Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Addamere posted:

Trip report: chest tight, stomach in knots, going outside sucks.

Got hit with waves of anxiety out of nowhere all of a sudden, on the way back from what I'd planned to do. Can't point to anything that would trigger it, but it felt awful and I was super glad and relieved almost the instant I stepped back in my apartment. I can't imagine I've spontaneously developed agoraphobia or social anxiety, and it's nowhere near hot enough outside for me to have been stricken physically ill. It has to be some kind of subconscious thing secondary to being out among people again but I'm drawing a blank on what it could be.

Anyway I'm back inside now and safe under my weighted blanket. :comfyoot:

Hopefully it'll get better as you go outside more frequently? I kind of had the same thing the other day, stepped outside and got hit by the reality of the fact that i hadn't been outside in awhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

How do I become a mentally healthy apocalypse prepper

I am at least half-serious and I commute between a hellfire/flood-prone zone and a soon to be earthquake disaster area, but I also think about how things will go down in my lifetime a lot and wanna move to the Arctic

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I loved day dreaming about heading to Alaska and living off the land, but I'm familiar with a guy from my former area in iowa that did that to hunt hookers. Good times.

First, google "dick proenneke pdf" and the first result should be from the national parks service. dude was a good survivor. I'd start there and follow suit

"the final frontiersman" is by an outside observer of the korth family, which is also kind of neat.

im by no means a prepper because i am all-in on dying as soon as I can, but since you have arctic dreams like I did, those two books will show you how hard life up there can be, especially if there aren't planes dropping off beans and stuff.

otherwise keep some stable foodstuffs and plenty of water on hand and maybe a handy book or two

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
legit artic survival is incredibly hard. that said, it's a lot easier when all snow and ice is melted!

I am feeling incredibly good right now. I was really anxious and work was stressing me out on Saturday but I followed all my (healthy) coping skills and I'm terrified that this is like, a fluke or a trick. I'm going to talk about it with my therapist today because I feel like this feeling ( that something will go wrong) is irrational and anxiety talking.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

legit artic survival is incredibly hard. that said, it's a lot easier when all snow and ice is melted!

I am feeling incredibly good right now. I was really anxious and work was stressing me out on Saturday but I followed all my (healthy) coping skills and I'm terrified that this is like, a fluke or a trick. I'm going to talk about it with my therapist today because I feel like this feeling ( that something will go wrong) is irrational and anxiety talking.

it is, no one can predict the future. happiness isn't a zero sum game, you don't deserve/end up with misery because you're too happy. on the contrary happiness begets more happiness most of the time

in other news I haven't had a good night's sleep since the last time I took gaba and the hangover from that wasn't worth it. so I've got nothing to do at work and am IK'ing CSPAM on three hours sleep lmao

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Today kinda fuckin sucked!! I got a severe allergic reaction to my lunch and had to leave work to go to urgent care and im lucky to be able to pay for that kind of poo poo but now everyone wants me to get allergy tests done and that seems like a big loving hassle, also I cant eat either carrots or soy anymore and I dont know which one has decided to end my life.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Automatonic Water posted:

Today kinda fuckin sucked!! I got a severe allergic reaction to my lunch and had to leave work to go to urgent care and im lucky to be able to pay for that kind of poo poo but now everyone wants me to get allergy tests done and that seems like a big loving hassle, also I cant eat either carrots or soy anymore and I dont know which one has decided to end my life.

felt. I shotgunned a big ol smoothie with hemp milk to try new things and whoops forgot I am literally the worlds most allergic person to grass

right around the time it felt like someone had scrubbed my tongue with fiberglass is when I realized what was going on and took benedryl to head that off at the pass

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
my landlord lost my july rent check, told me about it a week into the month, so i wrote him a new one and used my "ONE TIME LATE FEE FORGIVENESS" and now two weeks later he emails me saying my check bounced. why the delay? and i know i'm close to broke but i thought i had enough. so now i gotta go to the bank tomorrow and maybe i'll have to beg my parents for money too

so i'm stress eating fruit loops from the box

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

got any sevens posted:

my landlord lost my july rent check, told me about it a week into the month, so i wrote him a new one and used my "ONE TIME LATE FEE FORGIVENESS" and now two weeks later he emails me saying my check bounced. why the delay? and i know i'm close to broke but i thought i had enough. so now i gotta go to the bank tomorrow and maybe i'll have to beg my parents for money too

man that’s ridiculous, I’m not surprised the landlord made you use a one time forgiveness for his gently caress up but it’s still extremely uncool

I feel petty as heck about this compared to many other posters in this thread but it’s really messing with me. I’m finally starting to feel comfortable and on the cusp of content with this full time job thing after about a month and a half, I’m feeling competent and doing my job well. technically my office is shared but the only other person with my job title works from home, and so far I’ve been in two one person offices - literally everyone in the department, including the administrative assistant for my sub department, has their own office, so I’m already an outlier. someone mentioned they will be moving me AGAIN to another floor and my direct actual boss doesn’t seem to know anything about it, she just keeps saying I’ll get an office soon enough that I’ll actually be able to stay in.

but it turns out the new room upstairs is some kind of open space for me and maybe someone else, so I’ll be switching from my office to a public environment with no privacy, which has me feeling really unhappy and singled out. everyone else has a space, and when I don’t have people around, I’m very productive and make a lot of progress on our infinitely updating pile of tasks. when my office mate is in for half a day even, I barely get half as much done, and I just hate having to alternate between working and interactions when my job is doing these certain tasks as fast as possible.

it’s such a petty complaint because most people work in open offices or cubicles at least but I’m already getting paid pretty poorly and like, honest to god, one of the biggest draws about this job for me was knowing I’d have my own space like everyone else. I can’t do anything because I just started and I can’t apply to other jobs because I just started. before I found out about the imminent move I was doing pretty good but now I’m just a miserable anxious pile of frustration at my lack of agency in the thing that takes up all my time. there are so many worse things that could happen but for some reason a change like this is making me feel really bad.

I sort of miss being unemployed at least then the source of my misery wasn’t a moving target and I was theoretically attempting to do something about it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

If you're not already then exclusively use cashier's checks for rent from now on, and also rather than hand-deliver them have them sent via certified mail. This creates a very clear paper trail so that if he tries to gently caress you, it's obviously his fault. You'll still get evicted if he decides to throw a fuss, because gently caress renters and their rights, and have to deal with all that stress, but you'll have an open-and-shut case in court which you absolutely should pursue to gently caress him over for loving you over.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Frog Act posted:

I feel petty as heck about this compared to many other posters in this thread but it’s really messing with me.

I don't have any helpful advice for the rest of your post, but I wanted to speak to this. This is one of the more sneaky parts of mental illness, especially in the stuff related to depression. It can make you feel like your problems aren't real or aren't that bad compared to others, because you can see clearly in others that just seem like "the way things are" when you look at yourself. I didn't seek help for a long time because my sister has a more severe version of my same issues, so that meant I wasn't that bad and seeking help would just be me looking for attention and I just needed to suck it up and deal. Turns out no, that's not how it works.

So just remember: your feelings and struggles are valid, it's okay to talk about them, and you never need to apologize for having them.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Jul 23, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goon Danton posted:

I don't have any helpful advice for the rest of your post, but I wanted to speak to this. This is one of the more sneaky parts of mental illness, especially in the stuff related to depression. It can make you feel like your problems aren't real or aren't that bad compared to others, because you can see clearly in others that just seem like "the way things are" when you look at yourself. I didn't seek help for a long time because my sister has a more severe version of my same issues, so that meant I wasn't that bad and seeking help would just be me looking for attention and I just needed to suck it up and deal. Turns out no, that's not how it works.

So just remember: your feelings and struggles are valid, it's okay to talk about them, and you never need to apologize for having them.

A term to look up about this, if reading helps you, is the "shame spiral".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m hoping since my boss is an LCSW she’ll be understanding about my anxiety problems and the possibility of retaining an office like all the other employees. I just want to do my job without feeling tense and awful.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The cruelty is the point. :(

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I found a physician and therapist nearby that accepts my insurance so things were looking up, but just received notice from my health insurance that all my appointments were actually out of network, so I have to pay like $2000 out of pocket

Guess I'm not moving this year after all

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm exhausted, just going through the motions, and it's Tuesday morning. Hell of a way to start the week.

Marx Headroom posted:

I found a physician and therapist nearby that accepts my insurance so things were looking up, but just received notice from my health insurance that all my appointments were actually out of network, so I have to pay like $2000 out of pocket

Did they reject the claims? I'd got the therapist and tell them they're on the hook for it, since they either lied to you, or never actually checked with your insurance. Everything I've read or heard is that raising some kid of stink with the provider or the insurance company will at least get your bill lowered.

Or there's always the USA's national health system: gofundme.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just saw my primary care about ssri and rescue med

Wellbutrin and Xanax baby

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Boris Johnson is now our PM, and the weather is too hot. Can I have some sympathy?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jollity Farm posted:

Boris Johnson is now our PM, and the weather is too hot. Can I have some sympathy?

Perfidious Albion finally gets theirs.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

:(

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Marx Headroom posted:

I would absolutely yell at both these parties to fight this. this briefly happened to me with my dentist office who does take my insurance but the individual dentist hadn't been "signed off" or something in the insurance system. they did all the leg work and got it taken care of.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Forgot to take my meds yesterday, but didn't feel too bad. Took them this morning like normal, and I'm getting clobbered with withdrawal symptoms. I feel like I might pass out or maybe barf, and those two are the same feeling somehow? Effexor is magical.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Failson posted:

I'm exhausted, just going through the motions, and it's Tuesday morning. Hell of a way to start the week.

This was me yesterday. I think some of it may be gabapentin hangover but most of it is that I need my goddamn CPAP today, not next week

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Failson posted:

Everything I've read or heard is that raising some kid of stink with the provider or the insurance company will at least get your bill lowered.

Consummate Professional posted:

I would absolutely yell at both these parties to fight this.

Thanks, I definitely will. It didn't occur to me to fight. I spent all day pacing around practicing an angry Medicare for All pitch to my cats instead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Marx Headroom posted:

Thanks, I definitely will. It didn't occur to me to fight. I spent all day pacing around practicing an angry Medicare for All pitch to my cats instead.

"All" includes cats too, socialized veterinarian medication now

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Fight that bill for sure.

Jollity Farm posted:

I'm not going to tell you that it gets better, but the shock will wear off, you feel normalish again, and after five thousand years of Trump, there are coping mechanisms.

Head to the trump thread and shout "BORPIS."

Oh and get a Cornetto to help with the heat.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I feel like crying but I'm not able to

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reality Sinner posted:

This happens to me a lot too, like I want to cry but I physically can't and it makes it worse because crying can be cathartic

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jollity Farm posted:

may your national nightmare be less stressful than ours. otoh, y'all gotta deal with brexit too, so godspeed

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Reality Sinner posted:

If you have someone you trust with this, try talking to them about why you feel like crying. That usually either helps me not feel like crying anymore or finally gets the tears flowing.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I've taken four months off after my sister died and moved back in with my parents. Was in a pretty deep depression but I feel like I'm coming out of it. Trying to figure out how to explain my gaps in employment to employers.

Wondering if anyone else went through something similar and came out of it alright - or any advice in general.

succ has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Jul 24, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

succ posted:

I've taken four months off after my sister died and moved back in with my parents. Was in a pretty deep depression but I feel like I'm coming out of it. Trying to figure out how to explain my gaps in employment to employers.

Wondering if anyone else went through something similar and came out of it alright - or any advice in general.

Bereavement of close family member is a pretty goddamn good reason to be out of work. You can always say you were taking time out to emotionally support your parents, even if it was the other way around.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Equeen posted:

job hunting sucks, but i do have an interview tomorrow. any (very) last minute tips to keep my nerves in check?

they're no better than you are. they're just there to do their job, and that is to hire good people, which includes you!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Flavius Aetass posted:

they're no better than you are. they're just there to do their job, and that is to hire good people, which includes you!

I thought my interview went well yesterday! Crossing my fingers that I get an offer soon.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

congrats! usually if you feel an interview went well that means it definitely did, being your own worst critic and all. what I always told myself after a good interview was that at least that was a success and a useful experience irrespective of how it ends up, since you can be the best interviewee and candidate and still end up passed over for indiscernible reasons

feeling very annoyed that my coworker who works from home has decided to spend six hours a day here this week to save ten minutes picking up her kids. my office is about 10x15 with one desk, super small, and with her sitting in here all day talking about random bullshit I get less than half as much work as usual done AND I don’t have any time to gently caress around. it’s absolutely the worst, instead of doing a bunch of stuff and being ahead of the game and playing Pokémon for an hour at the end of the day I have to spend all day in terminally boring conversation and look unproductive because it’s inescapable when the person is right next to you.

it’s so awesome how everyone else here has a space, even people theoretically below me in the totem pole, but I don’t. feeling hemmed in is very anxiety inducing, I really wish I had some control over my circumstances

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Jul 24, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
does anyone here have a way they feel better about themselves? my therapist wants me to try some self love this week and ive never felt good about myself
i think she means more mentally, because i already exercise and can dress fancier if i want or do other physical things like games

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Jul 25, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

got any sevens posted:

does anyone here have a way they feel better about themselves?

read goons.txt

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
e: actually no I'm not taking cheap shots in this thread

goons.txt is pretty good tho

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Jul 25, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I did it folks. I cried :blastu:

Left work early again today. Didnt eat lunch (I work evenings), didnt bring dinner. Was going to go out for lunch, but forgot my wallet. Oh and my driver's side window stopped working. One of the other guys was very nice and offered to help out.

I get to work and I feel fine but then I get going and start getting hungry (it's hot, physical work), and then my mood drops like a stone. I dont know if this is my brain being broken (I have dysthmia or chronic depressive disorder or whatever it's called) or my blood sugar dropping to the point where I start thinking about harming myself. It's very distracting. I see my family doctor on friday.

I have no motivation to cook, or to clean. Everything sucks and there's no point to it. It's a lot of effort to take care of myself, and work, and find time for my brain to relax. I can't balance it all.

Plus my dad is visiting next week and there's so much poo poo I need to get done. Makes me sad because he's getting older and my brain is constantly thinking of selfharm so i don't know how often I'll get to see him. I love my dad.

Weed can help with the anxiety and keep the dysthmia at bay but lately it's been giving me severe hangovers and I feel exhausted the next day. Part of me would like to stop but I don't know how I will ever enjoy anything without it (or rather, without something, it's just the least bad option). I can barely sit through a movie without something.

In conclusion ill have a spicy chicken combo thank u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

got any sevens posted:

does anyone here have a way they feel better about themselves? my therapist wants me to try some self love this week and ive never felt good about myself
i think she means more mentally, because i already exercise and can dress fancier if i want or do other physical things like games

Self love is a very personal thing so it's hard to answer. Do what makes you feel good. Doesnt have to be something you do alone. But do something out of the ordinary you dont normally do. One of my therapists would call it giving yourself a treat. You're doing something nice for yourself, something you wouldn't usually do.