Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mad about romances

It's clear that fire emblem has failed. It's time to revive advance wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Endorph posted:

He almost definitely has aptitude or some other similar skill.
I dunno - +10 probably ain't saving him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Mad about romances

It's clear that fire emblem has failed. It's time to revive advance wars.
the romances in this game seem way better than the stuff in awakening and fates because the stuff involving the actual characters (read: not the avtar) seems not like the most boring thing in the world

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Add romances to advance wars

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Did you miss the news about there being zero actual m/m supports

E: alois's m/m s-rank ends with you marrying a woman because gay men are gross

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, that's roughly what people were guessing Lysithea's DEF was. There was a comparison screencap a few days ago of them at lvl 19 or so, still with the same value there as it had been at lvl 1.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jawdins posted:

Add romances to advance wars

i have been shipping lash and sonja since uh...whenever 2 came out, romance is already in the game

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Grapplejack posted:

Did you miss the news about there being zero actual m/m supports

E: alois's m/m s-rank ends with you marrying a woman because gay men are gross

What about lynhardt

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Raserys posted:

What about lynhardt

His m/m support is just the f support with the pronouns changed, he doesn't get any different dialogue

Even Niles, as terrible as he was, at least got custom lines. You get nothing this game.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

His m/m support is just the f support with the pronouns changed, he doesn't get any different dialogue

Even Niles, as terrible as he was, at least got custom lines. You get nothing this game.

Rhajat did too in the original text, localization changed it.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I'm just going to go full volcel in my playthrough then if I can't have a buff gay anime husband. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

it wouldnt surprise me if this was another case of stuff changing in translation. i mean it's possible it isn't but they've done it before and its the same tl company as fates, and this is the same thing fates had in the us version

the alois thing esp. seems like something where it'd be a non-specified gender in jp and then the translator changed it to a woman with no context. again, totally possible it isn't, but i'd really want to see the japanese text here.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If anything the bait and switch with alois forcing you to marry a woman is the most hosed up part of this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fire Emblem Three Houses - The 'S' Stands for Straight Bros

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If this is actually true it needs to turn into a massive shitstorm. It’s ridiculous.

(but may yet not be true)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

If anything the bait and switch with alois forcing you to marry a woman is the most hosed up part of this
again id want to see the japanese text here because thats such a strange and random case and its not like this'd be the first time treehouse has made something wokely homophobic, but even if this is the case in the original jp id attribute this more to s supports in this game super blatantly being a vestigial feature (non-romantic s supports in general is a bizarre pull) that they were going back and forth on than any kind of malice, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like its entirely possible intsys made a hosed up choice here but we only have an english textdump and treehouse are the same fine people that made rhajat into a lesbian stalker and changed the lesbian in xenoblade chronicles 2 so that she didn't explicitly say she was gay, even though in the japanese she was explicitly saying she was gay

im pretty sure xbc2 was treehouse anyway, if its not the rhajat thing was still pretty hosed up

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'd be pretty surprised of Alois' ending was a localization change because I can't see any scenario where anyone goes "hey what if, actually, instead you married a woman" and then everyone approves it.

In contrast Niles & Rhajat may have just been the same as their Female/Male counterparts respectively in localization ((& honestly i thought the niles/corrin support was nice enough I didn't even know about the changes until seeing the talk about it) but you still like
had a romance
and married them
and the game acknolwedges it as such

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i cant see any scenario where anyone goes 'hey what if we took a support that actually engaged with homosexuality in a fairly earnest way and then made it about stalking' and then everyone approved it, but that one actually happened

but yeah iunno. either way non-romantic s supports are just an utterly bizarre concept even ignoring everything else and that combined with the other students only having a supports but still having paired endings kinda speaks to them probably being all over the place with regards to romantic stuff in this game. It's stupid but even if it's as written I'm not really like, mad about it, I guess? If Alois was literally the only one in the game I'd care but Linhardt's around so it at least passes the 'the developers don't hate gay people enough to forcibly bar them from the game completely' benchmark which is frankly all I care about or expect with this stuff. Though if they're gonna make an S support non-romantic, make that explicit somehow, like bring back the A+ support indicator from Fates, but there's romantic A supports between the students, so iunno.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 23, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
There's straight up dubstep in the soundtrack it appears.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's be less bad if the game wasn't awash with lesbian romances. The message they're sending is very clear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

It's be less bad if the game wasn't awash with lesbian romances. The message they're sending is very clear.
lmao 'awash'

the lesbian romance options kinda suck too, there's no cool teachers or anything and arent the rhea and sothis ones also non-romantic

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 23, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean i cant see any scenario where anyone goes 'hey what if we took a support that actually engaged with homosexuality in a fairly earnest way and then made it about stalking' and then everyone approved it, but that one actually happened

That seems like them not thinking about how the stalker male support played into the stalker lesbian archetype, just that they could reuse the already written romantic support. Maybe even see it as "fine" because Tharja was the same way (just minus the S Rank) in awakening. The (lazy) woke homophobia, as you say.

This would feel more like active spite. Based on Fates' precedent I'd just assume Alois would have 1:1 the female byleth support & paired ending, with the pronouns changed and maybe a line here or there, but from the sound of things that's not what is going on, right?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There's still three romantic options to the m/m's one.

It's not like m/m has cool teachers either.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

rannum posted:

I'd be pretty surprised of Alois' ending was a localization change because I can't see any scenario where anyone goes "hey what if, actually, instead you married a woman" and then everyone approves it.

Wasn't adult adoption often a beard thing in feudal Japan?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rhea and sothis are romantic, and some of the f/f female supports can end up in romantic relationships. None of the males can.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LostRook posted:

Wasn't adult adoption often a beard thing in feudal Japan?
Yeah it super was.

Grapplejack posted:

Rhea and sothis are romantic, and some of the f/f female supports can end up in romantic relationships. None of the males can.
I thought I heard Caspar x Linhardt was romantic?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah it super was.

I thought I heard Caspar x Linhardt was romantic?

That's the one ending I actually read the text dump for, and it's about as explicit as Ike's paired endings. Which means how romantic it is depends on the context of the supports and will likely attract people saying no homo for years because marriage wasn't explicitly mentioned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

That's the one ending I actually read the text dump for, and it's about as explicit as Ike's paired endings.
so 'explicitly romantic unless you're a gamefaqs poster'

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

so 'explicitly romantic unless you're a gamefaqs poster'

Look, here it is:

WARNING, THIS IS UNIRONICALLY THE REAL ENDING (barring things coming up that are easier to see in game than in text dump). (if you're worried about plot spoilers, there aren't any other than "there is a war in the game".)

After the war, Linhardt and Caspar abandoned their noble houses to pursue a carefree journey wandering the world. They traveled to every corner of Fódlan, and even ventured abroad now and again. Caspar got into trouble at every turn on their travels, but Linhardt was always there, begrudgingly, to get him out of it. The records of their adventures were immortalized in a book by an anonymous author, entitled "The Thousand Roads and Seven Seas." It is said they did eventually settle down, after the events in those stories, but where they actually went is unknown.

So yeah it's decently explicit considering it's basically the exact same as Ike and Soren/Ranulf's endings.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah endorph you're right I should be content with the scraps IS give us

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nevertheless, Linhardt is the only actual gay option while Edelgard, Dorothea, and Mercedes all exist for f!Byleth.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to marry all these girls, but it's not the same at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Heads up, a couple units you get for free without needing to meet their stat requirements depending on gender and which house you're in.

So according to someone who got their copy early, he recruited Sylvain and Leonie by just talking to them. The trick was, this only works with Sylvain if you play as Bylass and Leonie with Bylad.

In the Black Eagles it doesn't matter, but if you play as a girl in the Blue Lions and as a guy in the Golden Deers, you are losing a free unit.

Gameplay wise their personal abilities do support this, since they are the same with the roles reversed.

-from someone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah endorph you're right I should be content with the scraps IS give us
I'm not saying that at all dude. I get why you're frustrated. But I just don't get anything out of even the F/F stuff so I dislike the implication that the dread Lesbians are feasting upon wine and cheese.

Meaningful gay representation was never going to be in a major AAA video game made by a bunch of straight people, and what's here is like, up-and-down but at least has some angles, so I'm whatever about it. That's all I'm saying. You are free to feel another way about this. I just don't think the developers are active homophobes, just people kind of prodding at stuff they don't really understand. It does not feel like they hold any actual malice for any sexuality, unlike, like, Atlus. Which is about as much as I hope for when it comes to stuff like this in mainstream video games.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 23, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like maybe I'm the odd one out because all the solutions people propose (everyone is bi) sound even worse to me than the current state of affairs.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah sorry I got snippy with you it's just that they've been talking up the relationship part so to have it be this barren sucks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah sorry I got snippy with you it's just that they've been talking up the relationship part so to have it be this barren sucks
Eh, I don't think any of the game's actual promo material has really mentioned Byleth romance at all, it's been focusing on the student/teacher relationships. We didn't even know S supports existed until like a month ago, and nintendo reps had to be directly asked about it. And they haven't mentioned the gay stuff as any kind of promotional thing at all. That's what I mean when I say it's kind of a vestigial feature. if they were out here doing the rounds about meaningful gay rep I'd be way madder, mind, but it's clearly just thrown together - not just the gay stuff, but a lot of the romance stuff in this game, especially Byleth's involvement in it - so I can't really spare much anger for it. Especially since I'm of the opinion that the avatar shouldn't even exist and if they do exist should only be able to romance like, six-seven characters total.

Like my feelings on this have basically been an even wavelength of 'eh, whatever.' the entire time.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 23, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh im extremely hype to read all the mercedes/annette fanfiction

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

im pretty sure xbc2 was treehouse anyway, if its not the rhajat thing was still pretty hosed up

It was Nintendo of Europe, who also are bad for that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

Eh, I don't think any of the game's actual promo material has really mentioned Byleth romance at all, it's been focusing on the student/teacher relationships. We didn't even know S supports existed until like a month ago. And they haven't mentioned the gay stuff as any kind of promotional thing at all. That's what I mean when I say it's kind of a vestigial feature. if they were out here doing the rounds about meaningful gay rep I'd be way madder, mind, but it's clearly just thrown together - not just the gay stuff, but a lot of the romance stuff in this game, especially Byleth's involvement in it - so I can't really spare much anger for it. Especially since I'm of the opinion that the avatar shouldn't even exist and if they do exist should only be able to romance like, six-seven characters total.

Like my feelings on this have basically been an even wavelength of 'eh, whatever.' the entire time.

I guess to add on to this, Nintendo has brought attention to same-sex relationships exactly once (so far as I know) and it was to US Gamer as just confirmation that they could say aloud.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/confirmed-fire-emblem-three-houses-has-same-sex-romance-options
twice if you count Japan doing a follow up https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/07/19/nintendo-of-japan-comment-on-same-sex-relationships-in-fire-emblem-three-houses/

which also, I think, is the only time they've brought up romance as a thing that happens outside of embargo lifted reviewers showing off support screens in passing?

So basically just "yeah they exist".