Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

colachute posted:

Yeah. And they let you trade the phone in every year or two (depending on how much you want to pay every month). It’s not a horrible system I just think it’s a little dishonest to say there’s no contracts.

I think we are thinking of two different things.

The 0% loan pay it off and you can leave kind that they do now (according to you, cause I have no idea how things are now), which is no different than what your credit card does (except that's not 0%) and is also what a lot of European phone companies do as well. I don't see this as a contract except out of a technicality.

The contracts I'm referring to are the ones from before where you signed a two year contract, got a "free" phone, but had to pay a massive fee if you wanted to leave early. Also, that phone was a useless plastic paperweight because you couldn't take it to another phone company because of reasons.

Besides, the $40 T-Mobile plan I mentioned is explicitly no contract because it’s a prepaid plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think we are thinking of two different things.

The 0% loan pay it off and you can leave kind that they do now, which is no different than what your credit card does (except that's not 0%) and is also what a lot of European phone companies do as well. I don't see this as a contract except out of a technicality.

The contracts I'm referring to are the ones from before where you signed a two year contract, got a "free" phone, but had to pay a massive fee if you wanted to leave early. Also, that phone was a useless plastic paperweight because you couldn't take it to another phone company because of reasons.

Besides, the $40 T-Mobile plan I mentioned is explicitly no contract because it’s a prepaid plan.

Yeah the two year contracts are history. Now it’s all leasing the phone at 0% for 1-2 years. You pay a bit more and you can trade your phone sooner rather than later.

I just consider it a contract because you can’t just walk away from it no questions asked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Xfinity Mobile plans are really awesome if you're a Comcast customer and plan to be one (you need to pay an extra fee if you leave their cable service). $45 for unlimited or $12 per GB, no extra fees. A watch is an extra $10 a month.

I am curious how good of an offer Visible is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

colachute posted:

Yeah the two year contracts are history. Now it’s all leasing the phone at 0% for 1-2 years. You pay a bit more and you can trade your phone sooner rather than later.

I just consider it a contract because you can’t just walk away from it no questions asked.

But it's not a lease. It's a 2 year loan at 0% interest. That's a big difference. With a lease you never own the phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

colachute posted:

If you buy the phone outright instead of on a payment plan, or if you buy it on a payment plan but pay it off early, then yes, you can walk away no questions asked.

There are no locked-in contracts anymore.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

FCKGW posted:

If you buy the phone outright instead of on a payment plan, or if you buy it on a payment plan but pay it off early, then yes, you can walk away no questions asked.

There are no locked-in contracts anymore.

What if you still owe money on the phone? Are you locked in to paying for it?

I bought my phone outright because I want to be able to walk away from AT&T at any time — I wouldn’t be able to do that had I not because....

This is a dumb detail argument over semantics. I was wrong I’m dumb carry on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

colachute posted:

What if you still owe money on the phone? Are you locked in to paying for it?

I bought my phone outright because I want to be able to walk away from AT&T at any time — I wouldn’t be able to do that had I not because....

Of course you are. As said, you are financing the phone, not leasing.

It's the same kind of thing when you buy a car or use a credit card. You can't just walk away and go "oh well, I don't feel like paying this anymore"

e: I replied before your edit.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

Of course you are. As said, you are financing the phone, not leasing.

It's the same kind of thing when you buy a car or use a credit card. You can't just walk away and go "oh well, I don't feel like paying this anymore"

Ok. Sorry I got a word wrong.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
E: replied too late and what I said was already said so never mind

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 16, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Apple's leasing thing is generally better than the carriers, unless they give you $300 off or something. If nothing else, you don't have to fight an AT&T call center for upgrades, repairs or replacements

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao why the gently caress do people still have ATT in 2019

I mean unless it’s free through work. Verizon is the overpriced “it’s the only coverage I can get out here in the suburbs” option, but at least they have better coverage

$15?? I’m glad t-mobile is still $10. I tried it out for free. It’s cool as an option, but only worth about $5 to me. Plus I had a lot of inconsistencies with receiving text messages, which has probably gotten fixed. If Spotify had an app that allowed streaming I’d maybe consider it. poo poo we cannot even load Spotify playlists yet can we? Lame. Well, at least there’s an app—so that’s a start

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The streaming music app api is coming out with this version of watch OS so presumably Spotify will be able to do that in the fall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean unless it’s free through work. Verizon is the overpriced “it’s the only coverage I can get out here in the suburbs” option, but at least they have better coverage
I have Verizon because last time I used T-Mobile consistently it was dogshit around here, but last year I got a Fi SIM and popped it in my old iPhone 6S and played around with it and it was consistently faster and better signal than Verizon, so I'm going to switch in the fall when my X is paid off (I'm undecided if I will get a new phone, though, since this works great and it's a refurb I got a few months ago due to an expanding battery in my launch one).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Dave posted:

The streaming music app api is coming out with this version of watch OS so presumably Spotify will be able to do that in the fall.

I feel like even then Spotify will complain and say Apple isn't playing fair or whatever.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah, with my family's work discount ATT is $20 cheaper per month than t-mobile, has generally better coverage in my area, and with rollover I typically have about 16 gigs of data at any point that I never use because my life is covered by wifi. I do very much respect what t-mobile does now, and might actually look into switching since they say they'll match discounts.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Just wanna say I think the passive aggressive messages telling me to stop being lazy and take a brisk walk are probably the best feature.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m currently on a 108-109 days move streak and it’s a loving dread getting to the end of a day full of meetings with only half the move bar filled, forcing me to go out on a run or something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I love the little "YOU CAN DO IT! Take a brisk 45-minute walk to close your ring" message after I've run 10 miles and have filled 1,400 of 1,800 kcal.

Does the Move goal just increase whenever you hit it on all days of any given week a couple times in a row? Because that's gonna get out of hand fast.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zwille posted:

Does the Move goal just increase whenever you hit it on all days of any given week a couple times in a row? Because that's gonna get out of hand fast.

I don’t know about automatic but Monday morning I get a weekly move summary and it then suggest my daily move goal for the week. If I have a particularly active week It’ll bump it up a bit but i still have control of setting it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Bumping up my move goal is like tattooing your girlfriend’s name on you: you just guaranteed failure.

I just leave it at 500 and I regularly hit 1200 or so. But if I move it up then something dumb will happen like I’ll get a cold or forget to wear it while I workout or something.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Getting my Lab mix has increased my move goal from 600 calories to over 1210 and I love it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Getting my Lab mix has increased my move goal from 600 calories to over 1210 and I love it.

Congratulations on your next month’s challenge ring to burn an average of 4000 calories a day.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My old job had me moving around, so my goal was 720. I actually exceed that most days, but I imagine being a lazy slug on most of my days off is why it never went any higher.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

Yeah if you hit it all 7 days in a row it should ask you to bump it up the next week and yes it gets out of control quick.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can just say no.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah except I gotta get used to the thought that that’s not cheating. I’ll put it back to 500 and rake in that 400% goal finally :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zwille posted:

Yeah except I gotta get used to the thought that that’s not cheating. I’ll put it back to 500 and rake in that 400% goal finally :v:

Yeah the move goal and monthly calorie goals get to be real bullshit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Whenever I want to increment my move goal I just increment it by 10/day until I get to to where I want it. Gotta get those New Move Goal medals.

Real post: is “indoor walk” walking on a treadmill or is it just walking around indoors possibly without gps?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 19, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Whenever I want to increment my move goal I just increment it by 10/day until I get to to where I want it. Gotta get those New Move Goal medals.

Real post: is “indoor walk” walking on a treadmill or is it just walking around indoors possibly without gps?

I always thought it was something like mall walking. A lot of them have walking routes these days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I assumed it was a treadmill walk but really it could be either.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Speaking of fitness and poo poo, what's the best calorie and food tracker for watchOS that isn't myfitnesspal anyway?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Happy ECG day, Canada.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

decypher posted:

Speaking of fitness and poo poo, what's the best calorie and food tracker for watchOS that isn't myfitnesspal anyway?
Lose It! is garbage as a complication. poo poo, sometimes even going into the watch app don’t sync it up with the phone.

And if your watch is too old it may not even work. On a series 1 sometimes it just wouldn’t load.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Honestly a lot of the complications that I’ve tried that’s supposed to be dynamic are all pretty awful in the sense that they just don’t get updated regularly as I’d expect them to. It’s made things like Carrot totally useless compared to the native Weather complication because when I look at my wrist for the weather there’s just never any scenario where seeing what the weather was like 2 hours ago is acceptable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All 3rd party complications have been pretty poo poo I’ve found. I really hope watchOS 6 improves that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Aren‘t up-to-date complications a paid feature with Carrot? Glad I didn’t shell out for that then.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zwille posted:

Aren‘t up-to-date complications a paid feature with Carrot? Glad I didn’t shell out for that then.

In their defense, the issue seems to be coming from Apple/watchOS and not because of bad/lazy programming on the app developer's end. Here's a one year old reddit post that explains it a bit:

quote:

In order to maximize battery life, each complication is given a ''time budget'' for calculations and updates by WatchOS. Once an app's time budget is exhausted, the app doesn't get notified, the complication will just not update for increasing periods of time.

This is why continuously updating complications like pedometers and heart rate displays tend to sometimes seem 15 minutes or a half hour behind. (The actual built-in heart rate complication is exempt from the rules.)

There is also a hard limit of 50 complication updates a day for updates that are driven from an iPhone app.

The person also posts this documentation link but Apple's documentation site is god drat awful and nothing actually works. They update their documentation and then remove old ones and don't give you a link to archived documentation which could be useful but oh well.

Anyway, that 50 updates/day limit seems way too low to me. Even if you account for 8 hours of sleep that still works out to about a budget of 1 update every 20 minutes if you wanna ensure your complication updates for a normal full day.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 23, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have the MLB At Bat complication turned on. I'll have to keep an eye on It later today and see how often/fast it updates.

As the Watch becomes less dependent on the iPhone to function, I would imagine this issue would slowly go away.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

decypher posted:

they're all poo poo in identical ways, basically just complications that say "you have X calories left". There used to be one that would let you add food items via siri but they pulled the functionality out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have the MLB At Bat complication turned on. I'll have to keep an eye on It later today and see how often/fast it updates.

As the Watch becomes less dependent on the iPhone to function, I would imagine this issue would slowly go away.
I think there’s something new with watchOS 6 complications but I couldn’t figure out what exactly. Whatever the case you probably won’t be seeing any changes with third party apps until after release.