Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

We live in an era when Slaanesh has amazing, flavorful sculpts like the Enrapturess and Syll'Eske and I saw a forum post where some guy was talking about using that piece of poo poo notebook margin cheesecake model because the new stuff was too PC or whatever

Some peoples' brains froze at 12

These people are a tiny minority thankfully. I was on "40k for grown ups" earlier and the vast majority like the new repentia and shot down people saying stuff like muh "dark sexuality"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Considering the Imperium's 1984 influence I'm not sure encouraging sexuality makes any sense.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The Daemonettes are not my favorite, but the rest of the new Slaanesh line is loving fantastic. Every single new scuplt has been something I instantly wanted to pick up even if I'd never play it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crini posted:

So you want to open up 40k to the untapped foot fetish wargaming market?

It's 2019. It's important to be inclusive.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Notice how one of the heads is gray? He's from the Chaplain. I made a two-part mold out of plastic and copied the head with green stuff. Took 4-5 iterations to get right. I also copied the Primaris Librarian shoulder pad.

The most difficult part was removing the rib cage chest piece from the Chaplain and replacing it with a regular one. I used green stuff to fill in the gaps and extended the robe to smooth it all out.

Ah that makes sense now, I hadnt even considered making a mold. The end result looks really drat good.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

drat that's nice looking. I genuinely don't know if the teal works with the helmet, the shade seems really vibrant compared to the muted browns and tans of the armor. Personally I would go with a different color, like a gray blue (using a color wheel the brown's complementary color is #3C748B).

In terms of basing, what about a snow base?

Ya I was torn about the helms, being Devastators they normally have red helmets, but if you can see by the red eye lens, it kinda gets lost in the brown. So I went pure ham-theme there, was thinking Jade Lions Chapter (I have some puppetswar lion pauldrons in the mail for characters) I wasn't sure how it would look as I painted the helmets separately, but I like it, it does pop in real life as well.

I have some conversions in mind, and they are not remotely legal models, so all proxy as something, but I am getting a good hobby buzz so far off making up poo poo.

I hadn't really considered snow....that..that might work

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 23, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

We live in an era when Slaanesh has amazing, flavorful sculpts like the Enrapturess and Syll'Eske and I saw a forum post where some guy was talking about using that piece of poo poo notebook margin cheesecake model because the new stuff was too PC or whatever

Some peoples' brains froze at 12

Slaanesh is my favorite Chaos God. When EC finally drop they're going to look amazing with deep, interesting fleshed out lore, and despite all that every FB group, forum, and every overheard grog at every FLGS will be in "haha drugs and rape" mode from now til eternity. I can't wait. No really I can't.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Slaanesh is my favorite Chaos God. When EC finally drop they're going to look amazing with deep, interesting fleshed out lore, and despite all that every FB group, forum, and every overheard grog at every FLGS will be in "haha drugs and rape" mode from now til eternity. I can't wait. No really I can't.

I'm not buying any new stuff in the hope EC get a codex. I'll buy it all and I'll mix in my heresy kakophani for fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xenolalia posted:

Ah that makes sense now, I hadnt even considered making a mold. The end result looks really drat good.

Thanks! It's surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it.

Mr.Booger posted:

Ya I was torn about the helms, being Devastators they normally have red helmets, but if you can see by the red eye lens, it kinda gets lost in the brown. So I went pure ham-theme there, was thinking Jade Lions Chapter (I have some puppetswar lion pauldrons in the mail for characters) I wasn't sure how it would look as I painted the helmets separately, but I like it, it does pop in real life as well.

I have some conversions in mind, and they are not remotely legal models, so all proxy as something, but I am getting a good hobby buzz so far off making up poo poo.

I hadn't really considered snow....that..that might work

If you like it then great!

Yeah I think snow would be a lot of fun and really show off the model.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I got two Contemptor Dreads, and I've 3D printed Twin Lascannons and Twin Autocannons for them now. The weapon loadouts are a small part of the model, so that shouldn't be a problem for anyone, right?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
:siren: Bonus round :siren:

quote:

I was planning on starting a SoB army when they came out, but I've been extremely nonplussed by the renders showed to date. They are just sort of there, and I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out why these models feel so bland compared to the technically inferior metal ones, thinking that they'll probably look better when painted - but today's renders have completely turned me off of getting the army. Who wants to run a army of soccer moms who just got out of their spin class?

quote:

I don't have a problem with feminine. I have a problem with them looking like soccer moms on a morning jog. They are about as threatening as that middle aged lady who loudly counts how many items are in your cart behind you in the 10 items or less lane.

I'd like them to be more feminine though. Even without the bondage gear, the earlier Repentias look both buff as hell and feminine - ladies you don't want to feth with. The new ones all look like they get together to discuss romance novels over tea.

quote:

They look like the perfect example of design by committee there repentia after they have been de40ked.
I mean even the ritual nails etc look more safe,sane and consensual than grimdark, except the fleur de lobotomy that jut looks gak.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh no they look consensual.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Reynold posted:

I was looking around at the GW site's Web Exclusives section and well, they still have those chaos familiars, including...

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/8leK9BK.png :nws:

So I hate this cat girl familiar and am on a mini crusade to get rid of it. I’ve written to GW in the past with the below. If anyone wants to use it as a starting point or crib from it wholesale, please be my guest:

quote:

Hello,

I am a long time and happy customer, but I wished to draw your attention to the Chaos familiars set you sell on your webstore:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Familiars-2016

Whilst many of the models are very characterful and charming, I find the cat lady familiar to not live up to the inclusive atmosphere you are clearly trying to foster. It’s great seeing a wider range of representation both in models, fiction and via Warhammer TV and Warhammer Community. May I suggest that you consider removing the cat lady familiar from both the kit and photos on the web store? All the other models are so dynamic and menacing. And then the only obviously female model is both static and almost completely naked. It’s very jarring. It’s so easy for just one thing to sour a newcomer’s impression to the hobby. Even with 9 models the kit is still great value.

Name

Also I wrote a spoiler free review of Space Marine Conquests: Apocalypse.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I had to google the old Repentias and holy gently caress are these awful models.

Not because of the cheesecake - well, also because of that - but they're just bad, dumb, poorly executed, and in particular the posing is terrible. If they didn't have gratuitous tits hanging everywhere, they'd be universally reviled.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Milotic posted:

So I hate this cat girl familiar and am on a mini crusade to get rid of it. I’ve written to GW in the past with the below. If anyone wants to use it as a starting point or crib from it wholesale, please be my guest:

Also I wrote a spoiler free review of Space Marine Conquests: Apocalypse.

Cat Lady looks more like Cat Girl, what the gently caress

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Geisladisk posted:

I had to google the old Repentias and holy gently caress are these awful models.

Not because of the cheesecake - well, also because of that - but they're just bad, dumb, poorly executed, and in particular the posing is terrible. If they didn't have gratuitous tits hanging everywhere, they'd be universally reviled.

I remember thinking the poses were good back in third or whatever. The metal models on general were very good at the dawn of plastics (howling banshees were awesome as well). I think if they weren't so stupid otherwise I'd still like the poses but everything about the models is 14 year old edgy boy and I won't be running them with my sisters when the new codex is out. I'm not sold on spending a lot replacing the sisters units but I'm on board for the new carapace and body mod repentia. They look rad.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Milotic posted:

This is a very good idea and thank you for posting it. If someone is looking for an alternative letter, here's the one I sent:

quote:

To whom it may concern,

I've been a GW customer for many years. I was away from the hobby and came back relatively recently. I was surprised to learn this week that one particular model remains for sale by GW. In light of modern sensibilities, and the excellence of GW's model range, the model is jarring and pretty gross. The model to which I refer is the cat girl chaos familiar:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Chaos-Familiars-2016?_requestid=8655122

There's a valid debate about the extent to which GW should sell models with nudity given how many kids GW successfully brings into its stores and the hobby. That is not the issue with this model.

This problem is that this model depicts a nude female form, with cat ears and a tail slapped onto it, in a subservient pose designed to display the models sexual features. In any context, it's awful. I personally would be uncomfortable having a game with someone who thinks this model is a good choice, and I am frankly disappointed to see that GW is marketing and selling these things in the year 2019.

I've always enjoyed GW's products and I think the company has been making excellent choices recently. I hope it makes the choice to remove this model from sale.

Yours truly,

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's an imp with devil horns, not a cat girl.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That changes everything.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm plotting out my first 30 Ork mob of boyz; I know that conventional wisdom says choppa and slugga > shootas, but since I'm playing Evil Suns wouldn't it be useful to take some weapons that can take advantage of the "advance without penalty to assault weapons" rule? Like mixing 8-10 shootas in with the mob to stand in the back line and shoot while they close?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Riatsala posted:

I'm plotting out my first 30 Ork mob of boyz; I know that conventional wisdom says choppa and slugga > shootas, but since I'm playing Evil Suns wouldn't it be useful to take some weapons that can take advantage of the "advance without penalty to assault weapons" rule? Like mixing 8-10 shootas in with the mob to stand in the back line and shoot while they close?

I would say running boyz depends on your opponent's army.

For a 30 mob, i like to run them a few ways depending on what i'm facing:

Marines/T4 infantry: Mostly homogenous blobs, 30 blob of Shoota's, 2x 30 blob's of 20c Choppa's with 10x Shootas in the very back of the squad, ran as Evil Sunz with a Weirdboy to Da Jump the 30x Shoota's for a Turn 1 charge. The explanation for jumping the Shootas is that if you jump the Slugga boyz, the shooting they get won't be able to hit nearby targets most likely. With Shoota's, you can hit something close to your charge target and then charge. Shoota boyz are still decent in melee, especially if you cast Warpath on them in the psychic phase (you should do this, more Weirdboyz the better imo), as if they're above 20 after Overwatch, they're still getting 3 attack per model, and 4 attacks per model with Warpath. Meanwhile, the mobs with 10x Shootas are there to deliver your Choppa boyz into the fray, ideally while your big shoota mob ties up as much stuff as possible.

Disclaimer: The above scenario hardly ever works out in Orks favor.

T3 infantry: basically the same as Marines, but all the mobs are ran as 20x Choppas 10x Shootas. I prefer to capitalize on the lower toughness with more attacks, since i can actually depend on Boyz melee to wipe units versus T3 screens, and then consolidate into the juicy bits.

T5 or tougher stuff: Don't even bother with 30 Boy squads, just run a Deathskulls Battalion/Brigade with the minimum sized squads and take advantage of the deathskulls rerolls and let your Boyz objective cap.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Large foot-slogging Ork squads are seductive, but I find them unwieldy myself.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I'm a fan of mixed mobs, personally. I like to Mob Up PK nob, 9 choppas, 17 shootas, 3 big shootas with a PK nob, 8 choppas, 1 big shoota and Jump them in.

I work under the theory that some boyz are going to die before they get stuck in, so they might as well get a couple extra shots in. And if you are bringing some shootas anyways, big shoota boyz are cost efficient for their shooting.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've always heard that Shootas are the try-hard's choice

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When working with Fortis Kill Teams which makes more sense?

A) Taking 5 Intercessors, 5 Hellblasters, and splitting them into two squads of 5.

B) Taking 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, 1 Plasma Inceptor, and splitting them into two squads of 5.

C) Taking 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, 1 Plasma Inceptor, and keeping them together as a single unit.

I was always under the impression that option A was solid since it was the lowest cost but allowed two units to have ObSec.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When working with Fortis Kill Teams which makes more sense?

A) Taking 5 Intercessors, 5 Hellblasters, and splitting them into two squads of 5.

B) Taking 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, 1 Plasma Inceptor, and splitting them into two squads of 5.

C) Taking 5 Intercessors, 4 Hellblasters, 1 Plasma Inceptor, and keeping them together as a single unit.

I was always under the impression that option A was solid since it was the lowest cost but allowed two units to have ObSec.

It depends entirely on what you are facing, which missions you're playing and what the terrain is like.

For instance, if there's a lot of small scatter terrain, it makes sense to split up the teams so you can get the whole unit in cover.
If thw enemy has a lot of deep striking units that can threaten you up close, you go with a full 10-man squad to get the most out of Auspex Scan and Overwatch. If you can manage the cost of one Plasma Inceptor in each squad, you will have one less weakness for your opponents to capitalize on.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I got two Contemptor Dreads, and I've 3D printed Twin Lascannons and Twin Autocannons for them now. The weapon loadouts are a small part of the model, so that shouldn't be a problem for anyone, right?

As always with these things, anyone who objected to this would inevitably be horribly unfun to play with anyway.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I don’t understand: is that not a cromulant load-out for a Contemptor Mortis?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Schadenboner posted:

I don’t understand: is that not a cromulant load-out for a Contemptor Mortis?

I think he's worried an opponent will see non-gw bits and have a fit or something.

3D printing parts for your dreadnoughts, knights, etc should be perfectly acceptable to anybody with a reasonable brain.

So maybe 65% of warhammer players will have a conniption.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

gently caress yeah dude. Slaanesh is my 2nd favorite after Tzeentch and has soooo much potential.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I have exclusively shootas so far, but that is because they look better IMO.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Eifert Posting posted:

I find that interesting. Choppa boys in a unit of over 20, in cc, are literally one of the, if not THE, most point-per-wound efficient units in the game.

Although with a shoota they are still really good.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I find that interesting. Choppa boys in a unit of over 20, in cc, are literally one of the, if not THE, most point-per-wound efficient units in the game.

I think the theory is about averaging out their capabilities to be useful beyond throwing them into melee. For example instead of charging into a tau blob, standing and plinking fire warriors is probably more likely to succeed. It might also be good for holding an objective if needed.

This is just my lack of competitive knowledge guesses so I might be way off.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Endman posted:

I think he's worried an opponent will see non-gw bits and have a fit or something.

3D printing parts for your dreadnoughts, knights, etc should be perfectly acceptable to anybody with a reasonable brain.

So maybe 65% of warhammer players will have a conniption.

It's true, the hobby has really mellowed out.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

We gotta guy at our store who builds his own knights and dreadnoughts.

We play with him but occasionally we say playfully " buy some models, support the store." We would never tell him he cant play with us with his Box bots. Hes spent so much time on them :ohdear:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So some quick and dirty mathhammer against a target i loathe, Fire Warriors, not taking into account and potential improved saves or FNP stuff:

60 shoota shots should average 23 hits after DDD, do about 16 wounds, and then kill 8 models. That's pretty decent, and you're drat near guaranteed to get every shot from a Da Jump placement, and then that same unit with 91 attacks will go on to do 19.8 wounds to the same (now extremely dead) unit. You'll hardly ever get all 30 past overwatch, and even with 20 getting every model into fighting is tough unless you charge and pile-in almost perfectly.

Choppa boyz otoh, only get 3.795 wounds through in shooting after DDD, and then assuming a perfect melee of 121 attacks, you only go up to 26.35 wounds taken by the enemy. But once again, that effectiveness requires much more precision play and some decent luck to take advantage of.

Against MEQ's though, Boyz are terrible. Especially against Primaris. 91 attacks from shootas turns into 9.9 wounds, and 121 attacks turns into 13.17 wounds taken.

So it'll take 30 boyz a perfect fight phase, with no casualties taken, to kill 5 Intercessors.

Tl;dr don't melee Primaris with Boyz. Just shoot them to death with Loota's imo.

Hihohe posted:

We gotta guy at our store who builds his own knights and dreadnoughts.

We play with him but occasionally we say playfully " buy some models, support the store." We would never tell him he cant play with us with his Box bots. Hes spent so much time on them :ohdear:

Tell him to run them as an Orkanaught and Deff Dread respectively and no-one will bat an eye. Those are cool as hell.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 24, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Idk my friend. I’m mobile posting so I can’t pull it up, but there’s a really comprehensive wound and point per wound calculator spreadsheet I got from 4 Chan that has like every unit, weapon combination, and special rules for each unit in a faction. I was skimming across units across factions and CC boyz stood out as extremely efficient.

I don’t doubt your math, and I don’t recall if it had primaris as an enemy profile, but boyz are really good. It’s important to weight things of sounds caused by the points of the unit.

Also, I feel like every unit is bad at charging a bundle of fire warriors due to over watch and for the greater good.

E: I also get the idea that if you can advance and shoot shootas effectively, then the gain of that shooting for a phase could offset the loss of cc production in a later phase.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 24, 2019

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Only took 2 years and a month to get one quartered ala my inspiration.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Progress on my Howling Griffons. I've nearly completed 3 HQ (Captain in Gravis, 2 Lieutenants) and a full squad of Inceptors. There's minor things I have to touch up on each - bullet casings, the backpack on the Captain, metallic trim, stuff like that.

I've also decided on a basing scheme which i wanted to look like it was a dead world, and also be neutral so the models stand out more.

Anyway, here they are.

HQ Group:

Shooty Lt.

Inceptors:

Everything so far:

Batch Painting:

Current progress:

Edit: I just realized I left out my 6 Dakka Centurions and 6 Plasma Inceptors.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 24, 2019

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Maneck posted:

It's true, the hobby has really mellowed out.

Good to know. I mainly play with friends, but it's nice to know I can statistically bring 3D printed weapons and only get shouted at 50% of the time.

They are only primed so far, but you need to get close to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. It killed entire armies before the first turn.

What other reason would the Istvaan IV virus bombing be so horrific?