be fun to play in if you finish before 1600, after that it becomes garbage because everyone around you will sell provinces you need to European charter companies.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think the game needs some sort of enhancements of default mission tree so that you get something achievement style there. Recently I did Luck of the Irish (start as Irish OPM and conquer all Britain, I know it's not really hard but still) and it was sad that the game itself didn't really acknowledge this achievement. It's not the meme meta-achievement after all. The same happened in my game as Ayutthaya, I got White Elephant achievement (basically expand) and it wasn't integrated into missions.

The game is still enjoyable when you play in a relaxed opportunistic way (arguably "historical" way to play) but starting from midgame it would make sense for everything to be spiced up by some sort of personal objective. After all, by that time you're probably a big empire with some sort of geopolitical ambitions, not just desire to win. I think the old mission system made more sense in that regard, even though it wasn't that important, mostly giving you free conquest CBs. You sorta got that thing integrated through rivals, you always have some dudes you want to screw up. But it's not an end goal. Something like golden age trigger could be used there, but in EU4 golden age is a button you smash ASAP, it's not some grand goal.

Am I onto something here or just blabbering?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tahirovic posted:

Asia can be fun to play in if you finish before 1600, after that it becomes garbage because everyone around you will sell provinces you need to European charter companies.

This is annoying to be sure, but it’s not actually that difficult to take them. Often you can wardec a local they’ve allied/guaranteed and roll over the local long before any euro troops show up, then grab the chartered province in the peace deal. Failing that, get a claim on the province and declare on them directly with that as the CB/war goal. Take the province and ticking war score will eventually be enough to settle and take the province. Again, it takes the euros forever to send troops over and you can usually destroy them piecemeal or at sea anyway

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

KoldPT posted:

I did a From Humble Origins/Ideas Guy/First Come First Serve run that was fantastic. I started right next to the Nahuatl nations and bum rushed them for territory in order to enrich myself right away. I used Nahuatl religion to avoid having to do conversions and since you're western you don't deal with the pre-reform mechanics - but you also don't get their bonuses.

By the end I was so rich that I was building factories in every province. Didn't build one in every province but if possible it was always the first thing I built after colonizing or conquering a place. Here's a screenshot of my income when I finished in the mid 1700s.

ZypherIM posted:

I liked the sun god one, because they have the least annoying new world religion mechanics. So you're on a bit of a timer in that you want to basically be done reforming your religion and taking over the local area before the euros show up because when they do you'll be unable to war for a while because of smallpox. After that you're on a bit of a timer in that you need to spread out to where you can fight against colonial nations before they can really establish themselves, and once you do that you've got it in the bag. Either colonizing the rest of it yourself or letting colonial nations grab chunks and war with them every time you can and steal all but 1 away.

After that you can pick your next personal goal, because with all the incan gold you have the economy to basically do what you want. You don't have to be great at the game or perfect with your manipulation of mechanics and stuff, but there is a decent amount of challenge and a soft time clock that adds pressure but is beatable.

You can also go for this as a trial run. You'll have better ideas, a stronger base economy, and the bonuses from reforming your religion. The smallpox will delay your military expansion for a bit but you can usually conquer your entire area by the time they show up.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

This is annoying to be sure, but it’s not actually that difficult to take them. Often you can wardec a local they’ve allied/guaranteed and roll over the local long before any euro troops show up, then grab the chartered province in the peace deal. Failing that, get a claim on the province and declare on them directly with that as the CB/war goal. Take the province and ticking war score will eventually be enough to settle and take the province. Again, it takes the euros forever to send troops over and you can usually destroy them piecemeal or at sea anyway

I agree it's not a problem to take them but it's super annoying. Portugal for example has no power projection to India, it took over 3 years until they agreed to give me that lovely 7 dev province. They landed troops twice during that time, a stack of 14 and a stack of 17, both were easily killed by the stacks I had to keep close to the coast.
It's just the usual issue of the AI being dumb and not realizing when they and their allies get into an unwinnable war. It's not really fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've often seen them sell provinces to the Mamluks or Ottomans too. That's a fun one. Especially the latter when they easily get access and just marches down on you.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was playing an England game and got it off the ground by PU'ing France and loving up everybody who came at me in a coalition, which ultimately resulted in Castile and Portugal getting nuked by Granada and Morocco, respectively.

Well after letting everybody cool down I went on colonizing since I had no "serious" enemy colonizers anymore, Castile Norway and Portugal only managed to get like 5-10 colonies off the ground all over the world and then folded to the North Africans, and Granada didn't really go all in on colonization, only staying until end game with a measly 6 provinces "new Castile" CN. The Ottomans tried it but sadly for them, they got crushed by me (stealing their Egypt for myself and their Balkans to feed my own-half-of-Italy PU subject Ferrara) and Commonwealth (stealing their everything else) so they were pretty short lived as colonizers.

I was already rejoicing at the idea of pretty borders, but nooooo, loving East Frisia, Norway, Hamburg and Commonwealth decided to loving purchase trade company land from whoever. So Commonwealth, an entity who has their trade interest squarely in the Baltic Sea node, just HAD to buy a province off Mali and a province off Bengal to spite me. I wanted to be forever allies to you, buddies, but you pushed my hand and now you got a hellwar coming <:mad:>

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 22, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This is off-topic but I want to recommend everyone interested in games like that to take a long hard look at Field of Glory: Empires. It's from AGEOD, this time they managed to make UI that you can't use without taking a course. It's very boardgamey but complex enough to feel like a grand sweep of history; it also reminds you that detail for detail sake is not necessarily good. It's refreshing in how everything matters at this scope. It also managed to make nations feel very distinct through mechanics alone, perhaps due to its higher level scope.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Didn't Paradox own AGEOD for like a couple months at one point?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Why is Totemist so bad? There's literally no reward for starting as a North American Native, especially if you're not an OPM. The first 100 years of the game you play a minigame where you build a bunch of buildings and get a bunch of ideas and then you press Reform Religion and all of a sudden you lose literally every single one of those ideas and buildings and get... Nothing?? Are there any mods or anything that make North American Natives not literally the worst ever?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mantis42 posted:

Didn't Paradox own AGEOD for like a couple months at one point?

Yeah, but it was a little longer than that. My memory of Paradox France (no poo poo) is a little hazy yeears on, but as I recall AGEOD got really mad Paradox put their games on sale at one point (a completely normal thing to do lmao), they both decided to split and leave Paradox with a March of the Eagles to finish, and then Johan argued on the AGEOD forums about it for a bit. Paradox really dodged a bullet since the next AGEOD release was Pride of Nations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilitarist posted:

I think the game needs some sort of enhancements of default mission tree so that you get something achievement style there. Recently I did Luck of the Irish (start as Irish OPM and conquer all Britain, I know it's not really hard but still) and it was sad that the game itself didn't really acknowledge this achievement. It's not the meme meta-achievement after all. The same happened in my game as Ayutthaya, I got White Elephant achievement (basically expand) and it wasn't integrated into missions.

The game is still enjoyable when you play in a relaxed opportunistic way (arguably "historical" way to play) but starting from midgame it would make sense for everything to be spiced up by some sort of personal objective. After all, by that time you're probably a big empire with some sort of geopolitical ambitions, not just desire to win. I think the old mission system made more sense in that regard, even though it wasn't that important, mostly giving you free conquest CBs. You sorta got that thing integrated through rivals, you always have some dudes you want to screw up. But it's not an end goal. Something like golden age trigger could be used there, but in EU4 golden age is a button you smash ASAP, it's not some grand goal.

Am I onto something here or just blabbering?

This is something I think about often, but I think the overarching problem is that all these systems are just duct taped together from years of piecemeal DLC and old EU3 concepts. Hopefully EU5 will have a more cohesive mission system.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Beamed posted:

Yeah, but it was a little longer than that. My memory of Paradox France (no poo poo) is a little hazy yeears on, but as I recall AGEOD got really mad Paradox put their games on sale at one point (a completely normal thing to do lmao), they both decided to split and leave Paradox with a March of the Eagles to finish, and then Johan argued on the AGEOD forums about it for a bit. Paradox really dodged a bullet since the next AGEOD release was Pride of Nations.

The reason AGEOD was pissed at PDX was because Pride of Nations was in development well before the PDX merger. PDX forced AGEOD to stop working on that and push it out early (when it only needed a few more months to fix the biggest issues) so they could work on March of the Eagles. Then they had irreconcilable design differences on how to make that so they split. All AGEOD were left with from the deal were the rights to sell PON that Johan had the gall to say sold like poo poo (which was PDXs fault) so they didn't want it anyway.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I didn't know all this unpleasantness about Pride of Nations but this is very sad indeed. From a technical point of view Pride of Nation is hot garbage, I've checked it out on a beast of the machine available only many years after release and it still janky and barely works. Mind you, it's a Paradox published game, and a couple of months later they pushed Sword of the Stars 2 which was hot garbage too. So I suspect this was more due to Paradox policies at the time rather than developers turning bad. Before that in 2010 AGEOD released a perfectly playable game Rise of Prussia.

They certainly have a different design philosophy. Apart from Pride of Nations and now Field of Glory Empires they've made games about very specific periods and scenarios about very specific wars. They also feel like boardgames on drugs: you have out of map regions, obscure special rules simulating historical events, abstract victory point fights. They also try to be very simulationist and thus have hundreds of types of units with unique art and name.

Anyway, FOGE is different from they did before. They've borrowed an engine from Slitherine and it works like a charm. Nice performance, UI is scaled in 4K with no issues. It's still boardgamey though. You accumulate decadence and culture and win by getting the biggest legacy score - which, among other things, means that direct conquest doesn't necessarily make you win. There's rise and fall simulated, sorta, as well as golden ages. POPs have culture and class (citizen or slave, that's all) and a number of pops in the city directly translates into the number of buildings you can build. Each province you create from several cities gets a unique strong unit, and special units cost more the more of them you hire. It's all simple yet cohesive, everything affects everything. There are dozens of trade goods that interact with buildings in different ways.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 23, 2019

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have been trying to do a Dithmarschen game and uh, is the HRE like... good, from a game design standpoint? I understand that starting as an OPM is always going to be a harder option, but it's really like pulling teeth to put so much "wait for AE to cool down" time into a game where conquering other people is the only thing you really do. Like, the last two attempts I bailed on because in one, I got coalitioned by a bunch of small states + Holland's ally, England, when my allies were all busy at war, and that was over vassalising a 3 province country when I had claims on all three provinces. Then in a recent game I took East Frisia at the start, got warned by Denmark, and just had to sit there for twenty years not being able to do anything at all.

Is there something else you're intended to do while you wait for the AE to cool down, or are you just meant to sit there on speed 5 for ages? I get that it's simulating a real historical political system to some extent, but it's really, really boring, it's not really challenging anything but my patience.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This speed 5 option is there for a reason.

I think it's fine. There's a plenty of things you can do, like maybe getting involved in different theaters - beating Provance will probably not trigger Pommerania and vice versa. Also with Mare Nostrum you can benefit from renting your armies in a time of peace.

I guess your options are very limited without sea access so you probably should get it ASAP to go beat people no ine cares about.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

without super ae the hre would probably coagulate by 1600

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Which it always does anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, the HRE does a lousy job of doing what it did in the real world: protecting thousands of tiny principalities. As far as I'm aware the only large consolidations really happened after the 30YW and then after the Vienna Congress, by which time the Empire had been dissolved.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The Emperor should be giving out local privileged like candy and split up states constantly. Bohemia? More like the principalities of Moravia and Upper and Lower Bohemia. As well as the Free Cities of Prague and Bratislava.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

If you aren't already doing so, try to manage AE with improve-relations and truces. Sometimes you need to declare wars just to get truces. Diplomatic ideas are a must.

Even if you do it perfectly you can't go on an all-out conquering spree, but you can absolutely expand without (much) speed-5 downtime.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So whats the strat for going up against Ming? I'm having some trouble with them in a multiplayer game and I'm not entirely sure how to tackle them without just getting flattened by their armies. Because I'm in Central Asia playing the Mughals while just starting to brush up against their inner tributaries and we have another player on Japan who is essentially locked out of the mainland due to Ming's Tributary network its become more and more pressing that they are dealt with in one way or another.

I also have a single player Russia game that I'm playing as well where I'm encountering similar problems.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Start by removing tributaries around Ming so that your country is touching them directly. You can do this by declaring war on allies of tributaries to draw them in without having Ming show up and smash you. Both eliminating tributaries and direct adjacency to your entire country reduces the mandate flowing into Ming which affects how stable and strong they are militarily. Once they are below 50 they start getting penalized and will take more damage in fights as well as having less mercenaries available for them to use. Once you're warring them devastation plays a pretty big effect on Mandate too; it's why winning the naval war and blockading their broad coastline for a long time is so effective.

So that's two ways, stripping their tributary armour away (while being at parity with them so they aren't willing to fight you) piece by piece until mandate tanks or devastate them in a long white peace war (so no revanchism afterward + only 5 years truce) before lunging for the jugular.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My only question is when you eventually border them then how do you stop them from just using the tributary cb on you and smashing you?

edit: wording

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 29, 2019

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

My only question is when you eventually border them then how do you stop them from just using the tributary cb on you and smashing you?

edit: wording

Is a person playing Ming or the ai?

If it's a person, you go back in time and ban them from playing Ming.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Become a tributary yourself until you can beat them

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ming is an AI, our set up right now is Mughals (me), Japan, Spain and Denmark

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah just nibble away at tributaries by DoWing their allies, get a border with Ming (and enough of an alliance to dissuade them from attacking you, not hard to do yourself as Mughals), and once their mandate tanks, you can just roll over their armies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Wafflecopper posted:

Become a tributary yourself until you can beat them

Doubly so if you're a Horde. :black101:

My best Manchu run I managed to catch Ming off-guard when it made the first Mandate decision. Their value tanked, I noticed rebels were running around and they were fresh off an establish tributary war so I broke our agreement and warred for Beijing after the truce. They never recovered from that, while I had plenty of fat provinces to raze.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ming troops mostly fight like dirt.

If you have some halfway decent troops you should be able to wipe the floor with them, even though the numbers look imposing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
As the Mughals you are in possession of Afghanistan. Just let the Chinese march through there.