Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Remote to me was a reaction to a near mental breakdown taking a job in an extremely open office. If the commute wasn’t bad, the work was interesting (not likely in this area), and I got an office / shared office I’d probably go back but everyone has gone full open office in the last 5-10 and I literally cannot do that without medication so remote it is.

Also if I lived in California, NYC, etc. maybe the options would be different but remote opportunities in general are vastly more rewarding and interesting work. My current remote gig is by no means perfect but I’ve learned more in the last year than I had in the last 10 working local jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And that engineer's name, was Albert Einstein

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm the employee more concerned with the semantics of titles over actually getting poo poo done.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

poemdexter posted:

I'm the employee more concerned with the semantics of titles over actually getting poo poo done.

The company culture is rubbish and everything I cook up isn't sustainable, but at least I get poo poo done!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

"We are fully devops! The team you will be part of has a frontend engineer, a backend engineer, a tester, a scrummaster, an ops engineer and a product owner."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I prob told this before in this thread, but I will never be able to forget the manager at my previous job referring to our frontend engineers as "frontenters" with a t. (Yes yes Sheldon it has two t's I know)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I love having conversations with the PM for a year-overdue project where they ask for something to be changed, I ask that the request be made in writing, they say, "Well I don't know how all this stuff is supposed to work!" and eventually agree not to change anything because we're so far behind. Really M'ing this P.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hollow Talk posted:

The company culture is rubbish and everything I cook up isn't sustainable, but at least I get poo poo done!

Same. Last Friday, I got to listen to two product owners argue if something was a tactical solution or a strategic solution. Most meetings are 20% discussion and 80% how do we properly put this in JIRA.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm more of a backenter myself

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I do mostly frontentering but am not sure if my boss would be cool with me backentering

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sprint planning meeting today, and 2 engineers had tickets that didn't get done during the sprint because higher priority stuff came up.

Manager is like "so what went wrong with these tickets? You guys committed to get the work done but didn't"

Several of us are like "that's how agile works, nothing went wrong"

This is after *years* of being "agile". She (and managers from other departments) are still obsessed with commitment. You put a thing on a sprint = you must do it... but somehow they also want the higher priority stuff to get done too. I don't even

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
When managers are even talking with you about tickets it's already a failure.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Normally the n+2 boss calls in while the n+1 is there chipping in her 2 cents like this time. It's the dumbest.

I firmly believe in the "people over process" thing. We don't have POs and I'm fine with that. I was more agile on my own, doing my own thing, before anyone uttered the words agile here.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Remind them that this attitude leads to escalation fairly quickly. If they want sprint commitments to be completed in all cases, they will soon find that all tasks in the sprint are relatively small pieces of larger stories, or research and investigation tasks. If they want to reprioritize items during the sprint, then they must choose items to remove of equal value. ("Completion percentage" is just another metric, and we know what happens when you chase metrics.)

Choice 1: Why are all these tasks "Determine method to do X?" (Answer: Because there's a 70% chance you'll steal 40% of our time, and this gives us sufficient buffer to still reach completion for a slightly relaxed definition of "done".)

Choice 2: I want this prioritized, how many points? Seven? And we're halfway through a 15pt/person sprint, so Johnny I'm going to need you to drop Eggbox and we'll have to restart it next time. Please take the remaining time on Eggbox and add 1pt since we're wasting time to "task switching" by punting.

Sadly this requires more than one person not :saddowns:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Good points there.

I think something that contributes to a lot of the commitment vs flexibility problem is that my boss has like 12 direct reports. She's got so many irons in the fire that she cannot and will not oversee all of the priority changes that happen every single day. Each of us is pretty well in our own little silo without a lot of collaboration on what we do, so we feel like we can make the best call anyway.

On a smaller team, she would probably be much more effective and her role could be more accurately described as a PO. As it is now, she's just someone who gets mad about stuff way after it's already happened.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Sprint planning meeting today, and 2 engineers had tickets that didn't get done during the sprint because higher priority stuff came up.

Manager is like "so what went wrong with these tickets? You guys committed to get the work done but didn't"

Several of us are like "that's how agile works, nothing went wrong"

This is after *years* of being "agile". She (and managers from other departments) are still obsessed with commitment. You put a thing on a sprint = you must do it... but somehow they also want the higher priority stuff to get done too. I don't even

The commitment obsession is reasonable in a vacuum. There's supposed to be a deal: you commit to a certain amount of work in a sprint. That way, project leadership can plan around things like dependencies for other teams. Project leadership gets to work with you to set another chunk of commitments at the next sprint boundary. That way, you don't get blindsided with more work than you can realistically handle.

So: Take on what you think you can reasonably finish in a sprint, minus some padding. When they come in with a higher-priority item and demand you pick it up in the middle of the sprint, point out that getting it done before everything else is a commitment as well, and ask them what prior commitments they're OK with dropping to make it happen. Don't take "you just have to get everything done" for an answer, and make sure that things are documented in writing somewhere, even if it's just a "per our last conversation I am doing X" email. Make sure your coworkers are on board before this discussion happens.

Xik posted:

When managers are even talking with you about tickets it's already a failure.

🤷🏻‍♂️ Ticket = story in some places thanks to badly configured Jira setups.

I assume that a dev shop isn't getting "change my email password" tickets. If they are then there are much deeper problems than agile methodology.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
You should write a modern, angry version called the Little Princess. Your manager plays the role of Queen of the Universe. "I command the universe and it doesn't listen :supaburn:"

Our thing right now is making the switch to Kanban, people thinking it's still scrum, meanwhile pushing to get rid of the ~3hr/3wk scrum meetings, and wanting to do it all today. I'm not running either scrum or kanban here, but it sure seems like we need the meetings to discuss priority and to deal with the backlog grooming. Moreover we still need a retro to review process issues, and we should probably try it for a few cycles before we make radical changes. In any case, we have the rooms reserved; no need to cancel those meetings yet.

Where we're wasting time is sitting in a room to discuss "priority", and instead of discussing the goals (or "stories" if you must), we spend 80% of the time listening to a few people argue over the complexity, related problems, effort, or solutions. When each task takes 5min to prioritize, we're not going to get through our 500 item backlog now are we?

(Sorry I didn't mean to be so analytical up there. Your manager is dumm and should feel bad and we should make fun of her.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

We recently got together to make the rules for SAFe Program Increments clearer. In case you don't know, SAFe is the opposite to agile and a manager's dream because it gives a false sense of security. PIs are periods of 4-5 sprints you plan company-wide ahead of time. You roughly plan on feature level instead of story level, for that you still got individual sprint planning sessions (which are much shorter than in a company without PI, it has to be said).

Anyway, the new rules:
- We get rid of the Scrum term "intangible work" and "leaving space for intangibles in the sprint" because that gave some of our people a false idea of there being "space" that can be filled ahead of time. Instead we say every sprint stuff comes up that is unplannable and we need to take that into consideration.

- When management disagrees with the outcome of the PI planning event, they only can ask to switch out stuff for other stuff of the same complexity/amount of work, they cannot ask anymore to cram even more into the planning.

Honestly it seems to work so far, at least better than it did before we had these explicit rules.

Note that there is actual unplannable work, it's not just something used to explain sudden shifting priorities. Our dev teams do most of the ops stuff too and incidents happen when they happen and need to be resolved quickly no matter what.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
We prioritise projects first (hello multi-project environment), then an intermediary (it's me...) talks to the project leads and then to management and this is what is supposed to generate global priorities.

This system was introduced because we always had too much stuff in our sprints, and only ever added things. Clearly, the solution is to not call it sprints anymore, and let everybody decide themselves, then try and throw it all together!

Also, sales and management just throw in new stuff from the sidelines regardless, of course.

:saddowns:

I'm curious how this company will develop, and if it will survive when I inevitably give up and move on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
There's always going to be unplannable work. You don't know what you're doing until you're deep in the weeds. I like the metaphor of the hill that Ryan Singer uses in Shape Up.

The trick is to give engineering teams a broad enough mandate to solve a business problem that they can solve the important parts first, get the unknown unknowns out of the way, build features vertically, and trim scope intelligently when it becomes apparent that the sprint will not meet 100% of its aspirational goals. Not doing that is not doing Agile. I wish people would stop pretending there was a way to reduce unpredictability and risk through process and structure. That uncertainty is something that's not just fundamental to the engineering work, but desirable because that risk is what keeps scope from exploding within a sprint.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Carbon dioxide posted:

- We get rid of the Scrum term "intangible work" and "leaving space for intangibles in the sprint" because that gave some of our people a false idea of there being "space" that can be filled ahead of time.
"I love a vacuum, it gives me so much room to breath!"
:psyduck:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

There's always going to be unplannable work. You don't know what you're doing until you're deep in the weeds. I like the metaphor of the hill that Ryan Singer uses in Shape Up.

The trick is to give engineering teams a broad enough mandate to solve a business problem that they can solve the important parts first, get the unknown unknowns out of the way, build features vertically, and trim scope intelligently when it becomes apparent that the sprint will not meet 100% of its aspirational goals. Not doing that is not doing Agile. I wish people would stop pretending there was a way to reduce unpredictability and risk through process and structure. That uncertainty is something that's not just fundamental to the engineering work, but desirable because that risk is what keeps scope from exploding within a sprint.

Agreed 100%.

At this company, there are a lot of serial dependencies (Group A is going to implement something that Group B needs). Management here spends an enormous amount of time yelling at engineers to 1) "Get better at estimating" and 2) "Deliver, deliver, deliver" so that the knock-on effects of one group being late don't impact all the groups down the line.

I'm just a peon, I have no ability to change this culture... but I think a few things could really help. 1) They need to be focusing on the burn down (rather than a set-in-stone, drop-dead date as it seems they are now), and continually updating the projection of when something might be completed. 2) Attach a probability or confidence level to the projected completion date, and communicate that to any stakeholders down the line. 3) Let engineers develop expertise within a few subsystems, rather than continually dumping them into new areas they've never touched before, and then acting shocked when stuff isn't getting done as quickly as hoped for.

* A lot of the above chaos happens outside my group. There's no way I would still be here if I was subjected to all of that continually.

Space Gopher posted:

Ticket = story in some places thanks to badly configured Jira setups.

Yep, that's how ours is configured.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 23, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

At this company, there are a lot of serial dependencies (Group A is going to implement something that Group B needs). Management here spends an enormous amount of time yelling at engineers to 1) "Get better at estimating" and 2) "Deliver, deliver, deliver" so that the knock-on effects of one group being late don't impact all the groups down the line.

I'm just a peon, I have no ability to change this culture...

Don't just accept this.

You're a developer. It's your job to write code. It's perfectly reasonable for management to ask you to write code. Bugs happen, but you fix them, learn from them, and make sure they don't happen again. Someone who writes similar bugs over and over needs coaching to make them a better dev.

They're your manager. It's their job to prioritize things. It's perfectly reasonable for you to ask management to prioritize things. Missed priorities happen, but they should fix them, learn from them, and make sure they don't happen again. Someone who consistently mis-plans work in the same way over and over again needs coaching to make them a better manager.

If they come crashing into your sprint and demand you work on something that vaults from the bottom of the backlog to "ASAP", ask them what they're OK dropping out of the sprint to allow you to meet all your commitments. Make sure they understand that you're not telling them it won't get done, just that you can't promise that it will get done because they've changed your commitments.

They might tell you that you have to get absolutely everything done, including the new unplanned work, no exceptions. If they do that, then in the next sprint planning, tell them you'll need a big story to track unplanned work. Here's the critical part for getting that to work: have one-on-one side conversations with the people you work with until you're sure most people are on board. Don't be afraid to be a lobbyist and line up your support. If the entire team says "this is a problem," the PM should listen and take that into account, just like they would for a story point estimate or T-shirt size.

There's a possibility they'll continue to provide project plans that are totally out of sync with reality. If that happens, then you genuinely can't fix the problem and need to look for a new job. But don't write off changing culture until you see it happen.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

brb gonna change the culture of a company with 50,000 employees spread across the globe

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Be a Viking and berserker it if you have to. Valhalla awaits.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Pollyanna posted:

Be a Viking and berserker it if you have to. Valhalla awaits.

The modern Viking way is not to make any decisions until everyone is 100% on board. It involves a lot of meetings.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

brb gonna change the culture of a company with 50,000 employees spread across the globe

Globe's got 7.5 billion people on it, might as well not try to change anything ever.

The overall company culture isn't going to dictate how every dev team operates. It should be possible to change the space you're operating in. If not, you need to find a new job.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Working in Development: Good companies aren't hiring

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Globe's got 7.5 billion people on it, might as well not try to change anything ever.

The overall company culture isn't going to dictate how every dev team operates. It should be possible to change the space you're operating in. If not, you need to find a new job.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Can't you just try making positive change in your immediate team? If it works it will make your job better, who really cares about the other 50k people.

I get some huge things will be out of scope because you don't have the power, but who knows, if things are good for you and other teams notice they might just try to push for the same changes.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You guys missed a key important thing that I wrote

* A lot of the above chaos happens outside my group. There's no way I would still be here if I was subjected to all of that continually.

And appear to be filling in the blanks with things you think are happening, like this:

Xik posted:

Can't you just try making positive change in your immediate team?

Or this:

Space Gopher posted:

The dysfunction that exists in my team is due to us having a ding-dong manager. The other dysfunction that I described happens in other teams, I rarely if ever see it in person and usually only hear about it, and thus have no influence over it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:hmmyes:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My favorite thing about people asking me questions at work is the weird illusion that I actually know the answer, and I didn't just type your question into google and ask if you tried the first result on stackoverflow.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I will forever maintain that IT/SD is just knowing how to google better than everyone you work with

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

ChickenWing posted:

I will forever maintain that IT/SD is just knowing how to google better than everyone you work with

Being able to filter out bad results is key. I was pairing recently and we had to look up some CSS selector I couldn't remember and when we googled it together I was like "skip w3schools...skip that...skip that...look for the MDN result".

Also helping my mom out with tech support, it's clear she doesn't really know where the problem lives. She'll say she has a "PowerPoint problem" when really it's that the projector isn't mirroring her laptop. Being able to articulate the exact problem in a way that will come up with a useful result is a learned skill.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

vonnegutt posted:

I was like "skip w3schools...skip that...skip that...look for the MDN result".

To be fair, w3schools is great for idiots like me who never bothered to learn CSS and are constantly googling the most basic poo poo when we can't get out of front end tickets. Just not for actual bugs.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Spent most of the day learning webpack for a site just to find out that I can't use it since the server doesn't support node.js (wpengine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do they expect you to have an external build process for the frontend or something?