Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

fool_of_sound posted:

level 31 at library???

I was watching some tv while grinding with increased emulation speed last night in the forest outside karnak. More than I realized, it was late and I was sort of just zoning out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Level 30 at library is a safe level for quadzerk byblos, but you might as well grind a extra 20+ levels for sandworm if you don't get another job at fire.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Freelancer/Ninja/Knight/Geomancer was pretty simple, though I didn't care enough to grind levels to take out Omega. Having Two-handed and Dual-Wield to swap between as weapons fitted was pretty silly, and !Throw was useful to plasteranime wallscroll over anything that couldn't get blended down. I think I'm gonna do an Extra Spicy Pure Chaos next and then take a break for a bit, I've done uh... more than a few runs

Bonus:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Geo Ran Thf Sum against Omega? Worth it?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do it or it ain't real.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I just don't know how to survive the onslaught of attacks. I can do a lot of damage easily with my party but I tend to die too quickly.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ehhhh? There's certainly worse parties for it, and summoner means that a) you can set up reflected searches without having to sacrifice hermes sandals/flame rings, and b) you can sandbag basically forever as long as you can keep one person alive and floating to avoid wiping to earth shaker. It still doesn't really sound fun, though.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I mean mostly I get hit with rocket punch and kill my own people.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Weird BIAS posted:

I mean mostly I get hit with rocket punch and kill my own people.

Make sure to have reflect when omega uses search and attack when Omega has targeted itself and the rocket punches won't hit you.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

e: f;b

If you reflect his Search (with Carbunkle lasting until his Search which occurs after hitting twice in a row in his AI script) his counters will only hit himself until his next attack. Well, that next attack if it's Atomic Ray (or is it the Flame Thrower?) might target on himself can be funky and hit a person if I'm remembering right but it's generally acceptable. Also, if you have enough speed and items you could just revive back from Rocket Punches and hope you don't get Encircle enough for it to matter but I probably wouldn't without a class with Haste (or Shields) so you can have Fire absorption or Reflect Rings. Also, for extra safety against that Earthquake you'll want to get Floated (using the eagle or stingray confuse trick) and you'll still have to deal with the utter dread that is Sap+Maelstrom.

blakelmenakle posted:

My Randomizer :toxx:
Counted! And, wow, what a massacre!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man with Hat posted:

Make sure to have reflect when omega uses search and attack when Omega has targeted itself and the rocket punches won't hit you.

Alternately, if you want to play more risky (but faster), Lamia Tiaras prevent Confuse and are equippable by every class except Monk. You'll be chugging Elixirs in that case though to keep from getting Wave Beam'd to dead.

On the plus, Magus Rod/Rune Bell boosted Ramuhs outdamage Bahamut for a quarter of the MP.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's more than just Monk. It's equippable by White Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Chemist, Geomancer, Bard, and Dancer.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

I thought Omega could be stopped pretty effectively, but I'm using Romeo's Ballad and it's immediately attacking afterwards. Is it only a chance to stop based on magic defense, is it just that good, or am I just bad?

I've got Summoner, Bard, and Dragoon all playing Romeo's Ballad on blast and even then the White Mage can't keep them alive long enough to even get some buffs up. It started with just one of them with plans to buff like crazy with the other two, then that didn't work so I used two for stop, then all three.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stop works on Omega, but it wears off very quickly. You have to time your songs just right. Your best bet is to have your Summoner blast Ramuh and while the other three sing. Bring Hermes Sandals.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ChristopherRobin posted:

I thought Omega could be stopped pretty effectively, but I'm using Romeo's Ballad and it's immediately attacking afterwards. Is it only a chance to stop based on magic defense, is it just that good, or am I just bad?

I've got Summoner, Bard, and Dragoon all playing Romeo's Ballad on blast and even then the White Mage can't keep them alive long enough to even get some buffs up. It started with just one of them with plans to buff like crazy with the other two, then that didn't work so I used two for stop, then all three.

He's heavy and incredibly fast so it wears off after a few ATB ticks and he'll immediately act. You need two singers with Haste shoes and staggered timing to lock him down while you set up your buffs. If you sing the Haste song enough you can get by with only one Romeo's singer but I don't usually go that route. I'm on GBA so not sure if it's harder on other platforms.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Yeah, with sing locking you can't just spam the command. You have to wait 2 (3?) ATB ticks between each sing. Just watch the ATB bar and wait for it to move.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BadMedic posted:

Yeah, with sing locking you can't just spam the command. You have to wait 2 (3?) ATB ticks between each sing. Just watch the ATB bar and wait for it to move.

Once you get locked into a pattern you can, but you have to get it stable first.

Also singing speed song makes it far more lenient. At 99 agi and hasted, you can basically lock him down with one singer.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

drat, I really have to step up my game. Going to beat NED hopefully today and try again. This is my first year and I'm really enjoying this challenge. Blown through two FJFs and one regular playthrough in the middle of those because I thought FJF was annoying my first time through, but after that the game felt too easy playing with all these OPTIONS.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ChristopherRobin posted:

drat, I really have to step up my game. Going to beat NED hopefully today and try again. This is my first year and I'm really enjoying this challenge. Blown through two FJFs and one regular playthrough in the middle of those because I thought FJF was annoying my first time through, but after that the game felt too easy playing with all these OPTIONS.

With your team, just hunker down during the tree phase and sing yourself into godhood. Put !White on the Dragoon (w/ Aegis Shield) and Bard and !Sing on the Summoner/White Mage and don't even think about doing damage until you have 99 agility, strength, magic, and level. Once done you should be able to delete NED from existence before he even acts between Syldra and Holy spam.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Kyrosiris posted:

With your team, just hunker down during the tree phase and sing yourself into godhood. Put !White on the Dragoon (w/ Aegis Shield) and Bard and !Sing on the Summoner/White Mage and don't even think about doing damage until you have 99 agility, strength, magic, and level. Once done you should be able to delete NED from existence before he even acts between Syldra and Holy spam.

Thanks! Will do. Should I be tripling up on Swift Song with my singers, or do Swift Song on my bard while my summoner does Sinewy Etude and white mage does Mana's Paean. Not sure if that will get Swift Song up faster or just waste my time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Double up, not triple, but yes. Faster you get, the faster you sing, the faster you get to 99 Agility. I like having only two singers so you don't have a "the only person not singing died, yay softlock!" situation.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Ah yeah definitely want to avoid that, I've already gotten too close to that situation with him killing either my White Mage or Dragoon (wait I just realized this is why you give the Dragoon the Aegis Shield, I'm in less danger than I thought). It's a mad dash to revive AND unpetrify before he does it to the other lol. If I do this fight again with a bard I'll probably do Hero's Song along with Swift Song. I did not realize that higher level makes it less likely for you to get hit with status effects. That or I've just been really lucky the past 20 turns with White Hole failing.

ChristopherRobin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 25, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

When I was doing bard, I mainly had 2 people singing on ned but you could do 3. I'd just wait on the 3rd guy singing until you've got enough speed built up that you're comfortable with your dragoon using life+soft stuff to get your person back up before another one can hit.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Last question, how long is this going to take. I've been working on levels and strength for the last 15 minutes. I didn't even finish Speed because it was still going after 20 minutes of dying and bringing them both back. They're supposed to stop when they hit cap, right? I'm not worried about the time it's taking, I just want to make sure they haven't already hit cap on a stat and I'm just forcing them to keep singing anyway.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Nope, they'll just keep singing until someone slaps them out of it. It really doesn't take long at all, especially if you boost Agi first.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ChristopherRobin posted:

They're supposed to stop when they hit cap, right?

No.

When your ATB bar looks like the lower of the two (i.e. it basically is already full as soon as you act) then you're maxed out on agility. Consider how long that took, then each of strength/magic/level will take somewhat less time because there wasn't the upward spiral that speed took.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

:suicide101:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
It's okay, you're just giving poor NED a chance. Now show him what real space and time distortion is all about.

edit: one more note - dead characters aren't getting the stat bonuses during a song, but they keep them when they die

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I will note that grand cross can be pretty scary is you're not ready when bard buffed. Your guys go super fast and hit crazy hard.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Yeah I started attacking after that and immediately destroyed him. He did not get a turn so yeah I'd say I capped everything.

Thanks again for all the help.

ChristopherRobin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 25, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Started my Extra Spicy run. First job: Blue mage, getting !Dance, !Iainuki, !Animals, and !Smoke for job commands.
:getin:

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 25, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Run 7: Summoner / White Mage / Time Mage / Mystic Knight

Unsurprisingly, I breezed through the game. It's weird buying every single magic spell in the game besides Death!

Omega was Quickleaked. Shinryu Zerked + Blinked. NED got Break Bladed and Magic Lamped, then bounced Holy between the two parts as MK Flare Bladed. It was the first official fiesta that I rolled Mystic Knight, so that was nice!

At this point, I think I've completed more runs this year than I have the other years combined. With Fire Emblem coming up and a vacation to plan for, this is probably it for this year. I may try to squeeze another run in before I leave, and/or one in late August. Otherwise, I'm definitely happy to have completed seven runs this year (including six Triple Crowns!), considering my previous record was a whopping two, set last year!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Since I didn't see what version Christopher Robin is using. Just like to note you can't stop lock omega on iOS/steam. It doesn't refresh status so he'll eventually get a turn.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Randomizer Run!

This was something I really wanted to try last year, but was just too inexperienced to really power through. This time, I made it! This was a mild rando, with random jobs supplied by Carbybot. Here're the skills I had at my disposal:

code:

Ranger
	Default: !Mineuchi
	Skill 0: 30 !White 1
	Skill 1: 70 !Flirt
	Skill 2: 100 !Steal
	Skill 3: 170 !Call
	Skill 4: 300 Equip Ribbon
Black Mage
	Default: !Iainuki
	Skill 0: 15 !White 2
	Skill 1: 55 !Check
	Skill 2: 85 Equip Katana
	Skill 3: 170 !Catch
	Skill 4: 280 Equip Harp
Summoner
	Default: !Rapidfire
	Skill 0: 20 Light Step
	Skill 1: 45 !Chakra
	Skill 2: 80 Barehanded
	Skill 3: 170 !Flee
	Skill 4: 380 !Control
Red Mage
	Default: !White 6
	Skill 0: 30 MP +10%
	Skill 1: 75 !Guard
	Skill 2: 110 First Strike
	Skill 3: 170 Equip Rods
	Skill 4: 370 !White 6
Having !Iainuki on BLK really sped things up before I got !Flee. !White 6 is obviously very strong, at any point in the game. Why grind for Reflect Rings when you have Reflect? I got it on 2 of my characters. I didn't use BLK's !Catch as much as I should have, pretty much only used it on W2 Exdeath, who was my biggest roadblock this run. Outside of !Catch, SMN's !Rapid-Fire was my best damage at that point. Giving them Equip Katanas for the chance at crits, having my BLK also equip the wind katana (which did a solid 1300 damage from the back row when it proc'd), and RDM and RAN on heal duty.

Once I got Holy, though, the game pretty much fell apart. I had two people hurling Holy at NED, my summoner was !Rapid-Firing the chicken knife. And Ranger was plinking away with Yoichi's bow. Having !White made things absurdly safe, though I did grind levels just for security.

I really enjoyed this. Maybe next time I try it I'll plan out an extra spicy version. Thanks for the challenge, Doom Goon!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Run #4: Advance — Blue Mage / Beastmaster / Dragoon / Oracle

Super easy run. It's amazing how unscary NED is with Mighty Guard. Shinryu got the Power Staff treatment, although I couldn't blind him very easily and had to burn a bunch of Phoenix Downs. Omega got !Calm locked and stabbed with two Tridents. Blue Mage is very broken if you know how it works. Getting Beastmaster after the Water Crystal allowed me to learn White Wind in W1 and from then on I was nearly invincible. I didn't even have to mess with !Catch too much, just some instant death shenanigans and unleashing Yellow Dragons on W2Ex. Oracle was okay, the super high magic stat meant they could keep up even though they can't equip Air Knife, Magus Rod, etc. etc. It's okay though since !Condemn or !Predict made random battles trivial.

Why fight random battles, do you ask?

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

:toxx:

$25 up to a max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Completions: Edward_Tohr, Mega64, Samuel Clemens, ssmagus, Nasgate, 1234567890num

:getin:

16 jobs down, 9 to go!

Bregor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 26, 2019

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

Hackan Slash posted:

The Bravely games have the closest systems and I'm surprised they've never tried anything fiesta like with them.

I'm convinced it's because there's no easy way to separate the classes into 4 groups. Also because BD mid-game is mind numbingly bad. Though being able to skip classes would remedy this a lot.

Wut, just installed the awful app on my phone and as far as I knew the post I was replying to was the latest in the thread oops

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

This run was... pretty easy.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

What, how, when, where, who

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

ChristopherRobin posted: