Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I unlocked GNB and played around with it a bit and it doesn’t seem that imposing at all and also it’s basically a dps class?

Like I didn’t realize how few defensive cooldowns tanks really have, almost all of it is attack combos

They cut the number of CDs down a fair bit. Your main long duration defensive cooldowns (Rampart, Arms' Length, Nebula, Camouflage, Aurora) are meant to be rotated through as you go between dungeon packs, or during bosses where additional mitigation is needed (such as during an add phase). Every tank also has a tankbuster soak CD (Heart of Stone is GNB's), which has a short cooldown/short duration, and is meant to absorb large single action hits from bosses ('tankbusters'). Tankbuster soaks can be used during dungeon packs as well; I generally use them as filler to either ride out the last bit of a pull until enough mobs have died to make further CDs unnecessary, or as a bridge between each CD so that I always have some sort of damage mitigation running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think that's a terribly accurate take, yes you gained your reputation through your deeds but your deeds were largely possible because of your divine (and other) gifts. When the Ultima Weapon uses Ultima, it's only due to the Blessing of Light that we are able to survive when it literally destroys the Praetorium all around us. So they went in pretty hard with that from the start. And we're the slayer of primals specifically because the Echo shields us from being tempered.

That's not really as big a thing, though, because the Echo isn't a unique Chosen One thing, other people are confirmed to have it. Even when it's first talked about, before NPCs with the Echo are established like Minfilia and Arenvald, it's still only something that elicits an 'oh, neat' from people. It's relatively rare, but not super special.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

homeless snail posted:

In the glamour chest it doesn't, but it will warn you if you try to flush an item that's in a set

Good to know thanks! The glamour chest UI gives me a headache.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Blockhouse posted:

Is the level 60 BLM duty the one where you'll get your rear end blown out if you forget Sleep exists?

Level 60 is the honorable explosion duel vs Shatotto. No sleep shenanigans but it's pretty demanding on your ability to press explosion: there's aoes that inflict paralyze, add spawners to kill, a relatively tight enrage cast, etc.

Stormblood was a good expansion for honorable explosion duels between that and Sadu Heavenflame.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The Secret World/Secret World Legends gets some decent mileage out of you playing as a straight-up nobody who just happens to be sent on to things that end up a big deal. You're nobody special, just lucky enough to turn up to those things. It helps that they allude vaguely to other stuff going on around the world, to suggest you aren't witness to every important event, which is admittedly easier in a game set on Earth. If they mention something happening in Antarctica you immediately know the score, you don't need extra story information.

And honestly, I like that a lot of XIV doesn't build you up to be anybody special outside of the deeds you actually do in-game; you're called the Warrior of Light, but that's mostly got its origins from Cid trying to describe a dream he had, you're not actually anybody special. It's actually something that I don't like Shadowbringers did, trying to imply you to be someone important in a past life. I don't like being preternaturally special, I like having done some big poo poo and THAT'S my thing.

I think one of the reasons we're introduced to other warriors of light during the story is to hammer home that yeah, we have this special tool kit and this special soul but we're also putting it to its full use. Others have had similar advantages but either didn't take advantage of them or we're unable to. We're blessed but we also take full advantage of our blessings and another person who didn't have the same drive and determination would of failed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

elusive jump is great actually. It's a gap closer that you don't lose dps by saving
It never occurred to me to use it to jump into battle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

That's not really as big a thing, though, because the Echo isn't a unique Chosen One thing, other people are confirmed to have it. Even when it's first talked about, before NPCs with the Echo are established like Minfilia and Arenvald, it's still only something that elicits an 'oh, neat' from people. It's relatively rare, but not super special.

It's rare, and powerful enough that it puts us on a tier above the waves and waves of people they'd normally throw at primals to defeat them. Just having a squad of people with the Echo make the Brannigan maneuver unnecessary.

Plus, the blessing of light, which has directly lead to victory over Ultima / Lahabrea, and Hades.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Finding out that in Japanese they pronounce the ShB last boss as Hah Dess made me very happy.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

And honestly, I like that a lot of XIV doesn't build you up to be anybody special outside of the deeds you actually do in-game; you're called the Warrior of Light, but that's mostly got its origins from Cid trying to describe a dream he had, you're not actually anybody special. It's actually something that I don't like Shadowbringers did, trying to imply you to be someone important in a past life. I don't like being preternaturally special, I like having done some big poo poo and THAT'S my thing.

i am the complete opposite, i love this kind of poo poo and the mystery of it just compounds upon the awesomeness of the already awesome ShB story.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kerrzhe posted:

i am the complete opposite, i love this kind of poo poo and the mystery of it just compounds upon the awesomeness of the already awesome ShB story.
:same:

I love it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SettingSun posted:

I 100% agree with this. ShB's story is great, the best yet even, but this implication really casts a dark shadow on it for me. I hope they expound upon this in a satisfying way in the post-MSQ quests.

They may have already laid the foundation for a way to have this not railroad your origin story. If we literally are a part of the soul of Venat or some other ancient Amaurotian ghost, we may get a Minfilia moment where the ghost acknowledges that the WoL is their own person despite sharing soul bits and sends them off to be the best fist-to-palm puncher they can be. At least, that would be the simple way to do it.

The more complicated way would be the ghost tries to take over and we have to punch it into submission. Either way I think they're going to angle towards the ancient spooky giant being subsumed into the WoL at some point rather than saying "this is who you are now, gently caress your head canon."

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as I didn't get the implication that being rejoined with this individual makes us more powerful or destined or somesuch--others are able to commune with Hydaelyn and can possess the Echo. If those things don't bother you I doubt this plays out much differently. All we know about the individual we're possibly rejoined with was that they were high-ranking in Amaurot and known to Emet-Selch.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yeah i think rather than saying "you were this guy" it's more saying "this guy is you"

whatever kind of person you want to roleplay as, that's the kind of person your amaurotine precursor was

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It also feels important that this is most likely happening to everyone on the source. Everyone on the source is having their fragmented soul rejoin as shards get rejoined with the source. There is also nothing to imply that the high ranking Amaurotian who originally possessed our soul was special in any way outside of their deeds. Their position on the council was something they earned, they made the difficult choice to walk away, they possibly summoned Hydalan in an attempt to save their people. None of those things required them being more special then everyone around them, it just required them to be a good person with a strong will. The story really seems to drive home that yeah, we have special abilities but so do a lot of other people and the thing that differentiates the WoL is the kind of person they choose to be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

yeah i think rather than saying "you were this guy" it's more saying "this guy is you"

whatever kind of person you want to roleplay as, that's the kind of person your amaurotine precursor was

Yeah that's probably how they're going to handle it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

the thing that differentiates the WoL is the kind of person they choose to be.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:haibrow:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gumball Gumption posted:

It also feels important that this is most likely happening to everyone on the source. Everyone on the source is having their fragmented soul rejoin as shards get rejoined with the source.

This is probably likely, but I feel that the majority of people are fragmented non-Amaurot descendants. There are probably a handful of people that come from shattered Amaurot souls, but the bulk of life on the source were probably descended from the "lesser" creatures of the star that were meant to be sacrificed. Even rejoined, I think the WoL will stand out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

Yeah, and Emet makes a point of saying that even the 11 of the 14 councilpeople that were sundered don't have any recollection of what that kind of world was like. Until I guess they're elevated back to their office? idk

If that's the kind of plot were going with though, you can read a lot of parallels into Yotsuyu's story, in a way that almost feels like foreshadowing. After she became Tsuyu, Gosetsu tried and Hien allowed her to live out a new innocent life free from the consequences of something she couldn't remember or comprehend. Yotsuyu's brother occupied a similar role to Emet's, trying to return her to her former position.

For all we know, if that's what actually what's happening, we could be carved out of the spirit of Amaurotine Hitler, but within the moral framework of this story laid out so far that wouldn't matter because the WoL themselves constitutes their own person no matter the nature of their soul.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've always had Elusive Jump on my bar for style points. Dumb mobility options when sprinting will do is my jam.

youre not a true dragoon unless you 180 no-scope elusive jump everywhere (its really good in pvp)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't play Summoner, so can someone please explain to me how this one was doing 51 DPS on Limitless Blue? That's not a typo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arist posted:

I don't play Summoner, so can someone please explain to me how this one was doing 51 DPS on Limitless Blue? That's not a typo.

not pressing buttons

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arist posted:

Probably some combination of not pressing buttons, trying to attack Bismarck's core while standing on the island, and being face down dead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It also feels important that this is most likely happening to everyone on the source. Everyone on the source is having their fragmented soul rejoin as shards get rejoined with the source. There is also nothing to imply that the high ranking Amaurotian who originally possessed our soul was special in any way outside of their deeds. Their position on the council was something they earned, they made the difficult choice to walk away, they possibly summoned Hydalan in an attempt to save their people. None of those things required them being more special then everyone around them, it just required them to be a good person with a strong will. The story really seems to drive home that yeah, we have special abilities but so do a lot of other people and the thing that differentiates the WoL is the kind of person they choose to be.

My problem isn't that the unsundered WoL was magically super special in their own right, my problem is that it gives us a reputation, importance and previous deeds that aren't ours. I like that we've seen and performed, first-hand, everything that makes our Warrior of Light worth caring about. But now suddenly, in some vague and metaphysical way, we've been given some other history and importance that we didn't earn. For a game that's so good at having you build your own legend, brick by brick, I feel that's a misstep.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As far as anybody who cares is concerned, the Warrior of Light is the Warrior of Light.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cleretic posted:

My problem isn't that the unsundered WoL was magically super special in their own right, my problem is that it gives us a reputation, importance and previous deeds that aren't ours. I like that we've seen and performed, first-hand, everything that makes our Warrior of Light worth caring about. But now suddenly, in some vague and metaphysical way, we've been given some other history and importance that we didn't earn. For a game that's so good at having you build your own legend, brick by brick, I feel that's a misstep.

I don't see the issue. You're also connected to Ardbert the exact same way but you're completely different people. That person from Amaurot has nothing to do with you other than you share a soul apparently.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Gotcha. I think I need to see more of the story play out before I'd really agree. They could go one way where all of that becomes really important and becomes a focus of the WoL but they could also go with the idea that none of the really matters. That none of it is what makes you special or you. It flat out needs to be developed more.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think everyone is forgetting that in this cosmology, souls constantly get recycled in and out of the lifestream. You are no more that original Amaurotian than you are the previous denizen of the Source who had your soul before dying and having it recycled into your body. There may be hints of that person that carry through, but you are still your own person.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

quantifying how many atoms in my body were formerly in a dinosaur's body to measure my dinosaur quotient

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really, I think the dissatisfaction comes from the explanation that a lot of what makes the WoL special was predetermined by (presumably) being Hydaelyn's Ascian creator rather than the result of the WoL's deeds and actions in this life, which is a valid thematic complaint, if the latter was what caused one to become invested in the WoL's story. It doesn't help that the explanation is there at all, really. Leaving it a mystery at least kept the WoL's origins out of sight and out of mind even if it was clear that something was extremely Not Normal in that regard.

I'm just extremely hype about it because it confirms a lot of fan theories that were being tossed around while at the same time turning them on their heads, and we also got a big chunk of pathos along with the reveal.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 24, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think the reason I'm especially concerned about this is that it's Emet-Selch who connects those dots, and I don't expect them to throw away anything that came from Emet-Selch. If it was literally any other one single person in the game I'd be less concerned because they're likely to just let it stay as a weird thing they said (like Cid calling you the WoL), but because everything Emet says is true I'm guessing this is going to come back and be a Big Deal and the dynamic I liked from the entire game up to this point is gonna go away.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kerrzhe posted:

This. Basically while I think the ideas people have about who their WoL is and where they came from or whatever are cool, I don't want Square to stop telling this long cosmic story full of rich lore and history because of them. Ultimately I think people are being a little reactionary toward this revelation because we still have a lot of elaboration to go, but that's where I am at this moment. All this sundered soul stuff is neat. Gimme more. Then stick weird minutiae in a $60 book so I can buy that too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cranking up the vibrance gave the Sahagin area an extremely :catdrugs: vibe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SonicRulez posted:

This. Basically while I think the ideas people have about who their WoL is and where they came from or whatever are cool, I don't want Square to stop telling this long cosmic story full of rich lore and history because of them. Ultimately I think people are being a little reactionary toward this revelation because we still have a lot of elaboration to go, but that's where I am at this moment. All this sundered soul stuff is neat. Gimme more. Then stick weird minutiae in a $60 book so I can buy that too.
I think it comes down to ideology. I would certainly hesitate to call it "wrong" but I think there are a fair number of people who explicitly privilege doing things without being 'special' in whatever way is quantified in a particular story, and consider that to be a greater success or somehow easier to identify with. The Exarch and Minfilia matched our contributions to the First, and we would have become a mega-Sin Eater without Ardbert's heroism. We may be the crux of things but someone has to be. The entire lead-up to Mt. Gulg showed that the people of the First are no stupider or weaker than the people of the Source. Emet-Selch mistakes mana pool for worth.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean we already had a whole arc where Midgardsomr removed Hydalyn's blessing and we showed who we were without it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nessus posted:

I think it comes down to ideology. I would certainly hesitate to call it "wrong" but I think there are a fair number of people who explicitly privilege doing things without being 'special' in whatever way is quantified in a particular story, and consider that to be a greater success or somehow easier to identify with. The Exarch and Minfilia matched our contributions to the First, and we would have become a mega-Sin Eater without Ardbert's heroism. We may be the crux of things but someone has to be. The entire lead-up to Mt. Gulg showed that the people of the First are no stupider or weaker than the people of the Source. Emet-Selch mistakes mana pool for worth.

The people of the First are absolutely weaker: after the Scions arrive they immediately become the most powerful and important people in the world in a year or two. Why do you think we had to solve all their problems for them?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Clarste posted:

The people of the First are absolutely weaker: after the Scions arrive they immediately become the most powerful and important people in the world in a year or two. Why do you think we had to solve all their problems for them?

That doesn't follow though. Ran'jit is ripshit powerful and he's from the First. The Scions do not appear to be meaningfully stronger than anyone in the First, they're important because they have specialized knowledge and because the First is an absolutely shattered world.

The Warrior of Light him/herself is the only person noticeably overpowered compared to the people of the First and that's just as true back on Source.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That happened on the source too though, they're just really smart and tough + you're there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Clarste posted:

Lyna hangs tough with us. The Warriors of Darkness seemed to be actively better at using the Echo than we were and they were all 'sundered'. While the Exarch is from the Source his main contribution is the buckets of Allagan technology in his basement. Minfilia had been merged with Hyadalaen. Feo Ul, and potentially all other pixies, are immediately able to go gently caress around on the Source once they know how to get there.