Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can understand them thinking that maybe people won't sit in front of Youtube for two hours at a time for one story, especially since there's no visual aspect to the story.

I can't see the BBC website spending money to commission artwork to play during the stories.

HOWEVER, each of the Doctors have 1 hour stories, so I don't understand why they don't try those instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Big Finish seems like and old-timey company scared of people potentially not buying their stuff if they do let them listen to it for free to me. I doubt it has anything to do with people not having the attention span without images.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
LoT episode 4: OK story, mostly nice just for Peter hanging out with JENNY THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER but not amazing

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Question: has Big Finish ever explained how the Doctor didn't blow up in Timelash?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Episode 5: important to the overarching plot but basically just a sixth doctor and charley story, which is nice because i missed charley
Episode 6: genuinely difficult for me to follow and then half an hour of fanservice happens which makes me feel very nice and also sad because we'll probably never see those people together again
overall I liked the set and it definitely felt very special, except for episode 2 which was bad and episode 4 which just seemed like a random one-off story where peter davison hung out with his daughter for a while, the end

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1151971656945950721?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

corn in the bible posted:

The problem here is that the episode's gimmick (which they explain immediately, it's not a twist or anything) is that stuff is happening in the 60s and 70s at the same time. But the result is that in the 60s they have to ask Ace what is happening, and in the 70s they have to ask the Doctor what is happening, so you get double the exposition with more throughout the episode. Even at the end they have to ask the Doctor to explain the climax--it never stops

I caved and am listening and this episode loving sucks. Awful, awful, awful. It's exactly what you say, and it's not even a cast I could give the slightest poo poo about doing the exposition. The first story held my attention fine, and McGann really gets a chance to show off his acting chops (Oh, Paul McGann :allears:). This one I drift off every thirty seconds because it's so boring.

This whole thing is clearly a bit of a Big Finish love-in before it's a Doctor Who story, and I suppose that's their prerogative, but this episode is self-indulgent as all get out.

No-one cares about Counter-Measures

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The third episode is the best one in the set. 2 is the only one that's actively bad.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
20th Anniversary sale at Big Finish:

£1 Doctor Who - The Sirens of Time
£2 Doctor Who - Jubilee
£3 Dalek Empire Series 1 (75p each)
£4 Doctor Who - The Secret History
£5 Gallifrey: Intervention Earth
£6 Doctor Who - Domain of the Voord
£7 Doctor Who - Love and War
£8 Doctor Who - Short Trips Volumes 1-4 (£2 each)
£9 Jago & Litefoot Series 1
£10 The War Doctor - Only the Monstrous
£11 Doctor Who Companion Chronicles - The Second Doctor Volume 1
£12 Doctor Who - Destiny of the Doctor
£13 Doctor Who - The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume 1
£14 Doctor Who - The Third Doctor Adventures Volume 1
£15 Doctor Who - The First Doctor Adventures Volume 1
£16 Doctor Who - Dark Eyes
£17 UNIT - The New Series - Extinction
£18 Doctor Who - Philip Hinchcliffe Presents Volume 1
£19 Doctor Who - The Sixth Doctor - The Last Adventure
£20 Doctor Who - The Light at the End (Ltd Edition)

Deals expire 11:59 GMT on Monday. For the record, £1 = $1.25 US.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any recommendations from the sale?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mehall posted:

- Jubilee is very good. There are sections that fall a little flat but Colin Baker is great and it is really interesting to see the story that the season 1 Dalek supposedly took some inspiration from.
- The War Doctor: Only the Monstrous was a great start to a series that proceeded to sag in the next couple of volumes before ending on an incredible high in what was unfortunately the last possible following John Hurt's death.
- The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume 1 is great, the chemistry between Tennant and Tate is intact and the stories emulate the RTD era in a wonderful way.
- UNIT: Extinction I enjoyed, but it's not great, mostly just a story that demonstrated promise which has been lived up to in some follow-up volumes and failed to meet in others.
- Dark Eyes I enjoyed, but was slightly letdown by purely because I'd heard people absolutely RAVE about it for years and went in expecting just a little bit more than I got.
- I've heard very good things about Jago & Litefoot Series 1 and Dalek Empire, but haven't listened to either series.

I need to start listening to Big Finish again!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Stream is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLQ_uqnWIs

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mehall posted:

Adding to Jerus' recommends;
The Light at the End - DW big glorious anniversary nonsense - it's been a pretty good starting point for getting people I know into BF as it's got all the (then) classic Doctors show casing them off.
Gallifrey: Intervention Earth - If people having been following the Gallifrey stuff, it's a interesting "What if?" with a fantastic cliff hanger immediately undone by the next boxset.
The Sixth Doctor - The Last Adventure - there's a really bad third episode and the arc doesn't really sustain itself too well, but it's a nice showcase for Colin Baker, and a tad more dignified then just banging his head on the console to turn into Seven. Also Michael Jayston is really good in it.
The First Doctor Adventures - it's very strange to get over the completely different cast, and Bradley is strangley breathless thoughout the whole thing, but it's okay. James Dreyfus makes a pretty good Master...just a shame he's a massive transphobe IRL. It's an okay listen, either way.
Short Trips and Companion Chronicles run the gamut of hidden gem, good, okay, mediocre, and "c'mon get on with it!".

Jerusalem posted:

- Dark Eyes I enjoyed, but was slightly letdown by purely because I'd heard people absolutely RAVE about it for years and went in expecting just a little bit more than I got.

I think it was because it was skirting as close as possible to the New Series, and that just excited people. A new look for McGann, new companions, it felt like, "Ooh! We're heading towards something!" I dunno :lol: And then it got bogged down in arc fatigue like a lot of the Eight boxsets do.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wife - "So to celebrate the anniversary of the moon landing, wanna watch Kill the Moon?"

Me - "...no. No, I really don't."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watch Day of the Moon!

Also vaguely related, the Apollo 11 documentary released this year is absolutely loving incredible and I recommend everybody watch it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Big Finish showed off the new Benny set during the stream btw

More David Warner

E: also an unannounced Tom Baker audio with Margaret from companion piece

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 20, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1152620432157282310

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

thank u big finish for this cool trivia

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Found on the web.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Found on the web.

Your image doesn’t work. Going to assume it was this picture?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Found on the web.

This is freaking adorable :3:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

This is freaking adorable :3:

I love that it's an actual tie, not a clip-on. I can't imagine getting a 3-year-old to sit still long enough to actually do a tie knot on him, even something as simple as a four-in-hand.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

marktheando posted:

Your image doesn’t work. Going to assume it was this picture?

Here's a reupload for you

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Here's a reupload for you

Hah that's a good picture, even though it doesn't include shirtless 70s Colin Baker.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

Six Doctors in a single TARDIS?
What could possibly go wrong

takes backseat driving to the next level

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

takes backseat driving to the next level

Not helped by the fact the console's different for most of them

"Throw the wibbly lever!"
"The what?!"

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Carbon dioxide posted:

Found on the web.

That is amazing. If I was a kid and heard the TARDIS sounds outside my bedroom door, I'd probably freak out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

stratofarius posted:

That is amazing. If I was an adult and heard the TARDIS sounds outside my bedroom door, I'd probably think "Finally!" and run out.

Fixed for me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

"The wibbly lever? THE WIBBLY LEVER?!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

"The what?!"

the fact their tardis layouts are all different is a source of tension in legacy of time!!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

corn in the bible posted:

the fact their tardis layouts are all different is a source of tension in legacy of time!!

Yeah, but they all love the round things.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What are the round things?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

What are the round things?

Conversation pieces

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Conversation pieces

Is "wine cooler" not a thing people are allowed to say on tv nowadays?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1153992640519712769?s=21

Or, perhaps for the Doctor Who fandom, a 66-year-old DJ.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

- Jubilee is very good. There are sections that fall a little flat but Colin Baker is great and it is really interesting to see the story that the season 1 Dalek supposedly took some inspiration from.
- The War Doctor: Only the Monstrous was a great start to a series that proceeded to sag in the next couple of volumes before ending on an incredible high in what was unfortunately the last possible following John Hurt's death.
- The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume 1 is great, the chemistry between Tennant and Tate is intact and the stories emulate the RTD era in a wonderful way.
- UNIT: Extinction I enjoyed, but it's not great, mostly just a story that demonstrated promise which has been lived up to in some follow-up volumes and failed to meet in others.
- I've heard very good things about Jago & Litefoot Series 1 and Dalek Empire, but haven't listened to either series.

I need to start listening to Big Finish again!

Ah yeah, I know this is from a few days ago but a lot of Jago & Litefoot is free on Spotify--I think it's the first five seasons? And J&L is great so people should definitely check it out

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I guess it’s vaguely relevant here. Hulu are doing a new Hitchhikers Guide series.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Big Finish continuing to announce new stories featuring James Dreyfus as the Master without commenting on his continuous, obsessive transphobia. Their website says the story was recorded March of this year, so it's not a case of "well we recorded this ages ago and couldn't just throw the work out" like previous releases but instead them choosing to continue to work with him well after his views were public

Into the bin with the whole company

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Considering Nick Briggs mentioned in October that he hadn't known about Dreyfus's views when he started, I have to assume they have a contract for x amount of appearances with him or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Big Finish released a statement today about "Equality and diversity at Big Finish", which must be in relation to the Dreyfus stuff. But it's worded so generically and vaguely that it doesn't really say anything.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/equality-and-diversity-at-big-finish

EDIT: Reading the replies to their tweet about this, and I'm honestly surprised as to how many lovely Big Finish fans there are.
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1154418212353859584

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 25, 2019