Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hypothetical counterfactual question: during the Battle off Samar, ~200 avengers & wildcats launched with inappropriate weapons for battleship attack, and had to drop antipersonnel bombs, do dry runs, fire handguns, etc.

If one of those planes had instead been hit and accidentally Kamikazi’d a Japanese battleship, would that have actually done significant damage to one? Or were they too armored to hurt without armor piercing shells, torpedoes, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

My opinion is...

I can't stop laughing!

Edit: Seriously, literally "Desert Storm..I mean Crusade!" just they did a visual find-replace to switch out the rifles with bows and an LMG emplacement with some crazy auto-firing crossbow (I know they exist but that dude's gotta be loving Hercules to recock it that fast that many times). Complete with the city looking like it's been shelled with modern artillery and the crossbow bolts knocking chunks out of masonry. Oh and the armor looks like Tactilol webbing! It's so gloriously dumb and I love it!

Later in that scene they send up a flare to call in a trebuchet strike, seriously.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fly Molo posted:

If one of those planes had instead been hit and accidentally Kamikazi’d a Japanese battleship, would that have actually done significant damage to one? Or were they too armored to hurt without armor piercing shells, torpedoes, etc.?

I don't think a kamikaze ever caused critical damage to a battleship. Whereas putting any kind of hole in a carrier's flight deck disrupted its operations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fly Molo posted:

Hypothetical counterfactual question: during the Battle off Samar, ~200 avengers & wildcats launched with inappropriate weapons for battleship attack, and had to drop antipersonnel bombs, do dry runs, fire handguns, etc.

I think the whole point of naval AP rounds is penetrating power, which a wooden or aluminium plane can't possibly have against battleship armor. So probably no more effective than what they did.

E:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 24, 2019

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

I think the whole point of naval AP rounds is penetrating power, which a wooden or aluminium plane can't possibly have against battleship armor. So probably no more effective than what they did.

Yeah, makes sense.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

A kamikaze with an actual bomb and armed to cause as much damage as possible didn't even dent the USS Missouri.

Tangential, but the area on the Missouri that was hit by a kamikaze has been turned into a small memorial that talks about the story of the pilot behind the kamikaze attack. It was something unexpected I came across when I last went on the ship. There's also an exhibit belowdecks with letters sent by kamikazes to their families which no exaggeration almost made me cry in public.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fly Molo posted:

It really depends on where it hits. Hit on the deck, especially coming down at a steep angle, and you might do damage since the decks aren't as well armored against plunging attacks. Also there would be lit avgas everywhere and therefore fires which is never a good thing at any time. Probably not sinking damage but risking actual damage to the ship.

Come in horizontally and it depends on what you hit. Superstructure's armored but not nearly as much as the hull and you could smash the bridge but that's a tricky shot (especially if you're screaming in terror because you just had a wing shot off). Hit the armor belt and...

You might as well be Wile E. Coyote for all the good you'll do.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Tangential, but the area on the Missouri that was hit by a kamikaze has been turned into a small memorial that talks about the story of the pilot behind the kamikaze attack. It was something unexpected I came across when I last went on the ship. There's also an exhibit belowdecks with letters sent by kamikazes to their families which no exaggeration almost made me cry in public.
That's kind of...the way to treat your enemy, I guess. Lord have mercy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Holy poo poo. I've never seen this picture before. That's amazing and haunting simultaneously.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Whereas putting any kind of hole in a carrier's flight deck disrupted its operations.

American carriers, anyway :smuggo:

(though even with an armoured deck, that tends to gently caress the carrier up long term - but that matters a lot less than winning the war)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would like the thread's opinion on this Very Realistic fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRwpDhhHvA

Dying for Richard's crusade profits!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fly Molo posted:

Define significant.

You can kill everyone on the bridge
You can set off torpedoes stored on the decks
You can jam the rudder

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why do all modern Robin Hood movies want to be shot-for-shot rips of World War 2 movies

Like poo poo, just reset Robin Hood in occupied France and have the sheriff of Nottingham be an SS officer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do all modern Robin Hood movies want to be shot-for-shot rips of World War 2 movies

Like poo poo, just reset Robin Hood in occupied France and have the sheriff of Nottingham be an SS officer

*furiously taking down notes for his next fanfic*

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Fangz posted:

Define significant.

You can kill everyone on the bridge
You can set off torpedoes stored on the decks
You can jam the rudder
Further:
You can set fire to the aircraft hangar
You can destroy a fire control position
You can bring down a mast and hinder communications
You can bring down a funnel and reduce the ship's speed
You can unseat a secondary battery turret

But what you will do is plonk harmlessly onto an unimportant area of the ship and deal no worthwhile damage. Maybe torch a 25mm AA position.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's been such a long time since we had a Robin Hood film that was just about a bunch of guys living in a big camp in the woods and getting into scrapes. I want to see a version of Robin Hood where it's just "Robin Hood, Little John, and Will Scarlet go on an adventure to rescue Maid Marian from the Sheriff of Nottingham's dungeon. Meanwhile Friar Tuck tricks the Bishop of Hereford out of a prize cheese, and Alan-a-Dale sings a song about a bee.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FrangibleCover posted:

Further:
You can set fire to the aircraft hangar
You can destroy a fire control position
You can bring down a mast and hinder communications
You can bring down a funnel and reduce the ship's speed
You can unseat a secondary battery turret

But what you will do is plonk harmlessly onto an unimportant area of the ship and deal no worthwhile damage. Maybe torch a 25mm AA position.

I mean, this was the battle where the heavy cruisers Suzuya and Chokai were both destroyed by smaller shells and bombs setting off the Long Lance torpedos they carried.

Mr Enderby posted:

It's been such a long time since we had a Robin Hood film that was just about a bunch of guys living in a big camp in the woods and getting into scrapes. I want to see a version of Robin Hood where it's just "Robin Hood, Little John, and Will Scarlet go on an adventure to rescue Maid Marian from the Sheriff of Nottingham's dungeon. Meanwhile Friar Tuck tricks the Bishop of Hereford out of a prize cheese, and Alan-a-Dale sings a song about a bee.

Maybe this will be the Disney remake...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Don Gato posted:

I remember a documentary talking about kamikaze pilots had an interview with a couple navy veterans who made the point that it was difficult to really get angry at the pilots as they could imagine if the situation was reversed, being asked/forced to do the exact same thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GUNS posted:

That's kind of...the way to treat your enemy, I guess. Lord have mercy.

Yeah I always feel sad for those kids, it is an incredibly lovely fate.

Speaking of unlucky Japanese soldiers, reading about the Burma campaign during the last stages of one of their armies retreat and regrouping phases to cross the Irrawaddy how a Japanese officer and his batman half asleep nearby witnessed wounded dying Japanese soldiers getting their gold teeth rock crushed out their skulls by Burmese seeking a quick buck. They awoke to horribly throaty death rattles.

Also their attempts to cross that river are downright depressing. All the armies in that campaign really had some terrible low points along with the people of the country. And yet it barely gets talked about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SeanBeansShako posted:

a Japanese officer and his batman half asleep nearby witnessed wounded dying Japanese soldiers getting their gold teeth rock crushed out their skulls by Burmese seeking a quick buck. They awoke to horribly throaty death rattles.

Also their attempts to cross that river are downright depressing. All the armies in that campaign really had some terrible low points along with the people of the country. And yet it barely gets talked about.
Probably because of a lack of archival footage to endlessly recycle but I want to hold up for a moment here: A Japanese officer and his what exactly?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

Probably because of a lack of archival footage to endlessly recycle but I want to hold up for a moment here: A Japanese officer and his what exactly?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military)

Think Baldrick or Samwise Gamgee

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Really it should have been Robin and his Batman

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You want really depressing South-East Asia stuff? Read Singapore's Dunkirk: The Aftermath of the Fall by Geoffrey Brooke.

Hard book to get through if you don't like some horrifying stuff happening to civilians and people trying to escape the advance of the Japanese.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The Batman and his batman

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You want really depressing South-East Asia stuff? Read Singapore's Dunkirk: The Aftermath of the Fall by Geoffrey Brooke.

Hard book to get through if you don't like some horrifying stuff happening to civilians and people trying to escape the advance of the Japanese.

I have a few books about the cluster gently caress that was Singapore and Hong Kong falling and goddamn they only allude to the suffering in them.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Nessus posted:

Batman. Until really recently, and even today in some armies, officers would have a batman, an enlisted soldier assigned to them that handled things like their uniform, their meals and day to day chores, reports, and so on. Think of it like a personal servant.

Now, some final letters from Kamikaze pilots to their loved ones

quote:

Recently, in calmer moments, I find my thoughts returning continually to you and our soon-to-be-born child. Please take good care of your health.

When we first arrived at our base in Kyushu, there was a sudden change in plans, and we were all ordered into special attack units. I expected to depart at any moment. Every day, as I waited for my first, and last, attack, I reread the letter you wrote the day you made the jelly and gazed at the photos of you and Sister Etchan.

Surprisingly, my heart was perfectly at peace-as though another me were gazing upon the me that was so calm.

But orders, for better or for worse, changed again, and I was assigned to another squadron and given other duties. We made two sorties to Okinawa; the first was completed without incident, and I returned without doing anything especially heroic.

Mr. Hagiwara, who visited us the other day, asked about you. Try not to be upset, but he was shot down the day after he arrived.

Now, more than ever, the fleetingness of human life astonishes me, but I have become a much stronger person. You too must be strong. Wait for me. I will return without fail. Until you’ve safely given birth to our child, I have no intention of dying easily.

quote:

Dear Mother and Father, Brother and Sister,

End of autumn. The backyard must be filled with the cries of insects, as it is every year around this time. My heart is full to bursting with memories of the many evenings we spent talking together. I suppose you are all somewhat concerned about how I’m doing.

During my visit home in May, Sister said to me, “Ever since you joined up, Mother has been setting meals before your photograph. She’s given up drinking tea, and every evening she visits the shrine to pray for you.” I was so moved that I was unable to thank her. Mother really wore herself out at the farewell party the night before I left to join my unit. She was so busy preparing for my departure that she didn’t sleep at all the night before.

And on my sun flag, she wrote HAPPILY WAITING FOR A RETURNING CHILD. Whenever I can, I gaze at those four noble characters for the nourishment they give my soul. The fighting has become extremely intense, and there is no guarantee of my safe return. The image of all those poor school kids and everyone else singing war songs and waving a sea of flags as they saw us off to the front is burned indelibly into my mind. I firmly believe in the benevolence of the Emperor and of our parents. Mother seems to be growing weaker by the day. Brother and Sister, you will have to give her the love that I cannot.

Please forgive my impiety; I pray for the continued good health of you all. The three photo albums I sent the other day are keepsakes for Brother and Sister. Please don’t worry about me. When you hear of my death, be happy for me, for I will have achieved my ambition.

Goodbye

quote:

Mother,

I truly have caused you only trouble for a long time. In addition to being undutiful to you in various ways, now again I will not even take care of you. Please forgive my prior lack of filial piety.

Last fall you surely were worried when I chose the Navy Air path. Using common sense, there were several other paths with little danger. Regarding the path of service to the country, perhaps those would have been adequate. However, as for this country of Japan, great numbers of us splendidly have obtained shining glory only after we have endured endless sorrows and griefs. Moreover, precisely because of this, hereafter Japan will be a country that flourishes. I have been able to advance and take this honorable path without any regrets precisely because I believed you to be a strong mother who has made this country of Japan prosper splendidly by valiantly enduring these sorrows. Even though I was able to go forward on the path of a warrior who will repay the country in some little way, it is primarily because of you, Mother.

You can say with pride that I went to a glorious death in the honorable Navy Air way and performed some little service.

I will be content with beautiful white clouds in the skies as a grave marker. Now I go to die for the Emperor and for the mountains and rivers of my beloved Japan.

So long.

quote:

Now I depart. I have no regrets. Father, Mother, Older Brother, and Older Sister, I hope for your happiness.

I will go without my military uniform. Since there is a brand-new one in the wicker suitcase, please take that for the family and send the old one to Toshiko's place. I ask that you certainly do this. When you find out about my death in battle, I think that it is fine if you call the family together one time and pass around my last letter and other things. Grandmother, Ryōchi, and Kazuko, everyone please take care. Japan certainly will win. I am glad that I have obtained a place to die for the country's prosperity.

With a refreshed spirit like the sky, a little while remains for me to feel this way. Farewell

And, a Kamikaze's final letter to his four month old son

quote:

Dear Yoshinori,

I am leaving this letter for you, Yoshinori.

In the spring of the fifth year of the Greater East Asia War, I will die as the 23rd Shinbu Squadron Commander of the honorable Special Attack Corps.

Even though it is regrettable that I will not see you grow up since I am going away, I will watch over you as I live for an eternal cause.

Please obey your mother, study hard, and become a good Japanese man as a child of the Emperor.

In the future when you grow up, it is fine to do whatever you desire. Please as my child go forward so to not be dishonorable in any way.

Your mother has shown great concern for you. Not forgetting her compassion, become a fine person and show devotion to her.

You should take care of yourself and be healthy in both spirit and body.

From Father
March 9, 1945

His son died three months later at seven months of malnutrition due to the wartime conditions.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

THUNK

"what the hell was that?"

"I dunno, pass the butter would you"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have a few books about the cluster gently caress that was Singapore and Hong Kong falling and goddamn they only allude to the suffering in them.

The number of times I saw "And they were never seen again" | "They were the only survivor" | "They would eventually be captured by the Japanese after X(XX) days attempting to escape" was depressing as hell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Don’t look up what happened to the commonwealth nurses that didn’t get evacuated.

The poo poo they went through was officially covered up by the Australian (and maybe British?) government so as to not gently caress morale and only admitted to like last loving year or so.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don’t look up what happened to the commonwealth nurses that didn’t get evacuated.

The poo poo they went through was officially covered up by the Australian (and maybe British?) government so as to not gently caress morale and only admitted to like last loving year or so.

Even the ones that did evacuate... well... yeah :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It sucked even being an innocent bystander, especially if you were Japanese and were neutral to the whole thing. Being accused of being a 5th columnist did not end well, especially when the cities were about to fall.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah I always feel sad for those kids, it is an incredibly lovely fate.

Speaking of unlucky Japanese soldiers, reading about the Burma campaign during the last stages of one of their armies retreat and regrouping phases to cross the Irrawaddy how a Japanese officer and his batman half asleep nearby witnessed wounded dying Japanese soldiers getting their gold teeth rock crushed out their skulls by Burmese seeking a quick buck. They awoke to horribly throaty death rattles.

Yeah, entire Chinese divisions starved to death retreating through empty jungle while Americans argued with each other about why China won't fight.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_2014-04-07_090735.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangka_Island_massacre

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/U57200

https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/history/conflicts/thaiburma-railway-and-hellfire-pass/locations/australian-prisoners-asia-pacific-8

Obviously don't read if you don't want like stories about civilians being gunned down and injured men stabbed to death by Japanese soldiers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My theory is that Burma was so absolutely universally depressing and devoid of any sort of glory or purpose such that everyone just wanted to ignore it and move on after the war

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My theory is that Burma was so absolutely universally depressing and devoid of any sort of glory or purpose such that everyone just wanted to ignore it and move on after the war

You're not wrong...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s just yet another in a long line of anachronisms made to resemble what the general populace is familiar with rather that historically accurate portrayals. People have been doing this since at least the middle ages.

It goes a little beyond just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv29WH3f0Uw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lm9_3TiHmM

Straight up stormtroopers with semi-automatic assault crossbows and a riot cop scene. And they dressed the Sheriff of Nottingham like this:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You're not wrong...

Dude is correct. Like from the very goddamn start to the end just endless misery for all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chitoryu12 posted:

Straight up stormtroopers with semi-automatic assault crossbows and a riot cop scene. And they dressed the Sheriff of Nottingham like this:

That outfit is sharp as gently caress, although how he got it dry cleaned in the middle of a siege is the biggest anachronism in the whole movie.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

That outfit is sharp as gently caress, although how he got it dry cleaned in the middle of a siege is the biggest anachronism in the whole movie.

What if he had multiple suits like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alkydere posted:

It really depends on where it hits. Hit on the deck, especially coming down at a steep angle, and you might do damage since the decks aren't as well armored against plunging attacks. Also there would be lit avgas everywhere and therefore fires which is never a good thing at any time. Probably not sinking damage but risking actual damage to the ship.

Come in horizontally and it depends on what you hit. Superstructure's armored but not nearly as much as the hull and you could smash the bridge but that's a tricky shot (especially if you're screaming in terror because you just had a wing shot off). Hit the armor belt and...

You might as well be Wile E. Coyote for all the good you'll do.

Holy poo poo, that armor gives no fucks whatsoever. :magical: