Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Videos/discussions talking about the strength/abilities of fictional characters and trying to compare them. Firstly because everyone knows the heroes and villains are as strong as they need to be for the story, which is why you tend to see villains being incredibly strong at the start of a season/movie and then the hero managing to fight on equal terms, a lot of the time without any real explanation as to how. It gets even more dumb when it comes to IQ/Smarts because apparently, nerds cannot differentiate between street smarts and being good at chess, so someone like the Joker is just as smart as an expert scientist in a comic book, because smart is all the same, like a pure stat attribute from a video game.

Read up on characters in anime and comic books and most characters, no matter how insignificant have at least 10 superpowers. Which means they are all strong, but not as strong as other characters. Who are not as strong as the antagonist who is super strong, except when the villain needs to be stronger than him again. They are also geniuses of several fields of science, mastered Kung-fu, Ninjutsu, telekinesis and know about three words that rhyme with orange.

Midig has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The part that pisses me off about comic book movies is that even when you have a character that harnesses the most powerful forces in the universe, they demonstrate it by...making him snap his fingers? It's such a dumb gesture. In Endgame we have to watch the good guy struggle to snap his fingers, but what does snapping your fingers have to do with using the gauntlet? It just seems super arbitrary but they fixate on it, like if they can only keep his fingers apart then he can't use it, which is stupid. Might as well have him need to complete the macarena to activate it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has to make a fist to use the gauntlet, so it's not just snapping they're trying to prevent.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He has to make a fist to use the gauntlet, so it's not just snapping they're trying to prevent.

but why. seems like a pretty big design flaw of the glove imho

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Same reason a bomb has a detonation button. A snap is something easy to do, but still not something you would do by accident.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It was thanos's main goal, he wasn't waiting for the right moment, he wanted to kill half of life as soon as possible. There's no reason to build a safety mechanism into it.

Stop trying to rationalize it, it's stupid and was solely because it looked cooler on the screen to do a snap instead of it happening instantly. That's all comic book movies are - all that matters is whether it looks cool or not, there is no rationality behind it, ever.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Or they took it from the source material. Source material which needs some sort of physical representation or feedback to let you know he did it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The further away comic book movies get from their source material, the better th ey get.

Comic books are bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Thanos’ character design is dumb af

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Thanos’ character design is dumb af

It's really dumb in general for a bad guy with god-like powers to be ultra-ripped. Why spend all that time in the gym when you are basically a god? In reality they'd be greasy twig alien dweebs like Loki.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It makes him more visually physically imposing and thus he is more visually physically imposing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

It makes him more visually physically imposing and thus he is more visually physically imposing

but what does it matter if he's not trying to rule the galaxy? He just wants to purge it of the dead weight and go play farmer. Being imposing is irrelevant when you have the powers of a god.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He's an alien, he looks like that naturally.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

but what does it matter if he's not trying to rule the galaxy? He just wants to purge it of the dead weight and go play farmer. Being imposing is irrelevant when you have the powers of a god.

HE wouldn’t have beaten the hulk if he wasn’t so swole

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Not my main language, but I like english compared to many others like most of the west. But holy hell, I wish it could slow down with all the inconsistencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9kz2TaPBzs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

but why. seems like a pretty big design flaw of the glove imho

Because he was also using the glove before he got all the stones and having the teleportation stone just on all the time is a safety hazard, obviously.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When you get caught in that dream and reality loop of snoozing your alarm and dreaming about snoozing it and you either snap awake panicking because the last time you checked it was like 9am and it's actually 3am, or you dream you snoozed your alarm a bunch when the alarm wasn't even set and then you wake up and it's actually 10pm and you've only been asleep for an hour.

Dreams about waking up and doing your morning ritual should be banned imho.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Thanos' design is especially lovely because it's a shoddy knock-off of two of Jack Kirby's New Gods:

Darkseid:

Metron:

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When people don't express themselves well. I am in a group therapy program right now and part of group therapy is being open and honest with each other and trying to get to the root of issues. This one guy, whenever he is asked how he feels or what he thinks about an open ended personal question, just answers "I dunno" automatically. It drives me bonkers because getting him to think deeply is like pulling teeth. I think its a self defense mechanism where he doesn't want to confront vulnerable parts of himself that makes him smoke meth and gang bang and never meet his children because the mom won't let him, which are some hard problems to have. But when asked to think critically about his behaviors or attitude towards things, he screws up his face like you are insulting him and blurts "I dunno." Really, do you really not know? Are you avoiding thinking it over? Are you ashamed or embarrassed by your actions and don't want to confront them with the counselor in a peer supportive environment? He's not court ordered to be there either, he is there because he seemingly wants to be, but without even trying to go deeper than I Dunno feels like a waste of time. I hope he opens up more eventually. :eng99:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
it's therapy, what do you expect. especially group therapy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cinni posted:

When people don't express themselves well. I am in a group therapy program right now and part of group therapy is being open and honest with each other and trying to get to the root of issues. This one guy, whenever he is asked how he feels or what he thinks about an open ended personal question, just answers "I dunno" automatically. It drives me bonkers because getting him to think deeply is like pulling teeth. I think its a self defense mechanism where he doesn't want to confront vulnerable parts of himself that makes him smoke meth and gang bang and never meet his children because the mom won't let him, which are some hard problems to have. But when asked to think critically about his behaviors or attitude towards things, he screws up his face like you are insulting him and blurts "I dunno." Really, do you really not know? Are you avoiding thinking it over? Are you ashamed or embarrassed by your actions and don't want to confront them with the counselor in a peer supportive environment? He's not court ordered to be there either, he is there because he seemingly wants to be, but without even trying to go deeper than I Dunno feels like a waste of time. I hope he opens up more eventually. :eng99:

Keeping your emotions bottled up is cool and manly though

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

it's therapy, what do you expect. especially group therapy

"You mean I have to consider the decisions I make in my life during therapy sessions that I am here for of my own free will?? I was just coming for the free coffee! I mean, I dunnoooo"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

because it's so easy to go to therapy and spill your guts in front of strangers. it takes time, relax

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

like, am i the only one who thinks it's a bit rich of you to call this guy out for being anxious about group therapy? at least he came out to it on his own volition, that's one of the hardest things to do, and a step in the right direction.

drat those cancer patients, why don't they just sack up

edit: you don't sound like a very supportive peer, maybe he's picking up on that, too

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 10:34 on Jul 23, 2019

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a thread for pet peeves, and no I don't harangue the guy when its his turn to speak. I listen respectfully and let him do his thing. Its only the first day I've been back at this program but apparently he has been coming back off and on for sevenish years now between jail times. Is seven years not enough time? Being open and honest can be really hard for some people, yes, so I will cut him slack about it. Just personally, from my one time being in a group with him, the lackadaisical way he comes off rubs me the wrong way. But you are right, I should be more patient with him. I dunno. :mmmhmm:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Thanos' design is especially lovely because it's a shoddy knock-off of two of Jack Kirby's New Gods:

Darkseid:

Metron:

The story as Jim Starlin tells it (which I'm sure is punched up or made up entirely) is that he was a thin Metron looking guy and Roy Thomas, the EIC for Marvel at the time, told him that if he's going to rip off a New God at least make it Darkseid.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: tankie takes akin to “the Holodomor was justified because the USSR never had another famine so Stalin was right.” Because it always leaves out that from WW2 to its collapse, the USSR avoided famine by importing massive amounts of food from the US

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Currently up to 26 years of ignoring my sister because she won't use my name instead of calling me "brother" all the time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Currently up to 26 years of ignoring my sister because she won't use my name instead of calling me "brother" all the time.

Is she Liquid Snake?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Is she Hulk Hogan?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: tankie takes akin to “the Holodomor was justified because the USSR never had another famine so Stalin was right.” Because it always leaves out that from WW2 to its collapse, the USSR avoided famine by importing massive amounts of food from the US

oh right and i bet you think stalin should have been magically able to control the weather too, right?

i hate these people too

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The fact that phone commercials seem to universally use "gigs" as their advertised speeds. Also that they think offering a "free" phone with a contract is some revolutionary idea.

and everything about the sprint commercial guy. The way he slouches over and moves his hands is so off-putting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was thanos's main goal, he wasn't waiting for the right moment, he wanted to kill half of life as soon as possible. There's no reason to build a safety mechanism into it.

Stop trying to rationalize it, it's stupid and was solely because it looked cooler on the screen to do a snap instead of it happening instantly. That's all comic book movies are - all that matters is whether it looks cool or not, there is no rationality behind it, ever.

Thanos' main goal was to gently caress a chick

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Thanos' main goal was to gently caress a chick

I like to pretend anything in the source material didn't happen because it means I don't have to think comic books.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having to endure conversations like these, especially when they say hello to you first, yet have nothing at all to say:

Like nails on a chalkboard...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If that's your conversation, I would like to present without comment that I think it's funny that you blocked out her name but not her picture to show us you talk to Girls, and also you included your sick burn at the end.

People get bored, they text people they presumably like and see if anything's going on. If you're both equally bored, it's fine to end the conversation after you establish that both of you aren't doing poo poo, unless you want to invite them to go do something.

My peeve is people who keep digging on the "how are you" question. You don't care, it's just a conversation starter, so just accept my dismissive answer.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If that's your conversation, I would like to present without comment that I think it's funny that you blocked out her name but not her picture to show us you talk to Girls, and also you included your sick burn at the end.

People get bored, they text people they presumably like and see if anything's going on. If you're both equally bored, it's fine to end the conversation after you establish that both of you aren't doing poo poo, unless you want to invite them to go do something.

My peeve is people who keep digging on the "how are you" question. You don't care, it's just a conversation starter, so just accept my dismissive answer.

No that isn't my conversation, and I am a girl who talks to other girls (and boys too!), and no that wasn't my sick burn at the end, but thanks?? It was just an example. Most of my friends are online, and in fact I do care how my friends are doing because we like each other and support each other. Its not like every conversation is like this, just sometimes it is and I enjoy talking with people so when they message me first, I hope to get some back and forth going of what they've been up to and if they need cheering up or something. No need to get aggressive, its all good bro :angel:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Buzzfeed and adjacent fluff outlets who seem immune to understanding the concept of dropshipping - Romwe and Rosegal are not 'the cheapest stores on the internet', and these aren't even paid advertisement pieces

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

When people say this

I think it's funny that you...
when they actually don't think it's funny at all, they're just pissed and whiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My one acquaintance does this thing where he'll bring something up then know barely anything about it when people join the convo.

Acquaintance: Oh man, have you seen [show]?
Reply: Yes, I love [one of the main characters]
Acquaintance: (looking a bit dazed) Oh yeah... Which one is that again?

Like imagine bringing up Always Sunny in conversation then being confused by the mention of Charlie or Dennis.

Acquaintance: Hey, you should totally listen to [band] it's great
Reply: Oh yeah, [band's famous single] is an amazing song
Acquaintance: idk that one
Reply: It's from [like their best loving album]
Acquaintance: (suddenly disinterested) oh huh

It's becoming weirdly common. Why bring it up at all?