Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Shigaraki is a very disturbed young man with severe PTSD from an abusive childhood with a severely traumatic event, a period of abandonment, and then an adoption by someone who cultivated his negative behaviors and surrounded him with extremely toxic people. Gentle will be the one to open Shigaraki's eyes to the possibility of something more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why can't there ever be a good villain with relatable motivations without ten thousand people climbing out of the woordwork to call him an uwu soft boi who did nothing wrong

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PMush Perfect posted:

Why can't there ever be a good villain with relatable motivations without ten thousand people climbing out of the woordwork to call him an uwu soft boi who did nothing wrong

Give anyone a tragic enough backstory and you'll find people willing to absolve them of any action they ever take.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

:goonsay: actually Shigaraki is more heroic than Deku and here is my thesis.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nana's whole speech about saving people's hearts will definitely come back.

The thing is that as Shigaraki is right now, I kinda think that even if it turned out that AFO was responsible for activating his quirk and causing his family to die- I don't think he'd give a poo poo if AFO himself told him so.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nana's sort of looking like a complete gormless fuckup right now so it's going to take a bit of work before her advice actually means anything to anyone again

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

nana's sort of looking like a complete gormless fuckup right now so it's going to take a bit of work before her advice actually means anything to anyone again

For sure. She didn't foster or inspire All Might or whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

For sure. She didn't foster or inspire All Might or whatever.

he's a fuckup, too!

couldn't even punch a guy's head off all the way

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nana had the same hangup that All Might did about being a martyr. Another thing Midoriya will probably do a better job about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It didn't help matters that Nana's husband died from most likely All for One causes.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Roland Jones posted:

memes about Sasuke the cool guy or whatever.

Oh, "the coolest guy" wasn't Sasuke. It was Obito/Tobi, the guy that rolled up and killed Naruto's parents while he was being born. The literal cause of all of his childhood problems. The coolest guy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's fine, this will be easily solved once Deku unlocks his final Quirk and becomes the greatest Hero by making every Villain return to society and become good guys through some good shonen friendship.

The quirk? Brainwashing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's fine, this will be easily solved once Deku unlocks his final Quirk and becomes the greatest Hero by making every Villain return to society and become good guys through some good shonen friendship.

The quirk? Brainwashing.

Shinso: Am I a joke to you?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
When you think about it, My Hero Academia is a series about bad parenting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Seriously I can't believe there are people who missed the point of "Shigaraki: Origin" harder than here.

The point of Origin was that Shigaraki wasn't redeemable it established knowing Nana was a hero, to cut that route, it routinely showed us his 'itching feeling' a feeling which only went away once he made deliberate efforts to kill his father, something he admits that not only did he do it consciously, but that he enjoyed doing it.

Gran Torino said it plainly and bluntly: He is a Villain, a murderer with no remorse who he was and what his circumstances are do nothing to erase his crimes. Crimes he gleefully participates in. Do Not Forget that at the very start of the series when we first see Shigaraki, he tries to pull the "Well who's REALLY the villains" on All Might, who immediately calls it out for what it is, a justification to murder that not even Shigaraki believes, which he immediately confirms. He doesn't believe it. He doesn't believe Society is corrupt and needs to be torn down to build a better one. He just wants to destroy, because it feels good. Because deep down, even if he had a perfect childhood, he was a killer, and he wasn't satisfied and didn't find himself until he killed.

There are plenty of villains who are people society let down, or who took a bad turn. Spinner and Twice in this very arc are perfect examples of it. Shigaraki is not that. He's an unrepentant killer to whom death and destruction is joy. He is a sociopath.

I'll eat plenty of crow if I'm wrong, but I cannot see redemption for him. I thought it was pretty drat obvious the entire point of his "Origin" was to show how murder felt right to him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not sure that Tenko taking joy in killing the man who beat and berated him necessarily makes him a sociopath -- though obviously Shigaraki is one now. The itching is explicitly shown and told to be a reaction to living in an abusive household, not a murderous impulse.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

When you think about it, My Hero Academia is a series about bad parenting.

And a society that is deeply in love with comic books, to the point where its more important that there is always bad people to fight and keep the story going than to actually heal and progress society into a better place.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This discussion on how All For One manipulated Shigaraki reminds me of what happened in the show Legion. There are loads of differences, but the main thing is that the big bad absolutely manipulated the main character into becoming a broken person that willingly does bad things, like murder and mind manipulation, sometimes gleefully.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Since the magnitude of Shikaraki’s Quirk seems to be based on intent (he saw a group of people as one thing, and his Quirk spread to everyone he targeted; he can target everything and just touch the ground) I wonder if a more normal person with that Quirk and more control could do something like carve out a statue with a touch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

No one said that.

Rudoku posted:

Oh, "the coolest guy" wasn't Sasuke. It was Obito/Tobi, the guy that rolled up and killed Naruto's parents while he was being born. The literal cause of all of his childhood problems. The coolest guy.

Ahaha, wow, that's even worse. What the hell, at least it was kind of understandable, if dumb, for Sasuke, but that doesn't make any sense.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Does someone have that "coolest guy" image because it's funny

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

Does someone have that "coolest guy" image because it's funny

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Ahaha, wow, that's even worse. What the hell, at least it was kind of understandable, if dumb, for Sasuke, but that doesn't make any sense.

The end of Naruto got hilariously and insultingly dumb enough that even though it was what got me into Anime in the first place I dropped it before it finished.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Anytime i have a bad day I look at this image and go at least i didnt do this dumbest loving poo poo like this. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

The end of Naruto got hilariously and insultingly dumb enough that even though it was what got me into Anime in the first place I dropped it before it finished.

"i can't think of a way to defeat my ultimate badguy after six months of chapters, so i'll have him be instantly defeated by a hitherto-unmentioned female badguy and still won't let her talk" was something special

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah, Bleach/Naruto/One Piece being referred to as the big three mostly felt like an insult to One Piece from what I've heard about Bleach.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah, Bleach/Naruto/One Piece being referred to as the big three mostly felt like an insult to One Piece from what I've heard about Bleach.

From what I remember, Bleach peaked early on and just kind of got progressively worse from there (the anime ended before the manga did and I still think it went on too long). The live action movie was alright though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bleach peaked (and started) as a half-assed ripoff of yu yu hakusho and turned into something transcendentally terrible by the end

imagine spending years of chapters on a villain whose power turned out to be as follows: he says "i win," and then he wins. that's literally it

this kept going until his editors forced him to stop

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bleach was never actually good, but early Bleach was less bad that everything after Aizen shows up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Naruto had every opportunity to kill off Itachi and just made him stand up completely unscathed every time for absolutely no reason. It was a problem entirely of the writer's own creation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Naruto had every opportunity to kill off Itachi and just made him stand up completely unscathed every time for absolutely no reason. It was a problem entirely of the writer's own creation.

You mean Madara, Itachi was Sasuke’s brother and basically the only good Uchiha aside from maybe Sarada from the current series.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, yeah, you're right. I've largely forgotten Naruto at this point; I actually enjoyed it just fine until he released the Nine Tails, but boy did it just fly off the handle immediately afterwards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, the sequel series Boruto has been alright so far though (as far as the anime goes at least) but I agree the original did go off the rails after a while. It never turned into quite as much of a train wreck as Bleach did at least.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Madara Beats Up An Army was the best chapter of the manga

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Bleach was never actually good, but early Bleach was less bad that everything after Aizen shows up.

Soul Society arc is legitimately good. Same with early Karakuri town, the series was still fairly generic but I don't get how people retroactively dunk on the series because it took a nosedive off the quality cliff once we went to mexico. And even then the fights were still interesting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the really early stuff back when bleach had a personality was pretty good. it got progressively worse over time until we got to the awful finale

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Early Bleach was, if nothing else, pretty as hell to look at. Kubo had style.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ugh, yeah, you're right. I've largely forgotten Naruto at this point; I actually enjoyed it just fine until he released the Nine Tails, but boy did it just fly off the handle immediately afterwards.

tbf what you wrote applies to itachi as well. dude came back from death as an unlimited chakra zombie slave, broke free of the restraints, and only 'died' again after ultimate mindfucking kabuto into ending the summoning jutsu.

itachi was a god.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Shigaraki has already been redeemed by starting his own family of friendship and murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you melt a dog then you're irredeemable that's just anime law