Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Password managers that make you copy and paste by hand or work by blindly typing into any window with a plausible title are completely retarded, fail to protect users from phishing sites, and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone. Please don't use them or recommend them to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rufus Ping posted:

Password managers that make you copy and paste by hand or work by blindly typing into any window with a plausible title are completely retarded, fail to protect users from phishing sites, and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone. Please don't use them or recommend them to people

Your suggestion then?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

1password

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

pass, the standard password manager: completely [ableist slur]

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ozymandOS posted:

pass, the standard password manager: completely [ableist slur]

Yes. pass, the "standard password manager" which relies on the user to copy and paste passwords into what may or may not even be a genuine website, is indeed a completely retarded suggestion for how to store your website logins

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you are using KeePass, just use the Kee browser plugin (Firefox and Chrome versions available) and avoid auto-type.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Subjunctive posted:

True in all aspects.

I gave my boss the extension security rundown and he agreed. He also then asked what extensions we should whitelist including password managers. I have to find a way of generating a report of what extensions users have on their Chrome browsers on company-owned laptops but not necessarily logged in to company-owned g suite accounts with them. Just to get an idea of what we're possibly going to break or what we have to whitelist, to go into company-wide comms about the whole initiative.

He also asked me to recommend 2 or 3 password managers that we will in turn recommend to users after he said "we probably need to whitelist people's lastpass extensions" and I said "oh the internet told me lastpass sucks!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rufus Ping posted:

Yes. pass, the "standard password manager" which relies on the user to copy and paste passwords into what may or may not even be a genuine website, is indeed a completely retarded suggestion for how to store your website logins

My wallet requires me to manually hand my cash over if I want to pay for something, and it doesn't even prevent me from handing my cash to completely the wrong person. That must mean it's useless, and I'm an idiot for continuing to keep my money in it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

My wallet requires me to manually hand my cash over if I want to pay for something, and it doesn't even prevent me from handing my cash to completely the wrong person. That must mean it's useless, and I'm an idiot for continuing to keep my money in it.

If there were a new magic type of money which could be securely teleported to its intended destination without being susceptible to being snatched by a third party, and also prevented people falling for financial scams involving impersonation, then this analogy might begin to make sense

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Potato Salad posted:

Someone who understands telco: what do?

Rephrased: does shaken/stir actually work

The short version is that STIR/SHAKEN allows telephone providers to sign call setup traffic and either confirm that the caller is authorized to

A. The user making the call is the one associated with this number. This is for direct lines to telcos or how a PBX would sign its own outbound traffic.
B. The trunk the call is coming from is authorized to use this number, but we have no idea who's actually making the call. This is for PBXes and the like.
C. The call is coming from a trusted gateway, but we're not sure beyond that.

Presumably to start off it'll be presented with some kind of "verified" tag when a call is properly signed, but the hope would be that eventually the major telcos have it deployed widely enough that we can make a shift similar to the trajectory of HTTPS where we go from having it being considered "Secure" to that being the normal state and not having it becoming "Insecure".

Supposedly this is a decent intro talk about it, I haven't watched yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25a3I0gWp8

I haven't actually implemented it yet, I'm not sure if it'll even be relevant at my level or if it's for those one level above me, but the concept seems sound. I think if it's sufficiently widely deployed it can largely solve this problem.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

sadus posted:

Control V it will autotype both username and password

I've hit control V, had someone message me on skype while logging into a site and it sent my username and password to them. I never use control v anymore.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gourdcaptain posted:

Frustratingly, one of them is the bank I use.

Don't expect them to ever get it right.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Rufus Ping posted:

If there were a new magic type of money which could be securely teleported to its intended destination without being susceptible to being snatched by a third party, and also prevented people falling for financial scams involving impersonation, then this analogy might begin to make sense

Monero (XMR) and being smart about who you're dealing with online?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fyallm posted:

I've hit control V, had someone message me on skype while logging into a site and it sent my username and password to them. I never use control v anymore.
Joke's on you for using any app that dares steal focus. TBH it should be an OS level permission defaulting to "gently caress you"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

evil_bunnY posted:

Joke's on you for using any app that dares steal focus. TBH it should be an OS level permission defaulting to "gently caress you"

Literally: does this exist in W10 and if so where?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wolrah posted:

The short version is that STIR/SHAKEN allows telephone providers to sign call setup traffic and either confirm that the caller is authorized to

A. The user making the call is the one associated with this number. This is for direct lines to telcos or how a PBX would sign its own outbound traffic.
B. The trunk the call is coming from is authorized to use this number, but we have no idea who's actually making the call. This is for PBXes and the like.
C. The call is coming from a trusted gateway, but we're not sure beyond that.

Presumably to start off it'll be presented with some kind of "verified" tag when a call is properly signed, but the hope would be that eventually the major telcos have it deployed widely enough that we can make a shift similar to the trajectory of HTTPS where we go from having it being considered "Secure" to that being the normal state and not having it becoming "Insecure".

Supposedly this is a decent intro talk about it, I haven't watched yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25a3I0gWp8

I haven't actually implemented it yet, I'm not sure if it'll even be relevant at my level or if it's for those one level above me, but the concept seems sound. I think if it's sufficiently widely deployed it can largely solve this problem.

Sounds like SPF for phone numbers to me

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
My VoIP provider many years ago didn’t set my ANI up correctly and thus for years I could dial overseas and not get billed for the calls. I did a lot of wardialing back then.

I have little faith in telcos getting this right.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Literally: does this exist in W10 and if so where?
Of course not. The fact that loving skype of all things does it should tell you all you need.

Maybe you can hack it like this?

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1749029-program-to-prevent-any-windows-window-from-taking-precedence-focus

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 25, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So was that equifax "was my info stolen in the hack?" Website hacked yet?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cr0y posted:

So was that equifax "was my info stolen in the hack?" Website hacked yet?

Was that the one run by Equifax where you had to waive rights in order to check? And that also had a bad cert IIRC?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Was that the one run by Equifax where you had to waive rights in order to check? And that also had a bad cert IIRC?

This was one that went up yesterday to see if you qualify for class action money

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

evil_bunnY posted:

I've wondered for quite a while why it's still a thing or why it ever was. I haven't yet come up with a single case where having a different application be able to pop up and steal focus from what you're currently interacting with is the best way to achieve something. I definitely agree that at minimum it should be a permission-gated thing that defaults to no, but I'd rather it just not be a thing at all.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Sounds like SPF for phone numbers to me
I'd compare it more to DKIM, but with a CA instead of putting public keys in DNS.

Lain Iwakura posted:

My VoIP provider many years ago didn’t set my ANI up correctly and thus for years I could dial overseas and not get billed for the calls. I did a lot of wardialing back then.

I have little faith in telcos getting this right.
That is of course the tricky part, as we've seen with basically the same problem in the internet world and how many ISPs continue to allow their customers to send whatever bullshit they want even though BCP38 laid out how to do it right almost 20 years ago. It may never happen without a mandate, either from the government or from a telco sufficiently large to be able to dictate terms. That said, unlike IP spoofing, basically everyone with a phone number has had direct experience with spoofed robocalls at this point. There's a lot more consumer demand for a solution, and I could certainly see people switching providers over better blocking features.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I swear my parents knew the fundamentals of computer operation in the early 2000s, but either they lost it along the way or have just grown incapable of transposing the knowledge they do have into a different, but closely parallel context...
Dealt with this with my parents. My dad fricking taught CS from the 1960s on. Basically, there's a limit to how many times developers can change the layout on the dashboard before users look at the flamingo-shaped steering wheel and wave their hands in despair. It' a genuine accessibility challenge -- older people do have trouble assimilating change at some point, and having MacOS go "hahaha not really supporting Safari any more" is a nightmare.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Rufus Ping posted:

how exactly do you want people to enter passwords

autotype is bad, but given that most password manager exploits have been exploiting the browser plugins as opposed to the safe itself, and the frequency with which field names change (or are dynamically generated), copy-paste seems like as good a method as any

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 25, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

Look, all I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with simple, straightforward tools. (Do one thing and do it well, now where have I heard that before...) Never mind that 1Password doesn't have plugins for many places passwords need to go. Yes, most passwords do go into a web browser these days, but what about credentials for veracrypt archives, or virtualbox VMs, or ssh connections in a terminal, or LUKS volumes, or openvpn tunnels? I use all of these frequently.

I'm perfectly happy using nice simple KeePassX and seeing to the security arrangements myself, rather than farming it out to a subscription service.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wyoak posted:

how exactly do you want people to enter passwords

browser extension

wyoak posted:

autotype is bad, but given that most password manager exploits have been exploiting the browser plugins as opposed to the safe itself,

yes the quality of browser extensions varies hugely and is the obvious place to attack. this is why i recommend 1password, who are competent, have a good track record of avoiding such problems, and who make their own browser extensions rather than requiring the use of third party products. this is not true of other well known password managers

wyoak posted:

and the frequency with which field names change (or are dynamically generated), copy-paste seems like as good a method as any

1password is generally very good at identifying the correct fields, and is not defeated by mere changes of name

Powered Descent posted:

Look, all I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with simple, straightforward tools. (Do one thing and do it well, now where have I heard that before...)

the "one thing" is "log me into this website using the appropriate saved creds", and "do it well" ought to include things like "without requiring the user to copy and paste from one app to another when this is avoidable" and "if a side effect is that the user can't accidentally get phished, that sounds like a good idea". snarkily quoting the unix philosophy doesn't make any sense here

Powered Descent posted:

Never mind that 1Password doesn't have plugins for many places passwords need to go. Yes, most passwords do go into a web browser these days, but what about credentials for veracrypt archives, or virtualbox VMs, or ssh connections in a terminal, or LUKS volumes, or openvpn tunnels? I use all of these frequently.

that's fine. they haven't removed the copy button. you are welcome to keep using it for non-browser logins

Powered Descent posted:

I'm perfectly happy using nice simple KeePassX and seeing to the security arrangements myself, rather than farming it out to a subscription service.

go ahead. the move to a hosted saas model is a legit complaint and one i argued against for years on these very forums. i used to handle the backup and cross-device sync of my password db myself. but it's irresponsible to recommend this to users without your level of expertise. it's like the goon stereotype of the early 2000s who installs linux on his grandfather's computer because he doesn't recognise that people's circumstances, requirements, and level of understanding are different

apropos man posted:

Monero (XMR) and being smart about who you're dealing with online?

no - "being smart about who you're dealing with online" is precisely the element of human error which should be minimised. monero does not fulfill the requirements of the mythical currency in my post

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wolrah posted:

I've wondered for quite a while why it's still a thing or why it ever was. I haven't yet come up with a single case where having a different application be able to pop up and steal focus from what you're currently interacting with is the best way to achieve something. I definitely agree that at minimum it should be a permission-gated thing that defaults to no, but I'd rather it just not be a thing at all.
Apparently they were worried about apps not getting focus on startup. How about, if your disaster of a program takes 45s to start, you don't loving get focus period.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wolrah posted:

While we're asking for impossible Windows features, why is it, in the Year Of Our Lord 2019, in the age of at-least-1080p displays, Microsoft cannot make loving properties sheets larger than a postage stamp, or resizable at all?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

fyallm posted:

I've tried mitigating this issue by configuring autotype to only type the password without enter. I can type the username myself or the browser can remember it. Another configuration that I need is a 200 ms typing delay, otherwise characters start dropping when you try to autotype them through a VirtualBox console and couple RDP sessions. Can you imagine how frustrating it is watching KeePass two finger type the password knowing you could type it faster yourself.

In my opinion, copy-pasting passwords should be completely forbidden. The danger of autotyping in a wrong window is minimal compared to where copied password can end up. If you must copy it make sure you don't have any RDP sessions or virtual machine consoles open. I learned my lesson when I tried to paste a string inside a Lubuntu virtual machine and instead of the string I wanted, I got a string that I had copied the previous night on my home computer. That string had travelled through a RDP session to Win7 virtual machine, from there over the VirtualBox console, that had been showing the Windows lock screen the whole time, to the Linux host computer and from there to the Lubuntu virtual machine. After that I disabled clipboard on quite a few of my VirtualBox machines.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
There's an option in Keepass to cancel auto-type if the target changes:

[e] I've been using Keepass for over a decade, and literally my only grumble so far is that I had to tick the 'make this look nice on high-res displays' thing in the application properties after upgrading to a 4k display

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 25, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Lolz...

A few weeks ago I posted about our joke of an alarm system company sending our information to someone without verification..

I called to make a small change to our call list. All I did was say my name and the company; that was all that was needed. I made changes to our call list with no zero verification at all.

Just.... wow....

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

While we're asking for impossible Windows features, why is it, in the Year Of Our Lord 2019, in the age of at-least-1080p displays, Microsoft cannot make loving properties sheets larger than a postage stamp, or resizable at all?

My complaint isn't even a Windows thing, my Ubuntu laptop is just as bad about it. I don't recall if OS X also had it.

As for your complaint, Microsoft is slowly updating all the legacy UI elements that have been around since Windows 9x (or occasionally prior like that one font control panel), but they sure are taking their own sweet time with little obvious rhyme or reason.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

but it's irresponsible to recommend this to users without your level of expertise. it's like the goon stereotype of the early 2000s who installs linux on his grandfather's computer because he doesn't recognise that people's circumstances, requirements, and level of understanding are different

That's reasonable (though still arguable). But it's a very different position than:

Rufus Ping posted:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

That's reasonable (though still arguable). But it's a very different position than:
those are consistent statements, i would suggest learning than arguing from your flawed perspective

a password manager that auto-fills without context is a security risk, and worse misleads the user. auto-submit is far more dangerous

the point of a password manager is to shift the technical burden of managing passwords and authenticating where those passwords go

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

The only difference is that I've given up on you and am instead appealing to you not to hurt other people. I still think it's moronic

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

auto-submit is far more dangerous

Sure am glad pages can't read form fields or key presses till the submit button is clicked,

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah i was avoiding mentioning that tiny loophole in the auto-submit security design, clouds the argument a bit

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rufus Ping posted:

Sure am glad pages can't read form fields or key presses till the submit button is clicked,

Preach. It really bothers me the Web 2.0 javascriptEngine world we live in today has javascript security take the form of either

a) make sure it is coming from a trusted location but
b) lol, it's just easier to put a minimized, obfuscated version of the same JS on the server itself and requires deobfuscation and tracking names to make sure it ain't doing one of the million insidious things JS allows you to do.

Not even just JS either, CSS, weird HTML tags too ..

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
I use keypass and stumbled into this thread on a whim and saw the last few posts. I'm generally not going to recommend keepass to people that aren't comfortable with PC basics, but how do people here feel about Mozilla's Lockbox thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the point of a password manager is to shift the technical burden of managing passwords

Yes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

and authenticating where those passwords go

I would argue that it's vastly better to teach users to have some common-sense awareness of what they're doing than to have them rely on half-measures like a password manager that refuses to do its thing when it isn't satisfied.