Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

twodot posted:

Evidence for this? Like are you imagining there is a Republican out there that is about to start believing people shouldn't be starved to death, but then they read my post, and decided that to impress me personally they are instead going to remain consistent in being pro-starvation?

This isn’t necessarily about the post on somethingawful.com, which are all irrelevant, it’s about the merits of a particular line of attack and thinking behind that attack. If you attack people and say that they can’t be trusted or are feebleminded because they at one point held different views, I think the natural outcome is to discourage people to change their views. I think we should welcome people who change their mind to the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was just mocking your baseless supposition by reference to a another baseless supposition that's also currently popular with the "change isn't possible" moderate intelligentsia

And I was saying that it wasn’t a valid comparison.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Democrazy posted:

And I was saying that it wasn’t a valid comparison.

:shrug:

Anyway, you gonna retract the bit about me attacking Warren?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

This isn’t necessarily about the post on somethingawful.com, which are all irrelevant, it’s about the merits of a particular line of attack and thinking behind that attack. If you attack people and say that they can’t be trusted or are feebleminded because they at one point held different views, I think the natural outcome is to discourage people to change their views. I think we should welcome people who change their mind to the better.

This is tantamount to mandating gullibility, just FYI.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

:shrug:

Anyway, you gonna retract the bit about me attacking Warren?

If you say that Warren can’t be trusted or is dumb because of views she held in the 90’s, I believe that’s an attack, even an attack against someone you may otherwise like.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
we are literally all going to die because neolibs can't stop jacking themselves into a frenzy long enough to acknowledge that they are wrong, they have always been wrong, the results they have gotten have paved the way for fascist ethnic cleansing and mass sexual abuse and murder, and the best thing you can say for it is, "we didn't mean for it to end up like this, we're sorry", the truth is it's not just Warren, but basically every centrist liberal scumbag that should have been told to shut the gently caress up and get out of the way feels entitled to their Hillary and Nancy and Chuck and Barack assed "it's my turn to say the responsible optics words!!!" pablum ego stroke session. Cowards, all of you. None of you are free from centrism, and it will devour you, personally, from the inside like a cancer, and at the same time you've doomed your nation, species, and biome. good job

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

crazy cloud posted:

we are literally all going to die because neolibs can't stop jacking themselves into a frenzy long enough to acknowledge that they are wrong, they have always been wrong, the results they have gotten have paved the way for fascist ethnic cleansing and mass sexual abuse and murder, and the best thing you can say for it is, "we didn't mean for it to end up like this, we're sorry", the truth is it's not just Warren, but basically every centrist liberal scumbag that should have been told to shut the gently caress up and get out of the way feels entitled to their Hillary and Nancy and Chuck and Barack assed "it's my turn to say the responsible optics words!!!" pablum ego stroke session. Cowards, all of you. None of you are free from centrism, and it will devour you, personally, from the inside like a cancer, and at the same time you've doomed your nation, species, and biome. good job

perhaps the real battle is the battle between centrism and leftism in our own hearts

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Democrazy posted:

If you say that Warren can’t be trusted or is dumb because of views she held in the 90’s, I believe that’s an attack, even an attack against someone you may otherwise like.

drat, never thought of it that way...

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Democrazy posted:

This isn’t necessarily about the post on somethingawful.com, which are all irrelevant, it’s about the merits of a particular line of attack and thinking behind that attack. If you attack people and say that they can’t be trusted or are feebleminded because they at one point held different views, I think the natural outcome is to discourage people to change their views.
Evidence for this? If you're a Republican and you are about to realize that starvation is bad, part of the realization that you were wrong has to also be that you were bad, that being pro-starvation is bad and you were bad in the past. If you're about to realize starvation is bad, but then you think "The cool kids in the anti-starvation club will think I'm a second class member because of my previous pro-starvation beliefs, therefore I better continue to be pro-starvation" you are not in the middle of any sort of actual realization. A person who legitimately understood this would think "I have to be anti-starvation because that is good and correct, but perhaps I'm not best qualified to be king of the anti-starvation club".

quote:

I think we should welcome people who change their mind to the better.
I can think of ways to welcome Warren other than "Let her run for President of the United States of America against a candidate that is better on issues and has a better history while ignoring she was a Republican into her 40s"
edit:
Like if the argument were "Calling my friend a former Republican at dinner parties is uncomfortable and really not helping" I would get that, but Warren's not your friend, and this isn't a dinner party.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 24, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Democrazy posted:

You're still responding to the imaginary tiny posting man in your head, not to anything I've written

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Typo posted:

perhaps the real battle is the battle between centrism and leftism in our own hearts

the centrist/liberal has no heart

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I will never trust a reaganite

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Democrazy posted:

If you don’t want people over a certain age to change their politics, that’s an odd position to take in relation to electoral politics. I want people to evaluate their beliefs and to grow and ultimately end up in a better place than they started, but that’s just me.

It’s also bizarre in the sense that it basically condemns every person lived in a conservative environment or else just had a different mindset to hold those beliefs in perpetuity. I mean, that’s just odd.

I want people to change their politics from "gently caress minorities, kill all poors" to having basic morality and empathy. But I don't think that doing that is some kind of impressive accomplishment that signifies that someone should be rewarded by ascending to national office - especially if it comes without ever really acknowledging the horrific evils of their previous views.

Moreover, there's an important point that's getting lost here: Warren isn't asserting that she's changed her views. It's likely that she has, but you have to go digging and interviewing her longtime friends to find that out, because she doesn't advertise it. Instead, she implies that she didn't change her views, and that it's the GOP that changed by abandoning their Reaganite principled conservatism in the 90s and becoming devotees of Big Capitalism instead. Let's look at one interview quote about her change of parties:

quote:

I was an independent. I was with the GOP for a while because I really thought that it was a party that was principled in its conservative approach to economics and to markets. And I feel like the GOP party just left that. They moved to a party that said, “No, it’s not about a level playing field. It’s now about a field that’s gotten tilted.” And they really stood up for the big financial institutions when the big financial institutions are just hammering middle class American families. I just feel like that’s a party that moved way, way away.
Note the implication there that the GOP used to be good about economics and protecting the little guy, and that they changed and became the party of big finance instead and that's when she stopped supporting them. Hell of a thing to be thinking in 1996, over a decade and a half after the Reagan Revolution.

Moreover, the GOP's economic policies aren't the only reason we hate Republicans here. There's also the racism, misogyny, homophobia, hatred for immigrants, hatred for non-Christians, desire to impose Christian religious beliefs on American law, aggressive foreign policy and military adventurism, pro-privatization policy, brutal criminal justice practices, constitutional abuses, and much much more. The GOP backed all those things while she supported them, but Warren's never talked about any of those having any impact on her changing parties.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

But I don't think that doing that is some kind of impressive accomplishment that signifies that someone should be rewarded by ascending to national office - especially if it comes without ever really acknowledging the horrific evils of their previous views.

This is possibly the most important part; Warren has never really expressed an understanding of how bad it was to be a Republican even in the 80s/90s.

Chilichimp posted:

I mean... I was a republican. I voted for Bernie in 2016. I voted straight ticket democrat in 2018. I'm probably voting for Bernie in 2020.

Don't pretend no one can be saved from indoctrination by exposure to positive ideas and a little bit of time (and patience).

And I think it's fair to question the judgement of someone who was not able to realize that being a Republican is bad until they were in their 40s. And that includes you if you're old enough for your Republican time period to include post-college adult life.

Remember, we are discussing people running for Literally President of the United States. She is running for a position responsible for millions of lives. It makes perfect sense to be strict when it comes to evaluating candidates for that position (assuming you actually understand that politics is something with real consequences, which I'm not entirely sure many liberals do).

Democrazy posted:

You don't get brownie points just for being a not-poo poo person, and anyone who is willing to stop being decent because others won't praise them for it never stopped being lovely to begin with. This is like the people who arguing that the US ending slavery shows its moral righteousness.

Part of seeking forgiveness for bad things is realizing that its other peoples' choice whether or not to forgive you. Being a bigot, or holding similarly toxic views, is not something a person has the right to demand others forgive them for. It's a completely different question as to whether they should be punished, but they absolutely don't deserve a praise for merely "not being a piece of poo poo."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pelosi is gonna kill the Dems chances lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Craptacular! posted:

The Democrats had old racists hanging around into the Bush years. The Republicans has Strom, of course, but the flip of the southern racists didn’t really come around until Reagan as lots of older people in the northern cities (because, again, there were lots of lovely racists in Union territory as well) moved south due to lower rents and the standard of air conditioning making living there tolerable. And I mentioned Shelby, who changed to Republican in 1994.

Warren said she was a Republican because family and so on, but the flip from Dixiecrats to GOP Racism didn’t happen just for Nixon’s re-election. It was a slow gradual change over 25 years. I guess you can complain that she wasn’t disgusted by Reagan, but Reagan didn’t really gently caress up the tax brackets to let the rich loot us all until his second term.

This is completely ahistorical. The Republican party started to become the party of racists with the civil rights movement and by 1980 was firmly established as such. In the South, by the 70s this was already the case. A few racist dems during the Bush years changes nothing. A self-identified Native American voted for Reagan twice despite the party being openly racist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

Idk, maybe.

Maybe Warren understands that political fights are secondary to having plans and that there are ways to redress divergences of interests, maybe she has the base that she has precisely because she lays bare plans to to improve peoples lives, and maybe the media should actually report on who's got actual plans AND BILLS in congress instead of taking a Bart Simpson act at face value.

Her plans don't improve poo poo though, is the thing. It's all just deck chairs on the titanic

Like look at her rent proposal from a couple weeks ago. Absolute loving dogshit the minute you look at it for two minutes but it's a plan so it must be good.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Note the implication there that the GOP used to be good about economics and protecting the little guy, and that they changed and became the party of big finance instead and that's when she stopped supporting them. Hell of a thing to be thinking in 1996, over a decade and a half after the Reagan Revolution.

that statement is completely baffling. she's a 70 year old woman from oklahoma. the republicans have been the party of the cigar-sucking banker who foreclosed on your granddaddy's farm her entire life

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Why did somebody copy paste Bernies post history?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

What does the donut in handle reference even mean?

Dems tried to buy off Nina turner at I think the DNC with donuts and water. Donut Twitter is people who think that was fine and good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

Gosh could it have anything to do with posters itt uncritically parroting the idea that he has no plans, only rhetoric?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dems tried to buy off Nina turner at I think the DNC with donuts and water. Donut Twitter is people who think that was fine and good.

To expound slightly, they locked her out and gave her some donuts and water as a "go away" thing. The donut twitter poo poo then literally began as folks who thought this was actually incredibly good and also very polite on their part in the face of an ~uppity black woman~.

Like I poo poo you not, it was initially described by the folks putting it on as them being kind, classy, hospitable folks who will be nice and give you donuts even if they don't like you. Like some dumb permutation on "they go low, we go high" poo poo.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

cold take but Bernie Sanders is gonna be the Democratic nominee and then the President

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1154165361945673728?s=20

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bernie bribing people with insulin in exchange for their vote, a shameful display

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
cooping is a grand tradition in american politics

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Any good news since the first debate?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Bernie Sanders is taking a bunch of people to Canada to get the medicine they need to live

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrazy posted:

If you don’t want people over a certain age to change their politics, that’s an odd position to take in relation to electoral politics. I want people to evaluate their beliefs and to grow and ultimately end up in a better place than they started, but that’s just me.

I want them to change their politics but that doesn't mean I prefer them as President to someone who was fighting for the right thing all along even when it wasn't popular to be right

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Grouchio posted:

Biden has tumbled from a commanding lead to just a clear one. The rest of the news is bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I want them to change their politics but that doesn't mean I prefer them as President to someone who was fighting for the right thing all along even when it wasn't popular to be right

Yeah; I feel like Democrazy's attitude about this kinda reveals that he doesn't really appreciate how bad some of those views are and the real harm they cause, because his analogy falls apart if you compare it with other harmful beliefs or actions.

There's a big difference between "doing good things" and "stopping doing bad things." The former often deserves praise, but the latter is just what should be expected of people (and anyone who is unwilling to do so without praise was never good to begin with).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Because it doesn’t count as a plan unless you post it on medium.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Joe bidens wife: oh hunny youve been just so depressed since Obama left office you should get out there and run for president

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

the discussion is over

is it is time to take action. only disingenuous shitlibs and conservatives want to keep a discussion going to obfuscate meaningful progressive agendas and action to continue moving goal posts.

the debate is over

the people have spoken largely in favor of their demands and want to see it pressed upon to ensure a better way forward for the future, in a time where resources and wealth are the most abundant in human history and it is all being stolen and controlled.

stop mincing, stop talking. it is over. time to DO SOMETHING.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terror Sweat posted:

I will never trust a reaganite

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
progressive:] climate change is real, and it is caused by the fossil fuel industry. Debate over.

shitlib centrist:] well actually there's other things so we shouldn't really

progressive:] debate over. The science is there, it is time to reduce emissions and transfer to clean energy

shitlib centrist:] but not all clean energy is good you know becaus-

progressive:] debate over. it is time for medicare 4 all, healthcare is a human right and we need abolish private healthcare industry

shitlib centrist:] but people will lose their jobs, and we will lose money and not everyone wil wan-

progressive:] debate over. medicare 4 all has shown that not only it saves money, it creates a surplus from the taxes and the lack of a leech source where americans can spend their money elsewhere will boost the economy of other industries and the american people are in favor of it. end of discussion.

shitlib centrist;] well u kno

progressive:] end. of. discussion. putting into action.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

this is debate and discussion, not dismiss and deploy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Calibanibal posted:

this is debate and discussion, not dismiss and deploy

not under President Bernie

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1154090116001886208

End of Discussion :bern101:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

the discussion is over

is it is time to take action. only disingenuous shitlibs and conservatives want to keep a discussion going to obfuscate meaningful progressive agendas and action to continue moving goal posts.

the debate is over

the people have spoken largely in favor of their demands and want to see it pressed upon to ensure a better way forward for the future, in a time where resources and wealth are the most abundant in human history and it is all being stolen and controlled.

stop mincing, stop talking. it is over. time to DO SOMETHING.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20

This is a very bad gimmick and no one in this debate and discussion thread is saying those dumb things you're saying.

You stood up a whole row of straw men to knock over because you're mad at "liberals?" ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Can I count on you to vote for Bernie Sanders? I think he would be a good president as a foot in the door for the younger generations to follow through in positions of government where they can help distribute the wealth, repair the institutions that enforces systemic sexism and racism such as ratifying the ERA and legalizing weed and erasing criminal records of marijuana possession. :3:

I feel the other democrat candidates have weaker positions that will deflate turnout due to apathy and will continue to appease to republican ultimatums and reduce the quality and intent of original policies meant to replenish the working class and reinvest in our domestic infrastructure after two deliberately failed wars with the intent to expand the DoD budget continuously to feed the MIC in order to seize and control foreign resources of oil and poppy to be imported back in the form of pollution and opioid deaths. They are also in pursuit of proving that the money they have earned and been given was well earned because of meritocracy and exceptionalism which doesn't spur confidence or a healthy worldview to tackle the modern issues we face today.

Under a Harris Presidency we will see the expansion of the police state at the behest of corporatism which will fracture american families and atomize communities beyond repair.

Under a Biden Presidency we will see more stringent patrician policies (daddy knows best, pipe down kids) designed to maintain the status quo but appeal to the liberal fantasy of a return to thirdwayist normalcy without the :dogwhistle: constantly being turned into a foghorn :decorum: and resume a meritocracy of failsons and faildaughters (that Joe can sniff) of the elites and leave the majority of americans in the lurch, ensuring further radicalization down the road.

Even if you disagree, whoever your preferred candidate is, I hope we can be civil about this instead of slinging angry words and reach a compromise to ensure the best quality candidate goes forward that aligns with the american people's interests in order to secure the nomination after passing rigorous standards set forth by the terminally online, and the offline together. After all we, not the donor class have the bigger say so in this democracy and they will listen. I am open to hearing the merits of other candidates minus the two that were mentioned, Harris and Biden. If I may be candid to not waste our times, might as well include the rest of the field with the exception of Marianne Williamson, Andrew Yang, and Bernie Sanders in pursuit of an honest and stimulating debate on their pros and cons. Thank you. :h:

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 25, 2019