Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Do you read food manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does Dungeon Meshi count?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Why is it that so many Japanese manga focus so heavily on food? Is it a cultural thing? A mandate from editors? Are the artists starved?

Probably taking cues from Japanese TV, of which like 2/3 of which is some sort of cooking or food-related program at any given time.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mordaedil posted:

Does Dungeon Meshi count?

Yes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
up to chapter 169 of the Moon-Led Journey WN(there's a new translator and they're great, and they seem to have been churning out chapters on the daily for the last half a year or so, so the translations are caught up!), it's certainly interesting for a lengthy isekai, least of any I've read so far, even if it's not perfect. The whole aspect of the world being run by an incredibly irresponsible goddess, who just literally snatches people of opportunity up like a goddamn UFO abducting someone but with jesus rays instead is amazing, I like this whole aspect of them being a spoiled, vain child who throws tantrums on a whim. Also the whole way she manipulated the god power of "Understand of All Beings" to punish Makoto at the beginning by slicing out a single language from it and thus making it not-god-exclusive, and then hosed up her own loophole later on nearly killing him with it, AND brought the wrath of other gods to her realm because of it is hilarious

Root is still an interesting character but certainly much more sinister and dangerous than initially portrayed, of course. Not sure how I feel about these extra bits where a defeated, should-be-dead character comes back in some manner only for another character to just viciously, mercilessly murder them while they're helpless, seems like it'd just be better writing to have them be killed by the final blow of the fight they lost instead. Like, the whole thing with Ilumgard and Mio was sadistic for the sake of it, though I guess that's to show she's real bad news and the only thing keeping her even remotely in check is Makoto. And the scene with Root and Sofia felt rather similar as well as exposition dump-ey, but leaves something open for her to come back in some form maybe if Root's just hauling her corpse around I guess.

Naturally almost none of this matters in regards to Makoto because he is maybe one of the most overpowered MCs in any isekai I can think of. While only being on chapter 169 of 297 currently released chapters, I can only assume this eventually ends with Asora becoming an entirely new, separate realm with Makoto as the creation god for it and maybe Tomoe etc becoming lesser gods for it. She already gave him a normally only godly ability of Understanding, and the way the other gods speak about it in 169 seems like they're nurturing him into becoming a fledgling god.

Sorry for the walls of black bars, been binging this the last few days and it's certainly interesting. With the new translator it's much faster too since I don't need to stop and recompile what the previous translator was trying to convey. But it was worth it imo, this is a pretty elaborate isekai. I really do like how the moment Makoto is shown to have some sort of leg up on everyone, every single nation immediately tries to corner the Makoto Market, so to speak, and he's just not interested at all and makes it extremely clear while also trying not to wreck his merchant ties with those nations. Also nice to see he's totally willing to have sex with his ladyfriend who has the hots for him when she requested it, even if it ended up with the typical backing out at the last second(by her), that was a nice change of pace instead of the eternally celibate MC. At this point there's not really anything revealed that can threaten him really, and yet it's still stayed interesting to me despite the clearly Saitama-level tensionless fights it's had with him involved. Mostly it's the cast surrounding him and how he works alongside them that's been the main draw.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 22, 2019

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Clarste posted:

Like a fool, I've jumped down the rabbit hole of Korean shoujo isekais and stumbled upon this nice subgenre of "fake fiances" where two people have to pretend to be lovers for pragmatic reasons, but because they're all nobles in vague feudal times it's a whole formal engagement and all the social and political repercussions of that. I can only assume this has been a shoujo staple for decades but whatever.
Thanks for this post, I was actually just reading This Girl is a Little Wild the other day so finding other similar stuff is welcome. I'd also toss in a recommendation for Survive as the Hero's Wife which is being translated by the same group as This Girl and has a similar theme.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Food good and tasty.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It honestly didn't bother me that much until I noticed it was everywhere, even in mangas that aren't food-focused.

And it's not exactly appetizing when you're reading on the shitter.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I do think Japan tends to be very proud of their food, so that might be why they put it in everything.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We have a food manga thread, sometimes we just like food and reading about it that's all

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776167

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

Probably taking cues from Japanese TV, of which like 2/3 of which is some sort of cooking or food-related program at any given time.

Reminds me of this J-drama I watched in high school called Lunch Queen - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_no_Jo%C5%8D

I remember it made a loving huge deal out of demiglace sauce.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

Like a fool, I've jumped down the rabbit hole of Korean shoujo isekais and stumbled upon this nice subgenre of "fake fiances" where two people have to pretend to be lovers for pragmatic reasons, but because they're all nobles in vague feudal times it's a whole formal engagement and all the social and political repercussions of that. I can only assume this has been a shoujo staple for decades but whatever.

just once i'd like to see the fake lovers/arranged marriage plotline where the fake/arranged lovers don't actually get together in the end

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's always low-end japanese food straight out of a mediocre family restaurant chain, because not even silly isekai stories think anyone outside of japan cares about high-end traditional japanese cuisine.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
please respect comfort food

also medieval peasants are going to appreciate big rear end portions of fatty greasy comfort food over fancier fare

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fancy traditional japanese cuisine is the result of immense technical skill and effort to produce something deceptively simple and bland. it's very strange.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Shinju no Nectar

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't mind titties, but the magical breast feeding is too weird for me.

why does this keep happening :negative:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

look if you absolutely must talk about the breastfeeding isekai please at least be upfront about the central element instead of dancing around it.

like I imagine that it's probably not the most welcome surprise for everyone.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

look if you absolutely must talk about the breastfeeding isekai please at least be upfront about the central element instead of dancing around it.

like I imagine that it's probably not the most welcome surprise for everyone.

...Which breastfeeding isekai?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

...Which breastfeeding isekai?

valid

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

sunken fleet posted:

Thanks for this post, I was actually just reading This Girl is a Little Wild the other day so finding other similar stuff is welcome. I'd also toss in a recommendation for Survive as the Hero's Wife which is being translated by the same group as This Girl and has a similar theme.

That's not a fake fiance, that's a real fiance who she can't believe might actually care about her.

Yinlock posted:

just once i'd like to see the fake lovers/arranged marriage plotline where the fake/arranged lovers don't actually get together in the end

What's the point then?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

anyway I'm closing this thread until it gets renamed the wholesome isekai thread
because seriously what the gently caress guys how is this so hard

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

we have a sister thread now so that's pretty neat

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
pretty name for a trash bin

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I apologize for poking fun but in my defense I can't help myself. Plus I figured it would be good for there to be a place for gross and bad isekai so that people wouldn't feel compelled to poo poo this thread up with em.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

sunken fleet posted:

I'd also toss in a recommendation for Survive as the Hero's Wife which is being translated by the same group as This Girl and has a similar theme.
I've been reading this one for a while but it's frustrating because the mc is so hung up on the events and personalities of the original timeline that she comes off as really dense, even when they drastically change she expects the same outcome.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jackard posted:

I've been reading this one for a while but it's frustrating because the mc is so hung up on the events and personalities of the original timeline that she comes off as really dense, even when they drastically change she expects the same outcome.

Yeah, she is completely hung up on the original story and is missing the bigger picture. But, to be fair, the husband hasn't really ever shown her any deep affection before, so I could see why she isn't able to believe that he might care about her as something more than a friend. He deserves equal fault in this fuckup.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
OP why art thou ashamed of supping on the finest tiddies

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Jackard posted:

Pretty sure Bakarina does the same thing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, Bakarina has a few excuses. First of all, she IS really dense.

And second of all, events do happen despite the completely different course things take.

kinks

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She ain't nicknamed Bakarina for nothing, y'know.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah in Bakarina it's pretty much The Joke. At this point in Hero's Wife it feels like the protagonist is being written out of character to create drama, which is frustrating to read.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, she just can't imagine that people would love her. That's how she's been all her life, so I don't see it as acting out of character.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

What's the point then?

making an actually interesting story?

arranged marriage plots are especially annoying since both characters always start off (rightfully) furious about being forced to marry against their will but then accept it at the end so I guess the moral is forcing your children into unwanted unions is actually good???

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yinlock posted:

making an actually interesting story?

arranged marriage plots are especially annoying since both characters always start off (rightfully) furious about being forced to marry against their will but then accept it at the end so I guess the moral is forcing your children into unwanted unions is actually good???

I wasn't talking about arranged marriages, I was talking about "fake engagements" where both people willingly enter into it with full knowledge that they have no plans to actually get married, arranged or otherwise. Actually, it's usually a way to avoid arranged marriages, by being able to point to your fake fiance as an excuse. Just a fancier version of the standard "fake lovers" plotline with more political intrigue.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

I wasn't talking about arranged marriages, I was talking about "fake engagements" where both people willingly enter into it with full knowledge that they have no plans to get married, arranged or otherwise. Just a fancier version of the standard "fake lovers" plotline with more political intrigue.

except there's no real intrigue because they get together anyway

that's my problem with the concept really

e: having two people who kinda hate each-other fake a relationship to accomplish separate goals while trying to undermine each-other is a pretty good concept, it just never ever sticks the landing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's political intrigue because people are trying to assassinate them or whatnot.

Yinlock posted:

e: having two people who kinda hate each-other fake a relationship to accomplish separate goals while trying to undermine each-other is a pretty good concept, it just never ever sticks the landing

They don't hate each other though, they're usually doing it because they're already comfortable with each other as friends (or at least one side is).

I think we're talking about completely different things.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 24, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

There's political intrigue because people are trying to assassinate them or whatnot.

They don't hate each other though, they're usually doing it because they're already comfortable with each other as friends (or at least one side is).

I think we're talking about completely different things.

yeah i'm not talking about a specific series, just the genre in general

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Elfface posted:

Well, Bakarina has a few excuses. First of all, she IS really dense.

And second of all, events do happen despite the completely different course things take.

kinks

You can't hotlink images from Mangadex, FYI. It might look like it works on your end because the images are in your cache but they won't show up for anyone else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In today’s This Time I Will Definitely Be Happy, revelations! Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new max level witch, in which a ghost with a questionable attitude joins the crew