Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in conclusion, please read the hit manga 'so, do you wanna go out?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
crushing real hard on post-timeskip petra right now

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Dimitri wants to smash the state, I think

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

hey we could always use a class traitor or two from the upper classes

so more power to dimitri
i haven't been able to resist searching through the just released text dumps and cinematics to try and figure out the basics of what seems to be a very ambitious fire emblem plot. the factional objectives seem, very broadly, to be as follows (moderate to significant spoilers): edelgard wants to destroy the 'crest system'--which is sustained by the church--and is therefore actually the most analogously straightforward 'class' (more properly 'caste') revolutionary. dimitri seems more interested in stopping edelgard's ambitions for a variety of unclear reasons--for her extreme attack upon the church, for her bloody purging of various noble houses, and/or perhaps out of simple self-defense. he is fighting to preserve his own kingdom but is also somewhat trying to reform his kingdom from within. claude seems more interested--although information is even more limited here--in fighting the hidden magic evil dudes who inevitably show up and in dealing with 'off-map' countries like almyra which he has a political claim to. everyone seems to be broadly fighting for a different rendition of progressive social reform by the means of politically unifying the continent -- which all of them accomplish in the end.

Zane fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 23, 2019

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

goddamnit I need to leave this thread

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

is this going to be one of those games where you pick three flavours of morally gray, I tend to kinda hate those

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Those are my jam. I will play it over and over to see who I have to poach from other houses to get maximum suffering.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I cant play until the middle of August. I'm not gonna make it unspoiled, I'm too weak. :negative:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Merilan posted:

is this going to be one of those games where you pick three flavours of morally gray, I tend to kinda hate those
it looks that way.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Merilan posted:

They're the best ones, though! Anyway, it could be that all routes are more or less 'correct', just in different ways. Drastic change might be necessary to overhaul whatever fuckery is going on. At any rate, the fact that InSys is trying for-

Zane posted:

a very ambitious fire emblem plot

-is very cool, and a good departure from the semi-usual 'rargh evil dragon corrupts kingdom, beat the bad guy!' story (from what I understand, anyway - I've only played Awakening and seen a full LP of Fates, and done a little reading on the other games). I'm getting a Game of Thones-ish vibe from it all (in a positive way), and it wouldn't surprise me at all if GoT was an influence.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Merilan posted:

This explains a lot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coucho Marx posted:

-is very cool, and a good departure from the semi-usual 'rargh evil dragon corrupts kingdom, beat the bad guy!' story (from what I understand, anyway - I've only played Awakening and seen a full LP of Fates, and done a little reading on the other games).
this game seems to be very influenced by fe4/5 which were basically the only games to not really have those plots (there was still an evil dragon but they dealt a lot with politics, religion, and even discussed ways in which the protagonists could be seen as bad guys. there's a great scene in fe4 where you kill a bunch of cultists, seize a cultist compound, and then walk into a basement filled with childrens sketches and drawings of the dark god making everyone happy and giving them all food) so this angle makes sense.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tae posted:

This explains a lot

explains what, tho

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also RE: story/cutscene leaks - WTH is up with the ICBMs

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I haven't gone deep into reading absolutely everything and missed out on the cutscene dump, but looking at the endings, so 8 same-sex S support options, and two of them give no ending, two end platonically, and one's kinda ambiguous. Really? Basically everything I'm hearing about the rest of the game is sounding great so them fumbling these isn't like, a game-ruiner or anything, and maybe the execution'll redeem it, but right now I'm facepalming hard and wondering how IS managed to gently caress this up.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My nonspoilery take is that whatever route you go, you will wind up having to either talk down your lord or fight them once they go a step too far.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tae posted:

Massive picture spoiler: If you decide based on post time skip appearance

This one has portraits paired up with pre-skip

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

lurksion posted:

Welp shouldn’t have looked at that

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Endorph posted:

this game seems to be very influenced by fe4/5 which were basically the only games to not really have those plots (there was still an evil dragon but they dealt a lot with politics, religion, and even discussed ways in which the protagonists could be seen as bad guys. there's a great scene in fe4 where you kill a bunch of cultists, seize a cultist compound, and then walk into a basement filled with childrens sketches and drawings of the dark god making everyone happy and giving them all food) so this angle makes sense.

Thanks, that's cool to know! It's nice to see that, at the very least, after so many games, the series isn't afraid to swing for the hills in terms of plot again (as far as we can tell right now, anyway). I only hope now that the gameplay holds up, and that mounted units don't utterly dominate - I do like infantry units, and I want the armoured and grappler units to have a strong niche.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
When the first trailers hit, I wasn't a fan of the aesthetic, but the post-timeskip portraits look universally great. Yes, even Lorenz.

...but why is there a two-eyed Dimitri, explain yourself IntSys!!!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So how's dark magic this time around?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When did the CIA become the fourth house?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When did the CIA become the fourth house?

After the timeskip.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Yeah, turns out the real enemy all along was (massive, totally real spoiler, don't look!) Henry Kissinger

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

lurksion posted:

Everyone else: Changes and ages in a noticeable way.
Marianne: Gets a hair trim and some eyebag concealer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Everyone else: Changes and ages in a noticeable way.
Marianne: Gets a hair trim and some eyebag concealer

Marianne is already 22 at the start of the game, her aging the least is actually a cool detail.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOz1Q_Ha394

Full theme? It has a much slower beat than the trailer versions.

E: Think this guy's putting up the whole soundtrack - few more have gone up. Looks like they're back to map/battle variations vs. SoV's seperate tracks

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 23, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Marianne is already 22 at the start of the game, her aging the least is actually a cool detail.

I thought that was Mercedes? I may well have gotten one spoiler confused with another though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought that was Mercedes? I may well have gotten one spoiler confused with another though.

no its just 12:30 am and i mixed up names

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lurksion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOz1Q_Ha394

Full theme? It has a much slower beat than the trailer versions.

The opening's been out for a long while.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tae posted:

The opening's been out for a long while.
Yes, the opening's been out for awhile. This variation is 2x the length and a slower beat. Maybe ending?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 23, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Shiny777 posted:

I haven't gone deep into reading absolutely everything and missed out on the cutscene dump, but looking at the endings, so 8 same-sex S support options, and two of them give no ending, two end platonically, and one's kinda ambiguous. Really? Basically everything I'm hearing about the rest of the game is sounding great so them fumbling these isn't like, a game-ruiner or anything, and maybe the execution'll redeem it, but right now I'm facepalming hard and wondering how IS managed to gently caress this up.

Read the A supports for non-byleths

support "level" doesn't mean much in this context

dorothea/petra is a good example, as is linhardt/caspar. they did end up going the route of "these characters are bi, and these are their options" - it's just there are a lot more f/f than m/m supports of that nature, as alois and gilbert aren't actually gay and caspar is only somewhat implied such if paired with linhardt

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 23, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I've read over the different routes and I'm very interested in figuring out how (practicalities of a route) the 'church' / do not side with Edelgard route goes given that one is PART of the BE route overall to begin with. Unless I've read that story beat wrong, it seems very weird that you'd still have BE students and Edel since you're not supporting her crusade against the church?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Iymarra posted:

I've read over the different routes and I'm very interested in figuring out how (practicalities of a route) the 'church' / do not side with Edelgard route goes given that one is PART of the BE route overall to begin with. Unless I've read that story beat wrong, it seems very weird that you'd still have BE students and Edel since you're not supporting her crusade against the church?

Presumably, Edelgard (and likely Hubert?) leaves, and Byleth being the character's professor/perhaps their abilities (Sothis etc) being well-known holds enough sway over the other students that they stick with you. Losing Edelgard and Hubert is made up for by Church and Knights of Seiros members joining (and conversely any of those might leave if you choose Edelgard's side). So, it then becomes Byleth, the remaining students, and the Church/Knights, vs. Edelgard (+Hubert) and the Empire?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I understand why everyone is liking these endings with moral ambiguity and complex characters. Fates burned y'all pretty hard. But... is it wrong that I was kind of hoping for a good ending where nobody dies and I can use all the characters I want in whatever ways I want? I wouldn't mind a postgame sandbox-y mode where you have access to everyone from the start (the game's story doesn't change, it pretends you only have the characters from your house, but it lets you check out supports, build characters in new ways, etc.).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Otome emblem BABY!!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Has any place compiled all the leaks or is it still just random vids and snippets, everyone being so considerate when I actually wanna get spoiled dammit. :argh:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've not looked at the spoilers yet, but I just wanna know how many different endings/routes there are. I assume it's 2 endings per house?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Avalerion posted:

Has any place compiled all the leaks or is it still just random vids and snippets, everyone being so considerate when I actually wanna get spoiled dammit. :argh:

No single compilation yet as far as I know, but here's the stuff I've got links to:

Two text dumps and some of the cutscenes

https://pastebin.com/dXtyrvkB
https://pastebin.com/QiFxU3Da
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEsb0b7WB-L-dLJwSBgvHQ

Dumps for the story and supports apparently exist, but I'm not seeing links to them anywhere and skimming/ctrl+f-ing for relevant bits is about the most I'm willing to engage with 4chan for this stuff.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Miftan posted:

I've not looked at the spoilers yet, but I just wanna know how many different endings/routes there are. I assume it's 2 endings per house?

From what I can tell it looks to be Black Eagles with Edelgard, Black Eagles without Edelgard, Blue Lions and Golden Deer as routes in the game.

That said, I think the season pass has its own route coming next year doesn't it? Or is that just like a handful of chapters sidestory sort of deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Miftan posted:

Seems to be four routes total, with the Black Eagles route being the one to have a major branch near the end of the first part.