Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do you think backers realize that there are people out in the world that love to watch bad movies, specifically because they are bad, and get much laughter and enjoyment out of it, yeah?

Because that's basically what its like. We're the robots making dumb jokes while being silhouetted on the larger moving picture tableau that is Star Citizen's development (c.2011).

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday, A.D. --

Also, i can’t muster up any hate. I get amused, particularly at the constant ship sales, but it’s not my money. It’s theirs.

Do you think they get that? That them throwing money on a bonfire of vanities is actually funny, and that they throw on more money when they want to own the normies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do you think backers realize that there are people out in the world that love to watch bad movies, specifically because they are bad, and get much laughter and enjoyment out of it, yeah?

Because that's basically what its like. We're the robots making dumb jokes while being silhouetted on the larger moving picture tableau that is Star Citizen's development (c.2011).

Actually I am here because I like a good scam and a good shitshow. I don't really care about SC "the game", it just looks crap, but so do a million other games. Main difference being their budgets.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's almost as if they refuse to believe that people can ask for money and yet fail to do things.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Could someone explain what happened with the Crytek lawsuit to someone who is an idiot and terrible at understanding legal procedure and reading legalese? Crytek has to pay CIG 500k but for what? And what happens from here?

And if this was already explained upthread, could I just get a friendly link? I’m not lazy, just on mobile and on a train so I can’t easily look myself.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I can't deny that at one point space court sounded like it would be provide some funny moments. Maybe it still is going to next year, but for too long it's been a nothingburger after another.

It's actually going to be funnier if Crytek gives up, so that the backers get to celebrate as Crobbear slaps a public beta tag to the steaming pile and dumps it in their lap next year.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

AbstractNapper posted:

I can't deny that at one point space court sounded like it would be provide some funny moments. Maybe it still is going to next year, but for too long it's been a nothingburger after another.

Until there's actually a verdict or settlement it's unlikely to. Instead we'll just see a lot of nerds reading entirely too much into confusing procedural legal stuff. I've just been ignoring it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Crytek has to pay CIG 500k but for what? And what happens from here?
They are not paying CIG. They provide a "bond" to prove that they can cover the court expenses and / or damages in case they lose or something.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

They are not paying CIG. They provide a "bond" to prove that they can cover the court expenses and / or damages in case they lose or something.

that's it?

those shitbags on reddit were acting like this was some kind of slam dunk

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Could someone explain what happened with the Crytek lawsuit to someone who is an idiot and terrible at understanding legal procedure and reading legalese? Crytek has to pay CIG 500k but for what? And what happens from here?

CiG basically suggested in a 'motion to bond' that Crytek was on it's uppers and would be unable to pay costs if the lawsuit failed. Under California law you can request that money be held in escrow if there is a reasonable chance that the plaintiff can simply walk away.

CiG came up with an estimate of $2 million as their estimates of cost.

The court agreed with the overall point, but suggested that if Crytek was suffering financial trouble, then the bond could make the situation worse, and it might remove their access to the court (this was actually the intention). So they reduced the amount to half a million dollars.

From here, there's an assumption that Crytek will post the required bond, and we'll proceed to jury trial; we also had the Settlement conference last week, and both parties declined to settle. I'm expecting complaints about the discovery process at some point. CiG is trying to make the whole thing go away, and it's being quite stubborn so far.

AbstractNapper posted:

Kinda. Ortwin is very, very active in the case, but he's not actually representing. The whole motion to bond has been vaguely hilarious in legal terms. I don't quite know what you're expecting from the court.

Asmodai_00 posted:

They pretty much always do. It was a rebuke by the court.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Asmodai_00 posted:

They think that either Crytek can't afford to pay the bond and will drop the suit, or they have convinced themselves that CIG can't lose and the bond is a taste of what CIG will be awarded.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Asmodai_00 posted:

that's it?

Dude, they've said that EVERY loving TIME.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
At first they said Crytek wouldn't have any good lawyers

They brought in Skadden (and now someone else equally terrifying or whatever)

Then reddit said they wouldn't even make it to court

So Crytek made it to court

Then reddit said that it wouldn't matter because the judge would see right through the bullshit and something something affiliated with space so slam dunk!

The judge ruled there might be a case and both parties should present an argument

Then reddit saw CIG (at the time, now renamed to simply CI) "rebuke" Crytek's claims and the world was saved

But the judge told CIG to cut that poo poo out and they would proceed with the case

Then there were talks about discovery and merits of the argument and again, Reddit was high fiving eachother and promoting it like they'd already won (in a similar way as to whenever CIG releases a new patch, which always loving sucks)

But Crytek is still moving along, posted a bond, and we are that much closer to an actual case and seeing CI crash and burn.

But everything's fine and a slam dunk, this internet lawyer on youtube that hasn't shown me his credentials, and has no prior experience with this sort of major case told me all about how Cloud Imperium was gonna win. Then I gave the youtube man 15 dollars and he said my name on his live stream and told me Chris Roberts was uber handsome !~.~!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Virtual Captain posted:

lol

So not only is 'Server Side Object Container Streaming' still being researched, they have no idea when it will be nearing completion. Well I have a pretty good idea. Right after SQ42's runaway success.

The way i see it is CIG made lots of promises about what they were going to do without knowing how to do it or even if it was possible. They then got lots of funding from people based on those promises who unwavering believe that CIG can deliver.

Sunk Cost Galaxy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spacecourt discourse on reddit is a never ending loop of idiots screaming that crytek is cryrekt at another group of idiots screaming that Chris Roberts is going to rot in gitmo.

It was funny at first and will almost certainly be funny in the end (one way or the other) but right now it sucks poo poo.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

"...so strap-on in and..."

OK, TMI, TMI, I close the vid!

Containers with objects that stream; be careful what you watch.

Virtual Captain posted:

lol

So not only is 'Server Side Object Container Streaming' still being researched, they have no idea when it will be nearing completion. Well I have a pretty good idea. Right after SQ42's runaway success.

'R&D', that's literally 'research and development', you know, the thing that Intel does, or GlaxoSmithKline, or Nestlé.
Hey CIG, it's 'production of a video game', not science and technology.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Spacecourt discourse on reddit is a never ending loop of idiots screaming that crytek is cryrekt at another group of idiots screaming that Chris Roberts is going to rot in gitmo.

It was funny at first and will almost certainly be funny in the end (one way or the other) but right now it sucks poo poo.

Yeah, the refund sub has got way too silly recently. I mean silly not in a good way. It used to be silly in a good way.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Can anyone tell me who the pluckiest commando in the 'verse is? Also what the gently caress that means?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Can anyone tell me who the pluckiest commando in the 'verse is? Also what the gently caress that means?

His name is Buford Barkenberger and he has trichotillomania.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So it's time for a yearly dive into the swamp that is SC. This year I've been lured by the PC Gamer article that said that Star Citizen is no longer a lawless frontier due to a recent update.

But reading the last few pages I can only find information on the lawsuit and I strongly doubt the still paid off PC Gamer would even cover that. Did CIG make some of the fatter whales into space sheriffs? Is Verstice the deputy?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

but right now it sucks poo poo.

It's a bit like the sports team supporters believing that their support has an effect on the abilities of their sports team.

This is actually a jury trial, so it's literally up in the air until twelve ordinary people make a decision as to whether CiG used a game framework in bad faith. I comment how I'm feeling about it, but I make it clear that it's my feels. Likewise, anyone attempting to say that they know how this thing will play out should avail themselves of gentleman's bets.

Money on the wood is good, money out of sight causes fights.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.696437/gov.uscourts.cacd.696437.59.0_1.pdf

Now that the Motion For Bond has been granted, does the above mean that CIG have to supply all requested Discovery items to the Court by August 27th, assuming Crytek pay the $500k within next 30 days?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quavers posted:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.696437/gov.uscourts.cacd.696437.59.0_1.pdf

Now that the Motion For Bond has been granted, does the above mean that CIG have to supply all requested Discovery items to the Court by August 27th, assuming Crytek pay the $500k within next 30 days?

No. There are still two cases:
a) Crytek pays the bond fast (like within three days). Then from that day, CI has 30 days to deliver discovery.
b) Is irrelevant now.
c) Crytek pays the bond past 28th July. Then CI has until 27th August to deliver discovery.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

No. There are still two cases:
a) Crytek pays the bond fast (like within three days). Then from that day, CI has 30 days to deliver discovery.
b) Is irrelevant now.
c) Crytek pays the bond past 28th July. Then CI has until 27th August to deliver discovery.

Cool, so August 27th is the absolute latest. And this Discovery would have to be everything Crytek asked for? Or some of it, along with a filing from CIG saying "we're not submitting XYZ because reasons"? Or just a list of the items CIG are willing to provide?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I don't believe I've commented on spacecourt before, but it always seemed like something of a reach from Crytek.
I think the only thing they've got some potential on is the bit about supplying bugfixes back to Crytek. I don't know anything about how damages would be applied if they won on that but it doesn't sound very lucrative.

This is probably just going to end up being a waste of time and money for both sides.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Kikas posted:

But reading the last few pages I can only find information on the lawsuit and I strongly doubt the still paid off PC Gamer would even cover that. Did CIG make some of the fatter whales into space sheriffs? Is Verstice the deputy?

Mainstream gaming press has been avoiding SC like the plague, giving CR the benefit of doubt and at the same time avoiding kickback from the toxic community.

CI has changed their marketing strategy by breaking up with Turbulent, taking the web site internal and funding totally organic streamer RexZillla through Red Bull partnership.

I doubt any of the :reddit: idiots are paid, directly or indirectly, by the Calder funds.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Fidelitious posted:

This is probably just going to end up being a waste of time and money for both sides.

Or maybe you should listen to Moma and agree space court will result in a 10mil nothingburger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"Stupidly impressive"

Hmmmmmm

*looks in mirror behind him*

"Impressively stupid"

Whaaaa! :aaa: (yes I know that's not how mirrors and letter work)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JugbandDude posted:

by breaking up with Turbulent, taking the web site internal

Huh? When did that happen?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fidelitious posted:

This is probably just going to end up being a waste of time and money

So, nothing new for CIG or backers then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not to mention, like, its soooo crazy for goons to follow this game and make fun of it for years.

But you don't question why its taking so so many years in the first place? You couldn't mock most games this long because they'd already be out.

Also, its somehow not crazy for them to obsess about the game for just as many years?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hav posted:

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday, A.D. --

Also, i can’t muster up any hate. I get amused, particularly at the constant ship sales, but it’s not my money. It’s theirs.

Do you think they get that? That them throwing money on a bonfire of vanities is actually funny, and that they throw on more money when they want to own the normies?

I don't hate, I just feel a mix of pity and sadness that such wrongness exists and also gets so much funding while talented artists get ignored.

Its exactly how I feel about Scientology, except they're less dangerous than scientologists, so even more pity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nice

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention, like, its soooo crazy for goons to follow this game and make fun of it for years.

But you don't question why its taking so so many years in the first place? You couldn't mock most games this long because they'd already be out.

Also, its somehow not crazy for them to obsess about the game for just as many years?

No see undying love and support for a thing is a sign of beauty, love, and respect. I learned this from the MAWHNGHA I read about teenagers in school.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think they question at all. Star Citizen is successful because of people who don't have second thoughts or any kind of distance from the stuff they do. They just do it and never look back, never try to learn from anything they do.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bofast posted:

It will be in the pipeline once they finish building their new horse pipeline. These things take time, you know.

Holy gently caress, I don't even want to think about how much they will charge for horse armour.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWXd1wVijqw

RIP Rutger Hauer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kikas posted:

I don't think they question at all. Star Citizen is successful because of people who don't have second thoughts or any kind of distance from the stuff they do. They just do it and never look back, never try to learn from anything they do.

Yep. Same with cults.

Or at least, by the time they start to have second thoughts, they're far too invested.

I was reading an article recently about how Mormons who go door to door aren't actually intended to get people to convert, its more a way to get the people who do it to identify more with the church. By having non-church people tell you to get lost day after day, you start to think of yourself as separated from the rest of the community and the only other people like you are the other believers, it forces you into an "us vs them" mentality.

I think Star Citizen's got a whoooooole lot of that going on. Its sunk cost fallacy but it goes past that too. Like, once you've given thousands of dollars to Star Citizen, not only are you sunk cost into thinking that throwing more good money after bad is somehow a good idea, but there's some cognitive dissonance where you're not willing to admit you got suckered, so you have to keep believing in the lie and even keep donating if only to maintain the lie to yourself that you weren't wrong. Which then gets displaced as anger towards the non-believers, its their fault I'm looking like a fool, if they'd just stop hating on the project it'd succeed already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I can't quit you, Chris.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 24, 2019