Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm fully expecting the bottom to drop out of the online ads market at some point in the next five years. It's happened before (2003-2004), and there's a growing awareness that hypertargeted advertising isn't anywhere near effective enough to justify what people are paying for it. It'll be very interesting to see how Google and Facebook will deal with a shift like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't think the market for software engineers is going anywhere soon though. There's far too many white-collar jobs remaining to be automated. It'd take some kind of automating-the-automation invention (which sounds like a fairly hard AI problem to me, though maybe not Hard with a capital "H") to really make a dent in the demand for software.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If companies like Monster.com and Dice.com still exist we will still have plenty of room for billions of dollars spent on ineffective online ad campaigns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ultrafilter posted:

there's a growing awareness that hypertargeted advertising isn't anywhere near effective enough to justify what people are paying for it
This is also debatable in the wake of Cambridge Analytica, CatholicVote/Steve Bannon, etc. but obviously election cycles alone aren't enough to sustain that business

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vulture Culture posted:

This is also debatable in the wake of Cambridge Analytica, CatholicVote/Steve Bannon, etc. but obviously election cycles alone aren't enough to sustain that business

I thought the issue was that they had so much personal information, not that they found a way to wield it effectively?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One source of wage suppression in the US in tech is blacklisting employees between companies. It came out awhile ago that a few major companies had agreed not to poach each other's employees. I know because I get swept into the class action lawsuit. I made something like 1,500 out of it. I suspect I was specifically suppressed but was never told as such.

All I know now is I can't seem to leave my company because everybody is so worried all I can do is electrical engineering automation crap. They ultimately won.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vulture Culture posted:

The stuff that Cambridge Analytica was doing was actually illegal. That's a crucial difference between them and the adtech people.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

All I know now is I can't seem to leave my company because everybody is so worried all I can do is electrical engineering automation crap. They ultimately won.

If the companies were working together to prevent senior people from moving around, I'm not sure how different the hiring market would look.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ultrafilter posted:

The stuff that Cambridge Analytica was doing was actually illegal. That's a crucial difference between them and the adtech people.

Ah, the "it’s technically legal" defence.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultrafilter posted:

If the companies were working together to prevent senior people from moving around, I'm not sure how different the hiring market would look.
what "if" they loving wrote it down
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech_Employee_Antitrust_Litigation
we're still downstream of this BS

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

CCPA is a stiff penalty and will completely have jurisdiction
NYPA will be the proper death penalty. Private right of action, comparable penalty. There will be individual people who will make 10, 20 grand out of cannibalizing the adtech places and once that secret gets out it will be glorious mass individual bloodshed

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I guess I just don’t believe the dotcom crash won’t happen again. I need to be prepared to lose all of my job opportunities at any time, because there’s no such thing as job security these days.

Conceptually I get it - software is in fact eating the world - but I, too, can't escape this sentiment.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

JawnV6 posted:

what "if" they loving wrote it down
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech_Employee_Antitrust_Litigation
we're still downstream of this BS

Yeap and I was in that pile.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

What always bothered me most was that a company that at the start clearly said "don't be evil" went along with this. Looking at google nowadays just makes me sad.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

What always bothered me most was that a company that at the start clearly said "don't be evil" went along with this. Looking at google nowadays just makes me sad.

I once went to a restaurant with a sign out front that said "GOOD FOOD", imagine my surprise when it was actually not.

My experience has been that any company that claims something that should be dead obvious is doing the exact opposite of their claim.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In large companies, even your specific job is the one thing you don't do.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Keetron posted:

The reason that statement emerged is specifically probably because employees were doing evil, and a meeting was held "hey, I hear we are doing evil. That's not good for publicity, let's stop doing it." When you should get really scared is when you have a company who has a paragraph long statement indicating that the purpose of the company is to contribute value to society and that in no way shape or form do we ever accept bribes or sexually harass people.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The company I work for has "We do things the right way"

Guess what we don't do 80% of the time.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Fool posted:

The company I work for has "We do things the right way"

Guess what we don't do 80% of the time.

"We do things the right way for our shareholders"

FTFY

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
We had an internal hackathon last week and yesterday was presentations. One guy went up and said “I started an anonymous salary survey, here’s the link.”

He knew exactly what he was getting into (he gave the CTO a few hours notice) but management is not happy.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raminasi posted:

We had an internal hackathon last week and yesterday was presentations. One guy went up and said “I started an anonymous salary survey, here’s the link.”

He knew exactly what he was getting into (he gave the CTO a few hours notice) but management is not happy.

Holy poo poo lol that's a baller move

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hope that guy's ready to exhaustively document all of his communications and interactions with management from here on out.

I kind of feel like anonymous salary reports should be mandatory, to be honest. Force every company, regardless of size, to report on things like average salary; force companies of size > X to report on salary broken down by various demographics (age, race, gender, experience level, title) where X is chosen such that it preserves anonymity.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite part about Glassdoor's "anonymous" salary ranges was when I discovered that, if there's only one person reporting a salary for a given title, they still show a range, but the number you entered is exactly in the middle of it, making it perfectly obvious who reported the salary.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
At previous company I worked at the "Company Champion" was offering a whole 200g bar of Dairy Milk for doing a [no, it's totally not in supervised conditions] Glassdoor review. Pretty sweet deal I thought

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Keetron posted:

"Don't be evil"

"Wait we're an advertising company LOL"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

"Don't be evil"

"Wait we're an advertising company LOL"

They started as a search company, adwords came later. Now they are just another lovely advertising company, masked as a search company that more or less cornered the market for search and has a huge mobile platform to use for better advertising. Still, makes me sad what happened to the internet.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I kind of feel like anonymous salary reports should be mandatory, to be honest. Force every company, regardless of size, to report on things like average salary; force companies of size > X to report on salary broken down by various demographics (age, race, gender, experience level, title) where X is chosen such that it preserves anonymity.

Welcome to Norway!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

raminasi posted:

Hey, we work for the same company. I work on 2. Say hi.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you the one that started the survey?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

Are you the one that started the survey?
Oh no. I just started a couple of weeks ago. I'm not comfortable enough to do quite this sort of pot-stirring.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Keetron posted:

"I am not experienced enough in this sprint thing to comment on it."
But actually I think your manager wants to hear you don't like it so he can kill it and go back to a process he understands.

Questions like this during one-on-ones are totally by the book there's no reason to assume some dastardly ulterior motive. Why is everyone so drat cynical?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Questions like this during one-on-ones are totally by the book there's no reason to assume some dastardly ulterior motive. Why is everyone so drat cynical?
It takes a thief

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

It takes a thief

Also true.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have any of you guys worked exclusively as a part time contractor/self employed?

I've been out of school 7 years and I feel myself getting burnt out. I've got 4-5 years left on my student loans, part of me wants to switch careers but part of me says "lol and do what". I was thinking compromise and just take short contracts, nothing longer than 3 months. Renovate an old van and just work remotely from wherever in the US.

My main concern would simply be being able to find short term contracts when I need them. Then assuming I can, what sort of work are those contracts typically like? I can't figure out what sort of job might be like "Yea we need another body, but only for a month or two"

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sab669 posted:

Have any of you guys worked exclusively as a part time contractor/self employed?

I've been out of school 7 years and I feel myself getting burnt out. I've got 4-5 years left on my student loans, part of me wants to switch careers but part of me says "lol and do what". I was thinking compromise and just take short contracts, nothing longer than 3 months. Renovate an old van and just work remotely from wherever in the US.

My main concern would simply be being able to find short term contracts when I need them. Then assuming I can, what sort of work are those contracts typically like? I can't figure out what sort of job might be like "Yea we need another body, but only for a month or two"

I haven't done that, but I might suggest just changing jobs first before you go independent. It's possible you're just surrounded by assholes and don't know it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is my third programming job. One was a tiny, 7-person company dealing directly with clients. Another was for an international bank, and my current is for a leading medical (EMR) company. So I feel like I have decent exposure to different "schools" of the industry (tiny, small, huge companies). I do enjoy actually programming, but I'm not ultra competent* and I have little stomach for everything else that comes with it: reading & parsing requirements docs, all the meetings, QA, just...everything lol

* Definitely some imposter syndrome, but also I know my theory & skillset just aren't that good which has prevented me from getting better jobs.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Sab669 posted:

This is my third programming job. One was a tiny, 7-person company dealing directly with clients. Another was for an international bank, and my current is for a leading medical (EMR) company. So I feel like I have decent exposure to different "schools" of the industry (tiny, small, huge companies).

Try a midsized software company that isn't trying to 'scale', EMR while it seems like it should work like a software company generally doesn't.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sab669 posted:

I'm not ultra competent* and I have little stomach for everything else that comes with it: reading & parsing requirements docs, all the meetings, QA, just...everything lol
uhhhh i've got some bad news about this "become a self employed/contractor" plan

Sab669 posted:

* Definitely some imposter syndrome, but also I know my theory & skillset just aren't that good which has prevented me from getting better jobs.
Let the company tell you that.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Sab669 posted:

This is my third programming job. One was a tiny, 7-person company dealing directly with clients. Another was for an international bank, and my current is for a leading medical (EMR) company. So I feel like I have decent exposure to different "schools" of the industry (tiny, small, huge companies). I do enjoy actually programming, but I'm not ultra competent* and I have little stomach for everything else that comes with it: reading & parsing requirements docs, all the meetings, QA, just...everything lol

this is like 90% of your time as a solo contractor

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you just want to sit in a quiet room and code, you're not going to find that at basically any company unless you manage to convince them you're a prima donna rockstar dev. Software development requires teamwork which requires coordination which requires non-coding activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sab669 posted:

I look for say a 6-month contract every year, goal is to tour around in a VW campervan and chillax. Even better to have maintenance contracts for regular bill payment.

Finding underpaid stuff is easy.