Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Question for those that have played through the entire game: is it possible to beat the main story mode using pretty much anyone, or does the game require you to use the 'best' characters in the game?

I'm having a lot of fun playing as Star Lord, but I've played similar games where I picked a character that seemed fun but half-way through the game I'll need certain characters to progress and I'll need to replace my leveled up squad with someone with a skillset the game decided was more important.

Good news for you; Star Lord's toolset makes him one of few characters who are able to use synergy attacks by himself through his whirlwind ability, and whirlwinds have some of the nicest Synergy Attacks in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

ihatepants posted:

There is some power creep, where it seems like pretty much all the late-game characters are generally better than the early game ones, but I think you can play with any team you want and still beat the game. Also, good news, Star Lord is one of the better characters in the game and remains useful throughout because he has a whirlwind synergy. It’d be nice to see a wiki for each character at some point, because individual character stat growth matters more for higher difficulties/trials than it does for the campaign on mighty/friendly.

The game gets easier as it goes on, IMO, because a lot of the difficulties early in the game are due to not having all your abilieis to do synergies all the time and because of not having upgrades (like EP cost decrease) for the abilities.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Good news for you; Star Lord's toolset makes him one of few characters who are able to use synergy attacks by himself through his whirlwind ability, and whirlwinds have some of the nicest Synergy Attacks in the entire game.

This is all really useful information, thanks!

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 22, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just unlocked the purple arrow and he's really good, probably my favorite shoto right now, that piercing damage yo! Also, it's fun maximizing his first three shots with out triggering the fourth spread shot via roll cancel, so you're always dpsing optimally.

Currently running, Ms Mahvel, Gwen, Bowguy, and Hulk.

At first i didn't like hulk, but then i figured out you're supposed to chain his dodge and jump, he becomes a monster in battle.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 22, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hulk's crowd control is so good it's sometimes tough to take him out of a team

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I may have missed it in the thread, but when I find a rift in story mode, do I need to go into it to add it to the Infinity Trials screen? I'd rather not disrupt the flow of the main game if I can avoid it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

This ultimo\giant man fight is really bad. I like having excuses to fight, but needing 4 players to pour on Ultimo during the stun phase is dumb as the more characters you lose, the longer it's gonna take.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Seedge posted:

I may have missed it in the thread, but when I find a rift in story mode, do I need to go into it to add it to the Infinity Trials screen? I'd rather not disrupt the flow of the main game if I can avoid it.

No. You just need to see what it is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

This ultimo\giant man fight is really bad. I like having excuses to fight, but needing 4 players to pour on Ultimo during the stun phase is dumb as the more characters you lose, the longer it's gonna take.

the AI always used the turrets whenever I did, I had zero problems with that fight since it was mostly just "kill mobs then use the turrets"

so far the only boss that has given me a real loving problem was Kingpin, if only because the leveling system is loving whack and simply leveling up 1 or 2 levels took the fight from "getting one-shotted immediately" to "got through the battle not even getting incapacitated once"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

the AI always used the turrets whenever I did, I had zero problems with that fight since it was mostly just "kill mobs then use the turrets"

so far the only boss that has given me a real loving problem was Kingpin, if only because the leveling system is loving whack and simply leveling up 1 or 2 levels took the fight from "getting one-shotted immediately" to "got through the battle not even getting incapacitated once"

The ai either waits too long or it sometimes gets stuck on me, meaning phases continue way too long. The way they break off allowing damage on the boss between phases really hurts when it's the only time you can hurt him and hulk is doing the running man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

The ai either waits too long or it sometimes gets stuck on me, meaning phases continue way too long. The way they break off allowing damage on the boss between phases really hurts when it's the only time you can hurt him and hulk is doing the running man.

the way I manage 4 characters boils down to "fight and attack and use specials til my Energy is gone then switch to the next character, rinse repeat" though sometimes there are def a few characters that I feel I have to control for them to be of use like Spider-Man (using the Binding abilities at key groups) or Iron Fist (who has some of the fastest-executing Synergy moves in the game so I want to be in charge of those activating)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What difficulty is everyone playing on? It sounds like Friendly is brain dead simple yet Mighty is too hard and micro managed?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Mighty is Nintendo Hard, it's fine. Friendly is for when you're co-oping with 3 other people and everyone's been drinking.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

the way I manage 4 characters boils down to "fight and attack and use specials til my Energy is gone then switch to the next character, rinse repeat" though sometimes there are def a few characters that I feel I have to control for them to be of use like Spider-Man (using the Binding abilities at key groups) or Iron Fist (who has some of the fastest-executing Synergy moves in the game so I want to be in charge of those activating)

Yeah, I try to do that with bowguy right now, but think I need to start swapping depending on health. Those screen filling attacks are the worst part and the ai just eats them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Woozy posted:

Mighty is Nintendo Hard, it's fine. Friendly is for when you're co-oping with 3 other people and everyone's been drinking.

I kinda feel like this is one of those games where you're supposed to start on the easiest difficulty, then work your way up as you go and as you learn the ins and outs of individual characters and the synergy system.

Definitely liking Elsa Bloodstone more than I expected to.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Took a quick look and didn't see this asked, apologies if it was already...

What controllers can I use for this? Will the Joycons and my Pro get me three players?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

omnibobb posted:

What controllers can I use for this? Will the Joycons and my Pro get me three players?

if you have two sets of joycons yeah, you can mix/match either of those up to 4 players with no issues

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The (late game spoiler)Dr. Strange fight is a real bastard. I feel like I’m exploding or getting hit by fireballs 99% of the time, and the AI doesn’t know what to do either :argh:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

omnibobb posted:

You can play with a single joy-con. I haven’t tried it, but on the control options screen it seemed like all they had to do was remove camera controls and make character switching use the analog stick click.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The Duke posted:

The (late game spoiler)Dr. Strange fight is a real bastard. I feel like I’m exploding or getting hit by fireballs 99% of the time, and the AI doesn’t know what to do either :argh:

Most of the boss fights have felt like some kind of bullshit. I just got to the Morales/Gwen/Ms. Marvel and they've eaten through rez tokens on the assholes I'm not controlling. If I so much as try to retaliate, even carefully it feels like the AI turns all 3 of them on the controlled character, my hits never stagger, but their hits always do. My 7 year old quit playing because he got angry before me. It's a fuckin superhero game! Who thought early-game fights being Dark Soulsy was a good idea?

Guess we're stuffing the hubris and picking the 'easy' setting, even though the second (and only other) difficulty setting kind of implied it was 'normal' difficulty.

Woozy posted:

Mileage is going to vary I guess.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think I might be the only person who likes that this game provides some sort of a challenge. I've played through the other 4 games each and probably only died when my cousins threw me off cliffs, it's kinda nice to actually have to think about the combat in this one

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

When do I get to drive the van?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zelder posted:

I think I might be the only person who likes that this game provides some sort of a challenge. I've played through the other 4 games each and probably only died when my cousins threw me off cliffs, it's kinda nice to actually have to think about the combat in this one

When ever I get beat, i just roll back a few chapters with my team and work back to the fight. really fun just punching stuff, I'm almost kind of annoyed with the large boss fights making you do gimmicks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here’s a list of what stat most characters basic attacks scale with. Some aren’t very intuitive(Psylocke’s scale with Strength for example)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAU3/comments/cglhyj/basic_attack_damage_types/

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really like this game.

Ms. Marvel rules and she let's me simultaneously pretend to be a Luffy and a Beyblade

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So mine was here when I got home from work.

My internet is rear end because to download the patch its been nearly 2 hours now. Though it says 30 minutes.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

RatHat posted:

Here’s a list of what stat most characters basic attacks scale with. Some aren’t very intuitive(Psylocke’s scale with Strength for example)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAU3/comments/cglhyj/basic_attack_damage_types/

The gently caress Psylocke's basic attacks scale from Strength

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Venom - Light Strength/Heavy Mastery

I know this makes sense because his heavy is just throwing his liquid stuff at them but he's a giant muscular thing with Super Strength and anything other than Strength just seems wrong to me

This is useful though because last night I was certain Psylocke was mastery and gave her my +500 mastery ISO-8 but I guess I need to chuck on a strength one now as well just to help out the basic attacks a little

Centusin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 23, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Dr. Strange is a really weird character. He plays completely different than everyone else in that he's mainly about CC instead of damage(which makes him really bad against bosses). Also he's not a ranged fighter like you'd think.

Also I fought the Dr. Strange boss and found him really easy, but I had heard people complaining he was hard so I thought maybe I was overleveled? Then Phase 2 started. :stare: Got him on the 2nd try though, same with the boss after him. Cool fights.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 23, 2019

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Scylo posted:

I know this makes sense because his heavy is just throwing his liquid stuff at them but he's a giant muscular thing with Super Strength and anything other than Strength just seems wrong to me

This is useful though because last night I was certain Psylocke was mastery and gave her my +500 mastery ISO-8 but I guess I need to chuck on a strength one now as well just to help out the basic attacks a little

One of his skills keys of Mastery as well.

On another note, unlocked Loki and cleared Mighty difficulty yesterday. Now to level him up to use him in my main team.

Oh, and on Dr. Strange, it was weird using him, but his light and heavy attacks (and Flames of Faltine) is what I use for bosses.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

bushisms.txt posted:

When ever I get beat, i just roll back a few chapters with my team and work back to the fight. really fun just punching stuff, I'm almost kind of annoyed with the large boss fights making you do gimmicks.

TecmoKoei logo in the boot animations, of course there's going to be just brainless grinding. As a Warriors game fan, I'm actually not complaining, just a bit mad at myself that I didn't figure this out myself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

lol I didn't even know you could do this, I'd have just done that instead of doing the same few Infinity trials. I assumed using chapter select would gently caress with things too much. If I replay like, chapter 2 while I'm on chapter 5, does that mean I can go back to 5 once I'm done and won't have to play ch.3/4 again?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody tried playing on Superior difficulty yet? Does anything change besides the level scaling?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

Anybody tried playing on Superior difficulty yet? Does anything change besides the level scaling?

New Infinity Rifts for the Lambda Trials and a lesser amount of treasures (though they come with better rewards).

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
How bout XP differences, anyone know bout that? I'm most of the way through Mighty, thinking about doing a run on easy for the true cosmic experience, see if I missed any stuff, and get some levels. Less inclined if the XP sucks tho.

:gaz: Game is a little clunky, but fun :gaz:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

XP and levels in this game are weird since there can be a 1 or 2 level difference in getting destroyed or doing fine in some sections. So far I've been doing ok cycling through a few characters constantly though I've quickly learned that when the game hands you a new character, you should put them in your team immediately since they'll likely be above your current levels and thus will be a big help for incoming fights.

Psylocke is a loving monster for the entire X-men section mainly because her psychic knife ability might be one of the best Stagger damages in the whole game right now, and all her abilities are great. The Magneto battle I just barely won though since I'm an idiot and took too long to realize I needed to destroy Sentinels to get those cores to use against him.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I decided to use all my xp cores to make my team over levelled and the game is much more fun for me now, Psylocke and Venom are destroying everything

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scylo posted:

I decided to use all my xp cores to make my team over levelled and the game is much more fun for me now, Psylocke and Venom are destroying everything

Venom Fang/Psychic Knife are two of the best synergy/stagger abilities in the game imo and they're "starter" moves too so they're probably 2 of the best characters to have.

In a game where Stagger is important, Spider-Man's Bind stuff is more about mob control so I thought he was poo poo-tier, but controlling the other enemies is important too + his heavy attack is probably one of the fastest and safest in the game which can help plow through heavy enemies without spending Energy. Wish he had less Web moves but I made him my scrappy speedy brawler with ISO-8s for 10% increase in damage for Light/Heavy attacks; that's been working real well since he's one of the quickest attackers you can have. It's cool how you can eventually find a good niche even for characters who have weird movesets.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The real winner in this game is Ms. Marvel. I doubt many knew her, I knew of her, but just that she was muslim Captain marvel or something. But now I want any and all media of her. She's really dope.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wasp is my unexpected new fave because her abilities and kit are awesome and I constantly love to use the "gigantic fidget spinner" synergy attack. I upgraded a bunch of "health recovered after an Xtreme" pips into the upgrade screen and her Xtreme seems to net me the most health back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

The real winner in this game is Ms. Marvel. I doubt many knew her, I knew of her, but just that she was muslim Captain marvel or something. But now I want any and all media of her. She's really dope.

I am a huge Ms Marvel fan and from what was talked about at comic con, she plays a big role in that new Avengers game coming next year