Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used Ozone on my latest EP and I mixed as loud as I could without the individual instruments sounding lovely/clipping. Kept the Maximizer's threshold at 0.0 and the ceiling at -1.0 because I've heard SoundCloud and other streaming services can distort the sound if you don't leave a decibel of headroom.

I'd play the song, watch the graph for peaks, and if I saw any, I'd track down the offending instrument and mix it lower (or if that instrument needed to be up front in the mix, keep that the highest it can go without peaking and mix everything else lower than that). Rinse and repeat until there aren't any more peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That's useful, thanks.
I have got into 'less compression, more often', especially for drums (using SSD4 in multiout) and I've been mixing into a SSL comp set 2:1 on the master for the past couple months, which I remove when it's Ozone time.
Up until I put Ozone on stuff sounds decent enough and not too squishy but that final step is what's eluding me. It definitely makes the mix louder and more present blah blah, guess I need to experiment more with my levels to get that without the additional breathless crush I often end up with.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

You want to give yourself a few db of headroom all the way through and into the mix bus until the final stages itb. Also smarter automation programming makes mastering easier, don't make the compressor do all the work. The first thing a mastering engineer will do is automate the overall level of the track so it hits the comp a little nicer. If you aren't banging up against full scale it's easier to hear the effect of the compression imo. You should be able to come in at -4db or whatever and finish it off in ozone. If your poo poo isn't slamming after you limit it, it's generally not a mastering issue, it's a mix issue. As you mentioned, multiple stages of compression are often required to get the desired effect so feel free to use a couple inline mixbus compressors to square things up if necessary. In a studio setting you might got through the console mixbus comp then through a comp (or two) and a limiter during mastering.

Really low ratio, low threshold on multiband compression if you don't want it to sound squashy. Bring the threshold down until you're clearly triggering a bit on all the peaks and then bring up the ratio until it sounds how you want it to.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The issue i was having was more 'its slamming/pumping too much unless I turn it down the point that the plugin is pointless'.
I did notice with some of the presets on Ozone that it says to aim between -20 and -12 RMS on the input, and that did make a solid positive difference. I then had a play with just Pro L2 on the master and I'm finding that useful, mostly cos I can fullscreen it and view all the meters at once for RMS, LUFS etc which I've been reading about a lot today. There's definitely a drastic difference between Spotify standards and CD standards from what I've read, i just need to experiment and find that spot between having nice dynamic range and being 'loud enough' without getting crushed.

The answers in this thread so far have been useful just to see how others work, and thankfully they show I'm not being totally rear end backwards in how I'm doing things generally!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Set Ozone up from the ground up for each project imo. That it offers presets at all is a big mistake conceptually.

I'd also mix towards Spotify's requirements because that already is the middle ground of all the proposed standards.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
D16 has a pretty big sale going on!

If you want to pick up Phoscyon for $38 bucks nows the time! They've got a pile of good effects too!

https://d16.pl/

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Do you guys only put Ozone on as a final step only, or do you tend to mix into it as you go along?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Do you guys only put Ozone on as a final step only, or do you tend to mix into it as you go along?
For my most recent project, I used it as I went along. I didn't before because it'd spike my DSP and cause tracks to stutter and poo poo. But Reason put out a patch that vastly improved VST performance, so now I can keep it activated the whole time.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't put it on until the end because I find it negatively affects my ability to mix the track.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I put it on once I have any chunk of the track fully arranged because listening after limiter will immediately tell me if I made some dumb leveling decision that's not obvious after a long sequencing session; then I turn it off to write the other parts and just check from time to time

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I often mix something so that it sounds good, throw Ozone on, and let the mastering assistant do its thing. Then I check out what it's done with respect to EQ, compression, etc. and see if I can use that as suggestions to bring things up or down in the mix. Often it's better to adjust the volumes or EQ of the individual parts rather than try to fix it on the master bus. Once I've made what adjustments I can to reduce what Ozone thinks need to be fixed, I run the mastering assistant again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Plugin Boutique is somehow giving away a free copy of Iris 2 this month with any purchase.

Maybe next month they'll have Omnisphere.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Plugin Boutique is somehow giving away a free copy of Iris 2 this month with any purchase.

holy poo poo that is loving nuts, thanks for the heads up

quote:

nah, never gonna happen

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Philthy posted:

Not that I didn't get a great deal a couple months ago in getting it and Trash 2 for $50, but SON OF A BITCH.

Anyway, literally everyone in this thread should own Iris 2. C'mon now.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How does Iris 2 compare to NI's Form? Seems like there's some overlap there.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's up to four Forms per voice.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Philthy posted:

Got Synthmaster One (crossgrade from player) and this for under 20 bux, nice

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Dang, that's nice. Iris is deeply weird but so much fun.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still practically completely new at music production; figuring out what I can do and how best to do it with Ableton Lite (from my Launchpad Pro. I also have an old Yamaha MIDI Master KX88). This Iris 2 deal sounds like a no brainer the way people are talking about it. What else should I get to take advantage of it? Any other suggestions for starting out?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

I'm still practically completely new at music production; figuring out what I can do and how best to do it with Ableton Lite (from my Launchpad Pro. I also have an old Yamaha MIDI Master KX88). This Iris 2 deal sounds like a no brainer the way people are talking about it. What else should I get to take advantage of it? Any other suggestions for starting out?

I don't know if any Soundtoys stuff are on Plugin Boutique, but they're all fantastic. Also other Izotope stuff, too.

Once you delve into Iris, if you have any interest in being able to create a lot of new and interesting sounds, especially for cinematic sound design purposes, Iris 2 is wonderful.

This is advertising a pack you can buy for it, but just listen to this stuff... it's nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQAclio6Y0

My two favourite things about it (aside from it's very unique filtering abilities) is that you can use any of your own samples, and that there's no hosed up EULA preventing you from using theirs in anything (unlike Omnisphere).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you're new I'd postpone getting into poo poo like Iris, get a nice free subtractive synth like Charlatan and really get to know it first, just go to town

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ruffian Price posted:

If you're new I'd postpone getting into poo poo like Iris, get a nice free subtractive synth like Charlatan and really get to know it first, just go to town

Don't postpone getting Iris 2 even if you plan to postpone digging into it, though; free with any purchase is too nice of a deal to pass up.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any recommendations for something cheap to pickup ($5-10) for grabbing Iris that is actually useful? Am thinking maybe the $10 InstaChord bundle to inspire some new chord progressions and styles, but if anyone has other recommendations I'm all ears.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Don't postpone getting Iris 2 even if you plan to postpone digging into it, though; free with any purchase is too nice of a deal to pass up.

Yes, this is correct. Get it now, enjoy it later (or whenever, really).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If any of you got Ozone Elements in a promotion earlier this year, both JRRshop and Plugin Boutique allow for a nice little upgrade path this month.

https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-ozone-advanced-upgrade-ozone-elements Elements to Advanced
https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-music-productionsuite-upgrade-advanced and up to the MPS2.1 (+Neutron 3 Adv, Nectar 3, RX 7, Insight 2 and some other bullshit)

250€ for the whole thing on PB, 180 on JRR.

Trig Discipline posted:

Definitely yeah, it's just not something you would want to define the way you think about signal flows and poo poo. Iris even has subtractive synth components inside

also I'm not big on MIDI plugins but as far as all the ~AutoTheory~ stuff is concerned InstaChord is one of the better ones. as in, I can actually imagine it saving me time (because you can set specific chord voices to keys, sequence your poo poo and then start messing with chord changes)

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 3, 2019

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Iris is worth grabbing if only for the samples that come with it. Even if you don't feel ready to open the synth itself there's a lot of useable sounds supplied with it as Wav ready to go.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Huh. Plugin Boutique's free copy of Iris 2 is eligible for the upgrade versions of Ozone. I wasn't planning on getting Ozone (yet), but that seems like a good enough price for the two plugins.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, so I do want Iris 2, but I may not want to start using it just yet. What should I buy to get it for free?

Ruffian Price posted:

If you're new I'd ... get a nice free subtractive synth like Charlatan and really get to know it first, just go to town

Where do I get that, and where do I look to start getting to know it? This is all a little overwhelming, with just the sheer variety of shiny buttons and dials to figure out.

I appreciate the help. I've dipped a single toe into music production dozens of times, and I'd like to actually dive in this time.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Qylvaran posted:

Where do I get that, and where do I look to start getting to know it? This is all a little overwhelming, with just the sheer variety of shiny buttons and dials to figure out.

I appreciate the help. I've dipped a single toe into music production dozens of times, and I'd like to actually dive in this time.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/charlatan-by-blaukraut-engineering
KVR is an excellent place to find both commercial and freeware plugins.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

Okay, so I do want Iris 2, but I may not want to start using it just yet. What should I buy to get it for free?

I recommend literally anything from U-he. Might not be cheap, but they're excellent.

Comedy option: whatever synth that had that HORRIBLE design, the perspective was all hosed up and everything, it was like MC Escher puked on it. Anyone know the one I mean?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I recommend literally anything from U-he. Might not be cheap, but they're excellent.

Comedy option: whatever synth that had that HORRIBLE design, the perspective was all hosed up and everything, it was like MC Escher puked on it. Anyone know the one I mean?

http://www.admiralquality.com/product/poly-ana/

The dude who built this also tended to get pretty salty on KVR and other forums about any criticism on the UI

Since this is still priced at $180 I don't think you're going to get a discount there.

Anyway, cheapest option that is not completely useless: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/1558-Vacuum-Pro-

U-He ACE is more costly but I've gotten a boatload of mileage out of that, and U-He has good support.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

http://www.admiralquality.com/product/poly-ana/

The dude who built this also tended to get pretty salty on KVR and other forums about any criticism on the UI

Since this is still priced at $180 I don't think you're going to get a discount there.

Anyway, cheapest option that is not completely useless: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/1558-Vacuum-Pro-

U-He ACE is more costly but I've gotten a boatload of mileage out of that, and U-He has good support.

That's actually not the one I'm referring to, though it IS pretty bad.

Edit: FOUND IT.

:wtc:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 4, 2019

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Maximum Planck posted:

Huh. Plugin Boutique's free copy of Iris 2 is eligible for the upgrade versions of Ozone. I wasn't planning on getting Ozone (yet), but that seems like a good enough price for the two plugins.

wait if i buy this and don't already own ozone elements, does that mean i get iris 2 and ozone standard for that price?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

It's one of my favorite synths, too. I've tried hacking the DLL to replace this poo poo, but he encrypted it or someshit. SIGH

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This looks like cyberpunk whack-a-mole.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

wait if i buy this and don't already own ozone elements, does that mean i get iris 2 and ozone standard for that price?

That's my read of the Iris 2 freebie page and the Ozone crossgrade store page. I can't be completely sure – for some reason it looked like my Izotope account was eligible for the crossgrade even before I added the Iris 2 license, despite only containing freeware plugins. What I can say is I was able to register the Ozone crossgrade license without owning a version of Ozone.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I used the free Iris 2 offer as an excuse to upgrade AutoTheory Pro to version 5. The fact that version 5 is now a VST that can launch/control other VSTs from within itself (if that makes any sense), eliminating the need for MIDI routing is awesome. I can even use it in Reason, unlike other plugins of this type such as InstaChord. Worth the $20.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive VST to go with Iris 2, you could do worse than Audiothing's Fog Convolver, a 'reverb' plugin which makes it very easy to use your own samples to create a sort of convolution reverb. Great fun with all them samples that come with Iris.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah all of AudioThing's plugins are great, especially for the price, but Fog Convolver is a steal for a convolution reverb, and I personally found it much easier to work with than the Waves one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I'll second that, the Waves convolver can go screw.