Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

crime tourism is a thing in Fort Knox, Paris, and the city-state of Monaco. Not so much California lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mad Cobber
May 19, 2018

Oh Snapple! posted:

Fun part is that unless someone fesses up you'll never really know if it was an actual misfire or someone just trying to make you look bad.
It was the latter.

Just having fun Heck Yes! Loam! if you want me to change it back in a few days I can do that :)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Mad Cobber posted:

It was the latter.

Just having fun Heck Yes! Loam! if you want me to change it back in a few days I can do that :)

I laughed :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the two replies to my earlier post (from theflyingorc and either Chillgamesh or Craptacular because I always confuse those two posters), I generally agree with the idea of "listening to the will of the people," but people should be listened to regarding the outcomes they desire - they usually lack the ability to know how to optimally achieve those outcomes. What people really desire is likely quality healthcare for as cheap as possible, and each individual can decide how that can best be achieved. Like I may have mentioned in my previous post, the only truly reflective way to do a poll like that would be to magically include an understanding of the outcome of the policies in question. Obviously that isn't possible, so the only useful polls for this sort of thing are ones polling the outcomes people want, and even that has issues (a majority of Americans being racist doesn't mean the government should be racist, and other general "tyranny of the majority" stuff).

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Heaven forbid someone does the right thing for political gain.

I went and read the piece and i feel exactly the same way i felt before reading it, but i now have wasted 5-10 minutes.

I don't feel the same; I just feel even more depressed/disgusted.

Like, the most generous interpretation of Franken's behavior based off the article is "he did a lovely thing without this woman's consent that happened to be related to something from a tasteless skit, and because the other women unsurprisingly don't have proof of being randomly groped years ago we should assume they're lying because Republicans pushed the story."

I can understand the "Republican smears" angle if it were just a single woman, but the "lack of evidence" excuse stops working when you're dealing with multiple accusations, at least when you're talking about something that isn't even a criminal conviction - it's just taking a position of political power from someone who is already wealthy.

edit: And hell, Franken isn't even nearly good enough to warrant these justifications.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 23, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Mad Cobber posted:

It was the latter.

please namechange to Midnight Cobber What Cobbs at Midnight

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hell forecast: condemned souls are up, Up, UP!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the whole 'the economy is good, trump will win on that' is kinda buying into right wing framing, though. The economy sucks rear end, the low unemployment numbers and all are great for economy wonks and rich people and all but for the actual people involved in those numbers they are actually living their lives and seeing 'oh right I still have to work two jobs and haven't got a raise in years and all this other bullshit that keeps wearing down on me'

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

the whole 'the economy is good, trump will win on that' is kinda buying into right wing framing, though. The economy sucks rear end, the low unemployment numbers and all are great for economy wonks and rich people and all but for the actual people involved in those numbers they are actually living their lives and seeing 'oh right I still have to work two jobs and haven't got a raise in years and all this other bullshit that keeps wearing down on me'

This. Part of why Hilldawg lost was because she and her team erroneously assumed that, because the economy was doing well on paper, people must be happy with the neoliberal economic program that the Obama era represented. Trump isn’t going to have the benefit of being an anti-status quo candidate, outside of the worm-infested brains of his base.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Majorian posted:

This. Part of why Hilldawg lost was because she and her team erroneously assumed that, because the economy was doing well on paper, people must be happy with the neoliberal economic program that the Obama era represented. Trump isn’t going to have the benefit of being an anti-status quo candidate, outside of the worm-infested brains of his base.

Speaking of the Obama economy... kind of interesting to read this from a former Biden economics advisor: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/7/19/20699366/interest-rates-unemployment-globalization-minimum-wage-deficit

tl;dr
1. The "natural rate of unemployment" may be a crock of poo poo
2. Globalization not as wonderful and amazing as previously thought
3. Running a deficit won't magically destroy private investments
4. Higher min wage good

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Calibanibal posted:

crime tourism is a thing in Fort Knox, Paris, and the city-state of Monaco. Not so much California lol

I don't get you people who seem to think that a 20 minute drive across the Bay Bridge is equivalent to some sort of Italian Job caper. There was an East Bay resident vs. East Bay resident murder literally across the street from my place when I lived in SF. People don't just check their grievances or business conflicts or whatever when they cross the bridge.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't get you people who seem to think that a 20 minute drive across the Bay Bridge is equivalent to some sort of Italian Job caper. There was an East Bay resident vs. East Bay resident murder literally across the street from my place when I lived in SF. People don't just check their grievances or business conflicts or whatever when they cross the bridge.
yeah but they're not holding their grudges until the other person is in SF so they can take advantage of the lower bail either, you god-damned goon :rolleyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

yeah but they're not holding their grudges until the other person is in SF so they can take advantage of the lower bail either, you god-damned goon :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is such a weird anecdote to tell. I somehow doubt East Bay resident A traveled into SF for the purpose of killing East Bay resident B. Yet Harris is saying that that's what happens, since, according to her, it's cheaper.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, this is such a weird anecdote to tell. I somehow doubt East Bay resident A traveled into SF for the purpose of killing East Bay resident B. Yet Harris is saying that that's what happens, since, according to her, it's cheaper.

It's not supposed to make sense, it's supposed to mocking the idea of mercy.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Harris is stuck in the 80’s and 90s “tough on crime” ideal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

But that will only redound to the benefit of the Democrats if they're running a candidate who can talk about the economy in that way. Out of the 20 candidates they have, I think that's only Sanders, Warren, Williamson, and Yang.

Some rich moderate rear end in a top hat like Biden or Buttigieg will be unable and unwilling to tap into people's dissatisfaction with the economy because that would require a systemic critique of a system they're quite happy with.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Ruminahui posted:

She's basically pretending that her time as a prosecutor never happened, she's just saying nowadays that she's a criminal justice reformer and in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. I'm not sure how much people outside of the highly politically engaged are aware of her previous track record

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gripweed posted:

I got like two pages into it and it was all about how sad Al Franken was. And the whole thing was really long so I called it quits

Chilichimp posted:

That's because Biden's unironic electoral strategy is to poach republican primary voters since the Republicans won't be running a primary this year, and many states have open primaries.

I read the article. What's your point?

I freely admit the point of the article was that Tweedon was fabricating her entire complaint, and even if I accept that premise, the best explanation for the other victim's is that he likes to touch womens asses, inappropriately.

Framing Franken as a Biden-esque woman groper certainly is better than framing him as a serial sexual assaulter, but it's still not great. Franken absolutely did the right thing by resigning.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

jane mayer is an excellent writer and researcher and it deserves your time if you want to talk about it!

i guess we should take this to a thread that isn't about the presidential primary, but

isn't the thrust of the article. mayer makes a really convincing case that the primary allegation against him was a hit job, and the rest are, at best, flimsy in their content and suspicious in their context

So, having read the article:

It was written in an incredibly leading way. It's not an impartial distillation of the facts, it's explicitly written to make Franken the victim and the reader to feel bad about him.

Context is important, and in this case the context was the absolute height of the initial Me Too wave.

Franken looked like he was going to survive the initial accusation, even after his misguided 'I'm sorry if you were offended' apology.

What did him in was woman after woman coming forward. You can explain away a single isolated accusation or two (especially as relatively minor as these were). Eight? Not so much.

At the end of the day, it probably is unfair to Franken that he didn't get any kind of due process or investigation. But with the larger narrative it happened in, especially with the Dems being 100% on the 'believe the woman' side of things, the optics of riding out 8 accusations, no matter how flimsy they appear today, would have been crippling to the movement in general and would have given the perception that neither party really cares unless the perp is on the other side.

As someone towards the end of the article says, it sucks that someone playing by the old rules suddenly has the new ones applied, but if you keep waiting to apply the new rules, they never change. And in that vein, after hundreds of years of men doing whatever the gently caress they wanted without consequence, it's not the end of the world if a few Frankens happen in the process of legitimizing women's agency over their bodies. Whether he intended it or not, he made 8 women (and probably many many more) uncomfortable by touching/kissing them when they didn't want it.

And in regards to the whole 'it wasn't a new skit he wrote for her' thing, that proves absolutely nothing about their interactions - he could well have told her it was new knowing full well that it wasn't. The dozens of people quoted saying they don't believe Franken would ever do something like that? Also irrelevant. Nobody thinks most harassers/abusers do things like that (except for the victims), and has been one of the biggest problems over the years in women being believed at all.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ruminahui posted:

You progressives want to get soft on crime without addressing why Harris has three locks on her door!

she has those locks because wealthy elites, and DAs especially, are paranoid assholes who don't trust their neighbors even though they spend dumptrucks of money to live in gated enclaves

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
has anyone have any good bills/policies that help with the opiate problem? im surprised more isnt being done considering how many whites are dying..

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

has anyone have any good bills/policies that help with the opiate problem? im surprised more isnt being done considering how many whites are dying..

i'm in favor of letting opiates be sold over the counter

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm no IK but I think any further discussion of the Franken New Yorker piece needs to gently caress off to USPOL.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Order of Priorities is:

Rich, White, "Christian", Conservatives, Nazis, Poor if they support the System, Centrists, Unclear Origin White, Candace Owens, White Liberals, Model Minorities, Dogs and Cats, All other minorities, People who choose to be drug addicted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The main big recent change I'm aware of is that Medicaid is getting expanded to cover addiction clinics. And yeah that's why.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1153702580771598339

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:thumbsup: is literally the only possible response to this

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Chilichimp posted:

I'm no IK but I think any further discussion of the Franken New Yorker piece needs to gently caress off to USPOL.

No, you see, Al Franken is relevant to the 2020 election, but who you will vote for isn't. It makes perfect sense if you :thunk: about it.

Also,:

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1153666502488469510?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crazy cloud posted:

No, you see, Al Franken is relevant to the 2020 election, but who you will vote for isn't. It makes perfect sense if you :thunk: about it.

Also,:

How could I be anti-vaxx, my best friend is Einstein?!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mac Runs for the Presidency

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

How often do you have to quote Einstein before you become pro-science

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Calibanibal posted:

I keep quoting lou gehrig cause I'm a fan of diseases that create inspiring stories like Steve Gleason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

But if you pronounce it (((Einstein))) you have to start all over again

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 23, 2019

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Don’t disagree w/ the sentiment, but christ booker is a wiener.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Calibanibal posted:

It's relative.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

crazy cloud posted:

Also,:

Orb will save us from disease

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

crazy cloud posted:

Also,:

$10 says that several of those quotes aren't even his.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

He’s so , so pathetic . What kind of goober says he want to punch Trump in the face? And then goes on to say how big and strong and tough and manly he is and he’d hurt the big bad Orangeman.

Biden wants to do push-ups , Booker wants to act tough , it’s such embarrassing posturing

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Punk da Bundo posted:

He’s so , so pathetic . What kind of goober says he want to punch Trump in the face? And then goes on to say how big and strong and tough and manly he is and he’d hurt the big bad Orangeman.

Biden wants to do push-ups , Booker wants to act tough , it’s such embarrassing posturing
he's the nominee and his general election ads are just training montages as he flips giant tires up a snowy hillside and speedbags in a gym

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Punk da Bundo posted:

If Jeb had slugged Trump during the second debate when Trump refused to apologize to his wife, we would be living in a very different reality today. They're trying to tap into.. the.. Jeb energy..?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Punk da Bundo posted:

Looks like someone already forgot the time Biden and Donny shared a media cycle about how they'd totally kick each other's rear end behind the gym.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Punk da Bundo posted:

What kind of goober says he want to punch Trump in the face?

idiot boomer libs who forward borowitz report articles to everyone in their contacts