Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

lmao "i wasn't being ableist i was quoting trump" is a real bad look

Welcome to 2019 where the pres is a mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
don't take it out on me. Go out and get Bernard Sanders elected my man. Hit the drat phone bank.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

don't take it out on me. Go out and get Bernard Sanders elected my man. Hit the drat phone bank.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Smythe posted:

Can't. Too busy projecting a golden egg around Assad

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Smythe posted:

Welcome to 2019 where the pres is a mother fucker

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Tankakern posted:

kde5 owns, use that. or if you're a sperg, use i3+kwin or something, who cares

(gnome3 is fine too, but better for small devices, not devices you do actual work on)

I couldnt figure out how to get kde 5 to not do the expose thing when pressing meta+number to bring up an app. this sounds vague but i'm not sure how to articulate it without screenshots.

the documentation was bad

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

got spice working over cockpit. cool.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hifi posted:

sum kinna dune thing... ??

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in my head it's more like the matrix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

sum kinna dune thing... ??

it's like dune but everyone involved is an obese ghola

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

i'm surprised those two projects are still alive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm surprised those two projects are still alive

what is dead may never die

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I couldnt figure out how to get kde 5 to not do the expose thing when pressing meta+number to bring up an app. this sounds vague but i'm not sure how to articulate it without screenshots.

the documentation was bad

It's probably under System Settings -> Desktop Effects.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

does one have to look for recommended laptops or is linux at the point in 2019 where i can get whatever dell or lenovo or preferred x86 laptop is and put linux on it without much trouble?

what's the best laptop that's not a mac?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Share Bear posted:

does one have to look for recommended laptops or is linux at the point in 2019 where i can get whatever dell or lenovo or preferred x86 laptop is and put linux on it without much trouble?

XPS15 is the usual recommendation although also look at the Vostro 7590: similar to the XPS, a little cheaper, most of the difference seems to be marque engineering though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

XPS13/15 is the usual, although also look at the Vostro 7590, similar to the XPS, a little cheaper, most of that seems to be marque engineering?

"xps" laptops are usually cheap-ified versions of their actual business laptops

vostro are consumer laptops with better warranties. so yes it is badge engineering but the opposite direction of what you implied

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Share Bear posted:

if it's really dell that's tragic

dell hasn't figured out some very basic poo poo like hinges (and how you shouldn't have to hold the bottom of the computer down to open it), where cameras should go (top of the screen to make you look better), or what to do if you pluggin a usb-c adapter that only supplies 85W (not park at the bios screen all night waiting for you to say it's okay to keep booting)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

lenovo and dell both sell specific skus with linux pre-loaded, or certified for linux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://fedoramagazine.org/introducing-fedora-coreos/

another red hat branding, cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"xps" laptops are usually cheap-ified versions of their actual business laptops

vostro are consumer laptops with better warranties. so yes it is badge engineering but the opposite direction of what you implied

the xps and some of the precision laptops are the same thing but the precisions have options for quadros. there are also precisions that are closer to Alienware machines that are larger with better cooling and options for xeon procs.

Vostro laptops are lower end parts and worse build quality. the warranties and service are the same for all of them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive yet to have any problems with lenovo for both work and personal laptops

i only get T and X series variants though

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
I'm typing this on an 11-year-old Lenovo Thinkpad x200, running Debian.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RobobTheGreat posted:

:bignews:

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Progressive JPEG posted:

ive yet to have any problems with lenovo for both work and personal laptops

i only get T and X series variants though

I've had a dozen+ lovely laptops over the years and the T and X lenovos have been by far the least lovely regardless of OS

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

RobobTheGreat posted:

which version? i hope it's like wheezy or something

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

flatcar Linux is promising to just keep making coreos instead of this fresh hell.

red hat won’t accept that no one wants this.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I installed linux on a 2019 Dell xps 13 9380 with uhd display

The finger print reader doesn't work - it's unsupported according to the dell website

More serious is that hibernate isn't enabled by default. Sleep works but not hibernate. apparently it can work if you mess around with it but going by forum threads it isn't that easy.

apart from that, everything worked with zero configuration. wifi, sounds, display scaling. battery life is excellent, about what I get on windows.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Soricidus posted:

which version? i hope it's like wheezy or something

version 10, "buster". so, up-to-date.

it's one thing to run old hardware. it's another thing to run old software that may be lacking security patches.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Amethyst posted:

The finger print reader doesn't work - it's unsupported according to the dell website
good, means someone can't get in with a piece of playdoh

quote:

More serious is that hibernate isn't enabled by default. Sleep works but not hibernate. apparently it can work if you mess around with it but going by forum threads it isn't that easy.
also good, as there's no scenario that isn't handled better by sleep or just shutting down the machine

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

good, means someone can't get in with a piece of playdoh

also good, as there's no scenario that isn't handled better by sleep or just shutting down the machine

I can see how his would be true, if you never leave the house.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im stuck waiting for this hibernate to complete before I can go anywhere, if only I had used suspend!!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

im stuck waiting for this hibernate to complete before I can go anywhere, if only I had used suspend!!

modern computers will suspend for a fixed amount of time, then hibernate. not doing this is a waste of battery.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i never even think about this in windows. I just close the lid. In linux I need to think about how long I will have it closed and whether I need to shut down. it's crappy

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

RobobTheGreat posted:

an 11 year old laptop for an 11 year old kernel

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I put linux in whatever laptop I get and it works fine

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Amethyst posted:

modern computers will suspend for a fixed amount of time, then hibernate. not doing this is a waste of battery.

still not seeing the scenario here where the several weeks of battery life when suspended is insufficient, and where just shutting it off (which would be much faster than hibernate) when it won't be used for longer than that somehow doesn't work either. i might need those browser tabs back in 6 months and I'll wait hours for ram to swap to get them!!!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
yeah shutting down with autostarting programs is way better than hibernation, it's a fun gimmick that is no longer necessary

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
tried out prerelease kubuntu 19.10 on my laptop after temporarily wiping it to install windows and attempt a firmware upgrade of my lenovo usb-c dock

figured it didnt hurt to install 19.10, copy back the btrfs snapshots i saved before wiping 18.04, clone the read-only home snapshot to be my home dir in this installation, install the same packages and see how 19.10 is coming, since ive only played with 18.10 and 19.04 in vms and not serious use

kde plasma 5.16 has a lot more polish than 5.12 in 18.04, neato

found out pretty quickly: no amarok and no steam!

didnt waste any more time before booting from a usb drive, btrfs subvolume delete @; btrfs subvolume snapshot snapshots-18.04/root@201907whatever @; [fix fstab, mount /dev /proc /sys /boot/efi, chroot, update-grub, etc.]

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Several weeks? My laptops don’t last anywhere near that in just suspend. More like a day. Are you sure your computer isn’t hibernating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

battery in sleep on even a semi-modern laptop will last weeks. my 5 year old chomebook lasts a month. hibernate has been obsolete for years.

e;fb

e2:

Amethyst posted:

Several weeks? My laptops don’t last anywhere near that in just suspend. More like a day. Are you sure your computer isn’t hibernating
are you sure you laptop isn't one of those with ~active sleep~ bullshit, that wakes periodically to track your location for the data overlords check your email? i can see how battery might be a problem on that

Truga fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 25, 2019