Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Blut posted:

Its really such a shame Alabama didn't get the Western half of Florida's panhandle. Both from a logic/pretty maps point of view, and because without those votes Florida would probably be a bit more reasonable. And they wouldn't make much difference in Alabama.

If the Florida panhandle were a part of Alabama, and the Upper Peninsula were a part of Wisconsin, Hillary Clinton would be president right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GyroNinja posted:

If the Florida panhandle were a part of Alabama, and the Upper Peninsula were a part of Wisconsin, Hillary Clinton would be president right now.

if a frog had wings...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

GyroNinja posted:

For which we can thank Ohio.

When the southern half of the Northwest Territory was admitted as Ohio, the northern border was intended to be a line drawn east from the southern tip of Lake Michigan. Two problems emerged with this: One, no one knew exactly where Lake Michigan was, so they didn't know just how far south it went. (knowledge of the geography of the region in 1803 was still imperfect) Two, the Ohio Constitution stated the northern border was a line drawn from the southern tip of Lake Michigan to the most northerly cape of Maumee Bay, essentially the western tip of Lake Erie. Maybe it was thought that this would match the federal line, but it didn't.

As anyone who has ever lived in Michigan, Ohio, or has paid attention to Big 10 Football, there's a tremendous rivalry between the two states over the most unlikely city: Toledo. Toledo, which lay north of the federal line but south of the Ohio line. And Ohio wasn't about to give it up.

When Michigan was becoming a state 34 years later, the feds proposed a compromise: Give up Toledo, and we'll give you the upper peninsula. Michigan said screw off. But a few months later they gave in, nearly bankrupt and wanting money that the feds were about to distribute to states... but not territories.

So, that's why Michigan got the UP. Toledo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Peanut President posted:

if a frog had wings...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_frog

And yet, the world will never be fair.

For some thread content, how about a map that I'm a massive dork for remembering.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Matora, Malatora...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah yes, typical Belgian summer. Love 2 immediately die when I step outside

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Get used to it, it'll only get worse from year to year.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Ah yes, typical Belgian summer. Love 2 immediately die when I step outside
This is me burning alive, between Paris and Brussels.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
This is me longing for the mild temperatures of Rabat or Algiers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lycus posted:

Get used to it, it'll only get worse from year to year.

If this becomes commonplace then Is Europe going to have to start putting AC in a lot more homes?

I lived in Toulouse without AC and summer mostly in the high 20s was fine but sweaty to my AC-adjusted American sensibilities but baking in a 38 degree house has got to be a health hazard.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Drink water.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If this becomes commonplace then Is Europe going to have to start putting AC in a lot more homes?

I lived in Toulouse without AC and summer mostly in the high 20s was fine but sweaty to my AC-adjusted American sensibilities but baking in a 38 degree house has got to be a health hazard.

AC is already a lot more common in most of Northern/Western Europe than it was 10-15 years ago. I'm noticing big AC units a lot more these days in small businesses (local shops, vets offices etc) that wouldn't previously have had it. I'd imagine with these heat waves becoming longer, stronger, and more frequent it'll start to become more common in houses over the next ten years too.

Hopefully places like Poland and Germany are burning less coal by then to power the spike in electricity use cleanly at least...but they probably won't be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've effectively committed to burning more because of how scared they are of nuclear.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

We've been building ourselves into a similar trap as the US; building standard architecture with brute force AC, instead of vernacular architecture that is designed to deal with the conditions in different regions.

So we have glass palace greenhouses that cannot possible regulate themselves and require AC.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's so great to be walking in a street in suffocating heat and suddenly you arrive downwind of an AC and you get even hotter air blasted in your face. So great.

Passive cooling, brise-soleil, mashrabiya, etc. are things people should look at before getting an AC, IMO.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 25, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

We've been building ourselves into a similar trap as the US; building standard architecture with brute force AC, instead of vernacular architecture that is designed to deal with the conditions in different regions.

So we have glass palace greenhouses that cannot possible regulate themselves and require AC.
To be fair, vernacular architecture might not be appropriate anymore, given changing conditions, even if you import a vernacular from warmer climate. Like, the further north you go in Europe the more sun you're gonna get from the north during summer, while the sun is generally just at lower angles. That might very well mean that solutions appropriate for lower latitudes are counter-productive or just ineffective further north, even if the outdoor temperatures alone match the climate those design come from just fine.

Not that this is an argument for just building everything the same, no matter the location.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One big advantage of mechanical AC is that most of the new ones can be run in reverse as heat pumps during the winter, which is important if we're going to get away from burning fossil fuels for heating.

That's not an argument against passive cooling/good architecture, but one reason why Europe might start justifying getting them.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
If you're the goony type that can't live unless the temperature is between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius odds are that you never leave the house anyway so complaining about good weather is pointless.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like, the further north you go in Europe the more sun you're gonna get from the north

*south.

Anyway, as an illustration: my house is an old thing half-buried in a hill, the walls are over one-meter-thick. Temperature outside right now: 36°C. Temperature inside, as told by a thermometer stuck to a north-side window: 24°C. No AC. Just opening all the windows during the night so the cool air can flow in the house, then at dawn closing them all as well as the shutters on the east, south, and west so sun rays will not directly hit the windows. The rest of the work is done by the extra-thicc stones of the walls.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends how far north in Europe you go. :v:

Svalbard at midnight is going to be getting sun from the north.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I meant what I wrote. :colbert: Go far enough north and you get as many hours of sun from the north as from the south, just at a different angle that can be a bitch to deal with for poo poo like a brise-soleil.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's 37 Celsius at Heathrow Airport right now, but the humidity makes it feel like it's 42.

That's about as hot as Phoenix is going to get this afternoon.

And we don't have AC. :smithicide:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

If you're the goony type that can't live unless the temperature is between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius odds are that you never leave the house anyway so complaining about good weather is pointless.

I have to say I was not expecting this particular 'hot' take

Hot, get it :D :D :D

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kassad posted:

This is me longing for the mild temperatures of Rabat or Algiers.

FWIW Rabat has a famously mild climate. Average July highs are like 27C, cooler than basically anywhere in Italy and cooler than much of France. Essaouira has a cooler summertime than Amsterdam. Atlantic Morocco is a very mild climate, just like coastal Southern California. Of course if you go inland 30 miles from Essoauira it’s a furnace.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh right, I always forget that room temperature is like 10 degrees colder in Europe for some reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thank God my train has air conditioning, there are still a few old ones around that don't have it. Can't even imagine what that must be like.

The Belgian railways are of course thrown into complete disarray by the weather, to absolutely no one's surprise

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Thank God my train has air conditioning, there are still a few old ones around that don't have it. Can't even imagine what that must be like.

The Belgian railways are of course thrown into complete disarray by the weather, to absolutely no one's surprise

Swiss railways also had problems last year cause the rails were getting less hard/ started to melt in the long high heat. They’re now running some tests if painting them white can help.

I live in a building with minergy standard. The idea being that it’s better isolated, less air inputs/outputs, etc, so you need less energy to heat it in winter. Yeah, this is obviously an idea that got started before we had these long high heat summers. It’s practically impossible to get the heat out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A couple of months ago we needed to buy a new shower curtain, so my husband went to Walmart, and found one that was a giant map of the world. "Hm, a $12 map of the world shower curtain? This should be inaccurate enough to annoy my wife and provide counteless hours of entertainment," he thought, so he obviously bought it, and it is the world's greatest thing.

I've been meaning to share pictures ever since but only got around to it yesterday.

Tag urself I'm Greater Jordan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mano posted:

Swiss railways also had problems last year cause the rails were getting less hard/ started to melt in the long high heat. They’re now running some tests if painting them white can help.
Climate change melting steel beams is the conspiracy mashup I never expected.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Phlegmish posted:

Beijing subway is always fun in September/March because the heating is based on the calendar instead of actual outside temperature, so for considerable periods of time you have outside temperatures of around 30 degrees C and also the heating on full blast.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Looks like Germany got East Prussia back again...also Denmark.

Anybody been keeping an eye on them lately?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

What's going on with Tasmania?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kennel posted:

What's going on with Tasmania?

Independence at last

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HookShot posted:

I'll be the nation of San Jose

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kurtofan posted:

Independence at last

And additionally the text indicates that it's like 1000 km south-east from the actual location

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Honestly it's way better than I was expecting for a shower curtain map.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Barcelona, capital of the Iberian Union

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

HookShot posted:

Well it's a good thing you're not New Jersey, because um…

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Family Values posted:

Well it's a good thing you're not New Jersey, because um…

I wonder if this map was created by scanning the mind of a dying man from NYC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

HookShot posted:

hit me with the kashmir