Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I don't appreciate the implication that you could replace Trish with an inanimate object and lose nothing. That's a real poo poo thing to suggest. Do better, Twitter Person. :colbert:

Also, who is Bucciatati? Is that Bruno's cousin, who turns people into potatoes?

...It is a nice picture, and a nice recreation, other that that, though. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My favorite thing about the final battle is that you're undoubtedly thinking that Fugo's gonna show up to save everybody at the last second and stick with the gang.

And then the fight keeps going and you realize that he was serious about not giving a poo poo about Trish.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

My favorite thing about the final battle is that you're undoubtedly thinking that Fugo's gonna show up to save everybody at the last second and stick with the gang.

And then the fight keeps going and you realize that he was serious about not giving a poo poo about Trish.

Well, of course. He didn't even know what kind of music she liked.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fugo's that guy you go on dates with and two dates in he's giving you a loving reading list and mixtape of all the stuff you need to know to "get him" and it's, like, On the Road style hell

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, of course. He didn't even know what kind of music she liked.

Before I do another one of those profiles, this is a good time to say that Fugo doesn't get one. So we never learn what kind of music he likes either. Tragic. :v:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Before I do another one of those profiles, this is a good time to say that Fugo doesn't get one. So we never learn what kind of music he likes either. Tragic. :v:

He likes that song from the torture dance scene, and probably Jimi Hendrix

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ekusukariba posted:

He likes that song from the torture dance scene, and probably Jimi Hendrix

Stand names don't have to line up with favorite music, but I just thought the lack of confirmation was funny.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Mista likes the Carpenters

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mista loves it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Fugo is the guy you play Smash with who hides in a corner of the stage.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fugo seems like a hardcore Frank Zappa kind of guy, like the kind of person who thinks sitting through all of Joe's Garage as something worth doing and has Opinions about time signatures.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
I went back and watched the Joseph Show (not the movie this time), and I really like the way they transitioned into Roundabout at the end of the episodes ...so it is now my favorite JJ song.

...followed by Fighting Gold. Then STARRRR PLATINUUUUMMMM

i still dont see the appeal of the train song

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's a good song. the appeal is that it's good music to hear

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's really something how we have this somber ending theme for most of Egypt, and most of the fights have goofy slapstick (N'doul, D'arby the Gambler, and Pet Shop aside) where no one dies until Vanilla Ice.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
When's the one hour special supposed to air? The 21st or the 28th?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

W.T. Fits posted:

When's the one hour special supposed to air? The 21st or the 28th?

The 28th. We still have some wait, sadly.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sweet boy. :3:

It's very fun to me that Giorno was under the assumption that gangsters are cool and tough badasses, so he should also be a cool and tough badass, and then he meets Mista, who definitely gets really emotional and weepy thinking about Karen's death, and his idea of Peak Clint Eastwood Movie is The Bridges of Madison County and not, like, Unforgiven or another western.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah it is pretty cute that Mista has a more feminine taste in art (liking Madison County, Pretty Woman, his favorite actor is Monica Belluci). classic Sagittarius. you make some wild headcanon that his taste is what made his stand something he has to be a maternal figure too, feeding them, keeping them from fighting

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Should I wait until tomorrow to post this??

No.

(Mista is coming next, I promise)

Abbacchio is really interesting to me, especially thinking about that post here that was talking about all the Christian symbolism in this part. Abbacchio, to me, is Araki's pretty decent (if dramatized) interpretation of a lapsed Catholic. Even if he didn't fully intend or know about some things that can come with that (very gay, VERY goth, etc). Anyway, let's get to something I've been wanting to talk about for awhile.

Let's talk about Sling Blade.

It's Billy Bob Thorton's breakout role (he also wrote and directed the movie!) and if you haven't seen it, it's about a man named Karl with an intellectual disability who was institutionalized since age 12 after murdering his mom and her lover because he thought the guy was raping his mother, kills him, then gets really mad that she was a willing participant, and kills her, both with a kaiser (sling) blade. He's released years later, gets a job at a repair shop in his home town in rural Arkansas, and befriends a woman who has to deal with her dickhead alcoholic boyfriend, along with her son, and a gay man who's a coworker friend of the mom. As he reintegrates into society, he becomes a father figure to the son and they all form a tight-knit group because they're all kind of outcast or abandoned in this town, one way or another. You should really watch it, but towards the end things get worse with the dickhead boyfriend due to the mom's involvement with Karl, to the point where the family is in physical danger, culminating in Karl hiding the mom and son at their gay friend and his partner's house. He then goes to her house, kills the boyfriend, calls the police to confess to the murder, and waits for the police to come, knowing that he'll be put back in a mental hospital again. He's fine with this.

So what we have here is a man, abandoned by society, willing to commit another "sin" and sacrificing his own well-being in order to protect those who accepted him. Karl becomes more confident too, at the end, being willing to set boundaries and take initiative on things. Karl had a Righteous Heart and used it to save that family.

It's one of those movies that you can just tell Araki would like, but it also fits in with Abbacchio's personality too, and the decisions he's made over the course of the story.

And then there's the implied Catholicism. Abbacchio's favorite piece being Vespers of the Blessed Virgin is...not weird, but really specific and telling. It's a long, long, movie-length piece that's supposed to be used for evening prayers (vespers) on feast days, that can be customized to how many people you have to perform.

You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GYjNj75MFI

It has some of the psalms (the ones in the youtube description are how the Vulgate numbers them, move up a number for the actual ones) and excerpts from the Song of Songs, and a few hymns also about the Virgin Mary but I wasn't raised Catholic, so I don't know that much about them. It's major endpiece is the Magnificat, which is like a sixteen minute thing of strung together movements, and this is one of those things you need to listen to with headphones while you're chillin. It's historic because it was very ambitious for the time and included movements and musical motifs that only showed up in secular music, which was probably a very spicy thing to do in the 1600s.

It also slaps, if you're into classical music. There's a lot of complex layers of sound to it, like a lot of jazz albums.

Anyway this is kind of cool because first off, nothing is more goth to me than listening to stuff that has Gregorian chants in it, and second, Abbacchio finding some kind of comfort in this leads back to the idea of him wanting redemption but thinking he doesn't deserve it. His arc is about losing faith (even if it isn't shown literally to be about the church) and then finding it again through Buccellati, who I think we can all agree is probably a saint now. Or he should be.

I'm sad now, so favorite foods.

quote:

Favorite foods: White wine (lol, same), arugula salad, pizza Margherita

Another Pizza Boy. Narancia, Abbacchio, and Mista have this little group-within-a-group thing going on and it's cute how you can tell is that they're all Pizza Boys. Also wine isn't a food, Abbacchio. :v:

quote:

Dislikes: Snotty kids, waiting in line

This is so loving funny, it's like he's destined to hate Giorno no matter what. He's a snotty kid, he's taking up Buccellati's attention, he's idealistic like Abbacchio was before everything went to poo poo (Giorno has the exact same goals for joining the Mafia that Abbacchio did joining the police, if you think about it). The only way it could be worse is if Giorno started explaining to everyone what ACAB means.

quote:

Hero: Ayrton Senna (F1 driver)

Senna was a Brazilian Formula 1 driver who died in a racing accident in the mid-90s, unfortunately.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 17, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BaDandy posted:

Should I wait until tomorrow to post this??

No.

(Mista is coming next, I promise)

Abbacchio is really interesting to me, especially thinking about that post here that was talking about all the Christian symbolism in this part. Abbacchio, to me, is Araki's pretty decent (if dramatized) interpretation of a lapsed Catholic. Even if he didn't fully intend or know about some things that can come with that (very gay, VERY goth, etc). Anyway, let's get to something I've been wanting to talk about for awhile.

Let's talk about Sling Blade.

It's Billy Bob Thorton's breakout role (he also wrote and directed the movie!) and if you haven't seen it, it's about a man named Karl with an intellectual disability who was institutionalized since age 12 after murdering his mom and her lover because he thought the guy was raping his mother, kills him, then gets really mad that she was a willing participant, and kills her, both with a kaiser (sling) blade. He's released years later, gets a job at a repair shop in his home town in rural Arkansas, and befriends a woman who has to deal with her dickhead alcoholic boyfriend, along with her son, and a gay man who's a coworker friend of the mom. As he reintegrates into society, he becomes a father figure to the son and they all form a tight-knit group because they're all kind of outcast or abandoned in this town, one way or another. You should really watch it, but towards the end things get worse with the dickhead boyfriend due to the mom's involvement with Karl, to the point where the family is in physical danger, culminating in Karl hiding the mom and son at their gay friend and his partner's house. He then goes to her house, kills the boyfriend, calls the police to confess to the murder, and waits for the police to come, knowing that he'll be put back in a mental hospital again. He's fine with this.

So what we have here is a man, abandoned by society, willing to commit another "sin" and sacrificing his own well-being in order to protect those who accepted him. Karl becomes more confident too, at the end, being willing to set boundaries and take initiative on things. Karl had a Righteous Heart and used it to save that family.

It's one of those movies that you can just tell Araki would like, but it also fits in with Abbacchio's personality too, and the decisions he's made over the course of the story.

And then there's the implied Catholicism. Abbacchio's favorite piece being Vespers of the Blessed Virgin is...not weird, but really specific and telling. It's a long, long, movie-length piece that's supposed to be used for evening prayers (vespers) on feast days, that can be customized to how many people you have to perform.

You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GYjNj75MFI

It has some of the psalms (the ones in the youtube description are how the Vulgate numbers them, move up a number for the actual ones) and excerpts from the Song of Songs, and a few hymns also about the Virgin Mary but I wasn't raised Catholic, so I don't know that much about them. It's major endpiece is the Magnificat, which is like a sixteen minute thing of strung together movements, and this is one of those things you need to listen to with headphones while you're chillin. It's historic because it was very ambitious for the time and included movements and musical motifs that only showed up in secular music, which was probably a very spicy thing to do in the 1600s.

It also slaps, if you're into classical music. There's a lot of complex layers of sound to it, like a lot of jazz albums.

Anyway this is kind of cool because first off, nothing is more goth to me than listening to stuff that has Gregorian chants in it, and second, Abbacchio finding some kind of comfort in this leads back to the idea of him wanting redemption but thinking he doesn't deserve it. His arc is about losing faith (even if it isn't shown literally to be about the church) and then finding it again through Buccellati, who I think we can all agree is probably a saint now. Or he should be.

I'm sad now, so favorite foods.

Another Pizza Boy. Narancia, Abbacchio, and Mista have this little group-within-a-group thing going on and it's cute how you can tell is that they're all Pizza Boys. Also wine isn't a food, Abbacchio. :v:

This is so loving funny, it's like he's destined to hate Giorno no matter what. He's a snotty kid, he's taking up Buccellati's attention, he's idealistic like Abbacchio was before everything went to poo poo (Giorno has the exact same goals for joining the Mafia that Abbacchio did joining the police, if you think about it). The only way it could be worse is if Giorno started explaining to everyone what ACAB means.

Senna was a Brazilian Formula 1 driver who died in a racing accident in the mid-90s, unfortunately.

Of course he would have a March birthday. Because March "comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb."

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Senna was also a massive poo poo who liked pushing people off the track and loved playing politics when off it. I would've put him down for more of a Prost guy seeing as he had a stint at Ferrari.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh right I forgot about that. If you're an ex-cop you're can never be made in the mafia.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

track day bro! posted:

Senna was also a massive poo poo who liked pushing people off the track and loved playing politics when off it. I would've put him down for more of a Prost guy seeing as he had a stint at Ferrari.

oh lol, that's perfect

Grapplejack posted:

Oh right I forgot about that. If you're an ex-cop you're can never be made in the mafia.

Yeah, I think that's probably why Abbacchio wasn't officially the 2nd in command of Bruno's team but Fugo was.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Re: Abbacchio as a lapsed Catholic, Moody Blues is depicted as if it were wearing a Nun's habit.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
His birthday is also on a Catholic feast day, the Annunciation of the Holy Conception.

:thunk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He also IS actually very gay for Bruno.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4khPlTJ5BjM

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I could go for some beans now that I think about it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I thought we didn't get a Jojo episode this week!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Stick around for that post-credits stinger~~~

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sockser posted:

Stick around for that post-credits stinger~~~

Thank you, I didn't the first time. I didn't expect there to be anything after the credits.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

BaDandy posted:

Throwing it out there, but theres no way that Mista would be a part of this because then there would be 4 members. (Unless another person likes pizza too I guess.)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Everyone likes pizza, but there's only three people where it's their "favorite", and that's those three.

Like there's other stuff to their group-within-a-group thing, like them beating on that one dude at the restaurant, or Mista and Narancia talking about something and Abbacchio kind of indulges them in whatever they're doing, but the pizza thing's cute. The only real reason Abbacchio didn't join in on the torture dance was that he was busy with other stuff.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blaze Dragon posted:

The 28th. We still have some wait, sadly.

:mad:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't believe Diavolo's been getting beaten up by a 15 year old for three weeks straight.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
hes useless, yea

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't believe Diavolo's been getting beaten up by a 15 year old for three weeks straight.

No, it's just his senses going berserk.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mama-mia

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://twitter.com/Ultrashroomz/status/1153048251454623744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU