Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

If anybody asks just pretend artificer is the real ranger rework, and replace every mention of "science" with "nature."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ve played a wizard in AL to 18 and basically forgot about using the familiar in combat after a while because it’d either get pasted instantly by any AoE or because every good wizard spell is a save or suck. I’m down with making other familiars as attractive as the owl but having a magic bird friend is not nearly the game breaking menace some claim it to be.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Was about to type this. “Hey bird, help me persuade this shopkeeper to give us a deal.”

A parrot that goes "rawk this place looks flammable rawk rawk ten percent off who's a pritty birb?"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I have an owl familiar on my warlock which is probably more helpful on me because it can actually help me eldritch blast poo poo but I don't do that mostly because I don't want to deal with it. So it's a scout and that's about it. Doesn't change whether or not owl familiars are bad or not but telling my DM "my owl assists me on every attack I make" just seems like an excuse to make her kill my owl every combat and make me resummon it all the time and I'm just not in the mood to deal with that and skip it.

Edit: I just wanted an owl friend, that's all.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Did you read the section on ability checks where it actually tells you how helping works? Because a familiar can help you with almost nothing.

The're not gonna help you stick a 20 on a STR check but they help with perception and nature and navigation survival and granting chain pact help with any INT check and once again; help bunches with the attack cantrips that keep multis level with pure fighters. Lots of classes get familiars who are not wizards.

For the umpteenth time: I would like ideas to make the other non owl familiars comparable to the familiar with flyby who helps with the attack cantrip that aren't just breaking the spell or giving every familiar flyby. I guess it simply is not possible and that is fine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Glagha posted:

Yeah I have an owl familiar on my warlock which is probably more helpful on me because it can actually help me eldritch blast poo poo but I don't do that mostly because I don't want to deal with it. So it's a scout and that's about it. Doesn't change whether or not owl familiars are bad or not but telling my DM "my owl assists me on every attack I make" just seems like an excuse to make her kill my owl every combat and make me resummon it all the time and I'm just not in the mood to deal with that and skip it.

Advantage on 1 out of your 2-3 EBs per round is like w/e. I pass it off to whoever in the party hits harder.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Advantage on 1 out of your 2-3 EBs per round is like w/e. I pass it off to whoever in the party hits harder.

Yeah, it's a lot better for granting advantage to a bigass Guiding Bolt or a Rogue that's unable to generate advantage that round.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Willie Tomg posted:

For the umpteenth time: I would like ideas to make the other non owl familiars comparable to the familiar with flyby who helps with the attack cantrip that aren't just breaking the spell or giving every familiar flyby. I guess it simply is not possible and that is fine.

This, because just like how the feat that lets you speak more languages competes with just... Having higher stats and being better at what you do, the owl familiar competes with getting like... A toad. You can spend a spell slot on saying "I have a pet frog that I talk to"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Inspired by this thread, I convinced my group to go with the one roll per person array (5 players plus DM).

18, 16, 16, 15, 13, 10

lol time for something that's super MAD

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Find Familiar owns and is peak D&D because there’s exactly one way to use it that isn’t a trap option.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

isn't 5e ranger like famously awful? do you want to balance everything around that?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin posted:

isn't 5e ranger like famously awful? do you want to balance everything around that?

Nah, but I think buffing everything up to the versatility and bookkeeping complexity of 5E Wizard is also a huge mistake?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Make rangers Aragorn again.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Willie Tomg posted:

Which is the attack you get per round unless you're a martial multi in which case its advantage you wouldn't get otherwise, and also every check in the entire campaign and it doesn't use a slot during short rest and it liberates the party to do other stuff and I'm done with this conversation. Its a magical buddy that's very powerful and SHOULD be used by magical classes, IMO.

This. This is the issue. Please more ideas about this. I apologize for my part in this Find Familiar referendum, and beg this thread for more ideas about how to use familiars that are not owls in particular without just giving all of them flyby.

Almost certainly terribly unbalanced ideas because I'm typing these just before 2am:
Bat - Echolocation: While adjacent to you, your bat nullifies advantage attackers get from being unseen.
Cat - Nine Lives: Damage done to a conscious cat is always non-lethal (allowing them to be revived with healing magic in combat, or if you don't want to waste a spell, just revive normally from unconsciousness without having to recast the ritual)
Frog & Snake - Poisonous: While adjacent to you, your magical frog adds 1d4 poison to all your attacks and damaging spells.
Hawk - Harrier: As an action, a Hawk can make swooping feints on a target in movement range, distracting the target without directly closing distance enough to cause opportunity attacks. Harried targets have disadvantage on attacks against the wizard.
Rat - Augh augh it's in my shirt get it off me get it off me - Your rat can occupy the same space as a creature. If it does, it's assumed to be directly on the creature. Any attacks which specifically target the rat do full damage to the creature the rat is on. Attacks and effects that damage the rat but do not target it specifically (e.g. AoE attacks) are not affected in this way. Creatures can make a contested acrobatics check as an action to remove the rat.
Raven - Mimicry - Because your raven is magical, it performs its mimicry as if it was casting a minor illusion cantrip with your spell save DC.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Nah, but I think buffing everything up to the versatility and bookkeeping complexity of 5E Wizard is also a huge mistake?

i won't argue that, but i think the problems with wizard are much deeper than just the familiar.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

No, you're wrong. Like, casters are better than non-casters this is not up for debate, but rangers are just BAAAAD in 5e by any metric. They're bad, and they also have beast master which is like another level of bad on top.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

Bringing other familiars up to flying familiar quality is gonna be hard because flight is so good. It'd be a lot easier to bring flying familiars down to other familiar quality (I think my proposal that flying familiars can't take actions would go a long ways in that direction).

Didn't 2e familiars also grant stat modifiers to the wizard that had them? Like if you took a toad you got better saves vs. poison and if you had a weasel you got +1 DEX or whatever. Not that wizards need stat buffs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Glagha posted:

No, you're wrong. Like, casters are better than non-casters this is not up for debate, but rangers are just BAAAAD in 5e by any metric. They're bad, and they also have beast master which is like another level of bad on top.

Mechanically they're okayish if you don't mind playing a class whose power and utility progression essentially ends at level 8.

Its overall design is just atrocious, however.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Almost certainly terribly unbalanced ideas because I'm typing these just before 2am:
Bat - Echolocation: While adjacent to you, your bat nullifies advantage attackers get from being unseen.
Cat - Nine Lives: Damage done to a conscious cat is always non-lethal (allowing them to be revived with healing magic in combat, or if you don't want to waste a spell, just revive normally from unconsciousness without having to recast the ritual)
Frog & Snake - Poisonous: While adjacent to you, your magical frog adds 1d4 poison to all your attacks and damaging spells.
Hawk - Harrier: As an action, a Hawk can make swooping feints on a target in movement range, distracting the target without directly closing distance enough to cause opportunity attacks. Harried targets have disadvantage on attacks against the wizard.
Rat - Augh augh it's in my shirt get it off me get it off me - Your rat can occupy the same space as a creature. If it does, it's assumed to be directly on the creature. Any attacks which specifically target the rat do full damage to the creature the rat is on. Attacks and effects that damage the rat but do not target it specifically (e.g. AoE attacks) are not affected in this way. Creatures can make a contested acrobatics check as an action to remove the rat.
Raven - Mimicry - Because your raven is magical, it performs its mimicry as if it was casting a minor illusion cantrip with your spell save DC.

This is an awesome starting point, thanks!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

The thing you just wrote doesn't disagree with my post in any way. Rangers are bad. That doesn't mean Wizards are well-designed, or that Find Familiar is a fine thing for them to have.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I've used this before. It worked pretty well, felt like a challenge for the players without being "gently caress you" hard:

I don't really get why we're reducing its damage dice. That'll have almost no noticeable effect on its damage output.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Whoa, 62 new posts, I wonder if something was announce--

Oh. Just a lot of bewilderingly hostile posting about imaginary magic owls.

Like, holy poo poo.

Anyway, I've got a party of 5 level 2s and they start the dungeon they found this Sunday. I initially planned to have a rougher encounter outside and then they go in for some easier things until the very end.

They proceeded to paste 4 Kua-Toas without even taking damage (granted, I was not rolling well). So I have to vamp up the danger a bit. The last encounter will involve lair abilities in the form of a lighthouse-turned-god smashing around (they won't fight IT, just Dodge his light beam and smash attack) and I had initially set it up as 4 regular Kua-Toas and a Kua-Toa whip. Should I add an extra whip? Extra whip.and an extra regular? I can always have the lighthouse miss and paste one if I hosed up and made too many, but yeah, I could use some advice on setting up a couple of engaging encounters.

I'm trying to keep it Kua-Toa themed, but thought I'd pop in an underdark creature here or there they might be keeping as pets.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kaysette posted:

Make rangers Aragorn again.

Make Rangers a Rogue subclass oh wait they did and it's called Scout and it Kicks rear end.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Make Rangers a Rogue subclass oh wait they did and it's called Scout and it Kicks rear end.

Say more. I have only read critical comments about Scout on Reddit and such. Never played one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Smashing Link posted:

Say more. I have only read critical comments about Scout on Reddit and such. Never played one.

It's just Rogue with free proficiency + expertise on Nature and Survival.

It's bad.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Scout is a rogue that gets proficiency in Nature and Survival and can move half speed as a reaction with no opportunity attack if someone moves adjacent to them, and get 10 feet of bonus movement at 9. It is the worst Rogue by a mile, and combined with the inbuilt Rogue kit is twice as useful as a Ranger in the same situation while also being a Ranger in Ranger situations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's bad.

They also get a lot of extra movement, can stroll out of melee as a reaction, get advantage on initiative, have a kind of minor marking thing first round, and as a capstone can make an attack as a bonus action and sneak attack a second target every turn. They're cool.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Starting at 3rd level, you are difficult to pin down during a fight. You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.

Just so we're on the same page.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Mastermind is way worse than Scout you nerds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saxophone posted:

Whoa, 62 new posts, I wonder if something was announce--

Oh. Just a lot of bewilderingly hostile posting about imaginary magic owls.

Like, holy poo poo.

Well something was announced in those posts.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Keith Baker is making a new Eberron Book on the DM's Guild. It sounds like it's Planer Focused as Eberron's Planes never got super detailed.
http://keith-baker.com/announcing-project-raptor/

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kaysette posted:

Was about to type this. “Hey bird, help me persuade this shopkeeper to give us a deal.”

Anyone suddenly remembering the middenarde write-up from fatal and friends?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If Keith Baker stealth-recreates Planescape, I'll never stop playing D&D again.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Mastermind is way worse than Scout you nerds.

You're right, I spoke too strongly and forgot all the options available. Scout is alright in the context of the entire Rogue kit, but Rogues subclasses in general have a problem endemic to other 5e elements where you must be *gestures vaguely waist-height* this good to be worth taking over an Arcane Trickster. Which brings me back again to:

I'm still receptive to familiar variants comparable to owl RAW, but also am not holding my breath.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The tressym is pretty good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well it's a flying cat and regular cats are super cool.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't quite have who you are clocked, but rest assured: this is violence.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

Scout is a rogue that gets proficiency in Nature and Survival and can move half speed as a reaction with no opportunity attack if someone moves adjacent to them, and get 10 feet of bonus movement at 9. It is the worst Rogue by a mile, and combined with the inbuilt Rogue kit is twice as useful as a Ranger in the same situation while also being a Ranger in Ranger situations.

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's bad.

Sad commentary on our Ranger brothers.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Beastmasters should absolutely be able to warg to scout through their companions eyes. It should probably be the 7th level ability. Some kind of stealth boost for the beast companion should be in there too. By 11th level Beastmasters should be able to summon and recruit local wildlife to their cause, have permanent speak to animal. In my campaign I'm likely offering options like that to our BM.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

lmao yes let's control wizard abilities by making them scavenge for bat guano, that's always worked.

How do you even "abuse" find familiar?

What makes it so scary?

Show me on the character sheet where the owl touched you.

Bat guano is a non-costed component. A focus or pouch handles that.

Incense costs 10g per use. So if you don't want endless scouting or infinite free advantage, have them purchase costed materials instead of treating the world like it's got some big remote banking system.

If you don't mind those things, then don't do it. This isn't a question of nerfing someone into the ground because gently caress their enumerated abilities. It's a question of whether you enforcing RAW makes a better game or you'd rather let it slide. That'll vary from game to game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Our wizard chose the flying monkey and we always make fun of it/I have NPCs notice the super conspicuous attempt at scouting. Just adjust the game around it flying familiars, it's not a super huge deal. Buildings have roofs, I'm sure people could get up to no good inside of one and ruin their scouting ability.