Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alakaiser posted:

Every night I get home thinking I'll give random acts a spin, or maybe spend a little time in endless for the hell of it.

Every night I am wrong, and I immediately go into maker mode to try out new ideas. I'm not even doing anything outlandish, I just like creating levels that feel like they wouldn't be entirely out of place in an official Mario game.

Mario Maker is really cool.

I'm away from my Switch all week, and even though I don't play a ton, I'm jonesing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alakaiser posted:

Every night I get home thinking I'll give random acts a spin, or maybe spend a little time in endless for the hell of it.

Every night I am wrong, and I immediately go into maker mode to try out new ideas. I'm not even doing anything outlandish, I just like creating levels that feel like they wouldn't be entirely out of place in an official Mario game.

Yeah this is how I feel half the time. I get really guilty that I'm not playing as many levels as I'm making but the creator tool is just so fun to use.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah this is how I feel half the time. I get really guilty that I'm not playing as many levels as I'm making but the creator tool is just so fun to use.
It's okay. I'm making up for you by only playing levels and not making any. I've tried, but it doesn't grab me. I do my penance by going through a bunch of new courses and rating them. About 90% are garbage.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

I've got the opposite problem and spend half my day at work doodling ideas for a level, then being completely burned out by the time I get home and unable to work with the idea. :(

Sometimes I reply to other peoples levels, but I never feel like I can give useful feedback.

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's okay. I'm making up for you by only playing levels and not making any. I've tried, but it doesn't grab me. I do my penance by going through a bunch of new courses and rating them. About 90% are garbage.

Doing the math, that would mean over 200,000 good courses have been produced in Mario Maker 2. If we say 99.999% are garbage, that's still 2000 good courses!

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sometimes I reply to other peoples levels, but I never feel like I can give useful feedback.

Your feedback on my level was super useful! Particularly the callout around how far off the ground to place question blocks. I've been a bit more diligent when thinking through the height of elements like that and it's been huge. Been very helpful in unexpected ways too - I'm able to eyeball wall jump heights a lot better now.

I'm also lucky that I have a few local friends who play MM heavily with zero interest in making levels. Being able to watch someone play your level over their shoulder is so huge. With the level I posted in here, I ended up removing a lot of hard blocks. I had kind of lost sight of how dull smashing through all of them was since I had gotten so used to zipping around the level while I edit portions of it.

I was in game dev for quite some time until February of this year. I've missed it for a variety of reasons, but this game scratches that itch surprisingly well. Not entirely, of course, but it's pretty significant.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

Your feedback on my level was super useful! Particularly the callout around how far off the ground to place question blocks. I've been a bit more diligent when thinking through the height of elements like that and it's been huge. Been very helpful in unexpected ways too - I'm able to eyeball wall jump heights a lot better now.

I'm also lucky that I have a few local friends who play MM heavily with zero interest in making levels. Being able to watch someone play your level over their shoulder is so huge. With the level I posted in here, I ended up removing a lot of hard blocks. I had kind of lost sight of how dull smashing through all of them was since I had gotten so used to zipping around the level while I edit portions of it.

I was in game dev for quite some time until February of this year. I've missed it for a variety of reasons, but this game scratches that itch surprisingly well. Not entirely, of course, but it's pretty significant.

Thank you, that's nice to hear. :3:

Also, on the topic of having friends to playtest, shoutout to Little Mac, zfleeman and eonwe for being my surrogate friends. Watching other people play things you created is a uniquely rewarding experience and you have all been great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NofrikinfuN posted:

I've got the opposite problem and spend half my day at work doodling ideas for a level, then being completely burned out by the time I get home and unable to work with the idea. :(

Doing the math, that would mean over 200,000 good courses have been produced in Mario Maker 2. If we say 99.999% are garbage, that's still 2000 good courses!

Don't worry about feedback being useful. Just hearing "I had fun with it!" is enough for most (me included) because it's telling me that the course I spent time putting together was well spent :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

That reminds me, is there any note sound that could pass for rainfall? Or running water?

Maybe a percussive instrument? One issue with trying to make continuous sounds like running water is that the level loads in line by line which means it's going to have staccato effect regardless of what you want.

NofrikinfuN posted:

So much of Mario Maker is shouting into the void when you make a level that anything is nice feedback. "I played your level; it was fine," is useful. "I got distracted trying this in your level," is useful. "I went the wrong way," is useful. We're at a point now where the initial rush of levels is over and the goons still creating aren't likely to need a lot of basic advice.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Made an expert level course based around annoying on off gimmicks where you have to get through a mansion haunted by a single boo.

Red Switch, Boo Switch

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Pakled posted:

SMB3 Revival: Cauldron Fortress
By Too Shy Guy
RTL-BC6-JKF
Another one with a level difficulty I like! I liked the optional harder path that led to the leaf. This level would be well designed for Endless play, I think, with all the optional one-ups. The only problem I had with this one design-wise was a (probably accidental) blind jump in the room with the checkpoint. There's a point where there's a Thwomp above an upside-down-T-shaped platform, and when I approached it from the platform to the right, the cross part of the upside-down T at the bottom was not visible on my screen, even though I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything unusual to screw up the camera. I thought my only option was going to be to damage boost through the thwomp until I saw a fire bar appear at the bottom of the screen to let me know an optional one-up platform was there, and that adjusted the camera enough to let me see the platforms where I was supposed to go. Some coins located above the "arms" of that upside-down-T-shaped platform to let me know that spot was safe would have been nice.

Thanks for the feedback! I totally missed that blind jump when I was testing it, so I'll be more careful of that in the future. I try to tuck 3 or 4 one-ups away in different parts of every level specifically for Endless, so people can take whatever routes they want and still possibly cap out.

There's a big shortcut you can take if you get that leaf, too. The broken platform with the first fire bar is just long enough to take off from and skip the upper half of the room.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Sorry for quoting a post so far back!

Violen posted:

Take any criticism or suggestion from a making perspective with a grain of salt since I've only made one level in this (or anything, ever) myself, but here's my overall thoughts after clearing yours.

Not at all, everything you've given here is great feedback.

I will note that this level took me a really long time (around 10 hours). The main issue is that a vertical level, as you noted, makes timing a lot farther. It was very difficult to build the latter sections because doing the section from midway resulted in different timings than if I did it from the start. As a result, I spent a *lot* of time working through various parts and ended up with a sort of design blindness. Its also why I way-overshot the difficulty; I had a really hard time judging how difficult different sections were objectively.

Violen posted:

There should really be a 3-enemy stack there, because a player that properly read the situation and acted quickly enough perform the solution shouldn't be punished by having Yoshi's tongue miss both shells by threading between them, because that's besides the point. They already passed the test you cared about them passing.

Oddly enough I was trying for a 3-enemy stack and couldn't get the beetles to stack. This is exactly why I ended up with a giant stack of POWs after the beetle shot; I was trying to make it a bit tighter but couldn't get a design that a player could reasonably read and prepare to react to, so I widened the margin of error.

The icicles were inconsistent, and ranged from 1-3, and I didn't think that was much of an issue, but in retrospect I should have just removed the turtle jump and redone a bunch of that section.

I really would like to redo a bunch of this to make it better, but at the same time BarbarousKing released a level that used the same idea, and he obviously did it a whole lot better than I did. So that's kind of de-motivating me from working on a v2 revision.

Thanks for all the feedback!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really gotta stop posting these at like, 1am, giving it a bump because it's my Magnum Opus.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Same. I really, really like making levels and I basically justify it with how bad I am at Mario, haha.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really gotta stop posting these at like, 1am, giving it a bump because it's my Magnum Opus.

Same. Reposting this one:

Frozen - Let It Go: N97-2BC-0FG

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 23, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for some Random Acts of Mario.

jumpy dude
b5r-gqx-dpf
By: SecretSquirrel

Nice layout to the stage. At one point I got called away and thought I paused the switch but came back twenty minutes later to find that I had been killed over and over and over again so enjoy your new place in the Super Expert queue.

Plain of Fun
JG2-Q22-DRF
By: Junpei Hyde

Replicates the feel of an early stage in Mario 3 well, but there's not a lot more to say than that.

Dunes of Doom
25F-LC2-7YF
By: Unsound Logic

That early section with the offscreen thwomps is just wrong. The rest of the stage is fine, but don't do that.

Swampy Piranhas
X4X-F9X-5BG
By: OneMoreTime

Really good flow to this level which moves fast.

Magma Momentum Killer
8V8-CH3-2GG
By: Suicidal Maniac

So the title is accurate with my momentum constantly being killed in this stage. There is a real problem that there's a required key to complete the level which is hidden in a hidden pipe in a very early portion of the stage. I found the pipe early on and I still did not stumble onto the fact that there was a key there for a while. This is unfair to players who as the hidden key is completely disconnected from the challenge of the stage.

Big Bob-omb On The Summit
FHF-WL5-M6G
By: Kirios

This stage is a bit of a mess. The lack of boundaries on some areas isn't accounted for and the worst of this is the bob-bomb itself which just walks off the stage before players get to them unless the player takes off running instantly and jumps up perfectly.

Covetous Cliffs
3X8-2H3-8PF
By: Salastine

Cool coin collection stage which mixes in solid platforming with more than enough coins to get through.

Forest of Few Ideas
HDP-SQ0-BDF
By: Chronojam

This stage was short enough that the hidden key gimmick wasn't annoying, but that first one in the hammer bro who couldn't be jumped on until he moved was not great.

Somehow a page where a "Let It Go" musical level was posted had something even worse than that on it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

Somehow a page where a "Let It Go" musical level was posted had something even worse than that on it.

Man, I'm honored that I'm getting the reaction I wanted for my Jam level. It almost is my magnum opus though. It was loving hard to make.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Man, I'm honored that I'm getting the reaction I wanted for my Jam level. It almost is my magnum opus though. It was loving hard to make.

I haven't touched it yet, I'm waiting to do a bunch of jam levels in a batch. I'm trying to store up my bile so I can unleash it properly at the right moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random Stranger posted:

I'm very proud of it :)

Rhythmancer
Jun 5, 2004
Mr. Saturn
It's a bit of a trip to come home from work and find one of your levels has blown up with like, 600 new plays.

Anyway, a new one. I wanted to do something where lava affects a significant part of the course. The main path isn't too tough, but if you move quick when the lava is down, well...

Volcano Fortress
4KY-5G4-H0G

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the hell do trees count towards the enemy limit in 3D world

I can't even fathom what kind of asinine internal logic required that

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

What happened to Twitter? I was checking the thread Twitter and it's all gross now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Lobster posted:

What happened to Twitter? I was checking the thread Twitter and it's all gross now.

https://twitter.com/yang_bo_dudnik/status/1152422415663714306

Here you go

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a Firefox version too

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
This is probably my most well made and balanced level to date. Mario finds more than bats in this haunted tower. He finds:

Boos in the Belfry
DF3-LVL-DMG

The above code is the fixed version.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 11, 2019

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Junior has breached containment. You must enter TimePod R&D... but be warned. Its secrets must not be known to the public.

TimePod 2: Gravity of the Stitch
EDIT: Re-uploaded to fix the second checkpoint and maybe improve clarity.
8KL-2R2-GCG

And one level I hadn't added to the sheet yet, but is getting some decent traction online. A short level about snake blocks, but not in that way.

Fast Fuses
JBD-GFF-RYF

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 24, 2019

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Okay....

0 Aces - NTP-K2X-61G - No gimmick, just a regular Mario level. Yes, I like the desert theme a lot.

Fridge Bridge - PD2-T74-YSF - I'm not sure why only the night ice theme is the one where the ground is slippery. I guess they had to differentiate them.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thank you Goon sir.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Servers are about to go offline for maintenance. Wonder if there'll be a patch for MM.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is probably my most well made and balanced level to date. Mario finds more than bats in this haunted tower. He finds:

Boos in the Belfry
6BM-BJ2-6WG

I had fun with this. My only real bad experiences were the boos with the blasters on their heads and get jumbled and actually block the exit instead of making a neat bridge and the boss fight where you wait for a star can feel off until you find the safe spot. Otherwise it was fun to try and wrangle the boos and I thought the mechanism to keep them on a leash was really interesting.

Rather Watch Them posted:

Junior has breached containment. You must enter TimePod R&D... but be warned. Its secrets must not be known to the public.

TimePod 2: Gravity of the Stitch

I liked this one as well. I felt like I might have broken sequence with the red coins though, since I hit the checkpoint first? Either way, it was fun to navigate. I wasn't crazy about the Bowser Junior fight, but it was fair. It only really gets overwhelming if you accidentally trigger all the bullseye blasters at once.

Good stuff all. I'd play more, but maintenance is about to start, so :argh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

I left a comment at the relevant point in this level, but I found a "shortcut" through sheer bullheaded stupidity. There was this bafflingly hard part where I had to bomb through a thick ice wall over spikes while repeatedly collecting an infinite fire flower in order to not die. I almost ran out of time doing this, but I successfully bombed my way through to the end of the level... and the locked door I was supposed to have come out of. :v:

You're not the only one! I decided to revamp the level to make the hammer bro murder victory lap easier/clearer:

Impossible Ice Fortress v2

JMH-5P2-8DG

Is there any chance the original can get deleted/updated? (I can always resubmit the new one if the old one just gets blown off)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

NofrikinfuN posted:

I had fun with this. My only real bad experiences were the boos with the blasters on their heads and get jumbled and actually block the exit instead of making a neat bridge and the boss fight where you wait for a star can feel off until you find the safe spot. Otherwise it was fun to try and wrangle the boos and I thought the mechanism to keep them on a leash was really interesting.

Thank you!

Funny enough, my wife ran into the same issues when she played and I definitely never thought the former would be a problem. I have some small tweaks to adjust for that and I changed the boss fight (The hammer bro is now a chain chomp. He keeps you from staying in the safe zone, but with only one fire piranha to worry about, you can more feasibly dodge). Once the servers are back up, I hope to get an even better version uploaded. :)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Looks like the upload limit is going to double after today's maintenance.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

just think, a person could upload over 21 minutes of 20 sec speedruns with that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so happy omg

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They did that sooner than expected. I figured they were going to let things go for a couple of months before increasing the cap.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Wooooooo! I can continue shitposting for another two months at my current rate!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was wondering if my [MYSTERY LEVEL] would have to be culled to make room. I'm glad it gets to survive and continue being a horrible blight for a while longer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Honestly I wish this was still tied to your maker score just to encourage some degree of effort out of people.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly I wish this was still tied to your maker score just to encourage some degree of effort out of people.

Same, I don't even mind that I'd be stuck with the small cap as long as it meant 50% less garbage from trolls.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I made a chaotic urban-themed course because I think urban environments are underused in Mario games.

Shroom City Skyline

814-5ST-JYG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

I went into MM1 recently and discovered that my upload limit had gone up since the last time I played. It used to only be 20, but when I logged in after almost two years, it was up to 30.

In one way the old system was better because it encouraged you to try harder, but in another way it was less good because the reason I stopped playing MM1 was because I felt like I couldn't get noticed at all and my ideas were outpacing my level limit, so why bother? As of last night I've got twice as many levels uploaded to my account than I ever had in the first game and in that time I've uploaded half a dozen levels that I eventually took down because they didn't meet my ever-increasing standard of quality.