Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

And its weird Julie danced around the racial aspect of the 3 brown people sitting next to her but no one actually said the words.
David wanted to say it... but showed incredible restraint.
Now, the one on ones Julie is going to have online might tell a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there was no reason for Julie to ask it if she didn't want to talk about it. But everyone was just holding back and not wanting to drop that bomb. Given how long they've been biting their tongues its not hard to imagine why.

In post show interviews I imagine some interviewer will be more direct and they might get more comfortable.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The only eviction I could argue was Kemi's being based on race and I'm not saying it was but the way that week went it's very easy to connect the dots to get to that hypothesis.
David was bounced solely on Jackson's decision of him being perceived as dangerous to his game and had David made it back in he was 100% correct from David's own DRs.
Ovi was caught in the middle of a Plan B scenario as he was genuinely fairly liked but was in the "better him than me" rationale.

They all just so happen to be people of color but this majority group are targeting age (Cliff) and gender (Jess/Nicole/Kat) without abandon as well.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 19, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Racism doesn't have to be the direct primary motivator to have an impact. Why did Jackson put 3 POC and the old guy up on Day 1? Why was Jackson and Co so obsessed about how scary David was, compared him to a sexual predator and an animal, and speculated that he spent time in prison? Why did Jackson scream "go back to Mexico"? Why did Jack imitate him as a monkey and like to make animal noises around them? Why was Ovi labeled a pervert and predator by this group? Why did Jack call him a "brown flame" and then immediately say he shouldn't have said that on camera? Why was it so easy for the entire house to just disregard Ovi as insignificant in Week 1? Why was Jack so obsessed with Kemi and every thing she did?

There's so many examples like this from the season. No, there was no Aaryn here. There was no one being overtly, openly racist to such a degree that its impossible to deny what they are. And no, I don't think Jackson walked into the house and said "I want to get rid of the brown people." He's an arrogant rear end in a top hat who picked on the people who he thought were weak and who threatened him. But WHY did he see those people as weak or threatening? THAT's what racism is.

Racism isn't just hooded guys burning crosses. Its twisted thoughts and ideas that invade people's worldviews and infect the way they see other people in ways they probably don't even recognize. And its super suspicious the way BB21 has gone and the short of poo poo that has been said and done in that house.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Well the twist was a flop, and the cast is awful. For the second year running they threw in these special powers where we will likely only see 1 of 3 used. Cliff may have been an underwhelming choice to come back, but they didn’t even give the returning HG immunity for a week, which would have likely resulted in the returnee being voted straight back out the next week (if H8tful didn’t choose this week to implode).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

https://twitter.com/sweetwelloff/st...036665642430464

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

STAC Goat posted:

No, there was no Aaryn here.

I started watching Big Brother again at 14 (I stopped watching during the Dick season), and 15 is the only one I couldn't finish.

My memory is that it was more than just Aaryn. I remember Amanda/McRae, but I am not sure if it's just because they were annoying rather than racist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GM was very racist too. Spencer, Amanda, and Andy said a lot of vulgar stuff but usually not racism. There were a few random things here and there from like Kaitlyn, McRae, and Jeremy.

My theory of Big Brother/human behavior is that big personalities like Aaryn and house majorities establish the social order and "rules". Aaryn was the head of the cool kid majority for the first 3 weeks in the house and created an atmosphere that made other HGs feel more comfortable saying poo poo they never would have in another setting. That's not me excusing them but its basic "group think" and "mob mentality." When everyone else is doing something you feel more comfortable doing it yourself. You may even feel pressure to do it or at least stay quiet about it to fit in. Its why the only people speaking out against the racism were the outcasts.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Skimmed the thread. I'm not the only one that noticed this show is racist as gently caress. I'm sure the next target will be the one remaining not white person

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like when you’ve burned someone twice, stop trying to bullshit them and just own it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Max posted:

I feel like when you’ve burned someone twice, stop trying to bullshit them and just own it.

That's like Gr8ful's whole thing. gently caress people over and then instead of owning it get mad and gaslight them that they were the ones who did wrong. They've been doing it all game and they'll keep doing it when they're out of the house and getting called on their poo poo.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

That was an interesting episode. Glad there is some push back to the 6.

I just wish they wouldn't do the POV competition before Sunday's episode, because I am so tempted to spoil it for myself.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If Cliff raw dogs Aguaman... gottdam

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its really telling about this cast that that comp was basically "count in single digits" and half of them flat out got it wrong. Congrats, Jack. You couldn't count to 5 fast enough so you're on the block.

Also, why does Jackson/Michie speak almost exclusively in poorly used catchphrases and sayings? Am I the only one unnerved by that?

^burtle posted:

If Cliff raw dogs Aguaman... gottdam

I feel like BB let him shave just so they could stop making that joke now that we all know he's an rear end in a top hat.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I think its really telling about this cast that that comp was basically "count in single digits" and half of them flat out got it wrong. Congrats, Jack. You couldn't count to 5 fast enough so you're on the block.

Also, why does Jackson/Michie speak almost exclusively in poorly used catchphrases and sayings? Am I the only one unnerved by that?

I feel like BB let him shave just so they could stop making that joke now that we all know he's an rear end in a top hat.

I’m fairly certain Michie is performing for the camera 24/7 and talks in metaphors in the hopes he gets airtime.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have so many thoughts about this episode.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My thought is that when they showed Anna's diary room there, it made me realize why they don't show her more on TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They can't show more Ana because all she does is whine all entitled and threaten to cut off people's dicks if they don't make it easy for the 6. Its just a brattier Angela.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 25, 2019

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

They can't show more Ana because all she does is whine all entitled and threaten to cut off people's dicks if they don't make it easy for the 6.

That's a bad thing?

I wish they didn't put in the opener that there's an argument about whether the Diamond Power of Veto being used. Kinda killed the suspense of the reveal of the winner.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mmm

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Christie would be the worst person to be in an alliance with.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cliff is a loving idiot

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Welcome to the last three days of discourse.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, uh, maybe people realize they should vote out Jack?

If the 3 from the 4 stay strong, Nick, and Sam could possibly tie 5 of the 6, if I am doing the math right. I may be forgetting someone.

e: but yes, Cliff is dumb. Needed to be more cutthroat.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

CLIFF WHY

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just disappointed because Cliff knew he was taking a risk and he knew even if it paid off he'd be a target to the remaining 6. But he was fresh off being blindsided and evicted by the 6 and winning 2 comps in a row so he had the nerve to say "screw it" and play big. But as the week went on I guess that resolve just died and he became more scared about "surviving" than making a splash.

I've never been in the situation so I can't totally judge but I'd like to believe I'd rather go out 5th making a huge splash that fans remember forever than go out 10th as a pawn floater. If Cliff had backdoored Christie or another 6er we'd put that poo poo up as one of the biggest moments in BB history.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This season of Big Brother they really love voting off the non-white people

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

"We're gonna lose the game."

Yep.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I feel like this is Big Brother's attempt to add some sort of intrigue to the vote tonight. Bella is probably going home. She burned too many bridges, unfortunately.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sue E Hogg and Porky Hogg

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sue E Hogg and Porky Hogg

My father is Mr. Hogg, please just call me Porky.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This was the biggest letdown.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

No more battle back I guess

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Possible for jury battleback, but definitely done for pre-jury.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Max posted:

Possible for jury battleback, but definitely done for pre-jury.

I thought Bella was jury for some dumb reason

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ugh, an endurance comp. Now I have to wait for Sunday!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jess is the most useless Big Brother player I’ve ever seen

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Well no Nicole hoh right at the end there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The awkwardness of Nick weeping in Sam's arms while everyone else stand around awkwardly kind of summed up the house atmosphere.

I'm sad Bella kept it classy and didn't just out what a terrible person Christie is. But I'm glad she found some peace and was mature enough to own that she hosed up the Nicole situation. Not shown on TV but she gave Nicole a very nice, lengthy apology.

And I'm glad Sam voted to keep her. I love the players who tell the house to go gently caress themselves when they're like "you better vote out your close friend even though its totally meaningless."

I have no hope for the HOH or season. Cliff killed that. I didn't even watch live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I am not sure what Cliff's end game is. On one hand, he was telling the 4 to stick together against the 6. On the other, he is making a deal with the 6, and hoping they'll be nice enough to keep him around a few more weeks. I guess I realize that Bella burned too many bridges, but it's disheartening to see that no one else saw Jack as the bigger threat.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jess is the most useless Big Brother player I’ve ever seen

How soon we forget Victoria.