Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Vomik posted:

with powershell core you can bring the modern shell to the Linux server

this except unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

......what did you figure the point of powershell was? locally listing your files over and over?

well I thought it was to wedge .net into everything

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

well I thought it was to wedge .net into everything

having a C# compiler in your shell is pretty cool tho

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this except unironically
Seriously, powershell is so much better than bash I actually end up using it a bunch for small shell scripting type stuff on linux.

It still has a lot of warts and I kind of feel ambivalent about it, though. If it just used quotes like normal programming languages and it was statically typed with row polymorphism or something and didn't automatically flatten nested lists in pipelines it would have been perfect.

In any case you probably shouldn't use a shell scripting language for anything that's more than like 5 lines though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
powershell isn't good. it's just far better than all the alternatives.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Pardot posted:

not being able to ssh in to a remote computer is dumb as hell

infernal machines posted:

powershell and winrm are a thing and the intended method of administering remote windows servers since like 10 years ago

the russians just used telnet/ftp

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 27, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it helps if you remember an earlier incarnation of this thread that had a week long meltdown over the fact that an intel iot dev board didn't ship with ssh but let you enable telnet in debug mode

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nt stands for No Thanks

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can use PowerShell over ssh, too.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I fought with Windows Server a lot, guess it somehow sucks just as bad as Linux. At least Debian idles at like 80 megs of RAM.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rear end posted:

I fought with Windows Server a lot, guess it somehow sucks just as bad as Linux. At least Debian idles at like 80 megs of RAM.

This is the saving grace of linux on the server: it's not bundled with tonnes of weird poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rear end posted:

with a web server and all? thats custom embedded linux like so thats pretty good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

This is the saving grace of linux on the server: it's not bundled with tonnes of weird poo poo
Doesn't Windows Server Core have very little installed by default now?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i blessedly don't remember the details of these numbers, but i am pretty sure you're comparing apples and oranges. the windows number counts a lot more wacky caches and similar. but no question that a simple linux system will come in way lighter.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mystes posted:

a day late and a dollar short

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mystes posted:

yeah, they never really made good on their hot-patching promises though and most people don't bother because they don't think its worth the effort

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a real server os for serious business

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

needs more candy crush for breaks between serving

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

...from seven years ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

yes, but unless you want to gently caress with powershell or have domain infrastructure in place it will continue to have very little installed. presumably op tried to install the fat version with the desktop experience role or something.

tbf, for what they were doing, linux was actually the right answer

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

pram posted:

looks like a road to some great touch screen driven wizards for server janitors to use, op

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

hobbesmaster posted:

with a web server and all? thats custom embedded linux like so thats pretty good

Yep, with nginx, dovecot and postfix running.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SuperDepressin/status/1148303504798339073

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/shipilev/status/1149679913974280193

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/maryjofoley/status/1151181921789120514?s=20

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

holy poo poo the osx outlook update finally added support for dark mode in the preview/reader panes

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Dark mode is the best.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Lambert posted:

Dark mode is the best.

it’s a great mode. but it’s not the greatest - reserved for flip mode

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Vomik posted:

it’s a great mode. but it’s not the greatest - reserved for fips mode

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol we just got some o365 update and now all the
icons are this flat outline garbage, "to improve accessibility" lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, you're on the semi-annual channel

that turd got pushed out to the monthly channel in may or so. they also hosed up the layout of the reply/forward interface in the preview window, because who doesn't love more useless white space?

(signed)

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP? I have to admit I've enjoyed a lot of the recent Windows 10 updates because lord knows it was a steaming pile of poo poo on release. Now that they're letting Win32 stuff in their store I don't know whether they're sticking to their lovely crippled API or just going back to Win32. The current mishmash control panel is an abomination. Somehow I was unable to find any relevant articles online about this either.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

rear end posted:

So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP?

in short: :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's dead, Jim.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are Dell Precision workstations (in this case the 3630) still good or are they dogshit garbage?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rear end posted:

So what's Microsoft's final consensus on UWP? I have to admit I've enjoyed a lot of the recent Windows 10 updates because lord knows it was a steaming pile of poo poo on release. Now that they're letting Win32 stuff in their store I don't know whether they're sticking to their lovely crippled API or just going back to Win32. The current mishmash control panel is an abomination. Somehow I was unable to find any relevant articles online about this either.

cloud first, mobile first

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

cloud first, mobile first

All in One, Xbox One.

Beta tested in the future.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Are Dell Precision workstations (in this case the 3630) still good or are they dogshit garbage?

anything running Windows is a pos, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

that's obviously going to depend on what hardware you actually get in it, because you can buy them with an i3, 4gb of ram, and a 5400rpm drive if you want to. but assuming you don't get the joke configurations, yeah they're decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

anything running Windows is a pos, op

You meant to write "mac os".