Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sure would be great if there was something in place to filter out uploads of the built in levels, levels that are just a single screen with a goalpost on it, and Auto-Mario stuff with no gameplay.

Edit: Just making it so that setting a record time of under 5 seconds made the level automatically get deleted would massively could down on shitposts.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep forgetting you can just play popular courses without going into Endless.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Lobster posted:

Went to the doctor and took my Switch. Had it tethered to my phone in the waiting room and was in Course World when a family with three daughters walks in. The middle one says to the mother, "Look mama, that lady has a Switch! That's what I want!" I asked if they liked Elsa and they were like, "Yeah!" so I showed them my Frozen level and it was a big hit. :3: It was the little one's first time playing Mario at all.

The Lobster wins the Jam, sorry everyone else.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Sure would be great if there was something in place to filter out uploads of the built in levels, levels that are just a single screen with a goalpost on it, and Auto-Mario stuff with no gameplay.

Edit: Just making it so that setting a record time of under 5 seconds made the level automatically get deleted would massively could down on shitposts.

Yeah its called not playing endless easy. you scrub. you loving plebe

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

Yeah its called not playing endless easy. you scrub. you loving plebe

Asema posted:

I keep forgetting you can just play popular courses without going into Endless.

:hmmyes:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I've got two courses here.

First up:

Mario and the Chrono Castle!
JCP-JXS-2FG

This is by far the biggest stage I've made yet. (Both in ambition and literally, it is basically the biggest a stage can be in Mario Maker.) The idea is that Mario's Time Traveling to a castle's past to push forward. I put a lot of work into this one, and I'd really like to see people play it.

Next:

MicroLevel: Switch and Smash
J3K-VWR-PBG

Then after being tired from doing that I decided to go the opposite route. And made a level that you played through pretty much in a single screen. Very short, almost impossible to die, use this as a pallet cleanser. :v:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Man, the clear rate on Make Way 3 is plummeting. Three separate deaths came from respawning the first thwomp by going backwards through the pipe (in the ceiling) and pissing him off/getting crushed.

I think literally every large thwomp has killed someone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twomps are especially dangerous enemies to people not that good at Mario I’ve noticed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NofrikinfuN posted:

Man, the clear rate on Make Way 3 is plummeting. Three separate deaths came from respawning the first thwomp by going backwards through the pipe (in the ceiling) and pissing him off/getting crushed.

I think literally every large thwomp has killed someone.

Mario Maker is Magic.

I made that race course I posted and I think it's pretty easy- there are some hazards in it but it has more of a focus on picking a path you think would be easier for you to deal with. "I expect this to get 30-40% in single player if not higher"

Realistically though I'm going to probably wind up seeing 20% and I have no idea how people are dying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If your level has way to softlock, people will go out of their way to achieve it even when you think nobody ever would.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Internet Kraken posted:

If your level has way to softlock, people will go out of their way to achieve it even when you think nobody ever would.

I had to rework my Castle level up there multiple times because I kept finding ways to softlock.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

I’m quite good at finding them.:v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Internet Kraken posted:

I need to redo my level Horror House of Hammers, because a certain goon managed to get softlocked in the puzzle room—I accidentally placed bricks on the wrong side of a one-way wall, and you'd get stuck if you went there without hitting the P-Switch. Also found another way to get softlocked in the same room, if you try to use the secret path when you're big.

It's so annoying, because I caught and fixed both of these mistakes while I was designing the room, but I changed things around so many loving times in a failed attempt to make the level able to be run backwards and forwards, and also trying to not let you cheese the puzzle by hitting a P switch in a different room, that I forgot to check again when it was done.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 25, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

It's been more than 12 hours since I've made a stage so I had to noodle around a bit and I came up with this.

Title: [10s] Castle Chaos
Code: 4TT-PVW-26G
Description: Can you make it out of this dungeon alive? One screen, 10 seconds.
Difficulty: Super Expert

Edit: I did the rear end in a top hat thing, and now it's my first Super Expert stage.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 25, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m quite good at finding them.:v:

Sometimes I deliberately do it just to leave a funny comment. Most of the time it's not, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mario Maker is Magic.

I made that race course I posted and I think it's pretty easy- there are some hazards in it but it has more of a focus on picking a path you think would be easier for you to deal with. "I expect this to get 30-40% in single player if not higher"

Realistically though I'm going to probably wind up seeing 20% and I have no idea how people are dying.

The average Mario Maker player is trash. Like, not in a judgmental way, just objectively most players are not very good. And even the ones that are good are still pretty bad - I have two "hard" levels which I was shooting for the expert border (~10%) because I like levels that are hard but ultimately straightforward and pretty much take care of themselves as long as you keep moving. One is at 3.6% and the other was at 2.5% and falling, it might actually be in Super Expert now. The Super Expert one has 3 jumps that are actually dangerous, and for one of them I literally put a mushroom right in front of it because I couldn't do it consistently enough in production.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

One of the nicer things about my current relocation (besides getting a good job that will pay extremely well) is that I'll be close to a city with an opera company. Not an enormous one, not even as large as the small one I used to go to, but a respected one. My first paycheck is going to be spent partially on some season tickets. So after I discarded my initial plans for a level based on the ballet Spartacus (it was going to have one guy with a key and then a bunch of identical guys jump up), it occurred to me that The Magic Flute actually has a structure that is very video game-y. [Super abbreviated summary for the couple of people who don't know it: a guy in the woods meets the Queen of the Night who wants his help rescuing her kidnapped daughter. Turns out the kidnappers were the good guys trying to break her power and the guy and the daughter have to pass trials of fire and water so they can win.] It also has a really impressive vocal piece that's well known. (For the next time you hear that in a commercial, she's singing about how her daughter has to murder her fiance.)

Mozart's The Mario Flute (I had to break my alliteration naming scheme for this jam :( )
GQY-M7J-NHF

Now to play the jam levels submitted so far.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Straight White Shark posted:

Good stuff. I wasn't really thrilled with the pipe area on 0 Aces, it was long and not very interesting or rewarding. Still really solid Marios.

My thought was that the change of pace was "good" for a secret area. And that if you're going to skip part of the level you should at least have to do something different. Also, I obsess over these layouts even if it doesn't look like it, so making a long straightforward tunnel in an out-of-the-way place was kind of relaxing.

Toy Tunnel Trepidation - GNV-OD5-DHG - If you liked Toy Tower Trouble.... here's another one! It was just so much fun to make. (mot all of this level takes place in a tunnel)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frozen - Let It Go
N97-2BC-0FG
By: The Lobster

I wasn't going to make a serious comment here since there's nothing to talk about with an automatic musical level and I'm the last person who should comment on musical arrangements, but those were some odd measures you chose to adapt and cut on.

Running in the 90s
J73-QTY-FHG
By: Plebian Parasite

Tough speed running stage, but not outrageously so.

Boos in the Belfry
6BM-BJ2-6WG
By: Suspicious Cook

I played this the other night but I didn't realize it was a jam level. I'm just mentioning it here for completeness sake.

Spitting Fire
LVL-5YC-KBG
By: Asema

Cute stage with the bombs. The boss felt kind of unnecessary since it wasn't related to the rest of your stage.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hopefully I will have my jam level up tomorrow. It's not long but involves a clear condition and a gimmick that will probably be unfamiliar to many players so I've spent the past three nights fretting over the difficulty and adjusting the same handful of sections over and over again.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Mozart's The Mario Flute (I had to break my alliteration naming scheme for this jam :( )
GQY-M7J-NHF

I liked the music bit, and the fireballs that jump back into the claws are a cool idea. Although I'm not sure if this was intentional, but you can cheese that part by just dropping down, the key is low enough that you can jump up and get it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I liked the music bit, and the fireballs that jump back into the claws are a cool idea. Although I'm not sure if this was intentional, but you can cheese that part by just dropping down, the key is low enough that you can jump up and get it.

I had been trying to avoid that and rebuilt that section multiple times to try to minimize the possibility but I'm not going to begrudge anybody figuring out a way around a tricky part.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

I see you and your sarcastic stamps.

Random Stranger posted:

Frozen - Let It Go
N97-2BC-0FG
By: The Lobster

I wasn't going to make a serious comment here since there's nothing to talk about with an automatic musical level and I'm the last person who should comment on musical arrangements, but those were some odd measures you chose to adapt and cut on.

The start of the song and the chorus?

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 25, 2019

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Celebrating the upload capacity increase with a new level

Kid Marius: Angel Land Story

NTC-2YG-3NG

Kid Icarus themed sky level (aesthetically only, it's a pretty basic Mario level.)

This is very pretty and still well made! I love a level with a ton of aesthetic care. I even liked it despite the hammer bros. I went through a couple of your other levels and I'm a big fan of how you make an environment.

Raging Railroad

31W N4J 9KF

Train level inspired heavily by the train in Little Nemo's Adventures on the NES, and also general action movie cliches about fighting bad dudes on top of a train. Shouldn't be too incredibly difficult I think.

This one has great energy and feels fun as heck. Plus I love the train creativity.

Tried my hand at a more thematic level, should hopefully be easier/less frustrating than my previous levels:

Dire Docks

T2V-GDY-GHG

This was very spooky, great use of the tilesets.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Artix posted:

The average Mario Maker player is trash. Like, not in a judgmental way, just objectively most players are not very good. And even the ones that are good are still pretty bad - I have two "hard" levels which I was shooting for the expert border (~10%) because I like levels that are hard but ultimately straightforward and pretty much take care of themselves as long as you keep moving. One is at 3.6% and the other was at 2.5% and falling, it might actually be in Super Expert now. The Super Expert one has 3 jumps that are actually dangerous, and for one of them I literally put a mushroom right in front of it because I couldn't do it consistently enough in production.

Eh, I wouldn't be so pessimistic. It's very common for a designer's course to be much more difficult than they judge. After all, players don't have your knowledge of a course or your practice with it, so I'd err on the side of making a course slightly easier. Another factor: speed-runners will bring your clear rate down, since they might reset after messing something up slightly (resets count against your clear rate, right?).

Random Stranger posted:

One of the nicer things about my current relocation (besides getting a good job that will pay extremely well) is that I'll be close to a city with an opera company. Not an enormous one, not even as large as the small one I used to go to, but a respected one. My first paycheck is going to be spent partially on some season tickets. So after I discarded my initial plans for a level based on the ballet Spartacus (it was going to have one guy with a key and then a bunch of identical guys jump up), it occurred to me that The Magic Flute actually has a structure that is very video game-y. [Super abbreviated summary for the couple of people who don't know it: a guy in the woods meets the Queen of the Night who wants his help rescuing her kidnapped daughter. Turns out the kidnappers were the good guys trying to break her power and the guy and the daughter have to pass trials of fire and water so they can win.] It also has a really impressive vocal piece that's well known. (For the next time you hear that in a commercial, she's singing about how her daughter has to murder her fiance.)

GQY-M7J-NHF

Your discussion of opera intrigues me. I've gone to two operas in my life, with mixed feelings. While both of the operas bored me, I still really enjoyed the whole experience of going to the opera. It sounds like you've thought your level through a lot, so I'll try to beat it later.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wound up making 2 levels today. Was bit with a bug!!

I wanted to make a ghost ship level and wound up having a lot of fun throwing this together. It's a classic airship that mostly relies on a small handful of traps used in different ways and boos. Can you find a way to get the ships treasure and escape alive??? Or will you be joining the airships damned deck hands!!!
The title is a joke on Barbarossa. I couldn't decide on Boo-beard or that...........

Posted at the very bottom of the last page but a multiplayer level I put together. Any feedback in general would be appreciated as I timed all the paths to roughly take the same amount of time to complete and it's kinda hard to make multiplayer focused levels that arent' just sectioned off lanes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wound up making 2 levels today. Was bit with a bug!!

I wanted to make a ghost ship level and wound up having a lot of fun throwing this together. It's a classic airship that mostly relies on a small handful of traps used in different ways and boos. Can you find a way to get the ships treasure and escape alive??? Or will you be joining the airships damned deck hands!!!
The title is a joke on Barbarossa. I couldn't decide on Boo-beard or that...........

Those are some really weird looking tits.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rollersnake posted:

Those are some really weird looking tits.

:negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

The start of the song and the chorus?

The thing is that you've only got 20-some measures to work with in a song laid out as an auto-level. So by not selectively arranging you wind up cutting things off awkwardly. You kind of have to cut pieces out of the song where you can bridge thing appropriately. I'm pretty far from an expert on the subject, I just noticed the abrupt endings.

DorianGravy posted:

Your discussion of opera intrigues me. I've gone to two operas in my life, with mixed feelings. While both of the operas bored me, I still really enjoyed the whole experience of going to the opera. It sounds like you've thought your level through a lot, so I'll try to beat it later.

I won't begrudge anyone for not enjoying an opera. Especially when we're talking about pre-20th century operas which have their own set of hurdles. I'm not even a big opera nerd, I just enjoy seeing it performed and I've lived over a decade in someplace that wasn't an option.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Honestly surprised their word filter didn't catch boob-arosa.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NofrikinfuN posted:

Luigi's Mansion is my shield

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

Saw someone on reddit saying they saw a level in Endless called "too many sound afeces" (effects) so there are a lot of words they haven't filtered out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

okay i just spent entirely too long drawing an athf-related comment i hope they enjoy it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I made a course in the original named Boo-Battalion that had boos with cannons everywhere and one of the first comments after I posted was "boob italian". It never got taken down, so maybe boo puns are fair game. :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had a course in MM1 named THE IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS OF DOOM or something, the joke being it was a lovely garbage fort built by goombas. Its my only course that has ever been deleted and I have no clue why. My only guess is Nintendo just purged every course with the title in all-caps at some point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In mario maker 1 I made a level featuring cheep cheeps and boos and titled it something like Fear the Boo Bass and nothing happened.

E: Nevermind it's still up and it's You Cannot Handle the Boo-Bass so it's even better

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 25, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I spent part of vacation making my first "top down, heavily themed" level. I took on a few famous setpieces from MGS. A fun challenge for myself, though I still have a lot to learn. Hopefully my interpretations of the original make sense!

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1154218643632222209?s=19

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

This is very pretty and still well made! I love a level with a ton of aesthetic care. I even liked it despite the hammer bros. I went through a couple of your other levels and I'm a big fan of how you make an environment.

This one has great energy and feels fun as heck. Plus I love the train creativity.

This was very spooky, great use of the tilesets.

Aww, thanks! :kimchi:

(if you didn't notice, the rest of my levels are not nearly as creative or thematic though, so yyyeah you probably don't want to bother with the others)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I made a level, drat it! I actually worked way too long on this.

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1154237237053157377

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay

Phantasium posted:

okay i just spent entirely too long drawing an athf-related comment i hope they enjoy it.

Same. I spend more time drawing random comments on every level I like than actually playing the game.