Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Tanking just seems super stressful! I honestly never even considered having to worry about having to pull multiple packs of enemies and when/where is the best time to do that for any given dungeon. The fact that so many people have so many different opinions on what is OK for the tank to do in just that regard is enough to put me off ever trying it.
The right number is "how ever many you want", but I can't blame you for getting scared off by all the people saying otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My own pubqueue tank routine is that if it's my first time tanking a dungeon I say so. Otherwise I just keep going. I usually do double pulls instead of wall pulls because that's more comfortable for me, with the one exception being Malboro type enemies who will get burned down in isolation (thinking mostly of that one loving malboro in that hallway in the Wukong dungeon).

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Tanking just seems super stressful! I honestly never even considered having to worry about having to pull multiple packs of enemies and when/where is the best time to do that for any given dungeon. The fact that so many people have so many different opinions on what is OK for the tank to do in just that regard is enough to put me off ever trying it.

Eh, don't let people discussing minutiae put you off. That sort of stuff is the line between good tanks and great tanks, not stuff every single tank has to know before even trying. FF is the easiest MMO to tank I've ever played, and Shadowbringers only made it easier with cutting out stance dancing. Give it a try in leveling queue or PotD or something, I think you'll be surprised.

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Healer is the real stressful role. If people die they're gonna blame you even if it was their own dumb fault. You have to baby sit bad dps and tanks that repeatedly make mistakes. You have to put up with tanks pulling like mad men. If you die in 4 man content, it's pretty much an automatic wipe unless there's a summoner or red mage with you. The healer has to be the one make the least mistakes because you cannot die. Also unlike tanks, you are squishy and will die easily. You can't cheese mechanics with defensive cooldowns. Don't get me wrong. Healing can be easy if the party is good. But if the party sucks, healing can be a nightmare.

LunarEmerald fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 23, 2019

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I don't usually pull more than two packs at a time and I get tons of commends when I tank. I think I've been kicked from one pug my whole time playing WAR, a Pharos Hard group where we wiped to a boss because I hadn't done the right before

By comparison, I've been kicked or had tanks ragequit at least three times playing whm 1 to 60ish because the tank pulled everything and I couldn't keep them alive using every tool I had

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Being anxious about tanking I think is basically more a product of loving up as a tank is generally super obvious compared to the DPS/you're generally expected to semi-make the pace. It's actually easier but it seems like all your fuckups are more magnified than they are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's not, because you know that you're always going to have a competent tank.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

LunarEmerald posted:

Healer is the real stressful role. If people die they're gonna blame you even if it was their own dumb fault. You have to baby sit bad dps and tanks that repeatedly make mistakes. You have to put up with tanks pulling like mad men. If you die in 4 man content, it's pretty much an automatic wipe unless there's a summoner or red mage with you. The healer has to be make the least mistakes because you cannot die. Also unlike tanks, you are squishy and will die easily. You can't cheese mechanics with defensive cooldowns. Don't get me wrong. Healing can be easy if the party is good. But if the party sucks, healing can be a nightmare.

Feels super aggravating when the tank pulls multiple packs, doesn't use cooldowns, then has the temerity to get mad at me for not being able to keep them alive.

On another note, I've literally never had a negative experience in either Deep Dungeon. Either it's a completely silent run, or we're joking around and spamming emotes while waiting for the cairn to activate.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I've had a few but it was mostly people loving up the Edda fight and wasting everyone's time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The Berzerker posted:

I'm early in HW (current MSQ is In Search of Iceheart) and I'm wondering how soon I can expect to have my name cleared. I should be able to start my next BRD job quest now but nobody will let me in the back of the archer's guild because of the current circumstances. I just don't like getting behind in my job quests. :mad:

Well, separate out what's happening into two categories:

Narratively speaking, you're a criminal in the eyes of the Uldahns, and, as the Gridanians and Lominsans are allied with Ul'dah, they are nominally compelled to abide by some kind of extradition treaty. Ishgard, being highly isolationist and not a part of the Eorzean Alliance, is basically giving Ul'dah the middle finger, and telling them where they can shove it, and spin.

Mechanically speaking, you should not be locked off from anything. It would break a great many systems, which is why, narratively speaking, when you go back and talk with NPCs, they don't believe the charges against you one whit, secretly support you, but must maintain the appearance of upholding law and order, turn a blind eye, or are just flat out scared shitless of you. (Talk to the Crystal Brave guard in the streets in More Donuts for a laugh.) Back to mechanically, this leads me to believe that your next BRD quest is not to be found in Gridania in the Archer's guild, but in the South Shroud, on the outskirts of Quarrymill.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don't listen to our musings on ~ideal tanking~, generally tanking is a "select your stress level" role.

At the end of the day, wall-to-wall tanking saves like 5 or ten minutes in a run but also has a high chance of wiping the group, mitigated by how good you are at using your tanking toolkit and/or how good the healer is. With a good healer and a good tank and two bad DPS, you'll clear dungeons faster than you would with two good DPS and a bad tank/healer.

When you're tanking, just do what you're comfortable with. Worst case scenario you pull too much, die, and pull less next time. Healers usually blame themselves when people die anyways. If you're comfortable with single pulls, then just single pull. Nobody really gives a poo poo. Sometimes healers like single pulls since they can comfortably DPS more, even though I personally might feel a blood lily is wasted on groups of <7.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My experience tanking s that your DPS has a lot more to do with whether you should big pull, but I also don't typically pull that big.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The real reason to wall to wall tank is that after you get the hang of the basics of tanking you’ll swiftly become bored without multi pulling.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you can break in here you can end racism

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

This game has the whiniest baby playerbase I've ever seen, it's wild. Just had a vote kick commenced against Player 3 because they said 1+2 shouldn't waste our time in HoH chasing after upgrade chests besides the ones you pass. When he didn't get kicked (because I said no), 1+2 proceeded to spend the entire rest of the run AFK.

I feel like half the duties I run have some situation come up like this, and the person being kicked is never, ever the one who should be. Never seen an online game like it.

if everybody you meet is an rear end in a top hat, you’re the rear end in a top hat

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
So now that I've finished the story as Machinist and brought up Gunbreaker to a level where I can go through the ShB dungeons and trials with a friend once they get enough time off for it, I've decided to start leveling Astrologian again after I got it to level 50 a few months ago just to see whether I liked healing (I do).

Is there some easy way to remember which cards boost melee damage and which ones boost ranged damage without just outright memorizing them all, like a mnemonic or something in common with the designs of the icons (beyond the seals involved with using Divination, I mean)? Outside of converting them to Lord/Lady of Crowns, I for the life of me cannot remember what card has which effect without mousing over the Play icon.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Kadorhal posted:

So now that I've finished the story as Machinist and brought up Gunbreaker to a level where I can go through the ShB dungeons and trials with a friend once they get enough time off for it, I've decided to start leveling Astrologian again after I got it to level 50 a few months ago just to see whether I liked healing (I do).

Is there some easy way to remember which cards boost melee damage and which ones boost ranged damage without just outright memorizing them all, like a mnemonic or something in common with the designs of the icons (beyond the seals involved with using Divination, I mean)? Outside of converting them to Lord/Lady of Crowns, I for the life of me cannot remember what card has which effect without mousing over the Play icon.

If they used to be DPS+ cards they're for melee, if not they're for ranged.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kadorhal posted:

Blue border: Melee (incl. tank)
Purple border: Ranged (incl. healer)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Superbolide feels real fuckin good when you time it right on a wall to wall

e: slowed down after that and the healer literally said "bless you", feels good man

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Aphrodite posted:

Chest armor is nice, which is that?
Ivalician Royal Knight's Armor

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

My experience tanking s that your DPS has a lot more to do with whether you should big pull, but I also don't typically pull that big.

Yep. If your DPS sucks, you and your healer run out of cooldowns before everything is dead. With good dps you can get away with one or two light cooldowns.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Nessus posted:

Blue border: Melee (incl. tank)
Purple border: Ranged (incl. healer)

That's perfect, thanks.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kadorhal posted:

That's perfect, thanks.

Adding to that:

Ranged cards (The Spire) have the purple border with a circle on each side, and melee (The Balance) have blue border with a plus.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

World War Mammories posted:

it's extremely good op. giott is maybe the best character in the expansion

:hai: healer quests made me cry and laugh, sometimes together.

edit: the final fight of the physical dps stuff was great too. i love lu-reeq he's such a wonderful goober

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Adding to that:

Ranged cards (The Spire) have the purple border with a circle on each side, and melee (The Balance) have blue border with a plus.

poo poo i never noticed, that's useful.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 23, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

If the tank isn't pulling big enough/fast enough for you, is it that hard to just... type something in party chat? Just be like, "Could you try bigger pulls?" or "Could you move a little faster between pulls?" I'm a new tank in ShB and that's how I learned to tank better and it was fine. I was afraid to do double pulls until a healer told me I could probably handle pulling more, and then I tried it and learned and now I do that whenever I can. That feels a lot better than if, say, a DPS runs off and pulls more and then I die because I wasn't ready, because it always feels a little bit like, hey, if I'd have known you wanted bigger pulls maybe this could've gone smoother, y'know?
yeah, seriously. A little communication helps, and is a lot better at telling me that you want to pull more than charging ahead and giving me a heart attack (and then getting mad when it turns out I can't handle that many mobs)

homeless snail posted:

The right number is "how ever many you want", but I can't blame you for getting scared off by all the people saying otherwise
the kind of talk in here is one of the big reasons I've stayed away from tanking in FFXIV. Like come on, it's an extra what, 5 minutes across the dungeon run. Is that really so bad in exchange for letting a new tank get comfortable with their role?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Time for bandwagon pics. I don't see a lot of midlander dudes out there, but I really love how my character looks. The end of the MSQ is unbelievably good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LunarEmerald posted:

Healer is the real stressful role. If people die they're gonna blame you even if it was their own dumb fault.

just blame selene imo :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
playing healer is the cure for blaming healers when you die

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

playing healer is the cure for blaming healers when you die

Blame yourself... or God.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I blamed the healers when I died during hello world though because it probably was their fault

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

the kind of talk in here is one of the big reasons I've stayed away from tanking in FFXIV.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they want, to antagonize people into not tanking. Either that or they really don't get anxiety and think being really aggressive at people about the thing people are anxious about is how to cure it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I had some rough chuckles doing double pulls in the Aery because my healer (a friend with whom I queued) said I was constantly moving out of range. First time I'd heard that for trash.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

homeless snail posted:

Either that or they really don't get anxiety and think being really aggressive at people about the thing people are anxious about is how to cure it

Boy do I have bad news for you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Healer is secretly the easiest job in MMOs, because MMO developers are terrified of giving them extra mechanics to deal with so they almost never do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maximum Chenergy posted:

Boy do I have bad news for you.
Case in point I guess lmao. No, that's how you traumatize someone, not healthily deal with anxiety

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they want, to antagonize people into not tanking. Either that or they really don't get anxiety and think being really aggressive at people about the thing people are anxious about is how to cure it
Real talk: I spend the majority of my professional and social life engaging in amateur attempts to treat and comfort anxiety.

If you have advice or some kind of guidelines - and I am not being sarcastic or a smartass here - please share.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LunarEmerald posted:

Healer is the real stressful role. If people die they're gonna blame you even if it was their own dumb fault.
For some reason healer is a lot less stressful to me, even if it's arguable a lot more work. I think it has to do with the fact that as a tank, there is only so much you can do if poo poo hits the fan. Got aggro? Used your cooldowns? Not much else you can do. You're very reliant on the other players, particularly the healer and that stresses me out. As a healer on the other hand, you have so many tools to fix bad situations and it never feels like you're held back by what the other players are (or aren't) doing in the same way. It can get real hectic when all the DPS are standing in the fire and eventually you'll run out of MP but a lot of the time you can still manage to pull through it entirely by your own abilities. I guess as a healer it feels like you have more.. agency? Is that the right word?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Your Computer posted:

the kind of talk in here is one of the big reasons I've stayed away from tanking in FFXIV. Like come on, it's an extra what, 5 minutes across the dungeon run. Is that really so bad in exchange for letting a new tank get comfortable with their role?

I never complain about tanks single-pulling, but I will silently curse them in my head.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The leveling dungeons in shb are all kinda deadly if either the tank or the healer is at the min level for it or is kinda undergeared. Even double pulls feel like you need to fire on all cylinders to keep up. It's doable but if anybody single pulled I wouldn't even be annoyed. It's only at max level where multipulls are completely free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, I've been that undergeared tank myself, so it just feels to me like they're not interesting in testing their limits. Some double pulls are also clearly easier than others.

Edit: Actually, leveling up all the roles for the role quests has made me way less sympathetic to other players overall. I also blame the dps for being slow.