Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Annath posted:

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm surprised that it can actively do anything, as the speakers don't have any power input, just speaker wire. But then again, I don't know much of anything about music equipment.

When you say they're niche/have a fan base, what do you mean?

Oh I just mean people like here
https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/8ro0hb/got_these_for_free_along_with_a_nonworking_amp/
and audio forums getting a little excited about them, and talking about that EBD circuit being "famous" and the like. Just seems like some people are really into them and they're at least notable - I only googled the model though (CS-905)

e- this is what I saw about the circuit
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneers-electronic-bass-drive-vs-the-watkins-woofer-circuit.699566/

quote:

The Pioneer version is a little more complex, but all in all it appears to be very similar to the Watkins circuit; "second coil has a lower impedance than the conventional coil and which is connected in series with a tuned circuit designed to resonante at the acoustical resonant frequency of speaker."

I'm no engineer though so v:shobon:v

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Thanks for the responses from everyone regarding my problems recording the SM57 at a decent volume.

I ended up going for the Triton Fethead instead of the CloudLifter CL-1. The new ones do +27dB clean gain (compared to +28dB for the CL-1 or Dynamite DM1) and it doesn't require an additional cable. The price is also quite a bit nicer (120 CAD vs. 200 CAD) and it won't take up additional desk space. It should be here in a couple days- and with the money saved vs. the cloudlifter I can put toward a noise isolation mic stand/arm.

I still don't imagine the mic response will be particularly good if I'm more than a couple feet away- so I'm not sure how YouTube folks like Veritasium, VSauce, or HBomberguy keep their mics out of frame while getting good response levels on their recording. Clever mic placement?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i'm not sure about those guys in particular, but i know a lot of youtubers use SM7Bs instead of 57s. i've only ever close miked with both so i don't know if one sounds better from a distance than the other, but i think as long as you have some sort of acoustic treatment to help with reflections then a couple feet away should still be usable. for stuff further from the camera, the sennheiser g3 series lavalier mics are pretty popular among youtubers.

your other option for non-lav micing from offscreen is a shotgun condenser. rode videomics are popular as far as i know. i used to do location sound for TV and everyone i know primarily used an MKH416, but for youtube stuff i use either an MKH50 for indoors or an ME66 for outdoors/foley. those options are significantly more expensive though, and you probably don't need them if you're just doing a vlog-style medium-close.

all that said, i'm sure you can probably get good results with a 57 with mic placement and basic acoustic treatment of your space. it'll just require a little more experimentation and prep than a shotgun mic would.

as far as effects chains, i usually just do some slight noise reduction and some compression. a huge chunk of people watching youtube videos are on a phone, so as long as it's intelligible you should be good. an important thing to know is that youtube normalizes things down to -16LUFS, but won't normalize up.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Great reply. This is going to be a facepalm but I honestly hadn't considered room acoustics. I mostly use the room for music production and light video work, and defaulted to headphones whenever I needed to listen to a clean signal devoid of the room verb. But definitely something to consider, and perhaps a more prescient use of the money I saved from purchasing the Fethead.

Don't know much about acoustic treatments though, so will have to do some research on that and pick the cheapest Amazon solution! :v:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

if you're looking for a quick & dirty solution, you can find cheap furniture blankets to hang up/drape over stuff. there are also slightly better/more expensive ones, but i've found doubling up on cheap lovely ones is still pretty effective for the price. i don't use them much for video, but i definitely toss up a couple c-stands or light stands when i'm recording vocals for music to build a makeshift vocal booth and i've been pretty happy with the results!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I think the biggest problem with my room is the size and the fact the window is directly behind my studio desk-

Room is 14'x9'. Turns out I'd need about $1000 to deck it out with Auralex Project2 (24 foam pads, 8 bass traps). I Don't exactly have that handy, so I will have to do it piecemeal and with DIY supplements. To that end, I bought myself a pack of the 2'x2' auralex foam pads (12) for now. I also had a bunch of curtains not in use since the move, so I quadrupled up on the curtains behind the computer so now there is a thick set of multilayered fabric..

Too bad I'll have to tear all the decorations down!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Isn't your issue way more about the mic than the room treatment? If you need to pick up at a distance, there isn't really a way around that except using a mic that's designed for it, right? Just cranking a dynamic mic will bring in a bunch of noise - at that point treating the room might help polish the sound a little, but hell hbomb records in a garage full of stuff half the time

I mean I don't have much experience with this, other people can chime in, I'm just worried you're gonna tear your room down hoping you'll get condenser-style results with an SM57

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

They got the TritonAudio Fethead as the real solution. Fiddling with the acoustics is just a bonus.

12 panels is more than enough by the way. Covering the window with curtains will probably already get you halfway of what's achievable in that room. With that many panels, I'd think about suspending a few from the ceiling, if that's feasible. I wouldn't bother with bass traps just for recording voice.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah sorry- to be clear the FetHead was my solution for mic recording, particularly for video and streaming. Acoustic treatment was a long overdue general issue for my music recording and production space. Room is super tinny and harsh.

Flipperwaldt posted:

12 panels is more than enough by the way. Covering the window with curtains will probably already get you halfway of what's achievable in that room. With that many panels, I'd think about suspending a few from the ceiling, if that's feasible. I wouldn't bother with bass traps just for recording voice.

Thanks for the placement advice. I have to rely on adhesives and foam for mounting panels since it's a rented space. I plan to use 2 panels directly behind the monitor speakers on either side of the curtain. I'll do the old mirror trick on the side walls, so I will use at least 4 panels there (1 per speaker per wall). Unfortunately, I can't do much about the far side of the room since it's just two doors- one of which is opens in the middle and each half is too small for a panel without cutting in half. This leaves me with at least 6 panels to either place on the ceiling or double up/additional coverage on the side walls.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 20, 2019

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Here are the results for the interested parties- there are two panels on the roof you can just barely see but didn't want to get the room light in the shot. Biggest difference I noticed so far is the enhanced directionality of my monitors since the highs/reverb isn't as smeared and overblown.

Mic works great with fethead- pretty clean signal from a couple feet with minimal noise even when speakers are on.

thanks again for the help + recommendations on mics + room.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 24, 2019

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Is there any gear that's considered "essential" for use with Ableton? I'm using it primarily as a composer, writing whole pieces section by section in session view, then merging them in arrangement. Sometimes I compose directly into arrangement view without using the session at all. I picked up a Launchkey 49 to improve work flow and I like it quite a bit. I hate mousing around so I'd like to delegate to a control surface as often as possible.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If your whole setup is based around composing within Ableton with a focus on session view, then the no-brainer suggestion is the Push2. It’s an all in one solution for Ableton, but with a hefty price tag.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Push 2 is badass but too pricey for me at the moment, and little bit too heavy-duty. The Launchkey covers basically anything I'd do live (patch switching for the keyboard), and it's decent for session tracking and control. I'd like something that's suited for MIDI roll editing, because that's where I tend to spend the most time - tracking to MIDI live, then tweaking, copying, rewriting, overdubbing, etc. Honestly there's so much hardware on the market that I don't know what to look for. Maybe I just need a guide to Ableton workflow...

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You'd likely enjoy a combo of the Launchkey and Launchpad. Akai APC40mk2 might also be a good alternative to the Launchpad if you want some knobs/sliders. But there really is no substitute for the Push2 as an all in one solution purpose built for the Ableton workflow- especially with your need for a midi roll editor. As far as I know, you can use the Launchpad similar to the Push2 for midi-roll editing- but it's a bit of a hacky solution.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I think the Launchpad Pro is a cheaper alternative to the Push2 with much more functionality than the regular Launchpad model.

I have a Push2 and can echo that it is an incredible controller for Ableton and is so much more inspiring than just working in the software. I would also look at the A-series keyboards from Native Instruments. They are affordable and integrate with a Ableton pretty well

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The Launchpad Pro is within my price range. What's the benefit of using pads? I don't think I'd ever use them for note input - I play piano so it would totally gently caress me up to write without a keyboard.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i have a maschine mikro but i like using it for note input because it gets me out of the traditional keyboard layout rut, especially since i'm not great at theory.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Do you have any favorite YouTube channels that focus on composition and music theory, preferably in pop music (basically anything that's not classical and jazz)? I've so far really enjoyed Signals Music Studio and Rick Beato's channels.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Adam Neely has done some videos on music theory in pop music, but he does also get way in the weeds with jazz and classical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7cG9QIvIWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZ74JdxCt0

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's not straight music theory, but Point Blank Music School is centered around electronic and pop music. Including theory.

More importantly though, is Ski Oakenfull's Track Deconstruction series

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoQXINSwuTGnOJ6zgG9j141GK6leuMHQy

example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_fWfmQ1ZbM&t=28s

also:
https://soundcloud.com/theklossessions

Christian James Hand breaks down the classics. This is really good!

I mean, pop is more about a hook and a great arrangement than scales and functional harmony.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

12tone

Switched On Pop podcast

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Not youtube and not theory but this is a very good podcast focused on the creative process and the artist experience/story when creating a track

http://songexploder.net/

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Pyramind is an incredible, underappreciated channel mostly focused on Electronic music that does excellent breakdowns of theory and arrangements. Matt Donner's 'breakdown' series is quite good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do you have any favorite YouTube channels that focus on composition and music theory, preferably in pop music (basically anything that's not classical and jazz)? I've so far really enjoyed Signals Music Studio and Rick Beato's channels.

If you're into jam bands at all "Anatomy of a Jam" analyzes famous Phish jams in a really fun way, you learn a lot and don't have to be a Phish fan to enjoy/understand the videos, they're entertaining for anyone interested in learning about theory and improvisation in rock/jam music.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok, stay with me here- jazzduets does song analysis of pop music but it's cool stuff like Stevie Wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gj0vl2zI58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIbSCI712tw

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I’ve been interested in getting into music arrangement for a number of years, and I’m looking for recommendations for software/equipment that can... how do I put this?... isolate various sounds/parts in the songs I want to arrange, so I can hear the notes in each part better.

Yes, I know I’m overthinking this, and I don’t care. Just roll with me.

I guess my first question is, does this even exist?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Traditional notation ok? Finale and Sibelius can definitely do that with MIDI instruments. Musescore too, and it's free.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hawkperson posted:

Traditional notation ok? Finale and Sibelius can definitely do that with MIDI instruments. Musescore too, and it's free.

Sorry, I think I’m not explaining this clearly enough. I meant I’m looking for something that can isolate sounds in the original songs themselves, not in my arrangements.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

I. M. Gei posted:

Sorry, I think I’m not explaining this clearly enough. I meant I’m looking for something that can isolate sounds in the original songs themselves, not in my arrangements.

Are you talking about splitting up existing songs into tracks (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc)? If so, then you’d need the original multitrack recordings for that. Sometimes you can get rid of vocals from a stereo track with some phase trickery, but you can’t pull individual parts/instruments out of a normal song.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Melodyne can help. It ain't cheap, but its what we use in the studio I work at.

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdP7foaKuw

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the full version of Melodyne's the only thing I know that can do that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JohnnySmitch posted:

Are you talking about splitting up existing songs into tracks (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc)? If so, then you’d need the original multitrack recordings for that. Sometimes you can get rid of vocals from a stereo track with some phase trickery, but you can’t pull individual parts/instruments out of a normal song.

I’m not expecting anything to be able to split every part in a song, but I’m thinking there’s probably something out there that can at least make it easier to hear each one.

Pokey Araya posted:

Melodyne can help. It ain't cheap, but its what we use in the studio I work at.

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdP7foaKuw

quote:

$849

Wellllllll gently caress.

I don’t suppose I could get away with one of the cheaper versions if all I want to do is hear the parts and not edit them?

EDIT: Oh there’s a 30-day trial version. Well that helps.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 24, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What songs are you talking about? If it's pop/rock/metal or whatever there are a ton of tracks on youtube ripped from games like Rock Band (try searching "*song name* isolated *instrument*" or something). Obviously that's gonna be limited to certain styles and only certain songs though, but there are a lot

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Wasn't really sure where to put this, but this seemed like a good thread for general knowledge and resources.

The BBC just released 16,000 sound effects from their archive for free WAV download: http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

Might have some useful stuff for recording/beat-making.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Can anyone recommend any reading (online or otherwise) about promoting recorded music in niche markets? I'm always on the lookout for guidance about gaining an audience, but usually what I find is geared towards people making mainstream music. I want to know how ambient, underground, and avant-garde types do it.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 31, 2019

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Buy Tour Smart, by Martin Atkins. It's not all just about touring, and the dude has really helped alot of my bands out. Sign up for his email list for a pdf, and see if you like his style.

http://www.toursmart.tstouring.com/?page_id=222

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Microphone question! I've had this clip-on mic for a few years now, bought it to use on my trumpet but never got around to it. I'm interested in hooking it up to my newly built PC for possible noodling on my trumpet, possibly using it as a microphone for online chatting/gaming/misc. Is this possible? I have an XLR to 3.5mm converter, but when plugged in my PC doesn't even see it. This isn't something that a preamp would fix, correct?

I am wayyyyy out of the loop for this kind of stuff, so assume I know nothing, ha!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Johnny Truant posted:

Microphone question! I've had this clip-on mic for a few years now, bought it to use on my trumpet but never got around to it. I'm interested in hooking it up to my newly built PC for possible noodling on my trumpet, possibly using it as a microphone for online chatting/gaming/misc. Is this possible? I have an XLR to 3.5mm converter, but when plugged in my PC doesn't even see it. This isn't something that a preamp would fix, correct?

I am wayyyyy out of the loop for this kind of stuff, so assume I know nothing, ha!

You’d be best off getting an audio interface with an XLR input (and built-in preamp). I’d recommend something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

JohnnySmitch posted:

You’d be best off getting an audio interface with an XLR input (and built-in preamp). I’d recommend something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

Haha, that's what I've now had three friends recommend to me! Looks like I'm gonna borrow a preamp from a friend to see how it vibes, then probably purchase my own a little down the line. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You don't have to spend much to do better than what your built in sound and its line in can offer