Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

yeah I eat rear end posted:

"What a Girl Wants" where there are multiple scenes of her encouraging stuffed up brits to "dance" to her shoehorned in love interest's "hip" american music.

this entire movie is an iimm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

this entire movie is an iimm

I think it's pretty rational to be irritated by it tbh. The only good thing I can say about it is it isn't the worst thing amanda bynes has been in, but it's close. That honor I think goes to Sydney White. It irritated me from the grave of my memory because the person who wrote the plot summary I read on wiki to refresh my memory to make sure I was thinking of the right movie is extremely verbose.

This paragraph:

makes my blood start to boil just like it did suffering through this garbage movie.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Sam Neill is an insurance investigator in In the Mouth of Madness, isn't he? That movie owns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Sam Neill is an insurance investigator in In the Mouth of Madness, isn't he? That movie owns.

Yes, he's hired because there was going to be a payout on a book not coming out.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, he's hired because there was going to be a payout on a book not coming out.

In the remake he's just a guy with a yelp account who has a complaint about a hotel.

fe: a goodreads account

fe2: DMV trying to get proper bike lanes instituted in rural NE

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I get irritated when I'm watching an animated film and recognize a voice but can't place it. Drives me to distraction and if I can't figure out who it is I have to stop the movie and look it up. Otherwise i find it impossible to concentrate.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That french-canadian stuntman from Toy Story 4 kept bugging me with how familiar he sounded and yet...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BiggerBoat posted:

I get irritated when I'm watching an animated film and recognize a voice but can't place it. Drives me to distraction and if I can't figure out who it is I have to stop the movie and look it up. Otherwise i find it impossible to concentrate.

It’s Frank Welker

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I am enraged by guns in movies that sound like a drawer full of scrap metal every time someone moves them, as if the director/sound engineer has subconsciously associated the sound of a pump action with any outside force acting on the weapon.

Dude raises his rifle to take aim: TCHK CLICK CHK SHACLICK TICK

Dude pulls a single-action revolver from its soft leather holster: TICKTICK CLICK CHICKADICK

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

High Lord Elbow posted:

I am enraged by guns in movies that sound like a drawer full of scrap metal every time someone moves them, as if the director/sound engineer has subconsciously associated the sound of a pump action with any outside force acting on the weapon.

Dude pulls a single-action revolver from its soft leather holster: TICKTICK CLICK CHICKADICK

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iOL5UF5WSX4

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So good, I love that they had the round clear the chamber

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I used to own ferrets and it always bugged me how, if they show up in a movie, they give them weird cooing and clucking and squeaking noises. Ferrets hardly make any noise at all and if they do it's a subtle back of the throat happy sound. They don't make any sound at all when they're just walking around.

https://youtu.be/ddGwvveSXxM

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I never noticed this until it was pointed out online: Desmond Llewelyn was very obviously reading from cue cards during his scenes in Goldeneye. I can't really blame him, though, since he was getting up there and had been in most (if not all) of the Bond movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of James Bond, and I may have brought this up before, but what the gently caress is up with the sound design up through Goldeneye? Certain sound effects, especially explosions, are the same ones they'd been using since Dr. No and it's really obvious. Go to the climax of Goldeneye where everything is blowing up and you'll hear what I mean. It's really jarring for a 1995 big budget action franchise film.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I mean, I know it’s the IIMM thread, but the reason those sounds exist is because if they weren’t there the audience would be unnerved by the lack of sound and get pulled out of the movie. Ferrets and guns both get weird sounds because even though everyone knows better, without audio cues the audience will miss things.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

areyoucontagious posted:

I mean, I know it’s the IIMM thread, but the reason those sounds exist is because if they weren’t there the audience would be unnerved by the lack of sound and get pulled out of the movie. Ferrets and guns both get weird sounds because even though everyone knows better, without audio cues the audience will miss things.

I get that, it's us that are the idiots not the sound designers. But would it hurt to just use a generic click when someone aims a break-barrel shotgun as opposed to the standard " CHK CHK" noise?

I'm far from a gun person but drat.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I clicked the link with hope in my heart and was not disappointed

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bugs squeak a lot in films for the same reasons.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Roblo posted:

I get that, it's us that are the idiots not the sound designers. But would it hurt to just use a generic click when someone aims a break-barrel shotgun as opposed to the standard " CHK CHK" noise?

I'm far from a gun person but drat.

See: Gun owner's response to any and all silencers and suppressors used in movies since their invention.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bugs squeak a lot in films for the same reasons.

Spiders chittering and screeching. Thanks, Hollywood.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

mng posted:

Spiders chittering and screeching. Thanks, Hollywood.

And often making rattlesnake noises

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jobbo_Fett posted:

See: Gun owner's response to any and all silencers and suppressors used in movies since their invention.

Or video games that still use the "music"/sound effects from Atari's Pac-Man.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Clips vs magazines

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Related to the sound effects, I've also noticed there's visual shorthand for audiences as well. For instance, if a character is smoking marijuana, they will only be using a joint or an obvious plastic bong. You will rarely see someone using a bowl because those usually made of glass and your average viewer thinks crack before weed.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
not necessarily a movie irritating moment but on coronation street (uk drama) everyone has the same lovely ringtones from the year 2000 and the "kids playing in the front room" scenes always has bleeps and bloops from 1985

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
As a gun having person, I was also in Foley classes and did a few side projects in it. Guns sounding realistic sounds awful because it's practically nothing. Cloth movement is more loud than a moving gun of almost any type.

In cinema you don't get all senses, you only really get sight and sound. In my studies, I tended to "make up" for the lack of certain senses, so it's easy to understand how the entire industry would trend that way, to the point of unintentional comedy.

I wish they could convey the concussiveness of gunshots with more bass punch. I feel like it would drive home to more people how powerful and dangerous they can be.

Another iimm is satellites. I'm a satellite transmission tech and most satellites don't work the way they do in almost ANY movie. You can't move a satellite most of the time, although I'm not educated in how spy satellites are controlled, my elementary understanding of orbital mechanics gives me reasonable assurance it's not like it is in 80% of movies either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Davros1 posted:

Or video games that still use the "music"/sound effects from Atari's Pac-Man.

Something related, in the Netflix show 'Dark', people are shown playing the game 'The Surge', which is neat because, hey, relatively modern game. What they're showing, however, is a split-screen coop mode in a game that, to my knowledge, completely lacked one, which made me excited since I'd love to play that game with a friend. I immediately looked online to find out more, only to discover that this was something put together explicitly for the show, and not a mode that exists. Bummed me out. But, you know, props to the show creators to actually getting a real game on the screen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Related to the sound effects, I've also noticed there's visual shorthand for audiences as well. For instance, if a character is smoking marijuana, they will only be using a joint or an obvious plastic bong. You will rarely see someone using a bowl because those usually made of glass and your average viewer thinks crack before weed.

I always thought that the sound effects bugs make in movies where the protagonist is shrunken down to their size was just for artistic license, like a Ladybird making helicopter sounds, until I heard a loud "BRRRRRRR" in my ear, like a helicopter or lawnmower. Turned out a ladybird had got caught in my hair and the sound of it's wings that close up really does sound like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Something related, in the Netflix show 'Dark', people are shown playing the game 'The Surge', which is neat because, hey, relatively modern game. What they're showing, however, is a split-screen coop mode in a game that, to my knowledge, completely lacked one, which made me excited since I'd love to play that game with a friend. I immediately looked online to find out more, only to discover that this was something put together explicitly for the show, and not a mode that exists. Bummed me out. But, you know, props to the show creators to actually getting a real game on the screen.

Funny thing is you can tell in the scene with the split screen that they're faking it because their PS4 controllers aren't lit up. Then later when a character is playing the game solo the controller light is on.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Wasabi the J posted:

I wish they could convey the concussiveness of gunshots with more bass punch. I feel like it would drive home to more people how powerful and dangerous they can be.

Maybe it was just me, but John Wick 3 really did this a lot better than any other shootymans movie I've seen recently. When I saw it in the theater, every gunshot felt like a cannon going off next to my head. All the foley work felt really viscerally percussive (i could feel the concussion from that library fight that opens the movie), but the gun sfx stood out the most.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Another iimm is satellites. I'm a satellite transmission tech and most satellites don't work the way they do in almost ANY movie. You can't move a satellite most of the time, although I'm not educated in how spy satellites are controlled, my elementary understanding of orbital mechanics gives me reasonable assurance it's not like it is in 80% of movies either.

Something I liked about Patriot Games, when they're doing the satellite flyover they have to wait until it's over the area and then it's only over it's target for a limited time.

That said the quality of the images were probably way overstated. I kind of doubt you can do thermal imaging like that from space.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Reminds me of 6 Feet Under where Dwight from The Office plays a peculiar guy (go figure) and hes playing The Sims. Only the game keeps playing itself when he turns around from the computer and lets go of the mouse and keyboard.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
John wick 3's audio kicks rear end. When the shotguns come out, you could feel every shot. Was one of the best sound experiences I've ever had in a theater.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

John wick 3's audio kicks rear end. When the shotguns come out, you could feel every shot. Was one of the best sound experiences I've ever had in a theater.

Chapter 2 was just as good in the theater, specifically the catacombs scene with the booming shotgun and the assault rifle. The John Wick series is my go-to answer when people say that there's no reason to see movies in the theater anymore. You'd have to have a real top level audio setup at home to even come close to replicating that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bobkatt013 posted:

It’s Frank Welker

I just learned who this was from the We Hate Movies Podcast. Usually, for me, it's someone famous and i KNOW the voice but it drives me nuts when I can't place it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I saw John Wick 3 in one of those Dolby Cinema Certified theaters and let me tell you it was probably the greatest moment of my life. Sorry to my wife and kids but you can't hold up.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Sound effects are a funny area. You can tell certain sound effects come from a CD catalog. And these sound houses that are hired to do the sound effects for TV/Movies still have these 25 year old catalogs at their disposal. God willing, they have new stuff or actually maybe record their own sounds.

Then you get a guy like Ben Burtt who really loves his job and goes out of his way to record new effects for everything. Foley is great, but it seems like not every show has the budget or time for it. And really it's for the stuff that just wasn't audible or needs to be sweetened (like footsteps).

But yes, every gate sounds like dungeon cell door thanks to cheap sound houses that still feel their 20-disc CD catalog with maybe one to three versions of a sound effect shouldn't be tossed out because they're recouping the costs all these years later and that no one will notice.

Or even worse, the producer says add a little more umph to that gate shutting, the sound guy pulls up the only sound he has on his hard drive, and that medieval iron clunk is "perfect!"

I remember another scenario one time, this was on the sound editor. Our producer noticed that they added crickets to the establishing shot of this house in the evening, when adding the final audio to the film master. It was middle of winter, snow visible on the ground in the shot. Some of these editors are just on auto-pilot and drop in the standards, and don't second guess it. Luckily the audio operator had access to the editor's tracks and just hit delete.

Kramdar has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Jul 24, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Push El Burrito posted:

I saw John Wick 3 in one of those Dolby Cinema Certified theaters and let me tell you it was probably the greatest moment of my life. Sorry to my wife and kids but you can't hold up.

Every part of the John Wick movies seems like they actually care to get it right, if that makes any sense. I don't know if that's Keanu's or Chad's influence but it seems kind of rare.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

High Lord Elbow posted:

This & also for me, the tire screeching sound effects for cars. I've seen plenty of new & old movies where they do the sound effect of tires screeching on pavement, but they're driving on dirt in a desert or some poo poo. It's the stupidest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

“child giggling/laughing” has been the stock sound effect that has been the bane of my existence since the nineties. I still hear it in ads to this day.

Edit: I hate this poo poo.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Jul 24, 2019