Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Dude I don't even like to tell people what I do. Why do you think this job is prestigious?

My friends wife works for a huge multinational law firm and is a super important tax attorney. So important that they shipped her off to Zurich to work six months after her baby was born. Which remained in the states.

She was recently telling me she thought my job was more prestigious and more like real law and I said in the nicest way possible "what the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Family business dude. Oh my god, if you don't want it, I'll take it. So long as it's not animal cruelty, I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A caveat sincx - do you have a clear sense of how stable and long term viable the family business is?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sincx posted:

I recently changed jobs to a higher paying one and it sucks.

I'm in the process of (maybe) going back to my old job. The low salary is acceptable, but not ideal.

Alternatively, I can join the family business. There's a new opportunity for expansion that my parents would only want to do if I were to join them, due to the lack of additional bandwidth and trusted people otherwise.

nobody can tell you what to do because we lack a lot of key information and what this ultimately boils down to is personal preference between money, job enviroment, and location. but here's what it boils down to:

choice one (existing job): clearly, this isn't working out. you like the pay, you hate the job. what you have not made clear however is why you hate it, and if that hate would translate to another high-paying job.
choice two (old job): i am suspicious of this. first, you left for a reason, that reason hasn't changed. second, if it was low-paying but high prestige, you need to cash that prestige out at some point, and after seven years in the job sounds like the time to do it. if they're fine with being a landing pad for a year or two, whatever, but you probably can't go back there a third time (but you sound like you may be already too far down to pull back out and then try to come back in a year or two).
choice three (family business): not wanting to do it because it's not prestigious is dumb, who cares. what would be relevant is (a) do you really want to work there (like, is it something you'd find interesting, would working with your family be fun/grating, etc) and (b) move from where to where - how much would you like/dislike the change (for example if you're moving from oklahoma to new york city you should jump on that if the reverse then god almighty what are you doing, etc). tons of people leave the legal profession after the better part of a decade and move on, there's nothing wrong with it - but you need to make sure the industry you're moving to is somewhere you want to be in. if the family business doesn't work out would you want to stay in that industry?

i would tend towards choice 4: look for a new job that isn't old or current job, or choice 3. choice 2 sounds like a bad choice you're just doing because it's easy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Feces Starbro used to claim he got laid using his bar card but he was also in better shape than any non-Yuns denizen of this thread

I miss that guy

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Going with a combination of these two:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Move file drawer to wall to the right. Flip desk 180 degrees and put back to window. Set up couch and chairs with small table on the other end.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

Going with a combination of these two: using brick and mortar to entomb myself in my own office, Cask of Amontillado-style, and weeping piteously as I lay down under my desk to let the maggots claim me as their prize

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Soothing Vapors posted:

Feces Starbro used to claim he got laid using his bar card

Best use of bar card:

quote:

Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament is located in vacation destinations across the United States (SC, GA, FL, CA, NJ, IL, DC, TX) and Canada. It offers Bar members a 25 percent discount on tickets and 10 percent discount on merchandise. . . . The offer is not valid with any other discount or for special shows/events. Bar members should mention this discount when making a reservation and present the card upon arrival along with their Bar card.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Soothing Vapors posted:

yo SlyFrog my sadbrains brother you ever visibly bum out your therapist? after this morning I'm thinking about turning my therapy sessions into a minigame where I see if I can get this girl to go Budd Dwyer mid-appointment

It's just not good therapy until the therapist books his own therapy appointment after your therapy.

I actually have had therapists and psychiatrists come to the realization that their tools weren't going to work, and they didn't exactly know what to do. Like literally a, "I know you're doing the work, I know you've gamely tried everything I've suggested, you're engaged, listen, and try to put these things into practice, but it's not helping and I don't really have any answers," discussion.

The look in their eyes/concealed panic on their faces X sessions in is almost worth the price of admission, when they realize that explaining to me that impostor syndrome exists, there are medications that can help me (when I then explain to them that yes, I know, I've tried that one, yes, that one too, yes, I've tried them in combination, no, they have not helped), and that I should get good diet and exercise (and then they realize I'm in decent shape) is not some novelty to me that is going to solve the problem.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

nobody can tell you what to do because we lack a lot of key information and what this ultimately boils down to is personal preference between money, job enviroment, and location. but here's what it boils down to:

choice one (existing job): clearly, this isn't working out. you like the pay, you hate the job. what you have not made clear however is why you hate it, and if that hate would translate to another high-paying job.
choice two (old job): i am suspicious of this. first, you left for a reason, that reason hasn't changed. second, if it was low-paying but high prestige, you need to cash that prestige out at some point, and after seven years in the job sounds like the time to do it. if they're fine with being a landing pad for a year or two, whatever, but you probably can't go back there a third time (but you sound like you may be already too far down to pull back out and then try to come back in a year or two).
choice three (family business): not wanting to do it because it's not prestigious is dumb, who cares. what would be relevant is (a) do you really want to work there (like, is it something you'd find interesting, would working with your family be fun/grating, etc) and (b) move from where to where - how much would you like/dislike the change (for example if you're moving from oklahoma to new york city you should jump on that if the reverse then god almighty what are you doing, etc). tons of people leave the legal profession after the better part of a decade and move on, there's nothing wrong with it - but you need to make sure the industry you're moving to is somewhere you want to be in. if the family business doesn't work out would you want to stay in that industry?

i would tend towards choice 4: look for a new job that isn't old or current job, or choice 3. choice 2 sounds like a bad choice you're just doing because it's easy.

this is the best advice imo

prestige is worthless, most people will hate you anyway by virtue of your profession and I've never been able to buy anything with prestigebucks. If that's how you measure work satisfaction I think there are other issues at play. Focus on quality of life, how much you enjoy your job, and pay. The poo poo that matters.

TBH I would kill for a family business opportunity that was viable I might enjoy. I'd at least like to have the option.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 23, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SlyFrog posted:

It's just not good therapy until the therapist books his own therapy appointment after your therapy.

I actually have had therapists and psychiatrists come to the realization that their tools weren't going to work, and they didn't exactly know what to do. Like literally a, "I know you're doing the work, I know you've gamely tried everything I've suggested, you're engaged, listen, and try to put these things into practice, but it's not helping and I don't really have any answers," discussion.

The look in their eyes/concealed panic on their faces X sessions in is almost worth the price of admission, when they realize that explaining to me that impostor syndrome exists, there are medications that can help me (when I then explain to them that yes, I know, I've tried that one, yes, that one too, yes, I've tried them in combination, no, they have not helped), and that I should get good diet and exercise (and then they realize I'm in decent shape) is not some novelty to me that is going to solve the problem.

I know what can help you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

this is the best advice imo

prestige is worthless, most people will hate you anyway by virtue of your profession and I've never been able to buy anything with prestigebucks. If that's how you measure work satisfaction I think there are other issues at play. Focus on quality of life, how much you enjoy your job, and pay. The poo poo that matters.

TBH I would kill for a family business opportunity that was viable I might enjoy. I'd at least like to have the option.

also, not to put too fine a point on it, but making lots of money is its own form of prestigious. not with the same people, true, but you'll probably open as many if not more doors with "i make a lot of money" prestige and get as much if not more random respect from people with it

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

sincx posted:

Okay, advice needed.

I worked with a number of smallish family businesses (revenues in the millions - father/son/grandson ownership combinations, things like that).

To even remotely think that being an attorney is somehow more prestigious than that is ridiculous. A lot of those guys have it made. They are literally the shot callers at their companies. The guys who get to decide which way things are going. The guys who get to wander around the plant and say, "What are we doing here," before wandering off to go play golf in the afternoon if they feel like it.

They also often really have carved something out of nothing, and created their own little niche in the world. Further, I have found that prestige really doesn't matter that much to them. Instead, what matters to them is running their own company, making a poo poo ton of money, living a pretty drat good private life, and figuring out what to name their second boat on the gulf coast, because they can't just reuse the name for the boat at the northern cabin, that would just be silly.

Like, most of the established family business people I know have really good lives, with stable businesses that will never make them Bezos levels of money, but make them those quiet millionaires (over time) who just buy what they want and do what they want.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The ability to take vacations whenever the hell you want is reason enough.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

also, not to put too fine a point on it, but making lots of money is its own form of prestigious. not with the same people, true, but you'll probably open as many if not more doors with "i make a lot of money" prestige and get as much if not more random respect from people with it

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Vox Nihili posted:

And opportunities

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vox Nihili posted:

You want prestige? Make a lot of money and get a wing of a hospital/museum named after your father's father. (Not you, that would be gauche. But make sure they have your last name so they know it was you)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

You want prestige? Make a lot of money and get a wing of a hospital/museum named after your father's father. (Not you, that would be gauche. But make sure they have your last name so they know it was you)

make up an ancestor who had the same name as you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

make up an ancestor who had the same name as you
This is why the truly rich are Sir Douche Douchington XXII. You can just name any building Douche Douchington Hall and be done with it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I try not to think of prestige but I’ll strenuously assert I have more prestige then some capitalist warehouse man.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

The look in their eyes/concealed panic on their faces X sessions in is almost worth the price of admission
lol I knew you'd get me :love:

this girl is fresh out of shrink school and I'm pretty sure I can wreck her life

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

I try not to think of prestige but I’ll strenuously assert I have more prestige then some capitalist warehouse man.

As a licensed, practicing attorney you automatically score 80 points of 'stige on the 100-point scale (before any applicable penalties, taxes, or depreciation).

Unfortunately, only other practicing attorneys recognize this scale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It seems to be the day for career questions.

I've spent the past decade plus working in for a nonprofit doing civil rights law. I've done some good work there and it's been a pleasant, low stress, positive working environment with great benefits and leave policies etc. -- kindof a holy grail of legal jobs -- but the $$ pay is crap (worse than the local PD's office or Social Services) and there's zero room for upward mobility due to the organization's structure.

I was casually looking for a career change for a while but for a variety of reasons -- the increasing difficulty of civil rights litigation given the Trumpification of the courts, my own personal need to advance my career, etc., I stepped up my search over the past few months.

Net result, got two job offers today; one at a different nonprofit where I'd be doing similar work to my current -- at similarly low pay -- comfortable working environment, etc., and one at the local public defenders office, which would be a field change for me (civil to criminal) and likely a drastic increase in workload and work stress, but higher pay and likely much better overall future career prospects.

Anyway, point being, what's it like working as a public defender and is there anything I should know going in? (I already have lots of experience working with prisoners and visiting prisons, just not on criminal issues).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyway, point being, what's it like working as a public defender and is there anything I should know going in? (I already have lots of experience working with prisoners and visiting prisons, just not on criminal issues).

This really depends on the location. How do you like trial?

One thing that bothered me was the general unpredictability. Due to court overcrowding and the volume, it was really hard to know until Friday afternoon whether you'd spend the whole weekend prepping a trial or having nothing to do. You're going to answer ready on a bunch of cases, some will get the deal you want, some will be dismissed either on that day or right before the jury walks in, some will no have a courtroom and get continued, and maybe one will go. Maybe.
I really enjoyed being in trial, but the prep combined with not knowing exactly when it would happen was annoying as hell. Particularly when you spend the weekend obsessing about the case, only to have the DA dump it right before in lims start.
Looking back, it was really bad for me. I gained a lot of weight because I didn't o on bike rides and didn't do much socializing. Some people are better at this than me.
But when I was actually at work, it was intoxicating. Your co-workers will be the literal best. Nothing gets the blood flowing like a trial. Winning a suppression motion makes you feel like loving god -- I remember winning the first one and the DA dismissed and explaining to my client his case was just gone. It was the best.
I kinda want to go back, but I'll gain 80lbs and get diabetes.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 23, 2019

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Law Megathread: Gain 80lbs and get diabetes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nm posted:

How do you like trial?

Currently, I have a kinda weird relationship to trial work. I really enjoy it on the rare occasions I get to do it, because almost everything I do settles long before that point and because we don't bring a case unless we're virtually certain it's a slam dunk. Conversely though I tend to find the process of prepping for trial immensely annoying because it's all giant waste of time given that I only brought the case knowing that the other side should rapidly settle. Once I'm up there clowning on the other side, of course that's fun. Difference between the work of learning your lines and the fun of being on stage.

I'm kinda expecting that attitude to change if I take the PD job since, well, I kinda doubt I 'll keep my unblemished win record though!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How about the prestige of every time you take your car to get the oil changed, or go to the doctor's office, or buy a house, or hire a contractor to replace your roof, or whatever and they ask what you do for a living, you've developed your canned answer of, "I'm a lawyer. But not that kind, lol." in response to that split-second look of "Oh.. will this guy sue me or gently caress me over if he's not happy? Should I even work on his stuff?"

And then later having all those guys ask you what to do about their 3rd DUI conviction, or their Aunt stealing all their grandpa's stuff right after the funeral.

Ahhh, bathe in the prestige.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My canned answer is “I do law stuff for the commonwealth”

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I respect the poo poo out of PDs fwiw, I would never want to be one, I think their job, pay, benefits, and work habits are suicide-inducing, but I respect them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I tell people that if they have a dollar, I have a talent.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

My canned answer is “I do law stuff for the commonwealth”

One of my coworkers just tells people he's a panhandler, so he can keep his dignity.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

GrandmaParty posted:

Someday GrandmaParty is going to be on trial for actual prostitution and I will be there to read these posts to the jury.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
All I’m getting from this thread is that if I pass the bar I should avoid all temptation to actually practice. Which I’ll probably end up doing and the cycle will begin anew.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

sincx posted:

edit: my legal training has been tremendously useful in helping my parents with many aspects of the business, of course, and will continue to be helpful if I were to join full-time. But still it seems like such a waste to stop practicing law after all I've been through.

Just treat your new job as the retainer for your legal expertise.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

Another great thread title

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Discendo Vox posted:

Another great thread title

It's a drag queen quote. So stolen from a profession with more prestige and dignity

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

It's a drag queen quote. So stolen from a profession with more prestige and dignity

drat, shoulda guessed

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I have tons of clients who practiced law for a handful of years and then left to start/join/lead a business and have made tons more money with a better lifestyle doing that. They're great clients for a few years because they remember how miserable being a lawyer is. Later on they are crappy clients because they remember that lawyers respond instantaneously over the weekend and they stop caring about interfering with your life.

Also they're interesting clients because they know just how hard they can push you on negotiating the bill.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This is phenomenal from start to finish, I take extra joy in the eviction part    https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/bruce-hay-paternity-trap-maria-pia-shuman-mischa-haider.html 

Also where are the fed jobs at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

Also where are the fed jobs at

USAJOBS.gov, but agencies will also have "immediate" postings on their website you apply to via e-mail, aka PUBLIC FLYER postings.

Depending on the agency, it does not hurt to call their Human Capital/HR lines and inquire. Depending on who you talk to, they can hook you up if they like you.

If people think it's worth the post, I can go into my interpretation of how to navigate and best take advantage of the labyrinthine process.