Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dog Friday posted:

At this point what do the Democrats have to lose by initiating impeachment proceedings? Senate will kill it sure but at least it could act as a rallying call to mobilize Dem voters in 2020... They have zero chance of swinging Trump voters anyway.

According to the Democrats, there are a significant number of voters who will take a failed impeachment as proof of innocence and then not vote D in 2020 when they otherwise would have. According to others, there are few if any such voters. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

If you believe this in your heart, you would be storming the Capitol.

Or just riding it out because nobody expects that they’ll be the hero this moment requires, and the people most positioned to be that person aren’t up to the task

There is no shame in coming to the realization that you have been defeated.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Dog Friday posted:

At this point what do the Democrats have to lose by initiating impeachment proceedings? Senate will kill it sure but at least it could act as a rallying call to mobilize Dem voters in 2020... They have zero chance of swinging Trump voters anyway.

I don't understand the Vichy's mindset, but I think the thing that the dems are afraid of is that a failure of impeachment would not only kill momentum and drive to vote, but also break decorum permanently. I think Pelosi believes that the only thing congress would ever do from then until forever would just be to attempt to impeach whoever the president was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DandyLion posted:

Rule of Law is a myth to begin with.

well yeah it's used to protect the powerful and hurt the weak but even the facade of it is far gone at this point. admin officials are just going "lol" to congressional subpoenas and congress isn't doing anything about it. this is the most nakedly corrupt administration in history and we barely hear a peep from the committees that are supposed to deal with that. the gop tried to steal a house seat and get a do-over instead of it automatically going to the democrat like it should have. kemp straight up stole georgia. a majority of the supreme court will accept obviously bad faith arguments as long as the admin doesn't change those arguments midstream.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

scuz posted:

The republicans all sound like Glenn Beck with their lines of questioning. Just conspiracy theory bullshit. This timeline is so dumb.

That *is* the Republican party now. it's always been an element of it since at least Goldwater but now its become the dominant part. Every single Republican is an insane conspiracy nutjob.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

eke out posted:

the lines of questioning by people like Hakeem Jeffries, who are close allies of Pelosi and have been in the "we must wait to decide on impeachment" camp, have been very interesting.

when someone that's been reluctant uses all their time to establish the elements of obstruction, I take it as paving the way for him to move out of the 'wait' camp and into the 'time for an inquiry' camp

There's a school of thought (mostly from the DeepSlate crowd) that the reason Mueller asked for Justice's letter on his testimony was to shortcircuit the GOP chaff cannon of ~Steele Dossier~ nonsense and that Barr leapt right in because he's Barr and a moron. The secondary value was to focus Dem efforts to what Mueller believed mattered (the report, which this theory holds Mueller designed as a roadmap for Dem investigation and impeachment).

Grain of salt because the lawfare crowd actually believes the "Mueller will fix it all!" nonsense that gets turned into the strawman CB and others have spent the day bandying about, but they're also some of the few who actually understand Justice, house investigations, executive privilege, and how these interplay.

(e: oh hey, this became relevant to the intervening discussion!)
Towards Hakeem/Pelosi/Impeachment, this is where my own bias comes out. I can't help but notice their impeachment comments have been a variation on "we're not there, yet", and that squares with my belief that impeaching Trump today is only slightly less moronic than not doing so at all. So I see today (including/especially Hakeem's questioning) as another step down that road.

Impeachment will reveal more damning info, motivate the base, create a media circus, and put the every Republican on record to cover for his crimes... and have zero chance of actually removing him from office. Given that, there's little reason to do it 15 months before the next opportunity for people to vote. Especially when the newsmedia is splitting its time between covering the Dem contenders and the administration's Crisis of the (infrastructure) Week. I'd love to hear the benefits of today vs March or July '20, but most of what I find are the benefits of now vs "never".

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
"Now that the Republicans have delivered their five minute uninterrupted closing argument, the remaining Democrats will be limiting their time so we can get outta here quickly."

Very cool.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Has anyone made the joke #MuellerHearingAid yet

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ershalim posted:

I don't understand the Vichy's mindset, but I think the thing that the dems are afraid of is that a failure of impeachment would not only kill momentum and drive to vote, but also break decorum permanently. I think Pelosi believes that the only thing congress would ever do from then until forever would just be to attempt to impeach whoever the president was.

Which is so loving stupid because that's exactly what the Republicans did under Obama and Clinton and what they're going to do under every Democratic president until the end of time.

"We can't impeach the guy who committed crimes because then the other team will keep trying to impeach our guys!"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Jesus Christ push back on the Steele Dossier attacks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

selec posted:

Yes actually, there is - depending on what is at stake.

More than 2000 people were saved because people decided not to give up.

So if you aren’t going to join the fight, if you aren’t going to support the fight, then shut up and get out of our way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mueller doesn't know who appointed him. lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

Running low on time, might as well give this guy a handjob.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dog Friday posted:

M4A arguments and other things that are at best indirectly rated to Our Big lovely Racist Clown President are poll-tested as winners. Impeaching the president potentially blows that strategy up.

With Mueller refusing to give any actual recommendation--a serious mistake on his part whatever his intentions, as he resolved nothing and immediately allowed Barr to spin it--the impeachment issue is effectively dead, as he's robbed it of any momentum it had. Now we're in bunker mentality where everyone is just waiting for the Democrats to pick a nominee and get this over with one way or the other.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Remember when Mueller lied to Congress about Iraq having weapons of mass destruction lmao.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tibalt posted:

The fact that we're TVIVing a committee session on Wednesday morning is ignored.

laughs in The Comedian

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

selec posted:

Or just riding it out because nobody expects that they’ll be the hero this moment requires, and the people most positioned to be that person aren’t up to the task

1-800-273-TALK

Not joking, not referring specifically to you but a few of you are really worrying me this morning

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The rule of law will prevail. The rule of law will prevail

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Reflecting on the timidity of the report (despite what it says between the lines) and Mueller today, the overriding problem with Mueller is that he is a Republican.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Democrats keep falling for this trap that republicans listen to reason and logic lmao

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mueller isn't here to force the house to do their job, he's here to pretend everyone is arguing in good faith and that The System™ will save us.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Towards Hakeem/Pelosi/Impeachment, this is where my own bias comes out. I can't help but notice their impeachment comments have been a variation on "we're not there, yet", and that squares with my belief that impeaching Trump today is only slightly less moronic than not doing so at all. So I see today (including/especially Hakeem's questioning) as another step down that road.

Impeachment will reveal more damning info, motivate the base, create a media circus, and put the every Republican on record to cover for his crimes... and have zero chance of actually removing him from office. Given that, there's little reason to do it 15 months before the next opportunity for people to vote. Especially when the newsmedia is splitting its time between covering the Dem contenders and the administration's Crisis of the (infrastructure) Week. I'd love to hear the benefits of today vs March or July '20, but most of what I find are the benefits of now vs "never".

while i broadly agree with you, the reason i said 'inquiry' is because obviously a vote to impeach is completely useless. but there's no shortage of witnesses to call before judiciary, subpoenas to issue, court battles, etc, that can keep an inquiry open for 15 months as far as I'm concerned - and it's far harder to dodge subpoenas when they are explicitly connected to one

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Punk da Bundo posted:

Democrats keep falling for this trap that republicans listen to reason and logic lmao

At least the younger reps realize the Republicans never act in good faith.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

HelloSailorSign posted:

So if you aren’t going to join the fight, if you aren’t going to support the fight, then shut up and get out of our way.

Basically this. As long as we’re breathing, there’s work to be done.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

What fight? What way? Where are you going?

There is a grassroots insurgent left across the nation and the DNC and DCCC are their biggest opponents ably aided by the same media flogging this narrative that The System would be fine if it werent for the perfidious and wily Slav.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 24, 2019

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Ershalim posted:

The painful thing is that the Republicans wouldn't hesitate for a second if they were in a position to impeach a Democrat president

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
lol owned on that point of inquiry

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

The rule of law will prevail. The rule of law will prevail
I think MeToo has made it very clear that the rule of law usually does not prevail.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dog Friday posted:

The painful thing is that the Republicans wouldn't hesitate for a second if they were in a position to impeach a Democrat president

I am still shocked they didn’t seriously try with Obama.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Let's get the discussion back on track with the hearing please, rather than The System in abstract. We hear plenty on that point already and there's actively news going on.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dog Friday posted:

Like the 6 years they controlled the house and Senate under Obama?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Everyone trying to trick Mueller into saying the I-word

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mueller refusing to say the word impeachment like its fuckin Voldemort's name.

"I believe I heard you mention it."

"Impeachment. Is that correct?"

"I'm not gonna comment."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They only controlled the Senate 2 years under Obama

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

bird cooch posted:

They never had anything concrete like the Mueller Report. If it had been word for word about Obama, they'd have broken the land speed record racing back to Capitol Hill to begin proceedings.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Willie Tomg posted:

What fight? What way? Where are you going?

There is a grassroots insurgent left across the nation and the DNC and DCCC are their biggest opponents ably aided by the same media flogging this narrative that The System would be fine if it werent for the perfidious and wily Slav.

“Democrats are such controlled opposition and have such learned helplessness”

*exudes learned helplessness whenever asked to put good into the world*

You were just loving told that 2,000 families were targeted by ICE raids, and activism is universally credited for keeping the numbers down to 35 individuals. That fight, that way, and we’re going forward. Get into your community and do something you’ll be proud you were part of.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

You were just loving told that 2,000 families were targeted by ICE raids, and activism is universally credited for keeping the numbers down to 35 individuals. That fight, that way, and we’re going forward. Get into your community and do something you’ll be proud you were part of.

I do, specifically with families in Texas, and the Democrats have fuckall to do with it. The federal Dems abet the raids. Neighborhoods resist. Take your own goddamned advice.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

bird cooch posted:

"Conservatives didn't do bad thing X years ago therefore they won't do it" is exactly, and I mean exactly, the mentality that has crippled the progressive movement in the US for the last 70+ years. They openly stole a Supreme Court seat! They are operating concentration camps on US soil!

There is nothing they won't do. The only thing constraining them now is tactics.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

bird cooch posted:

They didn't have Obama stone cold on obstruction though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Useful hearing. They’re laying the case down. It’s not happening at the speed we want, but it’s happening. They’re gonna drum impeachment proceedings through the House for a year, and vote to conclude in late October, and I’m going to laugh, and laugh, and laugh.