Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

PsyClops posted:

If you give the Air Raider some more shotguns and SMGs and such, you get the Tactical from EDF:IA.
While I'd love it, I'm pretty sure you'd get a lot of purists getting a bit out of sorts about it.
Yeah well they can suck eggs, the Air Raider was always a Ranger offshoot and whenever they make changes to one class its largely to the others detrement. Also Ranger had deployables and vehicles first, you don't get more 'Purist' than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

All Air Raider really needs is the ability to sprint like a ranger.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Air Raider needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

It'd be cool if they could summon more soldiers to back them up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, you were the air raider i was playing with last night who had ammo and rof cheats turned on. you killed that wing diver so many times.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd give air raiders a really good weapon type that only works underground. depth crawlers are merely okay.

Give the sub-projectiles in Limpet Splendors higher bullet speed, piercing, and a little more damage. Boom - you're done.

Note: They didn't do that in EDF 5, but the Air Raider in EDF 2 for the Vita's Limpet Splendors/Detectors are really, really good for those reasons.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Due to the difficulty in recruiting more warm bodies as soldiers get melted by webs the EDF has developed limited AI robot soldiers that Air Raiders can bring in and command. No machine can hope to match the finely honed physical discipline of a Ranger, but they can follow an Air Raider around and shoot bugs. Higher levels get you robot Fencers and Wing Divers. Alternate tree of AI vehicles to help out.

The other EDF soldiers that appear in missions will still scale better, but at least you can make some cold robotic bodies to take hits for you. Based off decoy technology so they pop like balloons and high tier ones wear maid outfits.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blind Duke posted:

Due to the difficulty in recruiting more warm bodies as soldiers get melted by webs the EDF has developed limited AI robot soldiers that Air Raiders can bring in and command. No machine can hope to match the finely honed physical discipline of a Ranger, but they can follow an Air Raider around and shoot bugs. Higher levels get you robot Fencers and Wing Divers. Alternate tree of AI vehicles to help out.

The other EDF soldiers that appear in missions will still scale better, but at least you can make some cold robotic bodies to take hits for you. Based off decoy technology so they pop like balloons and high tier ones wear maid outfits.

Automated drones?!? Those should be illegal

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Automated drones. Two eyes, two arms, two legs, bipedal...just like us.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Iron rain had air raider and ranger merged and it was actually pretty good, except for the part where aside from satellite strikes airstrikes were onetime use. In general iron rain had a lot of good ideas held back by bad ones. They made support devices something you could have as many of regardless as long as you had the carry capacity, they gave consistent weapon unlocks, and they introduced the prowl rider, a class that was basically the same as the ranger in iron rain but gave up some carry weight in exchange for a attack on titan grappling hook. If there was one thing I would want to carry over to every other edf game, it would be everyone being able to carry support devices and grenades and landmines and turrets and laser tanks and....

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

giving Ranger a grapple launcher would be a huge improvement. they really stick out as the class that doesn't get anything super cool, they just shoot things really good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm fine with where ranger is in 5 aside from the underpowered rocket launchers and incredibly harsh damage dropoff for assault rifles. they have all of their previous strengths plus bikes for long distance travel and sprinting for medium distances.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Leal posted:

Why the gently caress do I play wing diver.

Yeah this guy's using poo poo that only drops on inferno in the DLC "wait the game wasn't hard enough for you" mission packs, this is the post game. But MAN, it's... it's something

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Blattdorf posted:

Croteam had something going with the first two games and they decided to go in a completely opposite direction ever since. Serious Sam 3 at least had flashes of brilliance here and there.
This. I loving hope they figured out how to hit their original brilliance with the next game but I'm not holding my breath.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Blattdorf posted:

Croteam had something going with the first two games and they decided to go in a completely opposite direction ever since. Serious Sam 3 at least had flashes of brilliance here and there.

I always thought of EDF as japanese Serious Sam, except better in every way. But Croteam is amazing when it comes to developing engines, I love how they give you like 50 gpu/cpu options. Looks like they're going for much bigger scenes in SS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvaNItwUCk

But how do we deal with all that without airstrikes?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HolyKrap posted:

I always thought of EDF as japanese Serious Sam, except better in every way. But Croteam is amazing when it comes to developing engines, I love how they give you like 50 gpu/cpu options. Looks like they're going for much bigger scenes in SS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvaNItwUCk

But how do we deal with all that without airstrikes?

I'm thinking cannonballs

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'd be down for giving ranger more but I don't think merging them would be the right move because than you'd just pick the loadout of... a ranger or an airraider. You'd functionally be playing one or the other class anyhow (although if what really does it for you is 'air raider but can sprint' I dunno what to tell you)

Honestly I'd like it if you could slot in a different movement tech for your shift button with sprint as the ol' reliable but like that other guy said have other stuff that gets as crazy as an airstrike style blink teleporter. Hoverboard, wallwalky boots... just go apeshit

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bike that goes on walls please

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If I'd make a change, it would be to delete cave missions. I have never played with anyone who actually enjoys doing cave missions, and in every playthrough where I'm playing MP there's an audible groan whenever people realize it's a cave mission. Every single cave mission is an identical process of "lure bugs to choke, spam all guns into choke until wave dead, move to next wave, repeat" and it sucks and is boring. That would immediately fix Air Raider's greatest design weakness.

They could also actually buff limpet guns to a usable state(seriously multiply their damage by 5 to 10 times and they might be reasonable weapons to take sometimes) and if they want to make stuff like Suppress Guns they need to actually test them to see if they're actually usable in practical gameplay(because let me tell you, the place I want to be with an Air Raider is literally point blank with a one shot shotgun that takes 5 seconds to reload).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 23, 2019

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Hwurmp posted:

Light Mortars or Hand Cannons.

Thanks - pairing a spear with those two is a really good way to shoot and scoot - hadn't clicked with those weapons earlier, but now I'm on a tear.

Is there a trick to the the Spine Drivers? Seems like Blasthole Spears do comparable DPS and can penetrate.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Kanos posted:

If I'd make a change, it would be to delete cave missions. I have never played with anyone who actually enjoys doing cave missions, and in every playthrough where I'm playing MP there's an audible groan whenever people realize it's a cave mission. Every single cave mission is an identical process of "lure bugs to choke, spam all guns into choke until wave dead, move to next wave, repeat" and it sucks and is boring.

That would immediately fix Air Raider's greatest design weakness.

Eh, I don't mind them actually and I'm basically married to air-raider. I think its ranger who needs love, although if I could give air-raider one thing it'd be a goddamn deployable wall, electrified or something so the bugs can't walk up it and a net gun or something. Because there is no way to physically block bugs from getting where they wanna be short of killing them. Napalm kinda functions but I wanna block a LOTTA bugs for a while

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 23, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Motherfucker posted:

Eh, I don't mind them actually and I'm basically married to air-raider

I can get through them but they're almost always the most boring and forgettable chore stages in any given game. When do you get hype for "gently caress yeah it's a cave mission!"?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got lost in half the cave missions and there was no arrow telling me where to go. Why have something that appears in only a few missions?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Spine driver is when you want to have no wind-up, but more damage than the fist. Sometimes handy for drones.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Kanos posted:

If I'd make a change, it would be to delete cave missions. I have never played with anyone who actually enjoys doing cave missions, and in every playthrough where I'm playing MP there's an audible groan whenever people realize it's a cave mission. Every single cave mission is an identical process of "lure bugs to choke, spam all guns into choke until wave dead, move to next wave, repeat" and it sucks and is boring. That would immediately fix Air Raider's greatest design weakness.

They could also actually buff limpet guns to a usable state(seriously multiply their damage by 5 to 10 times and they might be reasonable weapons to take sometimes) and if they want to make stuff like Suppress Guns they need to actually test them to see if they're actually usable in practical gameplay(because let me tell you, the place I want to be with an Air Raider is literally point blank with a one shot shotgun that takes 5 seconds to reload).

I actually love cave missions but for a very specific reason that unfortunately doesn't seem to be in EDF 5. Air raider, bring a bike and some C4, strap it on and blow the gently caress out of everything. Healing support is optional

I guess that's ranger's job in EDF 5 but I'm at like mission 95 on hard and haven't found any explosives beyond level 1. Also seems like it's easy to fail spectacularly with how easy you fly off your bike now

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Air Raider just needs a better crawler machine to kill bots. Meanwhile, the cave system is where the ironically the Wing Diver is most powerful because enclosed areas make her lighting guns kill enemies through walls. Also the reflect guns just bounce all over.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

drill tank, writes itself.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
cave missions are okay when it's fairly obvious where to go. all cave missions ought to have waypoints.

it's getting lost running around 15~ or so tile pieces with no enemies around that makes them turbo suck

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Thanks - pairing a spear with those two is a really good way to shoot and scoot - hadn't clicked with those weapons earlier, but now I'm on a tear.

Is there a trick to the the Spine Drivers? Seems like Blasthole Spears do comparable DPS and can penetrate.

There are certain very specific level ranges where Blastholes won't one-shot black ants or brown spiders, but the Spine Driver can manage it. The shorter attack animation is also better if you're doing most of your fighting with a Reflector or whatever else is in your other hand. It's not really worth it, though.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I just wish I had a simple direct fire option with even a 100m of range as the air raider that wasn’t limpet based.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I actually liked the 4.1 limpets, in 5 the shot speed is so bad its hard to hit with things

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

4.1 limpets are a crutch for singleplayer. In co-op, support gear or ZE-GUNs will always be a better use of a weapon slot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why use a limpet in 5 when you can use an airstrike that does more damage, has more aoe and will reload faster?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you aren't at least a little worried about dropping your air support directly on top of yourself to kill a single spider harassing you, you aren't using strong enough air support

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Why use a limpet in 5 when you can use an airstrike that does more damage, has more aoe and will reload faster?

Three situations: Cave missions, teleport ships and shieldbearers.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I love that they added a third equipment slot so Air Raiders can take two strikes and a support weapon, and the universal response is to take three strikes.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I feel like the Air Raider needs more robust close-combat options to help them against being overrun. turrets and mines are easily overwhelmed, and your flamethrower-wielding fast mechs underperform and have saltine crackers for armor.

Option A: Better CQB mechs/deployables/guns.

I'm cool with the Air Raider not getting conventional, high-damage weapons, but how about some zany science-guns that give him some breathing room? A "freezethrower" that slows bugs and shoves them back; Roomba bombs that act like decoys to draw away swarms; Spider-web grenades that can pull pesky drones to the ground. Additionally, they would synergize great with airstrikes.

On the vehicle side of things, I would like to see a class of mechs that more-or-less function like an oversized Fencer. Instead of a powerful leap, it can activate thrusters that let you maneuver your mech like a bike for a few seconds, allowing you to dodge attacks or close in on enemies. In addition to the flamethrowers/shotguns, slap on some unique hardware like a massive pilebunker or drill that you can use with your boost to ram through bugs.

Option B: Escape options, largely through vehicles.

Then again, with how powerful the Air Raider already is, I can see the lack of close-range capability as something intentional. In that case, how about some "Oh poo poo" bugout vehicles that emphasize speed over firepower? Chicken-walker mechs that stride over the battlefield but are paper-skinned; MGS3-style single-person hovercrafts that act like mini-helicopters for fast repositioning; Hell I'll take a Grape that can climb walls/not get stuck on every curb.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Just got to mission 41 and getting absolutely wrecked by green lasers. Any loadout recommendations? I'm playing ranger with an assault rifle and a sniper.

The final part of the mission where tons of enemies get dropped, wrecks me.

Basically, when you get to the last phase of the mission (that is when the base starts rising), immediately run away and take up position somewhere far off with some buildings for cover, ignoring the instructions command is giving you about getting close. Then, start sniping the lasers, preferably the green ones whenever you have a clear shot on them.
I did it with a rocket launcher instead of a sniper rifle, but the general strategy should work just fine regardless.
I had accidentally picked up a sniper rifle wielding ranger squad and a fencer squad during the earlier parts of the mission and most of the health pickups I grabbed was just for keeping them alive while they helped me with whatever enemies strayed over to our sniping position.

Once you have removed most of the cannons, you can start inching your way towards the base and clearing things out bit by bit. Just keep moving around while you're out sniping to avoid the artillery fire, unless you take the time to clear those cannons, too.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
How do 4.1 Fencers deal with Retarius in an efficient manner?

Everything long range (Gallic Cannons, Heavy Mortars) has a really nasty arc and if I get tagged by a Retarius web (such as through a million buildings), that's basically game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We all love our fancy guns and loadouts in the fencers and wing divers, and the sheer firepower of air raiders.

But I still play ranger first. Being an ordinary footslogger armed with whatever guns he can get his normal rear end hands on and the irrepressible pride of screaming EDF at all times of the day...

Just captures the very spirit of the game, ya know?