Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So if I buy this new Switch do I have to send my old one along with the new one to Nintendo in order to have my data and whatnot transferred to it or has Nintendo joined the modern age?

Full account transfer: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27394/~/how-to-transfer-your-user-data

Save data transfer for playing on more than one Switch: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45047/~/how-to-transfer-your-save-data-to-a-nearby-nintendo-switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rabelais D posted:

Someone mentioned it recently so allow me to chime in and say that Mario Tennis is an amazing online co-op game, I play with Japanese randoms in online doubles and it's just excellent fun and the netcode isn't bad at all. I imagine it would be even better playing couch co-op with a partner in online doubles but my wife looks at me with a mixture of both contempt and disgust when I'm playing so that will remain hypothetical. It's great for five minute sessions or going on huge tournament winning sprees with some pubbie I manage to gel with

Also I only ever play as Toad because he makes the Zoidberg woop woop noise when he does trick shots

My only problem with Tennis is that it feels like it takes ages to get a match, especially compared to Splatoon and Smash. Normal mode is pretty fast, usually less than a minute, but I can wait for ages waiting for a doubles partner (in which I'm still stuck in the low rank C's because I can't carry a match by myself), and forget simple mode, it feels like no one ever plays it.

It is a drat fun game. I don't really like Normal mode, too many bells and whistles, but that's fine for the bit I play the game.

Len posted:

Not gonna lie my WiiU was bought pretty much for Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Pikmin 3 was just a happy coincidence

I guess it's safe to say that the ship has sailed on Wii U/older ports huh? I don't feel like they'll put anymore out with as large a library they have, that's only going to continue to increase. What a pity, I was really hoping on Pikmin, Metroid, and Zelda ports for the games I never played.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Switch will not be worth it until I can play Pikmin 1, 2 and 3 on it

and also 4

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Andrast posted:

and also 4

Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Bayonetta, and Luigi's Mansion Trilogies when, you cowards

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Awesome. Nintendo is finally in the 21st century.

For what it's worth you could system-transfer between two 3DS's or Wii U's too. The catch was, you needed to still have your old one (and it needed to work). So not that great

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Man I pre-ordered Astral Chain because the Switch News were like "HEY! This is available for pre-order now!" a couple of days ago and I planned on using my second voucher for that anyway. So I did, and lo and behold it started downloading! And judging from the size of it, it's definitely (mostly) the full game. LET ME PLAY THE GAME ASSHOLES!!

I know pre-loads are a thing and generally I love them but I'm used to them being like, a week before at max, more often than not it's like a day or two before release. Not 45 friggin' days. If it's already that far done that I can pre-load the whole darn thing already then just let me play it! I know, I know, it doesn't work like that and there's probably a ton of good reasons why it is the way it is. I'm just mad/sad because I really want to play this game and I really don't want to wait till 08/30.

On a different note, I bought another set of vouchers after spending my first two on SMM2 and Astral Chain. The second set is going to Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3. Speaking of, I never got to play the second Luigis Mansion because I never owned a 3DS. They still had a dedicated "Mario?" button, right? They better have. I'm gonna be so sad if LM3 doesn't have a dedicated "Mario?" button. That was almost my favorite part of the first Luigi's Mansion... there's like a countless number of ways and inflections Luigi says "Mario?" whenever you press A and it never failed to fill me with glee and joy when I heard it. Luigi best Mario.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My only problem with Tennis is that it feels like it takes ages to get a match, especially compared to Splatoon and Smash. Normal mode is pretty fast, usually less than a minute, but I can wait for ages waiting for a doubles partner (in which I'm still stuck in the low rank C's because I can't carry a match by myself), and forget simple mode, it feels like no one ever plays it.

Yeah I get the feeling that it's much more popular in Japan than the States, and as I'm in Hong Kong I can pair up with Japanese players easily. I get a doubles partner within seconds and games within a minute.

It's a shame because it's a really well made game and very satisfying to play. Would have been a big seller at thirty bucks but I've had like 300 hours of play out of it (it's been my go-to game for after work relaxation for a year now) so full price was still a steal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Literally all I had to do was look at the last page, nevermind

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 22, 2019

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

and also 4

:hai:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

pikmin's so good, it better not have gone the way of f-zero, star fox, earthbound.. gosh all the best nintendo franchises

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just finished the third story island in Dragon Quest Builders 2, I'll guess after I build up the third area on the Hub Island there will be another island and then I'll have about everything unlocked. This game is real good, I work nights so I get a few hours to play in handheld mode once things get quiet. I'd heard from some people that when they're playing it in handheld mode they only get an hour of play time, but I get about three if I'm running in airplane mode.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a bit of a disappointment. I wasn't expecting anything great, but I played it up to a fight in The Dark Dimension that feels like a huge jump in difficulty and the combat mechanics feel less engaging than they did in the first Ultimate Alliance. Dodging is okay, but I liked the knock-up attacks from the earlier games. It felt like a very comic book thing. Also disappointing that the alternate costume options are so basic, just palette swaps that I've seen. Last complaint is that character progression is totally linear, no choices in skills at all as you level things up. Maybe late game ISO8 gives some better variety? I like it better than Ultimate Alliance 2, though.

Anyway I recommend Dragon Quest Builders 2 to absolutely anyone who has ever liked Minecraft even slightly. You can even play in first person if you want.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just finished the third story island in Dragon Quest Builders 2, I'll guess after I build up the third area on the Hub Island there will be another island and then I'll have about everything unlocked. This game is real good, I work nights so I get a few hours to play in handheld mode once things get quiet. I'd heard from some people that when they're playing it in handheld mode they only get an hour of play time, but I get about three if I'm running in airplane mode.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a bit of a disappointment. I wasn't expecting anything great, but I played it up to a fight in The Dark Dimension that feels like a huge jump in difficulty and the combat mechanics feel less engaging than they did in the first Ultimate Alliance. Dodging is okay, but I liked the knock-up attacks from the earlier games. It felt like a very comic book thing. Also disappointing that the alternate costume options are so basic, just palette swaps that I've seen. Last complaint is that character progression is totally linear, no choices in skills at all as you level things up. Maybe late game ISO8 gives some better variety? I like it better than Ultimate Alliance 2, though.

Anyway I recommend Dragon Quest Builders 2 to absolutely anyone who has ever liked Minecraft even slightly. You can even play in first person if you want.

I also recommend it to people who don't like Minecraft. I never got into Minecraft since I need some motivation and direction to actually build stuff. DQ Builders 2 has a (long) story, goals and more direction just in general since you have a bunch of NPCs you are building stuff for, even in the hub island.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zas posted:

pikmin's so good, it better not have gone the way of f-zero, star fox, earthbound.. gosh all the best nintendo franchises

Pikmin 4's been confirmed for a fair while now.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Andrast posted:

I also recommend it to people who don't like Minecraft. I never got into Minecraft since I need some motivation and direction to actually build stuff. DQ Builders 2 has a (long) story, goals and more direction just in general since you have a bunch of NPCs you are building stuff for, even in the hub island.

Gonna second this, DQB2 is worth trying even if you've bounced off of Minecraft in the past. I could never get into Minecraft and other similar sandboxes so it was the Dragon Quest part that attracted me to DQB2 and the game really lives up to that so far with a good story and lots of reasons to do all the building stuff. There's also lots of exploration and the world feels very designed, not randomly generated like in Minecraft, so oddly enough DQB2 reminds me of BotW in that respect, it's fun to just wander around finding neat stuff and little secrets in this big world you've been plonked into.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

FLAW #1! I paid full price for yet another fire emblem game I play for an hour and bounce off of because I suck and someone died.

You now get like 4 mulligans per level. Straight to the trash with that garbage

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

MarcusSA posted:

Also taking into account that it’s reliable to get $100 Eshop credit for $85 (ish) which makes it an even better deal.

How do you go about doing this?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That sucks rear end vs the primary/secondary model on other consoles. Some kids gonna catch a beating for holding up the family trip trying to wirelessly copy their switch onto their switch lite

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pikmin 4's been confirmed for a fair while now.

Yeah Pikmin is still coming, last we heard. Also I doubt they’ll let Pikmin 3 die with the WiiU considering it made no real use of the game pad in any meaningful way and every other major Nintendo game has been ported to the Switch. I imagine we’ll see a port of it sometime next year along with Pikmin 4 talk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you get a switch lite I'd recommend making it your accounts home, and have your normal docked switch be your guest account, since it will always be online.

Here's hoping they just do something like let you have one home account on each model revision.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is the Dragon Quest Builder multiplayer or is it just a single person story.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

No. 6 posted:

you can multiplayer on the sandbox/freebuild island but the story is single player

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No. 6 posted:

As you beat each chapter you unlock more stuff to build and bring it back to your base island that has mp so think of it as like animal crossing town visiting and once you are there you can do minecrafty stuff with your pal

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

SeANMcBAY posted:

No, it isn’t. Maybe you got confused by Toadette in the cat suit.

Ah, you're right. I was thinking the ears on this were eyes but it's just a green(?) cat suit.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Astro7x posted:

Started playing MUA3 with my almost 5 year old. I will say, she is loving being all the girl characters and fighting the bad guys. She is doing somewhat well and having a ton of fun. The boss fights are killing me though. The Sandman fight was so long, and we had to replay it because we lost the first time. Why are these boss fights so long? She was thrilled when we beat Sandman, but like... 20 minutes of mashing the A button on that gun just about killed my interest in the game. At least the next boss fight had a little bit of strategy to it and went much faster.

Sorry if someone already posted this, but you can just hold the button down whenever there are those mounted turrets.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I've been playing MUA3 and really enjoying it, but I can't quite nail down how many Shovel Knights it's really worth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MarcusSA posted:

Awesome I'm gonna have to switch that on and stop giving a gently caress that some dick wad died from some straight bullshit.

Or you can just play literally anything else like paint drywall

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

Ah, you're right. I was thinking the ears on this were eyes but it's just a green(?) cat suit.

its green because hes luigi...remove ur question mark

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is New Super Luigi U good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is New Super Luigi U good

It's the whole game but the levels are remixed to be shorter and harder. Every level starts with the "hurry up" music cue because the timer is so short, iirc. It's pretty dece.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah Pikmin is still coming, last we heard. Also I doubt they’ll let Pikmin 3 die with the WiiU considering it made no real use of the game pad in any meaningful way and every other major Nintendo game has been ported to the Switch. I imagine we’ll see a port of it sometime next year along with Pikmin 4 talk

Pikmin 3 made major use of the GamePad for coordinating your Captains.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

I can't unsee this and I want nothing more than to unsee this.

--

I have also decided to use my vouchers on Astral Chain and DQB2.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've put quite a bit of time into DQB2 (On the 3rd big island now) and I think my only complaints are that the tutorial is slower than it needs to be, and that the stuff that goes on between the second and third island drags like 50mins longer than it needs to. Almost a perfect game otherwise. Except maybe the fact that there's no transparency for buildings so if you build multiple stories you cant see into them at all outside first person mode, which kinda sucks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Real hurthling! posted:

That sucks rear end vs the primary/secondary model on other consoles. Some kids gonna catch a beating for holding up the family trip trying to wirelessly copy their switch onto their switch lite

All you really need to do is login to the second Switch and download the games you want, though. It takes as long as downloading the game after putting in your login info, plus negligible time to grab your cloud save if you want.

I think some DLC might be limited similar to how Steam sharing does it, though?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So using a Second Switch™ is as easy as setting it as secondary and then downloading all the games and save data from the cloud? Can you essentially save to the cloud on the secondary and redownload the updated save on the primary just to pick up and go?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wonderful 101 died for the sins of gamers so that astral chain could live

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OgMg4rauGdw

Get them vouchers ready, support one of the best indie devs in the business please

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Astral Chain looks cool but given Platinum's track record I dunno if it's going to be worth 60 dollars for a 4 hour game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It really depends if you want to spend hours mastering the systems and getting good ranks on the missions.

(Mastering Platinum systems is really really fun.)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Astral Chain looks cool but given Platinum's track record I dunno if it's going to be worth 60 dollars for a 4 hour game.

This one is being done by the designer of automata, so expect that 4 hours to at least tripled with the multiple paths you might have to take. But it's more looking like this will be the 'biggest' game they've done since w101 which was 15 hours+ in it's own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Also taking into account that it’s reliable to get $100 Eshop credit for $85 (ish) which makes it an even better deal.

Where oh where is this deal