Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Suburban Dad posted:

:v:

People bitch and moan all day about wanting this and that online but they're not the ones that show up with their wallets to the dealer. They're the problem and they can't even see that. Supply and demand (actual demand).

I see that all the time "If only (company X) would build a fore ex fore with good ground clearance, locking diffs front and rear, hose out interior and no frills I'd buy the poo poo out of one"! * five other forum guys circle jerk on how awesome that would be. Meanwhile If that ever happened, Company X would sell 200 of them, and guys on forum Y would buy them used.

Darchangel posted:

I still don't really understand the purpose of the Blazer. Chevy already had the Equinox and Traverse. Did they really need another one? Particularly one trading on a once-storied name?

GM competing against itself and turning out a new vehicle with old name that is a shadow of its former glory? Well, I never....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

If this actually "Runs and drives excellent" pretty good deal no? Interior looks almost mint too. No luck with that last Dart I posted.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

punch drunk posted:

If this actually "Runs and drives excellent" pretty good deal no? Interior looks almost mint too. No luck with that last Dart I posted.

The 78 is a fine example of that thing that is capable of transporting a person from place to place without the usual electrical fires or lack of ignition.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Going to look at this hopefully tomorrow.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

The rush to optimize everything to be sold to everyone at the expense of being interesting to anyone is really frustrating.

Why does this rugged "off-road vehicle" come on low-profile performance tires that look like they belong on a Camaro?

(And on the opposite end of the scale, why does Ford put narrow and mushy 235/50 all-seasons on the base Mustang GT?)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Number_6 posted:

Why does this rugged "off-road vehicle" come on low-profile performance tires that look like they belong on a Camaro?

(And on the opposite end of the scale, why does Ford put narrow and mushy 235/50 all-seasons on the base Mustang GT?)

The furthest its going off road is a gravel parking lot, or maybe parked on dude bro's home boy'zzzz front lawn.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Number_6 posted:

Does any of the official ad press describe the Blazer as a rugged off-road vehicle?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Coredump posted:

Does any of the official ad press describe the Blazer as a rugged off-road vehicle?

Not that I’m aware of. Like every other CUV, it’s primarily FWD, so...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Number_6 posted:

And on the opposite end of the scale, why does Ford put narrow and mushy 235/50 all-seasons on the base Mustang GT?

Since when does 235mm count as narrow? What is wide now?

I can actually see why you would put all-seasons on basic “fast cars” though. Most people who pick the first thing that comes to mind for fast car aren’t going to want to deal with seasonal tire changes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Since when does 235mm count as narrow? What is wide now?

I can actually see why you would put all-seasons on basic “fast cars” though. Most people who pick the first thing that comes to mind for fast car aren’t going to want to deal with seasonal tire changes.

it's narrow given the size and weight of a modern mustang

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What is wide now? Chargers and CTSes are kind of fat fucks and 235 is the best you are/were getting five years ago outside of the highest-end trims.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What is wide now? Chargers and CTSes are kind of fat fucks and 235 is the best you are/were getting five years ago outside of the highest-end trims.

There is a reason for DOT legal slicks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

22 Eargesplitten posted:

315+

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I only run on bias-ply.

They could only stuff so much under there at the time is the short answer.

Folks, it is a great time to be alive. I'll crap on all them but if I had a wallet big enough I could order an ICE at around 800HP, spend a buck to buy the extra seat, or buy a new Vette, or screw around with a Mustang...or wait for them (most) to depreciate and pick them up somewhat cheaply.

Quality be damned. We really are in the halcyon days of great muscle cars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Colostomy Bag posted:

I only run on bias-ply.

They could only stuff so much under there at the time is the short answer.

Folks, it is a great time to be alive. I'll crap on all them but if I had a wallet big enough I could order an ICE at around 800HP, spend a buck to buy the extra seat, or buy a new Vette, or screw around with a Mustang...or wait for them (most) to depreciate and pick them up somewhat cheaply.

Quality be damned. We really are in the halcyon days of great muscle cars.

Cars have never been better, true, but boy I sure don't like most of them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Cars have never been better, true, but boy I sure don't like most of them.

Yeah, I know. Like I said, enjoy the ride right now because it will get a lot of worse.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Suburban Dad posted:

People bitch and moan all day about wanting this and that online but they're not the ones that show up with their wallets to the dealer. They're the problem and they can't even see that. Supply and demand (actual demand). I get it though to some extent, new cars are loving expensive and I too am looking at used stuff. But I'm not going to complain when a company doesn't sell a new car I want in my head but wouldn't actually buy anyway.

People always say this, but this doesn't actually seem to be the case for myself or anyone that I know.

I had to replace my car recently. My budget was anywhere up to about $40k. I ended up spending around $20k on a used car because I literally couldn't buy a new one in that price range that ticked even most of my boxes without spending a ton of money and still making a lot of compromises.

Most of the people in my immediate group of friends are 30-somethings that range from pretty drat poor to pretty drat successful, and they all bitch and moan about new car options. The ones that do end up buying new cars bitch and moan about compromises. These aren't obsessive car enthusiasts, they're just normal people.

I just don't understand who new cars are actually being marketed towards.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

People always say this, but this doesn't actually seem to be the case for myself or anyone that I know.

I had to replace my car recently. My budget was anywhere up to about $40k. I ended up spending around $20k on a used car because I literally couldn't buy a new one in that price range that ticked even most of my boxes without spending a ton of money and still making a lot of compromises.

Most of the people in my immediate group of friends are 30-somethings that range from pretty drat poor to pretty drat successful, and they all bitch and moan about new car options. The ones that do end up buying new cars bitch and moan about compromises. These aren't obsessive car enthusiasts, they're just normal people.

Best I can tell, this guy:

kimcicle posted:

Saw this posted in another thread, had to share it here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Thats kinda the problem, just about every option has to come with a package.
I'd really like my next vehicle to be a Tacoma with TRD offroad package, which has locking rear diff and a couple other (manual trans) goodies I'd like. I don't want to make it in to some crazy off road beast, I just want something to go a little bit off the beaten path, for camping, fishing, hunting etc... but I also REALLY fuckin want a sunroof..... Not available unless I get the TRD sport package instead, which is apparently geared more towards on road handling and whatnot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

wesleywillis posted:

Thats kinda the problem, just about every option has to come with a package.
I'd really like my next vehicle to be a Tacoma with TRD offroad package, which has locking rear diff and a couple other (manual trans) goodies I'd like. I don't want to make it in to some crazy off road beast, I just want something to go a little bit off the beaten path, for camping, fishing, hunting etc... but I also REALLY fuckin want a sunroof..... Not available unless I get the TRD sport package instead, which is apparently geared more towards on road handling and whatnot.

I have a friend who recently got a used trd offroad, he had a similar dilemma just not over the sunroof. He goes camping and fishing every weekend, no rock crawling or anything, just some normal offroad stuff. He still thinks he would have been better off with the sport package, that it would have been fine for all that and better for the five days of the week he’s not on dirt. There was just something about it being the offroad package that he couldn’t turn down, he admits the offroad image was too seductive.

Maybe you’ll be ok with the sport package? :shrug:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Snowy posted:

I have a friend who recently got a used trd offroad, he had a similar dilemma just not over the sunroof. He goes camping and fishing every weekend, no rock crawling or anything, just some normal offroad stuff. He still thinks he would have been better off with the sport package, that it would have been fine for all that and better for the five days of the week he’s not on dirt. There was just something about it being the offroad package that he couldn’t turn down, he admits the offroad image was too seductive.

Maybe you’ll be ok with the sport package? :shrug:

You're probably right, but yeah OFFROAD!!!!!!!!!!! is very seductive. Especially, as you said for the six days a year that I'd actually be using the 4wd.....

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

You're probably right, but yeah OFFROAD!!!!!!!!!!! is very seductive. Especially, as you said for the six days a year that I'd actually be using the 4wd.....

You can get a ways off the beaten path with a 2WD sedan, even further with something like a Subaru or one of the billion AWD crossovers around now. I've taken a minivan (from my old work, not a personal vehicle) miles down minimum or no-maintenance logging roads. With 4WD/AWD alone, you're in pretty great shape, even better if you have some sort of locking differentials. Mud will be a problem with street tires, no Off-Road package will save you if you don't have the tread for it.

I don't know about Toyotas but some manufacturer's off-road packages include stuff like skid plates, which sound and look cool but practically will probably just be more of a pain in the rear end from a maintenance perspective.

Personally, the only things I might be salty about with a "sport" package are low-profile tires, lower-rated payload and tow ratings, and obnoxious graphics.

Edit: I personally wouldn't worry much about off-road suspension packages for anything besides maybe a lift, but you can do that aftermarket anyway. Unless you're actually going bouncing down trails and stuff at speed, I don't think you need the fancy Bilstein shocks or whatever. I'd personally go for smaller rims, anyway.
Also, some of the stuff (locking differential) MIGHT be available as a dealer-installed option, as well. Probably be fairly expensive, though. You could also do it aftermarket yourself, but you might void warranties.

boxen fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 19, 2019

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Only the Off-road Pack is “Trail Rated” so the Tundra will not work off any paved surface unless you have it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

julian assflange posted:

Only the Off-road Pack is “Trail Rated” so the Tundra will not work off any paved surface unless you have it.

So it just quits working if you drive on grass?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

So it just quits working if you drive on grass?

Depends on if the grass is mowed or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good to know.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My daily beater is a P5, I really like it overall, but it has some weird characteristics than the earlier Proteges and later 3 didn't really have. Suspension travel is really limited, but seems to be a pretty floppy chassis, so the handling dynamics aren't amazing. The seats are total poo poo for anything involving fun, but are otherwise comfortable. Also the K&N full CAI sucks up water super fast :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://worcester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/essex-lost-scaa-post-war-race-car-help/6920389075.html

quote:

LOST RACE RACE CAR MYSTERY After all who doesn't like a good mystery!

Interested party looking for any information on a Lost SCCA race car that was popular in Allentown and Bridgehampton tracks in the early 1950-1953, the car has been lost and I would like your help in finding her?

"The Race Car" was a hand built post war special, Aluminum Body with some fiberglass work on the nose, Lea Francis 1.5 liter motor, Frazer Nash cetner-locking wheels, Triumph brakes, This was a true special, the car was influenced by Jaguar and Frazer Nash race cars of the day.

The Special was last seen in the early 60’s and was a popular at Bridgehampton, Convair Airport Races , Allentown. Possibly sitting in decay in a barn or shed near you?

Help Solve a Mystery of a forgotten sports car

call/text 605*201*9563

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Non-responding craigslist sellers are stupid.

edit: turns out he sold it this weekend. Dang.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 23, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bummer, it had nice mileage

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
'80s nostalgia (and louvers!) can give a person bad ideas on how to spend $1500.

E: Yes, that appears to be an IMS logo on the fender. No idea what that's about.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 23, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dagen H posted:

'80s nostalgia (and louvers!) can give a person bad ideas on how to spend $1500.

E: Yes, that appears to be an IMS logo on the fender. No idea what that's about.

It owns is why. Louvers, the wheels, that decal along the side, it's a Pontiac. Hell yeah.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I feel like I know exactly how the interior of that car smells

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The more I look at this, the more awesome it seems
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1965-chevy-off-road-camping-van/1441896039?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Turn heads around town or go camping where nobody else goes . The perfect escape module. Frame off restoration, 350 motor, to much to list , handles like a dream , $50,000 invested . $22000 OBO phone 403-850-6938 will trade for 3/4 ton regular cab truck or a rough neck trailer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Dagen H posted:

If it's not just a sticker a previous owner put on, it could have been a festival car one of the years that Pontiac (or GM generally) had the pace car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
4 spoke wheels are the bees knees.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Not a CL listing, but can't turn down wonderfully mangled product visions on Amazon:
This was for a motorcycle turn signal relay.

"Our Vision: Provide the most cheap beauty products to help you upgrade your beloved vehicle and let you feel the most sincere service Your encourage is our motivation to discover the trend of fashion and create your dreaming products. Make your car outstanding , enjoy your life."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh sure make me read the screen shot and quote it after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bennyfactor posted:

If it's not just a sticker a previous owner put on, it could have been a festival car one of the years that Pontiac (or GM generally) had the pace car.

That car was never the pace car or a festival car. Indy 500 was top dog awesome race number 1 in 82.