Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just for fun, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook: Which iconic 80s movie features this house as the backdrop of its opening scene?

Poltergeist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Opening scene of that movie is indoors. Also the Poltergeist house looks very different: https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/p/Poltergeist.php

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm going to say ET, though I thought the stairs were more winding.

Edit: wow, nevermind. I just looked up the ET house. Much like Lloyd and Samsonite, I was way off.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pretty sure the opening scene of ET takes place in a forest anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Pretty sure the opening scene of ET takes place in a forest anyway.

Right, yes, that whole thing.

Is it something totally unexpected, like Jaws?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
uhhhhh Aliens?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I was so sure it was the house Alyssa Milano is kidnapped from in Commando but apparently my memory of that film is waay off.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Terminator

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For the record, I don't know the answer. But I just YouTubed the opening scene of Terminator and it's nowhere near a house.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If was obscured by the skulls, tanks etc

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare:

I have to wonder... Is this a common horror movie thing? For whatever reason, that disturbs me WAY more than someone getting flat-out killed.

It's not common in horror movies, but it comes up frequently with this one in particular because a big-name bad movie podcast made waves with jokes about this scene. One of the podcasters, Stuart Wellington, swears it's in there, and the film's director, Stuart Gordon, has said in an interview that that was *not* the action he was trying to portray in that scene. They've decided to teach the controversy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

It's not common in horror movies, but it comes up frequently with this one in particular because a big-name bad movie podcast made waves with jokes about this scene. One of the podcasters, Stuart Wellington, swears it's in there, and the film's director, Stuart Gordon, has said in an interview that that was *not* the action he was trying to portray in that scene. They've decided to teach the controversy.

What movie are you referring to, Castlefreak?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
what movie am i thinking of where someones genitals get ripped off and its more of like a "OH gently caress YEAH" kind of moment? its not when the big demon dick gets dismembered in This is The End.

fake edit because i remembered the movie: sin city

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What movie are you referring to, Castlefreak?

Yes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parachute posted:

what movie am i thinking of where someones genitals get ripped off and its more of like a "OH gently caress YEAH" kind of moment? its not when the big demon dick gets dismembered in This is The End.

fake edit because i remembered the movie: sin city

Haha, gently caress, I actually knew this one! Fuckin' yellow bastard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For the record, I don't know the answer

Pfft!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I want to say a paperboy hucks a newspaper onto the drive.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just for fun, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook: Which iconic 80s movie features this house as the backdrop of its opening scene?

At first I thought fast times but the house in that isn’t in the opener and is not quite the same

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is this the movie where the guy drives from his garage to the mail box, collects the mail, then drives back up?
Cant remember the name of this.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

DoombatINC posted:

The scene I can recall was of someone peering into a window at night. Inside was a woman, who I think was blind, sitting on a toy (rocking?) horse. She was dressed in a skimpy outfit (cowgirl-ish, I think?) and she was asking the guy who was with her (taking pictures?) if she looked good. It had a disturbing thriller vibe.

Hey guess who found his movie after twenty-something years and isn't crazy after all!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FeeXpat-c

Afraid of the Dark (1991) - a disturbing, mood-dense thriller about a series of attacks against blind women in a English community through the perspective of a delusional, morbid boy who is himself slowly going blind. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, but I'm only halfway in - I had to stop the movie to run to the internet and tell the internet that I found the movie. I misremembered her asking if she was attractive (she says she feels stupid and the photographer reassures her), and I also didn't remember her being quite so topless. Still, I knew it immediately when I saw it - stunned I got so close after all this time!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I love that movie. poo poo gets weird.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Origami Dali posted:

I love that movie. poo poo gets weird.

Boy does it ever :stare: this was GREAT - if you like classic, atmospheric British horror, it scratches the itch beautifully.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

happyhippy posted:

Is this the movie where the guy drives from his garage to the mail box, collects the mail, then drives back up?
Cant remember the name of this.

That was The Gods Must Be Crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgs528eZXSs

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Thanks but thats not the one I mean.
The car only drives down the length of the front yard, 20 foot, he collects his mail, then drives back into the garage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

happyhippy posted:

The car only drives down the length of the front yard, 20 foot, he collects his mail, then drives back into the garage

I can picture this in my mind but I can’t remember what the hell it’s from

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Similar to the ‘burbs

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

happyhippy posted:

That happens in Mom & Dad Save the World except he’s getting the newspaper.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

That happens in Mom & Dad Save the World except he’s getting the newspaper.

Teri Garr. What a fox.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Trevor Hale posted:

Teri Garr. What a fox.

And one absolutely incredible sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

And one absolutely incredible sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

I’ve thought about that scene a lot

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think this is very recent but I'm convincing myself I dreamed it: someone in the future replicates atom-correct vintage scotch and argues with his guest about whether that's good enough.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think this is very recent but I'm convincing myself I dreamed it: someone in the future replicates atom-correct vintage scotch and argues with his guest about whether that's good enough.

I don't remember that scene specifically but maybe Blade Runner 2049? Sounds like something that could happen in that film and I remember there being a Johnnie Walker tie-in with a weird looking bottle

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I don't remember it in that, but seems as likely as anything so I'll check thanks! The more I dwell on it the more I suspect it was one of those rare 'this was actually original and well plotted' dreams but would like to be wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It also sounds like it could be from Star Trek, because I could see Scotty getting upset at the idea of replicated Scotch and not the "real" thing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Davros1 posted:

It also sounds like it could be from Star Trek, because I could see Scotty getting upset at the idea of replicated Scotch and not the "real" thing.

I think you're right, google found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sYJinHOvwM

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

OK if it was a dream it was definitely drawing on that as the foundation; in my mind the guest had in fact been in hibernation or whatever. I remember the duscussion getting more philosophical about the ability for everyone to access literally any product and whether that would stifle or promote innovation by just jiggling atom combinations about. I expect that was just memories of trek threads though, so assume its solved, thanks!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
re: trek and scotch. you were actually thinking about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8Hgz8N3fE

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Timely

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1154843741666103296

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I have to admit, Trek did a really good job of hiding that Doohan had only four fingers on his right hand. (He lost his right middle finger during D-Day.) There are only a few times it's visible between the original series and the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

I have to admit, Trek did a really good job of hiding that Doohan had only four fingers on his right hand. (He lost his right middle finger during D-Day.) There are only a few times it's visible between the original series and the movies.

I didn't notice it at all until I got the series on Blu a year or so ago.