Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Meridian posted:

Dune ended at God Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ah yes, extreme gentlemen of the internet, please deign to elaborate in precise detail what makes Denis Villanueve's directorial body of work dull and routine in tyool twothousandnineteen, known otherwise as the 10 year anniversary of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If your argument fails to convince a previously acknowledged doongoon collective then I call upon this legislative body to proclaim the use of the term hack, as directed toward anyone itt other than @duneauthor or KJA, heretofore probatable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DankDuneMemes/status/939197461427642373?s=20

https://twitter.com/DankDuneMemes/status/931283050389962752?s=20

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If your argument fails to convince a previously acknowledged doongoon collective then I call upon this legislative body to proclaim the use of the term hack, as directed toward anyone itt other than @duneauthor or KJA, heretofore probatable.

:agreed:

Also it is funny how the original Sicario is decidedly non-chuddy but the sequel goes full chud, perhaps the director of the first has the artistic ability to wrangle the writer of both film's chud-vision into a critique of the drug war and beyond whereas the director of the second is, oh I dunno, a complete hack-fraud

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Arrival sucked rear end. That's all I have to say about that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

priznat posted:

:agreed:

Also it is funny how the original Sicario is decidedly non-chuddy but the sequel goes full chud, perhaps the director of the first has the artistic ability to wrangle the writer of both film's chud-vision into a critique of the drug war and beyond whereas the director of the second is, oh I dunno, a complete hack-fraud

Sicario 2 was brought into existence by certain assholes in Hollywood associated with the DoD, of which there are many. It is strictly propaganda.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Meridian posted:

Arrival sucked rear end. That's all I have to say about that.

It's easily his worst film but I'd still give it a 4/5 without hesitation, and perhaps bonus cred for starring Amy Adams and being based on an unfilmable story.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lots of people feel personally insulted by the criticism aimed at Villeneuve ITT. Most of his work is technically competent but devoid of artistic merit and societally irrelevant. Aside from Sicario, that one was vile. If you like or enjoy his movies, that’s ok. I had a good time watching Captain Marvel. I still think it was worthless crap. Your media preferences shouldn’t affect your sense of self-worth, although not understanding art does make you a philistine. Namaste.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Lots of people feel personally insulted by the criticism aimed at Villeneuve ITT. Most of his work is technically competent but devoid of artistic merit and societally irrelevant. Aside from Sicario, that one was vile. If you like or enjoy his movies, that’s ok. I had a good time watching Captain Marvel. I still think it was worthless crap. Your media preferences shouldn’t affect your sense of self-worth, although not understanding art does make you a philistine. Namaste.

You don’t understand movies, it’s ok

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sicario 2 was brought into existence by certain assholes in Hollywood associated with the DoD, of which there are many. It is strictly propaganda.

It's propaganda that the CIA would attempt to murder one of its own operatives because he refuses to murder a child? Well, okay. It's propaganda that the Federal government would decide to start a war in Mexico and then abruptly decide to backstab and run as soon as the original stance became politically inconvenient?

The second one is just as much of a critique of short-sighted military interventionism as the first one was a critique of the drug war. I mean, it's propaganda, but it's not propaganda in which America is the good guys.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Villeneuve makes good movies.
Chapterhouse and Children of Dune are the worst of the Frank Herbert 6.
Heretics is better than God Emperor.

thatfatkid fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 23, 2019

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

thatfatkid posted:

Villeneuve makes good movies.
Chapterhouse and Children of Dune are the worst of the Frank Herbert 6.

I found my paperback copy of Children of Dune; not remembering the last time I read it.

I had put it away with a bookmark somewhere in the middle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phanatic posted:

It's propaganda that the CIA would attempt to murder one of its own operatives because he refuses to murder a child? Well, okay. It's propaganda that the Federal government would decide to start a war in Mexico and then abruptly decide to backstab and run as soon as the original stance became politically inconvenient?

Are you aware of the general history of US counterinsurgency policy, and the ideological shenanigans that are pulled within media in order to normalize the mindset for the general public? The only reason the first movie didn't end up being some boilerplate action spectacle is because Villanueve seemed intent on quietly subverting that theme with something far more morally self-searching, and the rest of his work as a writer/director reflects said qualities. As is quite obvious now Taylor Sheridan was unable to keep the (frankly unnecessary) sequel on the rails alone.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 23, 2019

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Stop arguing about films fuckers, I just got a copy of the folio edition Dune and it's niiiice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Stop arguing about films fuckers, I just got a copy of the folio edition Dune and it's niiiice.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know this is 200+ pages of laughing at Frank Herbert's charlatan son, and so has probably been posted many, many times before, but I was reading the Wikipedia page for Melange last night, and found out about ultraspice.

Ultraspice.

loving lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Reminder that purchase of Dune material with a first-sale date after Frank’s death is direct subsidization of the failson usurper, hth?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Are you wearing a black beret while holding a wine glass on your hand because :holymoley:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 23, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bardeh posted:

I know this is 200+ pages of laughing at Frank Herbert's charlatan son, and so has probably been posted many, many times before, but I was reading the Wikipedia page for Melange last night, and found out about ultraspice.

Ultraspice.

loving lmao

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Schadenboner posted:

Reminder that purchase of Dune material with a first-sale date after Frank’s death is direct subsidization of the failson usurper, hth?

Honestly if you're not doing what his parents should have done, you are complicit. Breathing the same air as the Failson dirties us all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Working on getting mine. Anticipation is growing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sonic the Hedgehog sez: the only form of ethical consumption under capitalism is avoiding giving Brian Herbert and Kevin James Anderson money.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are there any instances in literature where an heir has taken the mantle of their parent's work and done it justice? Or is it failsons abounds?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
"Powindah dirt" Master Scytale sneeringly sneered while looking at his elfin figure that sneered with sneering sharp teeth.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any instances in literature where an heir has taken the mantle of their parent's work and done it justice? Or is it failsons abounds?
Christopher Tolkien did a pretty good job.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pimblor posted:

"Powindah dirt" Master Scytale sneeringly sneered while looking at his elfin figure that sneered with sneering sharp teeth.

Not enough whores

Mister Speaker posted:

Chris Tolkien did JRRT’s work justice by spending 40 years methodically arranging and pedantically dissecting everything he ever scribbled down

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mister Speaker posted:

Nothing comes to mind. Christopher Tolkien was at least a very respectful and good curator.

By definition writing (and art in general) requires talent, creativity, and skill. Nepotism, exposure, and shitloads of cash aren’t enough to ensure success, like they are in so many other industries like hollywood, music, business, politics, etc. Sure, failsons can ride coattails and make money, I guess. But your writing is your writing, there for everyone to see (and make fun and ignore when it sucks). Of course, a certain level of genius in a parent guarantees motivation and production in a child, and also interest regardless of talent (see Picasso, Lennon, etc.) but writing requires more sustained effort than just taking music other people wrote and looking good while strumming a guitar or yelling into a microphone.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Martin Amis has, to some, surpassed his father Kingsley, but yeah it's a pretty rare scenario to begin with.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So I remember finding the original Dune novel pretty fascinating years back (mainly because of a the crazy worldbuilding stuff, I think), but when I got Dune Messiah and and Children of Dune from a Goodwill a year or so back and tried to start reading them, I found the writing to be offputtingly dry and stilted right off the bat. I'm honestly curious if these books still have enough crazy sci-fi concept stuff like the original to make it worth putting up with awkward character writing or what.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nicolas Cage is Coppola's nephew or something but I know not everyone recognizes him as America's greatest living actor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

The Waughs, Kingsley/Martin Amis, Steinbeck had a few writer sons, also lol stephen king

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Doctor Bishop posted:

So I remember finding the original Dune novel pretty fascinating years back (mainly because of a the crazy worldbuilding stuff, I think), but when I got Dune Messiah and and Children of Dune from a Goodwill a year or so back and tried to start reading them, I found the writing to be offputtingly dry and stilted right off the bat. I'm honestly curious if these books still have enough crazy sci-fi concept stuff like the original to make it worth putting up with awkward character writing or what.

Definitely read Messiah. Its short and my favorite of all the books. Paul reaches levels of badassery previously unknown to me in any work of fiction.

Children is ehhhhh

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nothing comes to mind. Christopher Tolkien was at least a very respectful and good curator.

By definition writing (and art in general) requires talent, creativity, and skill. Nepotism, exposure, and shitloads of cash aren’t enough to ensure success, like they are in so many other industries like hollywood, music, business, politics, etc. Sure, failsons can ride coattails and make money, I guess. But your writing is your writing, there for everyone to see (and make fun and ignore when it sucks). Of course, a certain level of genius in a parent guarantees motivation and production in a child, and also interest regardless of talent (see Picasso, Lennon, etc.) but writing requires more sustained effort than just taking music other people wrote and looking good while strumming a guitar or yelling into a microphone.

Brian Herbert got where he is because he runs the Frank Herbert estate and publishers know the Dune brand (ugh) is a profitable one. He traded in on that cachet to get his failson fan fiction published, and even then he had to bring in a hack writer to do the heavy lifting. The guy doesn't appear to have an original bone in his body, and if he was anyone else he'd be languishing in obscurity.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Stephen King's son's stuff is pretty well regarded. he also looks like a clone of his dad.

also, I didn't know Brian was so old. he won't he around to gently caress with Dune for too much longer I expect.

shoulda stayed in his lane.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/730855695986216960?s=20

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 24, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Doctor Bishop posted:

Read Messiah. It's an excellent coda for the original characters.

Only read Children if you're interested in reading God Emperor at some point. Read the books in twos, because that's how they relate to each other.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

"I want to be a writer like Papa!" Brian said. And so he wrote(?) not one, but two dad joke booklets.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My prescience let me see the way ahead:

yes I know that tweet is older than my post just let me have this godamn you

I also saw that this terrible purpose lay within my own cat!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And how can this be? Because it is the Kwisats Catarach!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just popping in to say that, in keeping with my theme of naming data volumes after spacecraft, my newly-completed RAID5 backups are named 'Guild Heighliner' A & B.