Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

A good question. I was also curious if someone who learns magic goes into a non-magic class, do they lose access to their spells?
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Couple crest thoughts from looking at pre-release videos from review sites. Nothing major but I figured I'd put it in spoilers.

Linhardt and Flayn share the Crest of Cethleann, with Linhardt having a Minor Crest and Flayn having a Major Crest.
Hannemann and Bernadetta both have the Minor Crest of Indech.
Lysithea and Catherine have the Crest of Charon. We don't know if Catherine's is Major or Minor, but Lysithea's is Minor.
Lysithea also has the Major Crest of Gloucester, while Lorenz has the Minor Crest. This is interesting since Lorenz seems like he's heir to the territory of Gloucester, even though he only has a Minor Crest.

It's also worth noting that Linhardt doesn't support Flayn, but Hannemann and Bernadetta do have a support, as do Lysithea and Catherine and Lysithea and Lorenz. The obviously interesting angle is what Lysithea's whole deal is, especially with her having two crests. At the moment, my guess would be she's the result of some kind of marriage alliance that was aiming to produce a child with two Major Crests, maybe?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I bet it's cuz she's cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Are crests just slang for holy blood

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Are crests just slang for holy blood
they're slang for crests. they're literal magical crests.

they have some similarities to holy blood so theyre clearly inspired by it but some of the details are different, mostly in that major/minor isn't absolute. some people who are direct descendants of the heroes dont manifest crests at all, and likewise rarely people who are very very distant offshoots manifest major crests.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So I see 2 separate people trying to sell the Three Houses collector's edition on SA Mart. Are people dropping their pre-orders for whatever reason, or is it just a coincidence?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chris Niosi is male Byleth

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Neo_Crimson posted:

So I see 2 separate people trying to sell the Three Houses collector's edition on SA Mart. Are people dropping their pre-orders for whatever reason, or is it just a coincidence?

Probably people who pre-ordered more than one specifically to sell the extra.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Tae posted:

Chris Niosi is male Byleth

i know they're unrelated but lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
For the record, Chris Niosi was also Mattias and Therion in Octopath Traveler, and he was pretty good in those roles.

And while his role in YIIK can't be denied, I'm going to put that one up to what I call "Bella Swan" syndrome (ie. "Kristen Stewart is a perfectly good actress, Bella Swan was just an incredibly lovely role/written horribly").

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah but the problem is not the quality of his acting but his character

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Did Treehouse do no research? After the whole Vic fiasco, you think they would use their head and filter the shitheads a bit.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
So these crests are all called Major/Minor Crest of <X>. Do we know what these names refer to (either from promo or spoiler/leak material)? Are they old historical figures? Gods? Place names?

Tae posted:

Male dancer

I... I must have this.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Terper posted:

Yeah but the problem is not the quality of his acting but his character

This. I still want to get the game and do my best to enjoy it, but... yikes. I hope they at least recast him by the time Byleth inevitably makes it to Smash.

e: He apparently broke his non-disclosure agreement over it, but the game comes out Friday so :shrug:

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 22, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Edelgard would definitely get into Smash over Byleth

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I honestly hope that the Byleth smash character is a Pokemon trainer-type where they swap out between Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude.

And with no Byleth voiceover because Chris Niosi sucks

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Minus Green posted:

This. I still want to get the game and do my best to enjoy it, but... yikes. I hope they at least recast him by the time Byleth inevitably makes it to Smash.

e: He apparently broke his non-disclosure agreement over it, but the game comes out Friday so :shrug:

he broke his NDA? i thought we all learned about this from the feh dataminers getting m!byleth's data, but still it sucks

Tired Moritz posted:

Did Treehouse do no research? After the whole Vic fiasco, you think they would use their head and filter the shitheads a bit.

they recast cristina vee but couldn't recast niosi after :yiikes: and all the poo poo he kept under wraps for years finally bubbled to the surface earlier this year :negative:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

he broke his NDA? i thought we all learned about this from the feh dataminers getting m!byleth's data, but still it sucks

Yeah, he bragged about it at some point before E3. This post from the woman he told goes into more detail, about this and a lot of Niosi's other behaviors.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I think I can wait on three houses if they couldn't bother to avoid hiring a giant creep as ONE OF THEIR PROTAGONIST'S VOICES. Like, what, was Yuri lowenthal and Bryce Pepenbrook busy to get into contact with?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vocal directors don't check random unsourced tumblr posts believe it or not

not that im denying or downplaying anything he did but considering even people who are super plugged into nerd culture have barely heard of it unless they're obsessed with a bad indie game, i cant blame random casting directors for being unaware of it. its not like vic where hes one of the most prominent voice actors in the industry and had been for years, this is a guy whose prominent role was like 3 years ago and who barely anyone talks about. The only reason the accusations even remotely picked up steam is because yiik was the internet punching bag for a minute.

and also hes already paid so whether or not you buy three houses has nothing to do with anything involving him.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 22, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Endorph posted:

and also hes already paid so whether or not you buy three houses has nothing to do with anything involving him.

Theoretically if people boycott the game over it and it's clear that's what they're boycotting about, it would have an effect at least for his prospects for the future, but in reality that isn't going to happen and I'll just play using FByleth (which I was planning to do anyway) to avoid him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
heck in this case he bragged about it back in E3 and no one picked up on it evidently, so his shittiness is really lowkey in the public eye

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think a more realistic way to affect his future career prospects would be to spread around the information about him in a clear, straightforward way instead of posting the yiik emote on something awful

i actively looked up info on him when people were first mentioning him here and it was nearly impossible for me to find anything besides random posts about 'oh, he sucks' with no more information. vic got away with it for 15 years because everyone just kept it to backroom whispers and handwringing. i cannot blame nintendo for not going to page 17 of google and following a tumblr reply chain, as much as it sucks that he got work. it's seriously hard to find this stuff, and it's even harder to find it presented in a straightforward, easily digestible way, rather than as vague 'i think i heard he did something bad?' it doesn't help how much it's been tied into generic yiik bashing, it's easy to imagine someone seeing the vague rumors and just assuming they're part of the yiik meme.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 22, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so is anybody gonna give a short version on why this guy is lovely or what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agean90 posted:

so is anybody gonna give a short version on why this guy is lovely or what
Was sexually and mentally abusive to several ex-girlfriends, including both threatening to commit suicide and trying to pressure one into committing suicide. Iunno if it's like Vic where he's also preying on fans, which would also be a factor in how industry-facing this stuff is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I believe there have been accusations but he simply wouldn't have a fanbase comparable to Vic's in size.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Please no Byleth in Smash when Edelgard is RIGHT THERE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Please no Byleth in Smash when Edelgard is RIGHT THERE

its 100% gonna be edelgard in smash, theyve pushed her super hard in all the marketing for three houses

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
She does have a really distinctive design, especially post timeskip.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Endorph posted:

its 100% gonna be edelgard in smash, theyve pushed her super hard in all the marketing for three houses

But will she get twink and twunk versions like Ike did?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

The Bee posted:

But will she get twink and twunk versions like Ike did?

Nintendo purports to love us, so yes?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

And even the main theme is named after her.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It'll be Raphael

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A rumor I heard is that he only wanted to be Byleth so that he could be in Smash and gently caress with one of his ex-girlfriends so I am very much down for Byleth never showing up in Smash.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

In a surprise twist nobody asked for, it'll still be Alphonse for Smash

Although I'd kinda like Claude for Smash?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am now definitely going to play with Japanese voices

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for the record the guy did put out a bunch of apologies on his tumblr in the past couple of days, up to you if you think they're sincere or not but they at least seem pretty forthright about some of the stuff he did and owning up to it, addressed to specific people and acknowledging specific things rather than 'the bad thing i did once,' and at least some of the people involved are replying with 'i dont forgive you but this is a first step.' so again, up to you how to take it.

quote:

My name is Christopher Niosi; also known as Kirbopher. I am 30 years old and for about half of my lifetime, I have horribly mistreated and abused friends, colleagues and even my significant others. It is time that I addressed each and every one of those people and responded to their feelings with individual apologies for what I’ve done to hurt them. This will be a masterpost containing all of the appropriate posts in one location, so that the people they have been written for, along with anyone else who wishes to read them, can easily access the information.

I will provide a foreword about everything

Before reading any of these, I ask that to anyone and everyone who sees this, including those I am apologizing to, to please allow me to put some things out here that are likely to come off as selfish, I feel are very important. I know that my decision to do this is inherently going to come off as a PR stunt or some form of damage control. While I can understand why people will think this, I want to assure you that it is not. This is not an attempt to preserve my career, or livelihood or my social standings with anybody. I have accepted that by talking about all of these things, my life is going to change and there will be consequences. More importantly, this is not in expectance of any form of forgiveness either, as I will be stating many times in several of these apologies, that I do not expect any of the following people TO forgive me for all I’ve done.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 22, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Post-timeskip mechanical spoilers:

All four lords do get unique classes. Edelgard has Armored Lord (with armor movement, boo!) and Byleth gets a special infantry class with a name that might be extra spoilery. It seems fairly obvious that Dmitri will have a horse and that Claude will indeed ride a wyvern.

No confirmation on what they specialize in, although the odds-on favorites would be Authority, their respective default weapon types, and their respective movement types. Since Byleth's class is infantry, it might have a third specialization in something else; I would guess Faith, Byleth's hidden talent.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 22, 2019

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The larger question is why Nintendo goes for Bottom Of The Barrel voice actors and not hiring Union Actors.

SPOILERS: It's because they're cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zoran posted:

Post-timeskip mechanical spoilers:

All four lords do get unique classes. Edelgard has Armored Lord (with armor movement, boo!) and Byleth gets a special infantry class with a name that might be extra spoilery. No idea what they specialize in. It seems fairly obvious that Dmitri will have a horse and that Claude will indeed ride a wyvern.

i mean Edelgard has an affinity for heavy armor as a student so her being a general as empress was telegraphed