Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Pricing bulk rolls of 35mm film on B&H, and this popped up in the results.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1451642-REG/zeiss_2311_942_supreme_prime_7_lens_set.html

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The thing that bugs me the most about that Zeiss lens set is the orientation of the number "100" on the 100mm lens - it's upside-down compared to the other numbers on the other lenses.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Very cool, 500px, thank you

quote:

Our engineering team recently learned of a potential security issue affecting your 500px user account. We are taking this issue extremely seriously and have taken immediate action to address the situation and ensure the protection of our users’ data. There is no indication of unauthorized access to user accounts.

We recognize that you have chosen to deactivate your account, however, some of the information that you provided us with when filling out your user profile may have been compromised (listed below). As a precaution, if you choose to reactivate your account, you will be prompted to reset your password when you log in to 500px.

Given the nature of the personal data involved, we are alerting you to this matter so you can take steps to help protect yourself against the risk of phishing, spam, and other misuse of your information as a result of this issue.

We recommend that you change your password on any other website or app on which you use a password that is the same as or similar to your password for your 500px account.

What happened?

On February 8, 2019, our engineering team became aware of a potential security issue affecting certain user profile data. We immediately launched a comprehensive review of our systems to understand the nature and scope of the issue. We engaged a third-party expert to assist us in our investigation and are coordinating with law enforcement authorities on this matter.

Based on our investigation to date, we believe that an unauthorized party gained access to our systems and acquired partial user data on approximately July 5, 2018. We’ve concluded this issue affected certain information that users provided when filling out their user profiles, as listed below. Our engineers are closely monitoring our platform and we’ve found no evidence to date of any recurrence of this issue.

What personal data may have been affected?

Your first and last name as entered on 500px

Your 500px username

The email address associated with your 500px login

A hash of your password, which is hashed using a one-way cryptographic algorithm

Your city, state/province, country, if provided

Your birth date, if provided

Your gender, if provided

At this time, there is no indication of unauthorized access to any accounts, and no evidence that other data associated with your user profile was affected, such as credit card information (which is not stored on our servers), if used to make any purchases, or any other sensitive personal information.

If you have not changed your password on 500px since October 2012, there is a risk that your hashed password could be reverse-engineered to allow an unauthorized party to compromise your 500px account. The sections below provide information on the steps taken to protect your account.

What actions have we taken to protect your information?

Given the potential risk to password security, we have already reset your password to protect your data.

We have vetted access to our servers, databases, and other sensitive data-storage services.

We have and are continuing to monitor our source code, both public-facing and internal, to protect against security issues.

We are partnering with leading experts in cyber security to further secure our website, mobile apps, internal systems, and security processes.

We are modifying our internal software development process.

We are continuing to upgrade our network infrastructure.

What can you do?

While our password security measures are robust and we have precautionary measures in place, we are taking additional steps to ensure your personal data remains secure. As a result, we are resetting all 500px account passwords. If you choose to reactivate your account, you will be prompted to reset your password when you log in to 500px.

We take the security of your information extremely seriously, and we sincerely apologize with regret that this issue occurred. Going forward, we will continue to enhance our security measures to help keep your data safe, as well as implement additional measures to help prevent this type of incident from reoccurring.

If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our Support team. We’re on standby to help.

- 500px

rio
Mar 20, 2008

dakana posted:

I just got the email too and was coming here to post it as a heads up. Maybe next time they can try a little harder to have good security but since companies have zero liability or repercussions when people take out private info from them I doubt it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

rio posted:

I just got the email too and was coming here to post it as a heads up. Maybe next time they can try a little harder to have good security but since companies have zero liability or repercussions when people take out private info from them I doubt it.

And I'm so thankful to them for keeping all my poo poo even though I deleted deactivated my account.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also, the breach happened in July last year. Whoever stole that info has had 8 months to do whatever the gently caress they like with it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo print your work, kids. it is a drat good feeling

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:same:

I got my first ever prints a few weeks ago and love seeing my ugly photos on the wall.

I'm doing aluminum prints though, they hide the ugly real well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I got my first ever prints a few weeks ago and love seeing my ugly photos on the wall.

I'm doing aluminum prints though, they hide the ugly real well.

Yeah I did a separate aluminum print of the baboon with babby for my office. I'm a little surprised how much I like those.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DJExile posted:

yo print your work, kids. it is a drat good feeling

That baboon picture is legit nice.

What does a print like that typically cost?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

President Beep posted:

Cheaper than you'd think. 8x10's on paper are under $5 (but don't forget to think about framing/mounting).

One of the places I've tried out is nationsphotolab.com and they will blast your mailbox with coupons constantly. Their base prices are a little high but you'll get 10%-15% off every weekend and your second order is 25% off so their business model is clearly to lure people in with deals. Their coupon codes stack too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Cheaper than you'd think. 8x10's on paper are under $5 (but don't forget to think about framing/mounting).

One of the places I've tried out is nationsphotolab.com and they will blast your mailbox with coupons constantly. Their base prices are a little high but you'll get 10%-15% off every weekend and your second order is 25% off so their business model is clearly to lure people in with deals. Their coupon codes stack too.

drat, that's actually quite good...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

Everything here was done by a local place, the last camera store for probably 45 miles around here. The big ones are inkjet printed onto a sort of foam board and ran like $30 each, the 8x10s were $4 each.

Metal prints are like $23 for an 8x10.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
The hot takes on Karl Lagerfeld's passing today are plentiful and hilarious. My favorites are the small but vocal group who think Karl got famous for being one of the radio DJs featured on Grand Theft Auto IV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not going to make a habit of posting sales, but since it was recently talked about in here I thought I'd point out that nationsphotolab.com is doing an 'up to' 50% off on aluminum prints through tomorrow.

Unfortunately not many of their available sizes are actually 50% off, it looks like only 11x14, 24x30 and 24x36 hit that mark. But if you've been wanting to try the format, this isn't the worst time to give it a shot.

(note they do free shipping over $50)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I prefer to hoard all of my photos unculled on several hard drives in old Lightroom catalogs, never to be looked at again next to the books of unscanned negatives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the best option for a grandchild to find them in 50 years and your vintage collection makes you posthumously famous.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

I prefer to hoard all of my photos unculled on several hard drives in old Lightroom catalogs, never to be looked at again next to the books of unscanned negatives.

Are you me?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Moon photos from the 1960s were developed in space—here's how

Neat. A challenge I’ve not read about before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

Just lol, they sent out a second email last night stating they found another issue and if you already changed your password, you need to change it again.

gently caress that site and the people that bought it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I just manually deleted all my photos and put gibberish in for ask the fields since I don't really trust what they'll do if I try and deactivate my account.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holy poo poo they did it

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2019/03/04/flickr-login-freedom-is-here/

Well, doing it. The rollout is gonna take a while.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Shameless self promotion: I just got a photo published in a small art journal called Art Ascent.
https://artascent.com/category/artists-of-beauty-2019-apr/
It's the April 2019, "Beauty" issue. You can see a lot of the publication here without having to purchase it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This was a very cool read. Before getting into photography less than two years ago, I definitely took these pictures for granted. Beautiful stuff.

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/04/14/hasselblads-history-in-space/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
In an attempt to support my local brick and mortar store, I went there to buy some filters. I asked for a circular polarizer and he came back with one priced at $180. I said "I was hoping to spend about $100 on one." and he says he can go try and see if he can sell it to me for $100. How much are they marking all that poo poo up!? I left without purchasing anything and am just going to buy it all online.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

huhu posted:

In an attempt to support my local brick and mortar store, I went there to buy some filters. I asked for a circular polarizer and he came back with one priced at $180. I said "I was hoping to spend about $100 on one." and he says he can go try and see if he can sell it to me for $100. How much are they marking all that poo poo up!? I left without purchasing anything and am just going to buy it all online.

Wow, really? My local places tend to be really close to what I can get online. So much so that the only times I don't purchase from them is when they're just straight up out of stock on something and it might be a bit before they get it in. Or else it's a modifier that doesn't have the name Wescott or Profoto on it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just buy a Marumi super dhg in the size you need online.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I feel like such a scrub. I bought a nice tripod on Friday (Benro carbon and magnesium one with an S2 video head) and I was trying to set it up on my balcony with my new 5Div for lightning shots. I couldn't get my camera onto the head though, the locking lever for the tripod mount kept hitting the bottom of the camera before it was even nearly tight.It was like one of those physical puzzle toys where you have to loosen things precisely enough so that the thing can slide through the other thing without completely falling apart. So figured I'd got a dud one with a bent safety or something. Went back to the store and the guy showed me that the locking lever can be pulled out and disengaged to let you wind it back and tighten it some more.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

So I've got a really strange question that I'd like to ask here. Since a lot of you are doing some really cool work that I really like I figured this would be a place to ask. Especially more so since as near as I can tell no one else in here works in the same space we do so I'd really like that outside perspective. This at first might seem a bit meandering but it will eventually make sense.

I work with a team of people where we do cosplay photography but since we also do completely original concepts as well I really lump it all together under 'fine art portraiture'. We're very much about doing on location and studio work. We love location scouting, finding props and background elements for our sets, etc.

When we look at similar work in the US and Canada (for instance if you were to look through the #cosplayphotography hashtag on Instagram) it all tends to be convention shots. Hardly do we ever see a photo that wasn't painfully obvious that it was at a convention.

But when we find photos that were done outside of north America they're damned near all location/studio work. And what we run into tends to be loving AMAZING. Like their photos make us go "Whoa" and inspire us. Really well executed stuff. The amusing bit is that we've noticed this tends to come from places like Germany, Romania, Russia, Japan, and Singapore. We see the locations they shoot at and we're all "Dammit we wish we had a place like that to shoot at around here!" Within the US it just all looks to be con pic, con pic, con pic.

On top of that we've seen some pretty iffy if not downright bad editing at times with regards to what's found in the US scenes. Other members of the team (who are NOT photographers or photo editors) have posted examples they've ran into in our team chat and they've been able to pull apart what's wrong with them. Now we do talk a lot about how we're shooting, lighting, and editing things so that probably helps some. For THEM to be able to point out bits... I mean that should say a lot right there. And don't get us started on the application of CG here.

Are we perfect in what we do? Oh, gently caress no! We'll be the first to say that. We freely share what we did right and what we did wrong for all of our work since we want people to learn from what we went through. If anyone is interested in what we talk about let me know and I'll link our site.

What we don't have a lot of info around and can't understand is that why does this all seem to be so pervasive in the US? We figure part of it is due to people trying to get social media 'pop' which we get. But for everything to be so heavily skewed in that direction it just makes us go "Wait... why? We can do this so why can't you?"

Part of the reason I ask about this is because we're looking at offering photography services soon. We already have a list of reasons why people should work with us like we're not pressed for time, we're not fighting for location, we have people that know what it's like in front and behind the camera, most of the team is female so we're a safe space (especially since there are a lot of creepers in this scene), and all that. But I'm trying to figure out what's that bit of 'extra' that would get people to hire us. We could easily show people a comparison of our work versus hashtags though I don't think that will be enough. So what could we say so people will easily understand?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like location is your USP honestly. If most cosplayers in the US are getting their photos at cons against concrete walls, or in the carpark of the centre, or surrounded by sweaty nerds under bad light, then having a cool place that's a better stage for the costume should be the most visible difference. Much more so than technical stuff like lighting and PP, and certainly more than intangibles like a lower chance of random sexual assault.

Regarding the difference between the US and other countries, I think it's just because the US has so many cons going on that, if you are a cosplayer or a cosplay photographer, you can hit up a con somewhere pretty much any month of the year. Outside the US, it's not so common, there might be one or two big cons a year in your country. So if you are a cosplayer, you'll probably be looking for other settings to show off your work.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

It sounds like location is your USP honestly. If most cosplayers in the US are getting their photos at cons against concrete walls, or in the carpark of the centre, or surrounded by sweaty nerds under bad light, then having a cool place that's a better stage for the costume should be the most visible difference. Much more so than technical stuff like lighting and PP, and certainly more than intangibles like a lower chance of random sexual assault.

Yeah, I figure coming up with and delivering a product that could in no way be done at a convention will be the main driving force. But since we're going to command a higher rate than con shooters (here in the central Texas area $50 for 45 minutes is pretty common) I was wanting to cover points to convince them it's worth the money. The fun part has been trying to figure out how to price things since I haven't been able to find someone who does the same thing. So currently I'm using the lower end of the fine art portrait market around here as a baseline and will see where that goes, which is around $300.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

A photography related question that doesn't really fit any of the other threads: did anyone else's engagement on Instagram take a steep dive lately? Before I was getting a 30% or better ratio of engagement to followers but recently it just tanked. I haven't changed anything regarding tag use or being active before I post (liking/genuine commenting on other pics). Now admittedly I'm bad about using Stories since really I'd rather share something meaningful rather than say photos of my cats or something. Though I was that way before I noticed the drop. So at best I have to wonder if there was an algorithm change but I didn't know if anyone else saw the same thing?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

ReverendHammer posted:

A photography related question that doesn't really fit any of the other threads: did anyone else's engagement on Instagram take a steep dive lately? Before I was getting a 30% or better ratio of engagement to followers but recently it just tanked. I haven't changed anything regarding tag use or being active before I post (liking/genuine commenting on other pics). Now admittedly I'm bad about using Stories since really I'd rather share something meaningful rather than say photos of my cats or something. Though I was that way before I noticed the drop. So at best I have to wonder if there was an algorithm change but I didn't know if anyone else saw the same thing?

Nope, but it's worth noting that the more followers you get, the lower your engagement rate will be (according to the algorithm.) You picked up some extra followers lately?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Nope, but it's worth noting that the more followers you get, the lower your engagement rate will be (according to the algorithm.) You picked up some extra followers lately?

No, I haven't. At first I thought it might be content related since our most recent sets were a goth swimsuit set and a Sanrio PJ set one of our team members wanted to do. But the way we did and presented things was still pretty 'on-brand' for us. Plus we've done stuff like that before and it went over well. So that's why I'm so confused.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My Instagram engagement has dropped off a cliff -- which is not to say it was amazing before, but I could expect 100-200 likes and a few comments per image, now I get less than 50 and if I'm lucky 1 new follower for each photo I post. In comparison my facebook response rate is rising and I'm getting 50-100 new followers per day.

I hate both sharing services with a passion though and put minimal effort in.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

My Instagram engagement has dropped off a cliff -- which is not to say it was amazing before, but I could expect 100-200 likes and a few comments per image, now I get less than 50 and if I'm lucky 1 new follower for each photo I post. In comparison my facebook response rate is rising and I'm getting 50-100 new followers per day.

I hate both sharing services with a passion though and put minimal effort in.

So after doing some research it may not just be us: https://medium.com/@cspenn/instagram-brand-engagement-the-latest-statistics-3a269e9a1c75

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Also: I posted a poll to my IG story... everyone that voted said "Yes" they had seen an engagement drop.

Ooooohhhhhh gently caress these garbage rear end platforms. :D

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've only just discovered I can resize the Smart Sharpen dialog box in photoshop to get a preview that isn't a postage stamp...

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Well I certainly had an interesting weekend. I put on my first photography demonstrations. At an anime convention.

They went over pretty well even with the small audience sizes we had. One thing I think that really helped was that not only did we pull audience members to be in front of the camera but also to help put the shots together. Getting people involved in various aspects with what we were doing I think helped a lot. If anyone is curious about the story behind this and the shots we got I wrote about it here: https://www.makethemawesome.com/home/2019/7/22/a-first-time-for-everything-putting-on-photography-demos

One thing I was really curious about : have any goons in here put on demos/workshops or at least thought about it? I've never seen that sort of thing talked about here so I had no idea if anyone had any experience along those lines. If you have I'd really like to hear about it. Getting some outside perspectives might help give me things to think about in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I did a science of photography workshop for a local photo group. Talking about circles of confusion, Bayer filters and what raw files really are.