Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I dunno I feel like demon explores themes of identity more strongly than changeling tends to, and changeling is way more about the trauma survival aspects and rebuilding a life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Promethean is right there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My biggest problem with Demon is it's 2E and I'm a grog who prefers nWoD 1E.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I would love Demon if any of the powers were understandable.

I love the set up, I love the backstory and so much of it requires a creativity of using rules I just don't have.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would do terrible things for a total conversion of the ChroD setting and splat powers into a Nobilis-like system.

You can build a ChroD-style vampire or mage in Nobilis pretty easily with the Superior Quality and magic Skill system and maybe one or two Gifts. They just wouldn't be PC-level.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The problem with treating Demon as similar to Changeling is that demons were never human to begin with. They were even more alien before the Fall. There is no normal life for them to compare with – for them, normal is being a barely sapient party of a great machine.

They aren't even similar to fetches, because they don't think they are the person they replaced. If your family member is replaced with a fetch, what you get is a family member that is slightly different and will turn into trash after they die, but in most parts still thinks as the person you knew. If they make a Pact with a demon and it comes to collect, that person is gone. Instead, you get a doppelganger that can perfectly lie and whose ambitions and plans mostly involve a giant occult supercomputer.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If it's not too late, don't be a Setite. Be a Baali posing as a Setite.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Gantolandon posted:

The problem with treating Demon as similar to Changeling is that demons were never human to begin with. They were even more alien before the Fall. There is no normal life for them to compare with – for them, normal is being a barely sapient party of a great machine.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

A Demon's Fall is presented an equally traumatic event (even when, and especially if, it's undertaken knowingly), and there's a strong focus on the idea They'll Never Be The Same because they're amputating everything that can't be stuffed into their biomechanical horror of a body and how deeply their Fall ends up shaping their entire worldview. Yes, there's more focus on the trauma element in Changeling, but it's just as present in Demon. (Especially when Intergrators and Exiles come into play)

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm not saying Demon is bad, just to be clear. I just haven't been able to get over my annoyance in the sheer number of elements it lifted from Changeling, particularly after Changeling Pacts got neutered messily in 2e presumably because now it was a core element in Demon.

These are all good points and you're right, these games are exploring humanity as a theme, just from different perspectives. Changelings represent a return or reclamation of humanity, Promethian is the genesis of humanity (an initial transformation rather than the changeling's return to form) and Demon represents the appropriation of humanity as a defense against inhuman factors.

That last bit also applies to Changeling, but in this case the actors are outsiders posing as humans rather than humans who became outsiders.

Yeah the more I play this out the more I see your points. Hmmmm. Did I just learn something from a discussion on the internet? I need to sit down.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

These are all good points and you're right, these games are exploring humanity as a theme, just from different perspectives. Changelings represent a return or reclamation of humanity, Promethian is the genesis of humanity (an initial transformation rather than the changeling's return to form) and Demon represents the appropriation of humanity as a defense against inhuman factors.

That last bit also applies to Changeling, but in this case the actors are outsiders posing as humans rather than humans who became outsiders.

Yeah the more I play this out the more I see your points. Hmmmm. Did I just learn something from a discussion on the internet? I need to sit down.

I'd agree with your point all three explore trauma and its fundamental relationship with what it means to be human from a different angle.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I think one salient difference between Demon and Changeling is that it's totally acceptable to play a Demon who honestly doesn't give a gently caress about being human. You can play a Demon who only does Demon things and knows just enough about human life to not blow their cover, whose endgame is a triumphant return to being a useful cog in the god-machine. Changelings who have that relationship with humanity usually don't make their way back from Arcadia.

In practice I think the vast majority of Demon PCs don't have that relationship with humanity, because that kind of character is most interesting as a foil, but it's a valid play style.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think one salient difference between Demon and Changeling is that it's totally acceptable to play a Demon who honestly doesn't give a gently caress about being human. You can play a Demon who only does Demon things and knows just enough about human life to not blow their cover, whose endgame is a triumphant return to being a useful cog in the god-machine. Changelings who have that relationship with humanity usually don't make their way back from Arcadia.

In practice I think the vast majority of Demon PCs don't have that relationship with humanity, because that kind of character is most interesting as a foil, but it's a valid play style.
My favorite PC type in Demon tends to still be only orthogonal to humanity, more interested in it as a curious, beloved thing that they don't really personally identify with, but wish to reprogram God to be less harmful towards.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Wife just woke up and told me about her dream where King James had a drone strike policy. How do I use this in a game? Can he have been a Seer of the Throne?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Xinder posted:

Wife just woke up and told me about her dream where King James had a drone strike policy. How do I use this in a game? Can he have been a Seer of the Throne?

There is a simultaneously very traditional but technologically modern Dead Dominion.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Considering the current state of the world, do you think "awaken the Yellowstone Caldera" is an option in the Garou Nation's arsenal?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Considering the current state of the world, do you think "awaken the Yellowstone Caldera" is an option in the Garou Nation's arsenal?

One of the Apocalypse scenarios had the Red Talons awaken a bunch of supervolcanoes around the world to wipe out humanity.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the Apocalypse scenarios had the Red Talons awaken a bunch of supervolcanoes around the world to wipe out humanity.

I really need to read Apocalypse.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Tribe Falls scenarios were written while on only the finest Peyote. Judging by the CoG and Wendigo ones.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's easily the best of the End of the World books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Probably only the Red Talons consider it seriously. There's a thing in Rage Across Egypt where absolutely none of the tribes think blowing up the Aswan Dam is a good idea... except for the Talons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I admire Werewolf's dedication to having a PC faction whose whole thing is that they're evil and really stupid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The best part is that they aren't really "evil" per say, it's just that their culture has demonized problem solving, empathy, and critical thinking skills to the point that they don't behave like wolves anymore, they behave like caricatures of evil predator wolves because that's how they think wolves are.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 24, 2019

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I admire Werewolf's dedication to having a PC faction whose whole thing is that they're evil and really stupid.

Isn't "Really Stupid" the common thing with all the Apocalypse tribes anyway? Like these dumb assholes wouldn't be in the spot their in if they weren't superpowered hammers dealing with every problem like a nail.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah as anti-industrial as they are woofs map fairly perfectly as a metaphor for the hubris of white capitalism. That's probably intentional? Either way it's hard to play a mixed breeds game without running into Historical Oppressor Syndrome.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Isn't "Really Stupid" the common thing with all the Apocalypse tribes anyway? Like these dumb assholes wouldn't be in the spot their in if they weren't superpowered hammers dealing with every problem like a nail.

Yeah and I honestly think it's really dumb and unnecessary. Like, the Garou Nation has enough conflict without a history of being trashfire dullards.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kurieg posted:

The Tribe Falls scenarios were written while on only the finest Peyote. Judging by the CoG and Wendigo ones.

Its been a while since I've read it, but I remember my takeaway was that they really really wanted every tribe to have a way to fall, and weren't going to let anything including story coherence get in the way of that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

The best part is that they aren't really "evil" per say, it's just that their culture has demonized problem solving, empathy, and critical thinking skills to the point that they don't behave like wolves anymore, they behave like caricatures of evil predator wolves because that's how they think wolves are.

You have to hand it to the tribe who (mostly) thinks sapience needs to be kicked right in the dick.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Kurieg posted:

Which is doubly hilarious because this is the tribe that only accepts members if they come from actual wolf stock. No humans allowed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

You have to hand it to the tribe who (mostly) thinks sapience needs to be kicked right in the dick.

It always amazes me that the Predator Kings have more nuance than the tribe they were based on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And they have a camp that's basically "Yeah we know that's not how wolves work, but good luck explaining that to the leadership, and they'd be even worse if we weren't here trying to mellow them out."

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

It always amazes me that the Predator Kings have more nuance than the tribe they were based on.
Hey, nothing wrong with being The Amish But With Spirit Friends when spirits are demonstrably real and strong and your friends

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

To be fair if I were a normal wolf who suddenly gained sapience when I matured into an adult, and I found out the world was the way it is in the World of Darkness (or the real world in 2019), I'd be pretty pissed off about my entire situation too

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Hey, nothing wrong with being The Amish But With Spirit Friends when spirits are demonstrably real and strong and your friends

No, that’s the Ivory Claws of Ohio.

The Predator Kings are the ones whose mandate is respect for the hunt and whose primary goal is to reject modernity and the ways of men in order to return the world to the primal state of pure predator and prey that characterized ancient Pangaea.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

No, that’s the Ivory Claws of Ohio.

The Predator Kings are the ones whose mandate is respect for the hunt and whose primary goal is to reject modernity and the ways of men in order to return the world to the primal state of pure predator and prey that characterized ancient Pangaea.
The Ivory Claws are more Mormons: Familyfamilyfamily eugenics ancestry dna lineage familyfamilyfamily

And yeah: rejecting modernity. Amish. It was also a joke dude.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

I think I liked it referred to as the 'ancient cycle of life and death,' but having them as boogeywolves who go after Forsaken that don't respect the Sacred Hunt is a nice hat for them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The Ivory Claws are more Mormons: Familyfamilyfamily eugenics ancestry dna lineage familyfamilyfamily

And yeah: rejecting modernity. Amish. It was also a joke dude.

Oh, no, you don't understand.

the Ohio Ivory Claws are literally Mennonites and Amish

e: like this is an actual local setting written up in the 2e core

e2: also I bring them up compulsively whenever possible because I think they own

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2019

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It was the Fire-Touched who infiltrated the Amish, corrupted some of the more extreme factions, then began poisoning wells and skirmishing with Forsaken. The Ivory Claws stepped in when things got so bad that they thought all werewolves might be driven out of the area (and, later, when the government came calling to force the draft) but otherwise seem to be more focused on their bloodline and aren't called out as Amish or Mennonites.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Oh, hell yeah then.

I'm still sad the only mixed-splat game I ever played in only went like 2 sessions, playing some real Howling Commandos poo poo as a Predator King ripping open tanks in WW2 because the war was so bad for the spiritual ecosystem of Europe.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, Orpheus really is my favorite gameline from cWOD.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I just got a big ole box full of old Werewolf and Kindred of the East splatbooks, is anyone looking for anything in particular? There's a hardbound Wraith book that I think I'm going to hang onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I could use most of Werewolf and Resplendent Cranes.