Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

What the hell was Marc Mero thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was wondering, yeah. I guess it was meant as a preview package?

It was replaced by the black and white one i posted a few pages back.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Suncream sounds like something the California Raisins would ejaculate.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

coconono posted:

What the hell was Marc Mero thinking

ill have you know that johnny b badd was one of the hotter acts in wcw at the time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not like he came up with the gimmick himself, and it catapulted him from jobbing to a huge push where he won by knocking guys the gently caress out.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mero was a decent to good-ish guy until he blew out his knee.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vader looks like they caught him about to give someone the Shockmaster.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Vader looks like they caught him about to give someone the Shockmaster.

Vader owned so hard back in the day

I should start playing TEW again just so I can book peak Vader vs. peak Brock for Starcade

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not like he came up with the gimmick himself, and it catapulted him from jobbing to a huge push where he won by knocking guys the gently caress out.

I wonder how many good ol boys saw Marc mero on the road and thought “hey, I can kick this queer wrestlers rear end”
At some bar or highway diner.

And then get knocked out in one punch by a gold glove.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just noticed that buff bagwell has competed in a g1 climax but benoit and eddy never did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

just noticed that buff bagwell has competed in a g1 climax but benoit and eddy never did.

Less weird when you remind yourself that NJPW is pretty firm about separating Jrs from the rest of the card and that's how Guerrero and Benoit were used. And Buff could have been a political thing given their relationship with WCW (although I think he'd gotten pretty decent in the ring before the injury).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Less weird when you remind yourself that NJPW is pretty firm about separating Jrs from the rest of the card and that's how Guerrero and Benoit were used. And Buff could have been a political thing given their relationship with WCW (although I think he'd gotten pretty decent in the ring before the injury).

Yeah, Buff was perfectly fine in the ring 'fore his neck injury. Not great, but he was fine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And the year Buff was in was a single elimination tournament where he lost in the first round

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Mero was a decent to good-ish guy until he blew out his knee.

He and Brian Pillman had a pretty good match at Fall Brawl 1995.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mero lookin like someone’s barfly aunt. The molly-go-round was cool tho.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He and Brian Pillman had a pretty good match at Fall Brawl 1995.

Is this the one that went like half an hour, allegedly because the bookers and old guys backstage were trying to sabotage and expose them (only to look like idiots when the match turned out to be not that bad)? If there's any truth to that, it has to be one of the most WCW of stories.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The new network update breaks down each show by segment. Like a 30 second taped promo is its own segment in the line up for each episode.

Lee Marshall’s 1800 collect road reports finally get the respect they deserve.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

Mero lookin like someone’s barfly aunt. The molly-go-round was cool tho.

Haha holy poo poo he does. I can imagine him in a Poison cut off t-shirt and fringe acid washed jeans getting the cheapest beer in plastic cups

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can imagine most wrestlers from the 80s doing that, though.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
Marty Jannetty is doing it AS WE SPEAK!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Marty is living his best life

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Tato posted:

:(

That just makes me sad.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Tato posted:

I hope this like when he got hacked last year or whatever cuz this is capital D Depressing

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

dude has a lost-and-found roomful of bags under his eyes :stare:

lookin like an unemployed hobbit who annoys everyone else at the bar with his sob story about how his wife left him to go live in a commune with the Bombadils

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Wow. His Facebook is really bad. I can’t tell if it’s drugs, booze, head trauma or all of the above.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

WatermelonGun posted:

I hope this like when he got hacked last year or whatever cuz this is capital D Depressing

He posts stuff like this multiple times per day. If you believe Marty's twitter he's got a million girlfriends (wifeys) in the neighborhood he has sex with and has been partying non stop since Wrestlemania in April.

My only WCW memory of Marty Jannetty is Chris Jericho making fun of him in the Superbrawl battle royal

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel bad for Rock Rock Till You Drop Rock Rock Never Stop Marty Jannetty

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The American Dream posted:

Wow. His Facebook is really bad. I can’t tell if it’s drugs, booze, head trauma or all of the above.

It’s all of the above. And if the airplane GHB story is real, he’s a real shitbag too.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I remember him having a couple really good matches on tv. Like throwaway matches on nitro or thunder that made me really happy because I loved the rockers as a kid. Then he just disappeared, I assume for being Marty Jannetty.

Like if he could have stayed clean he probably would have been wrestling through the mid 2000s. Even if it was just tna.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The American Dream posted:

I remember him having a couple really good matches on tv. Like throwaway matches on nitro or thunder that made me really happy because I loved the rockers as a kid. Then he just disappeared, I assume for being Marty Jannetty.

Like if he could have stayed clean he probably would have been wrestling through the mid 2000s. Even if it was just tna.

It's sad, he was still pretty drat good when he was in WCW.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marty Jannetty would have been an actual major star in the business if it weren't for being Marty.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Randaconda posted:

It's sad, he was still pretty drat good when he was in WCW.

Just watched him in singles action vs somone unnamed on nitro and malenko on thunder in January 1998 and he lost both matches but he looked good in both of them. Which isn’t hard with those two. But it’s clear he’s not a squash match jobber.

Just good light heavyweight style matches. Wikipedia says he was losing to midcarders but beating jobbers and got let go after he injured his shoulder vs konnan in the summer. Which was a match I remember being really good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't know how much of this is true, and also how much is Vince and his idiot ideas. But apparently back in the day Marty was seen as the member of The Rockers that was going to be the breakout star.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Is this the one that went like half an hour, allegedly because the bookers and old guys backstage were trying to sabotage and expose them (only to look like idiots when the match turned out to be not that bad)? If there's any truth to that, it has to be one of the most WCW of stories.

It went nearly 30 minutes, but I don't know of any story beyond that. Kevin Sullivan was head booker at that time.

On the same card, the Renegade experiment finally ended with Diamond Dallas Page beating him for the TV title.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Who would the five most noteworthy managers who worked exclusively under WCW be?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Darthemed posted:

Who would the five most noteworthy managers who worked exclusively under WCW be?

I don't think there are any. The noteworthy people all worked elsewhere. The most famous would be Sonny Ono who was horrible and I guess Ralphus?

Oh and the Jericho-holic Ninja.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Judy Bagwell?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does Ralphus count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Colonel Parker was pretty funny at times and never got a chance to do much at all as Tennessee Lee in WWE